Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

EyeSight wrote: »
    Any way to watch last season online(legally :) ) as a recap? Hulu only has 3 seasons, netflix usa had 3 seasons but they have been taken down. Other than order the DVDs I can't find a way
    I've watched Seasons 1-3 on Hulu, now like you I want to see Season 4. Another post below yours suggested youtube, but I can only seem to find short clips. For example Season 4, Episode 1 has multiple clips which would be fine but I don't know what order they should be watched. Although I can find an online episode guide, I can't find a guide to the scenes within each episode.

I thought I was in luck when I found these but RTE have blocked them on copyright grounds:
    Season 4 Episode 1 Vital Scenes

[Even if I could find Season 4 on Hulu, I'm having problems accessing Hulu even with a VPN. If I can't sort that out, will cancel my subscription.]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    ;)

The whole point of the rewatch is to jog my memory. I was lost last night on first viewing of the new episode.

i know what the point is :pac:

maybe you could just watch 4 then & by reading synopsis of episodes from the other seasons it'll remind you of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    ;)

The whole point of the rewatch is to jog my memory. I was lost last night on first viewing of the new episode.

Seasons 2, 3 and 4 have the events that lead into season 5 such as the pipeboming of Fran's wife by Nidge (2), Tommy's condition (3, 4), who Lizzie is and why she was a danger to Nidge (3, 4), who Paddy Pipebomb is (2, 4) and so on. Season 1's events are not related to current events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Some of the criticism here is one of the reasons I got out of filmmaking. After decades of under achievement in TV drama, we finally nail it and now it's dissected more than worms in a leaving certificate biology class. Is it because the writer is Irish? Is it because it's an Irish based and casted show?

Honestly lads, Vikings is also a predominately Irish TV show, but doesn't receive nearly as much in depth criticism. Are the Irish as viewers really so insecure about Irish produced TV, that we have to resort to such low levels of criticism in an era where we are actually starting to make inroads? I'm all for criticism, but some of it comes across as if our TV/Filmaking lives depend on it.

You can blame RTE and their "this is up there with the Sopranos" crap. It simply isnt and they do the show no favours with the pandering. It's a decent show and i think its' popularity is down to the fact that it is irish, set in locations we all know, touches on the gang problem that we have here and, most importantly, is shot in a very stylised way that people like. It's bright and shiny. But it isnt close to Sopranos or Breaking Bad or their level in my opinion

Ps. what films have you made?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

Peist2007 wrote: »
    You can blame RTE and their "this is up there with the Sopranos" crap. It simply isnt and they do the show no favours with the pandering. It's a decent show and i think its' popularity is down to the fact that it is irish, set in locations we all know, touches on the gang problem that we have here and, most importantly, is shot in a very stylised way that people like. It's bright and shiny. But it isnt close to Sopranos or Breaking Bad or their level in my opinion

Ps. what films have you made?

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad had multi-million dollar budgets for each episode. Love/Hate has around 500-600K euro. Are you actually serious, comparing it to those American cable shows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Actually was better than I though it would be, hopes were not high after season 4!

Couple of things still stand out as wft mooments, the attempted hit on Nidge was almost as badly executed as Nidge's attempt the season before....5 of them ambushed him, but the only fella with a gun seemingly the oine not able to get near him, it just made no sense.

Fran and Elmo also having a personality swap was quite strange.

Storyline has far more potential this year though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's certainly setting the stage for a good season.

Remind me why Nidge wanted the IRA girl shot ?

she wanted to have him killed yeah ? her Dad was the lad who they buried out in Frans farm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Still can't figure out why the traveller guy didn't take the 10k and gave it back to Nidge saying he should use it to buy a headstone. Did that mean that the traveller guy was still going to try to kill Nidge?

I think Paddy is going to kill Warren.

Super-Rush wrote: »

That'd be too low ..even for Love Hate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Hugh Too wrote: »
    Ruth was great. Plus she didn't mind getting the mini baps out !

ha- yeah remember that- bee stings. Dominic Cooper is obvioulsy not a breast man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I too found the flashback/flash fowards scenes slightly jarring - mainly because in the opening Patrick was coming home on the boat and the timeline suggested Nidge and Elmo were heading out to Spain at the same time - but that was a flash forward at that stage Patrick and his gang had already weilded their slash hooks - It was easy to get confused here -

Set up wise for the rest of the series there is a lot of loose threads that needed tidying up from the end of the last series. I see Siobhan getting stronger with Paulie and actually double crossing the police - the bone has to be found by the police implicating Fran - Patrick and his gang will be in for a landing methinks - the relationship between Patrick and his son and Nidge and his son makes me feel one of those boys is in a dangerous position but I hope they don't go down that route ... I think it would finish Nidge if anything happened to his son.

Either way I was glued to the opener -

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Right, that's it, I've signed up to clarify a few things for people because this is getting rather annoying.

trashcan wrote: »

Fran and Elmo seemed to have had personality transplants, and this is within weeks of the end of the last series. Elmo way too confident and in control now. Remember him begging for his life from Darren in Series 3 ? or pleading that he wasn't a rat in the last series ?

It's not a personality transplant, its a situation transplant. Of course Elmo is more confident now, he's safe and not at risk of being shot in the head and buried.

Fran the psycho also seemed to cave in very easily to Nidge (though I accept this might not be over by a long way. )

Cave in way too easily? He was about to be killed, of course he begged for his life. Fran has guards all over him and has never had much of a gang to begin with. He was put in his place by Nidge (as even Nidge said) and reminded that Nidge has the capability to pick him up at any time and have him killed at any time.
    Paddy the pipebomber had to run in fear of his life from Nidge in the last series, now he has an army ready to take him on

That was explained. Initially he left because he didn't want all the trouble it would have brought if he stayed. But as we saw, he couldn't deal with not being able to visit his dead son's grave and that's why he came to Dublin. This was spelled out when he returns to the campsite and the woman approaches him and asks why did he come back when it was only going to cause trouble. Paddy realizes he has to take out Nidge or he'll always be looking over his shoulder and that's what he attempts to do.
    and is cocksure enough to tell Nidge to shove his money and directly threaten him (use it to buy a headstone).

He wasn't cocksure enough, initially he says that he wants the whole thing over with but he perceives that Nidge was taking the piss out of him and anyone that knows travellers will know that their culture values respect over all else, the guy saw red and at that point was never going to shake hands with a person that he thought had disrespected his son (remember this is a man that already has a dead son and is obviously incredibly protective of his children as a result). That's sit down was very realistic, when you get volatile people like that who are incredibly weary of each other then the slightest perceived slight can spiral very quickly out of control.

Few more things that people have brought up:

People are saying its unrealistic that Fran would keep a finger in a fridge with guards all over him for the dentists murder. I don't think that caravan is actually where Fran lives, just somewhere he goes to get out of it so I doubt the guards know where it is. Secondly, he wasn't hiding it in the fridge he obviously put it there on one of his mushie/weed/whatever binges and forgot about it.

People are asking why didn't the traveller just take the money and kill Nidge anyway? I don't think people here are familiar with travellers, to take the money after Paddy had perceived that Nidge had directly insulted his son would have shameful to any proud traveller and to be honest most travellers don't care much for money (they'll be worth millions but still live in a caravan, steal and not be flash in anyway)

Anyway here's what I think will happen. Nidge's shipment gets intercepted by the guards and he has no way to pay back Terrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

the_monkey wrote: »
    It's certainly setting the stage for a good season.

Remind me why Nidge wanted the IRA girl shot ?

she wanted to have him killed yeah ? her Dad was the lad who they buried out in Frans farm ?

no that was Dano's dad. Her brothers were IRA henchmen and she killed Darren

Nidge wanted her shot because he was tipped off that she was about to kill him. Notice that the hitman was the same kid that was stashing guns for her in the last season. Paulie obviously had your man in his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Didn't nidge say to Elmo, I need you to come to Spain with me in two weeks, shortly before the ambush. Maybe I picked it up wrong

yea your right, he did. But the fight with the travellers may still have been a while before that though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Putinovsky wrote: »
    Anyway here's what I think will happen. Nidge's shipment gets intercepted by the guards and he has no way to pay back Terrence.

Yes, more than likely this is what will happen at some stage. This leaves Nidge in a very serious situation with BOTH Terence and also Tony. He may use Tony then to go after Terrence and then he has Tony and the IRA paid and Terrence gone.

As I predict, Nidge and Fran will go from friend to enemy back to friend again. Nidge and Fran will be faced with situations where both need each other I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

People are saying its unrealistic that Fran would keep a finger in a fridge with guards all over him for the dentists murder. I don't think that caravan is actually where Fran lives,
    just somewhere he goes to get out of it so I doubt the guards know where it is. S
    The series has never shown him living anywhere else.
    Secondly, he wasn't hiding it in the fridge he obviously put it there on one of his mushie/weed/whatever binges and forgot about it.
    It was referenced in the last one or two episodes of Season 4 by Fran...'I have a bone to pick with you Nidgy' so I don't think 'he forgot about it' washes really or is a plausible point.
    We can only go on what we see and I saw somebody cool and ready to be questioned by the Gardai over the dentists murder...he knew he was in the frame even at the time of the murder. He knew the cops where all over Nidges drug running operation, yet we are asked to believe that he doesn't bother searching for the bone of a victim, he has left somewhere?

The annoying thing about these lapses in plausibility (the entire series is littered with them) and the way motivations are sledgehammered to suit storylines, is that it needn't be that way in almost all cases. A half decent script editor would iron out these flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The series has never shown him living anywhere else.

It was referenced in the last one or two episodes of Season 4 by Fran...'I have a bone to pick with you Nidgy' so I don't think 'he forgot about it' washes really or is a plausible point.
    We can only go on what we see and I saw somebody cool and ready to be questioned by the Gardai over the dentists murder...he knew he was in the frame even at the time of the murder. He knew the cops where all over Nidges drug running operation, yet we are asked to believe that he doesn't bother searching for the bone of a victim, he has left somewhere?

The annoying thing about these lapses in plausibility (the entire series is littered with them) and the way motivations are sledgehammered to suit storylines, is that it needn't be that way in almost all cases. A half decent script editor would iron out these flaws.
    he has a house in dublin.....swan boy took a dump in it

Nidge wanted her shot because he was tipped off that she was about to kill him. Notice that the hitman was the same kid that was stashing guns for her in the last season. Paulie obviously had your man in his pocket.
    was the hitman not the chap that killed the guy that was stashing her guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Just to clarify for you

A. Wayne from last season did a lot more than stash hardware for Lizzie
    B. Guinea offed Lizzie, not Wayne
    C. Guinea is in Elmo/ Nidge's pocket, not Paulie's - Nidge paid him his wages, Paulie is only back in town what 5 minutes

• Advertisement

He wasn't cocksure enough, initially he says that he wants the whole thing over with but he perceives that Nidge was taking the piss out of him and anyone that knows travellers will know that their culture values respect over all else, the guy saw red and at that point was never going to shake hands with a person that he thought had disrespected his son (remember this is a man that already has a dead son and is obviously incredibly protective of his children as a result). That's sit down was very realistic, when you get volatile people like that who are incredibly weary of each other then the slightest perceived slight can spiral very quickly out of control.

Young lad would never have been brought along, much less walked into and interrupted a major sit down

was the hitman not the chap that killed the guy that was stashing her guns?

Either way, hes from her estate, his mate was stashing guns for her, I personally deciphered that he knew that something was about to happen and informed Paulie who informed Nidge.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Just to clarify for you

A. Wayne from last season did a lot more than stash hardware for Lizzie
    B. Guinea offed Lizzie, not Wayne
    C. Guinea is in Elmo/ Nidge's pocket, not Paulie's - Nidge paid him his wages, Paulie is only back in town what 5 minutes

Still, Guinea was mates with Wayne and from what I gathered he knows Lizzie and was probably stashing guns and doing jobs for her too.

Was it not Paulie who goes "heres the lad now"?, obviously Nidge would pay because the hit was for Nidge. Also Paulie would know all the players in Dublin so the fact that hes only just back in Dublin would mean little, sure his gang would be sending the drugs from Spain to Dublin so he obviously has people on the ground in Dublin.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Young lad would never have been brought along, much less walked into and interrupted a major sit down

There was no chance of violence breaking out, the child was kept away from the sit down itself but from what I gathered the mom sent the kid over on purpose to remind Paddy just what was at stake (remember the kid goes "mom sent me over to you)

Super-Rush wrote: »

Do you actually think that?

Never been done in the annals of modern Irish gang warfare. That would be like something out of Mexico City.

And Pa himself seems very much on the relatively soft end of the psycho spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

he has a house in dublin.....swan boy took a dump in it

I'll take your word for it...doesn't dilute my point though. Nidge didn't live at the warehouse either and the cops where all over that. Anybody involved at this level of criminality would expect similar scrutiny. Fran took a risk that was out of character and was cheaply playing for laughs to the 'your some boyo, coolaboola Fran' fans.
    Dramatic licence has to thread a fine line in dramas like this.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I too found the flashback/flash fowards scenes slightly jarring - mainly because in the opening Patrick was coming home on the boat and the timeline suggested Nidge and Elmo were heading out to Spain at the same time - but that was a flash forward at that stage Patrick and his gang had already weilded their slash hooks - It was easy to get confused here -

Set up wise for the rest of the series there is a lot of loose threads that needed tidying up from the end of the last series. I see Siobhan getting stronger with Paulie and actually double crossing the police - the bone has to be found by the police implicating Fran - Patrick and his gang will be in for a landing methinks - the relationship between Patrick and his son and Nidge and his son makes me feel one of those boys is in a dangerous position but I hope they don't go down that route ... I think it would finish Nidge if anything happened to his son.

Either way I was glued to the opener -

I hope not, the Guards needs a break in this show, I'm tired of the scumbags always being the heroes ..

the_monkey wrote: »
    I hope not, the Guards needs a break in this show, I'm tired of the scumbags always being the heroes ..

In my opinion last season they tried to go with the 'hero garda angle' and it was the worst season by some distance.

Either way, hes from her estate, his mate was stashing guns for her, I personally deciphered that he knew that something was about to happen and informed Paulie who informed Nidge.
    no i'd say it was far more simple....big balls knew nidge's house was in disarray, and sent paulie to clean it up....most importantly to remove all threats.....two names known to nidge would be Paddy pipebomb and lizzy. Paulie weighed up the situation and decided Paddy pipebomb was too big a threat to fall out with, and lizzy was disposable.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'll take your word for it...doesn't dilute my point though. Nidge didn't live at the warehouse either and the cops where all over that. Anybody involved at this level of criminality would expect similar scrutiny. Fran took a risk that was out of character and was cheaply playing for laughs to the 'your some boyo, coolaboola Fran' fans.
    Dramatic licence has to thread a fine line in dramas like this.
    take my word for it??? nidge pipebombed the bloody place and it's still integral to todays storyline!

Advertisement