Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexy street harassment

Options
  • 29-10-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I saw this video this morning:

In case you can't watch it, its a montage of a woman walking around New York silently, receiving lots of random attempted chat up lines and some sexist remarks, based purely on how well she looks (In fairness, HOT DAYUM).

The video says at the end there was 100+ instances of verbal harassment during the 10 hour experiment.. I dunno, one of the ones on video was "Hey Beautiful, have a good day", would that fall under harassment? I'd be delighted if a woman said that to me when I was walking down the road :P

In fairness, there's one creepy guy who just follows her around for five minutes, this and a few of the comments are completely not on.

So what's peoples thoughts on this? Have any men or women here ever experienced similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Much more likely to happen in the US than here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I saw this video this morning:

In case you can't watch it, its a montage of a woman walking around New York silently, receiving lots of random attempted chat up lines and some sexist remarks, based purely on how well she looks (In fairness, HOT DAYUM).

The video says at the end there was 100+ instances of verbal harassment during the 10 hour experiment.. I dunno, one of the ones on video was "Hey Beautiful, have a good day", would that fall under harassment? I'd be delighted if a woman said that to me when I was walking down the road :P

In fairness, there's one creepy guy who just follows her around for five minutes, this and a few of the comments are completely not on.

So what's peoples thoughts on this? Has any men or women here ever experienced similar?

Give it ten years and she will be unhappy she is not getting random attention. :v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I dunno, the only ones that weren't harmless, imo (and I'm not her so take with pinch of salt..) were the two weirdos that walked alongside her for an odd amount of time.

Hi how are you.. is that really harassment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The kind of guys that shout out random stuff to good looking women in the street give the rest of us, who prefer a discreet perv, a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does that happen to women in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

You would swear these guys never saw a woman before in their lives.

Definitely not as much as that.

There are probably a fair percent of the people in that video would have passed some comment or other no matter who walked past too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So what's peoples thoughts on this? Has any men or women here ever experienced similar?
    A lot of women would have experienced something like this and, after a while, even the innocuous ones are unwelcome because what it boils down to is that you can't step outside your house without people judging you on what you look like and what you wear, and feeling free to comment on that. It influences how you act and what you wear (I have clothes that I can't wear because I'm afraid of attracting comments). It's basically reducing a woman to a thing that you can say what you like about because, hey, she shouldn't have breasts if she doesn't want people to comment an them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Yeah, having a giant American Eagle on your backside doesn't draw attention to it, also 10 hours of walking and 2 minutes of footage - and this was the worse stuff.

I'm not implying this is right, it's not. But these kinda 'videos' that pop up online have to be taken with a pinch of salt. You never know whats staged and whats not. That guy following her was creepy though.

O yeah, and don't forget to donate to the Hollaback! foundation who are dedicated to ending street harrasement - how exactly are they planning on doing that now?

It reminds me of that video that was recently on the web of some guys getting refused food from random people eating in the street before getting some pizza from a homeless guy - a pizza that they gave hime for free. Yeah, theres no difference at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Let's make it illegal. Looking at people, talking to people, trying to start a conversation, trying to chat someone up? Penalties upon conviction?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It does.

I think what makes it so annoying and at times outright creepy is not the one guy saying "Hi sweetie, have a nice day". It's the fact that there are so many of them doing it.

And, truth be told, as a woman you tend not to think "Great, he noticed how lovely my hair looks today", you tend to think "He's talking at me, what's he going to do next? Is he watching? Will he start following me? Should I step into that shop to throw him off my trail?"

It's not nice, it's scary.
    Yes, some of them probably really don't have any ulterior motives and are just trying to be nice, but how do you know which one of them is the one who will turn out to be the nutcase you need to be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

kylith wrote: »
    A lot of women would have experienced something like this and, after a while, even the innocuous ones are unwelcome because what it boils down to is that you can't step outside your house without people judging you on what you look like and what you wear, and feeling free to comment on that. It influences how you act and what you wear (I have clothes that I can't wear because I'm afraid of attracting comments). It's basically reducing a woman to a thing that you can say what you like about because, hey, she shouldn't have breasts if she doesn't want people to comment an them.

Why do you own them? Not being argumentative, I'm just wondering why? Stupid impulse buys like the bright green velvet jacket I own? (yes, i was sober)

I like it when I'm walking along the street and exchange smiles. It's the mildest of flirting. I do think open comments can be a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Remember the video of the builders shouting lovely, life affirming stuff at women walking down the street? That was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭LeBash

So Irish women wear tight fitting clothes and a lot of skin on show because in December its comfortable and not to attract attention?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Oh FFS!!!

So "Hey beautiful, have a great day!" is fucking harassment now??

Friggin' American prudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Shenshen wrote: »
    It does.

I think what makes it so annoying and at times outright creepy is not the one guy saying "Hi sweetie, have a nice day". It's the fact that there are so many of them doing it.

And, truth be told, as a woman you tend not to think "Great, he noticed how lovely my hair looks today", you tend to think "He's talking at me, what's he going to do next? Is he watching? Will he start following me? Should I step into that shop to throw him off my trail?"

It's not nice, it's scary.
    Yes, some of them probably really don't have any ulterior motives and are just trying to be nice, but how do you know which one of them is the one who will turn out to be the nutcase you need to be aware of?

Of course a woman should be allowed to walk down the street without feeling harassed, but surely a man should be allowed to make a nice remark without being judged as some sort of pervert or worse.

Grayson wrote: »
    Why do you own them? Not being argumentative, I'm just wondering why? Stupid impulse buys like the bright green velvet jacket I own? (yes, i was sober)
    Impulse buys, or something that I thought looked ok but isn't (sometimes it's not until you have it on properly at home that you find that it's lower cut than you thought), or even things that you think are fine, but you keep getting comments when you wear it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Nonsense.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

I'd safely assume most good looking woman, if not all woman, have experienced it to some extent in Ireland. I know I have.

I've had cars beeping their horns at me and men shouting out the window. It's usually just harmless stuff 'heya gorgeous' but it's still humiliating. I know men always think they'd love it if women were shouting heya handsome at them in the street but it doesn't work that way for woman. Sometimes it's playful and I brush it off, but other times it can be quite intimidating or just plain disgusting!

I was living in Brixton in London recently and I couldn't leave the house without being harassed. That was properly scary at times. I'd go across the street to buy some milk and have men hissing at me and saying things like 'heyyy white girl, shake it for me'. I used to find it funny telling my boyfriend some of things I heard afterwards but at the time it was pretty frightening!!

I was in New York when I was 17 and I got loads of hassle there too. I remember one man in particular saying to me 'hey baby, your skin is so white, your body is so pure'. Shudder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Of course a woman should be allowed to walk down the street without feeling harassed, but surely a man should be allowed to make a nice remark without being judged as some sort of pervert or worse.

maybe you could think it, and give the other person the right not to have your opinions on them shared without their assent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Are some women really freaked out by men passing comments, to the point where they won't wear certain clothes?!

I'm female, and tbh, I couldn't give a monkeys.

I wear whatever i feel like wearing. If it attracts comment, whatever. If it doesn't, whatever.

I'd never be careful how I dress so as to avoid comment from men. I don't see the big deal. If they call you beautiful, say thanks. If they're creepy, tell them to fcuk off.

LeBash wrote: »
    So Irish women wear tight fitting clothes and a lot of skin on show because in December its comfortable and not to attract attention?
    I can't comment on why people may choose to wear what they wear. However I'm sure that you'll agree that there is a vast difference between a woman wearing skimpy clothing when out for the night, and a woman such as the one in the video who wasn't wearing anything that remarkable.
    Rightwing wrote: »
    Nonsense.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'd safely assume most good looking woman, if not all woman, have experienced it to some extent in Ireland. I know I have.

I've had cars beeping their horns at me and men shouting out the window. It's usually just harmless stuff 'heya gorgeous' but it's still humiliating. I know men always think they'd love it if women were shouting heya handsome at them in the street but it doesn't work that way for woman. Sometimes it's playful and I brush it off, but other times it can be quite intimidating or just plain disgusting!

I was living in Brixton in London recently and I couldn't leave the house without being harassed. That was properly scary at times. I'd go across the street to buy some milk and have men hissing at me and saying things like 'heyyy white girl, shake it for me'. I used to find it funny telling my boyfriend some of things I heard afterwards but at the time it was pretty frightening!!

I was in New York when I was 17 and I got loads of hassle there too. I remember one man in particular saying to me 'hey baby, your skin is so white, your body is so pure'. Shudder!!!

Were they black racists having a pop at whites? Getting their own back eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Does she want to bring back slavery?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Those 2 guys following her were slimy bastards, alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

LeBash wrote: »

I wear tight clothes because they're comfortable to me, as that's what I'm used to wearing. Also because I look like a heifer in baggy clothes.

Showing off skin isn't a comfort thing, but I don't see how tight clothing isn't a comfort choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Tabnabs wrote: »
    maybe you could think it, and give the other person the right not to have your opinions on them shared without their assent?

I wouldn't think it as imparting my opinion so much as giving a harmless (or what I would consider harmless) compliment.

Obviously some comments can be too extreme.

biko wrote: »

That one escalated quickly

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

No, I don't think it had anything to with race in Brixton really. The majority of people there are black to be fair but there's a fair clatter of white people there now too.

it's just men hanging around on Brixton hill drinking cans of cheap p*ss. They probably mean no harm and are just bored or they find it funny. It never really bothered me but one time a gang of about four men started walking in front of me and circling me. That was scary and taking it too far.

i think that's what it comes down to. No women is gonna mind a man saying' Hey sexy. have a good day'. You might even be flattered. It's just knowing where to draw the line between the messers and the genuine weirdos who could actually harm you. There's an underlying fear that's been instilled in woman to be on your guard in case you're dragged down a lane-way and raped! Sad but true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement