Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Another month, another GB3 rumor. Murray is on. Murray is off. Reboot. Sequel. Reboot with previous cast members. Casting speculation/hype. New script by writers from The Office. Dan Aykroyd goes on show to plug it. New script. More casting rumors. Murray is on. Murray is off.

Point is, the project's been in limbo for 25 years (barring the video game, which most seem to consider the pseudo-third film anyway). Unless I see actors on set shooting scenes, the project is dead. This is another meaningless "update" trying to build hype.

They couldn't ****ing do it with all the time when they were all alive, and now they want to do it with this crowd..........eff off, please.

Any combination of Louis CK - Simon Pegg - Hannibal Buress - Chris Pratt - - Richard Ayoade would be my dream combination.

Kaitlin Olsen or Emma Stone too.

I don't want a Ghostbusters sequel is that essentially bridesmaids crossed with the Heat.

groundhog-day-bill-murray-toaster-bath.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Variety seem to suggest this may be an entirely separate project from Ghostbusters 3
    “Ghostbusters 3″ was initially supposed to be directed by Ivan Reitman, the director of the original “Ghostbusters” and its 1989 follow-up, “Ghostbusters II,” but he dropped out in March. It’s unclear whether another director will be chosen for that project or if this reboot will take its place.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul-feig-ghostbusters-comedy-reboot-1201274332/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just let it die already.

See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

At this stage, I think we're being trolled by Bill Murray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Between this and Studio Ghibli being murdered I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Between this and Studio Ghibli being murdered I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 etc,etc now...

I imagine that there will a scene where McCarthy and Slimer try to our eat one another. I can't see this being anything other than a cheap, lowest common denominator comedy that's more concerned with cheap grips out comedy than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

This is terrible news. Another piece of my childhood ruined!!

As someone mentioned above it will be nothing but a cheap low brow comedy with gross out moments, more than likely involving Melissa McCarthy (who is about as funny as a fart in space suit).

Hopefully the original cast stay away from this garbage.

I wonder how long it will take for Hollywood to s*it on the likes of Back to the Future, with someone like Zach Effron as Marty McFly.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

CPSW wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take for Hollywood to s*it on the likes of Back to the Future, with someone like Zach Effron as Marty McFly.......

I'm blaming you if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Bacchus wrote: »
    I'm blaming you if this happens.

It's Tinsel town, nothing is sacred! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now, are people forgetting Ghostbusters 2? Childhoods have already been ruined ;) :cool:

As to the news, well I'll believe it when I see it; this project has been trapped in production limbo for so long it's difficult to think it'll ever see the light of day. As with most of these sorts of remakes and sequels nobody asked for, it can only disappoint when stacked up against the original. Least Dan Ackroyd will get a payday to keep his conspiracy theorising well funded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

As someone mentioned above it will be nothing but a cheap low brow comedy with gross out moments, more than likely involving Melissa McCarthy (who is about as funny as a fart in space suit).

Hopefully the original cast stay away from this garbage.

You're safe enough with BttF... don't think it'll happen: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/back-to-the-future/32111/why-back-to-the-future-iv-never-happened

But I am actually ok with the Ghostbusters news tbh. Personally I think it will be different enough not to taint the other films. If they had got the surviving members together and the film stunk, THEN it would have tainted it. If they got an all new male cast it just wouldn't have been the same... so going all-female is the best way to do it.

I saw a few dream line-ups on twitter last night, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy was one I saw that could work, but I wouldn't be sure of it actually happening. Someone mentioned Kaitlin Olsen has already been mentioned on the thread, that's a great shout.

Brendão wrote: »
    I saw a few dream line-ups on twitter last night, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy was one I saw that could work, .

Awful, awful, awful shower them lot.
    A few gimmicky laughs on SNL does not a Ghostbuster make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That's super harsh!

Who would your ideal cast be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yup because they've only every done SNL and nothing else.

Personally I think they should leave Ghostbusters well enough alone but Poehler, Fey and Wiig are funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Online every thread I see who has mentioned the "Ideal Cast" of Poehler, Fey and Wiig and McCarthy has always come the same agreement.

Poehler, Fey and Wiig together might be funny enough to pull it off.

But not McCarthy.

A few 'gimmicky' laughs on SNL is exactly what made Ghostbusters of Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray. John Belushi would have played Peter Venkman but for his death.

Between SNL + Ghostbusters, Aykroyd just did The Blues Brothers, Harold Ramis did Stripes and Murray did Caddyshack and Stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jesus. "A female cast" generates an awful lot of hate. What the ****s that about.

Paul Feig has a pretty solid track record on both film and TV as far as I can tell. And anything's better than dragging out old and haggard cast members just to appease some rose tinted spectacle wearing fanboys. If they can manage to leave most of that rubbish behind then my interest is piqued. "A female cast" means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I rather see one with current funny guys like Bill Burr, Chris Rock, Jim Gaffigan Richard Ayoade or have Sarah Silverman/Kristen Wig if they must.

Bill Burr flipping out about trying to work the equipment and ghosts would have me on the floor. You know that would be gold.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    That's super harsh!

Who would your ideal cast be?

My ideal cast would be none.

It's done. It should be left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

There will be one or two curveballs in casting. Maybe two of Poehler, Wiig, McCarthy and Fey but I'd be surprised if all 4 are cast.

Studio suits will want younger women that appeal to the younger demographic. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Emma Stone, Shailene Woodley or even Emma Watson pursued.

I wouldn't dismiss the potential of the film anyway. There's no reason why an all female line up can't work if what they're working off is good enough.

I don't really have a problem with an all female Ghostbusters. What's really annoying is that it's a reboot. Why can't it be set in the same universe, bunch of women in a different city are inspired by the originals to set up their own franchise. You know they're going to get Akroyd in for a cameo or something anyway. Making it a reboot seems completely needless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Goodshape wrote: »
    Jesus. "A female cast" generates an awful lot of hate. What the ****s that about.

Paul Feig has a pretty solid track record on both film and TV as far as I can tell. And anything's better than dragging out old and haggard cast members just to appease some rose tinted spectacle wearing fanboys. If they can manage to leave most of that rubbish behind then my interest is piqued. "A female cast" means nothing.

Of course it means something. It's completely and utterly changing the dynamic. Not wanting to change such dynamic does not a fanboy make, nor does it make people in anyway sexiest, which is the rubbish I've heard spouted from some who have no problem with this.

The fact it's a reboot makes it worse. There's a slight chance it would work as a Ghostbusters movie if it was a completely separate world to the orginals. As for 'old and haggard' cast members, they are the very reason the franchis is much loved and yearned for it to be done properly.

Wiig is a very good actress actually, would have no problem seeing her in it. Wouldn't suit Fey and Poehler IMO and McCarthy a definite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I don't really have a problem with an all female Ghostbusters. What's really annoying is that it's a reboot. Why can't it be set in the same universe, bunch of women in a different city are inspired by the originals to set up their own franchise. You know they're going to get Akroyd in for a cameo or something anyway. Making it a reboot seems completely needless.

Completely needless. Thinks this will be the headline in the future when they look back on this Hollywood era.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hollywood needs new ideas. Ghostbusters is a classic, it's part of an era, the unique qualities of which inform it and make it what it is. Rebooting it is such a futile artistic exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My picks for new cast would be the likes of Lizzy Caplan, Mindy Kaling, Aubrey Plaza and Jennifer Lawrence

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    My picks for new cast would be the likes of Lizzy Caplan, Mindy Kaling, Aubrey Plaza and Jennifer Lawrence

Interesting choices. I think the much mooted Bridesmaids reunion has serious potential to backfire especially as Bridesmaids is, as has been pointed out, quite gross out which Ghostbusters never really was. I rewatched Ghostbusters there recently and I never actually guffawed, it's a very wry humour and certainly if you were going in that direction I could see your cast pulling it off and it's definitely a cast I'd enjoy seeing in tight jumpsuits ;). I think Brie Larsson could be a good shout as well.

• Advertisement

Didn't know it was being called a reboot, that's not a good idea. The same universe where Ghostbusters are needed again would make far more sense and allows for cameos from the old crew.

Advertisement