Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I think Paddy wants to take out Nidge in a similar way to how Nidge took out Lizzie, the last remaining threat from the splinter group IRA formed by her friend Dano. Paddy refused the money perhaps because he feels Nidge would have him killed anyway. He may decide to go after Fran as well? But it will be a costly mistake as Nidge will have him killed.

In fairness, if Paddy is still gunning for nidge it will be a farce. Paddy is made out to be a sensible lad. Nidge came to him apologising, so I reckon from Paddy's point of view, things are settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Because he knows that Nidge is not his own boss anymore and he is now having to take orders from someone else and one of those orders is not to kill him.
    But nobody is ordering him not to kill Nidge, and Nidge knows that now and he also knows now that the traveller is not afraid of him.

Huh?:confused:, why would anyone order paddy not to kill nidge? Don't really understand what you mean there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

lufties wrote: »
    In fairness, if Paddy is still gunning for nidge it will be a farce. Paddy is made out to be a sensible lad. Nidge came to him apologising, so I reckon from Paddy's point of view, things are settled.

Nidge will more than likely get someone to have him killed since he's in the mood to preemptively get rid of enemies who may surface as threats as he proved with Lizzie (who he was right about: her last moments were her preparing to go and kill Nidge).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I reckon from Paddy's point of view, things are settled.

Agreed.

I think too that if and however Fran finds out about Linda it won't be from Paddy, he's to much the man of principle and he keeps on reiterating that he tells no one nothing.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I see the Paddy the pipe bomber scenario as follows,

Paddy left Ireland to protect his and his family's life but returned because he had a child underground and couldn't bare to be away form the child.

At the halting site his mother (or whoever she was) asked him why he was bringing all this trouble on them.

Paddy want's this to stop and that's why his opening words to Nigel were "I want this knocked on the head" I believe his refusal to accept the money was purely a principle thing & that comment about buying the headstone was merely a reference to the amount of people gunning for Nigel.

I believe that as far as it goes Paddy thinks the whole thing is over and done with, now, whether Nigel sees it like that is a different matter.

the actress that played Paddy's mother/ wife was the daughter in The Family. Remember her working in Captain America's on Grafton Street around the time also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_(1994_TV_series)#mediaviewer/File:Familydvdrdoyle.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Huh?:confused:, why would anyone order paddy not to kill nidge? Don't really understand what you mean there.

I meant that there is nothing or no-one stopping Paddy from killing Nidge. Whereas Nidge is under orders. Paddy knows Nidge and he knows what Nidge is capable of and he realised that when Nidge took out the money he was safe, for now, but that Nidge wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DVDM93 wrote: »
    It isn't Breaking Bad/The Sopranos/The Wire, etc... no one expected that, but it isn't Fair City either. It's the first decent bit of Irish TV there has been in a while and for now I'll sit back and enjoy :) Sure it has gone weak since the first 3 seasons, but how many other shows have gone like that with a bigger budget, better resources, etc... Prison Break, Dexter, etc... Yes there are flaws, particularly some lazy story lines recently. People who say things on this thread like "I think 'x' should have happened for whatever reason is ok, it's constructive criticism and after all this is a discussion thread about the programme. It's no different to the likes of soccer analysis. It's alright to complain about things your team are doing but still support them. Similarly, it's ok to criticise the show constructively, i.e. "I would have preferred to see this happening as it would have made thr storyline better.

But it's the people who have been saying since nearly day one that the programme is complete and utter ****e but continue to watch it that puzzle me. If ya don't like it and think it's ****e, don't watch it. It's that easy.
    i think it's far superior to breaking bad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LaVail wrote: »
    anyone know what version of "im sticking with you" was playing during the closing credits?

I only recognise it from the soundtrack of the film "Juno" and pretty sure it is the exact same version, which google suggests was "The Velvet Underground"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We won't go mad now and say something ridiculous..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Each to their own..................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

bazermc wrote: »
    I am predicting the bold Tommy to be dead by 10:30 tonight

Ill eat my hat if I am wrong :o

How's that hat tasting? :p
    macslash wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X6t3EklZC8

Anyone notice Paulie as your man from this ad?!

'It wrecks the cheeese...'
    Knew I saw him somewhere before, cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Hugh Too wrote: »
    That can't be right. Was he not there before and after he got his head split open?

they were all flashbacks - if you look at the opening scene with Nidge in Spain you will see the scar on his head, its all about him over there looking for money of Terence, it keeps flashing back to before he went to spain and what happened over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Plus he mentions to Elmo (just before heading to Janet's (pre gang attack) that he's going over to Terence for a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazed at how many people are confused by the flashbacks to Nidge in Spain. It's hardly Memento lads in fairness. It's not that difficult to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

paulie is interesting....on one hand he's mad for his h0le.....on the other hand he has a job to do. Siobhan also wants her h0le...but also wants retribution for tommy and is a rat....
    so i suspect she get what she wants from paulie (sex)....along with information, paulie will get what he wants (sex) and will eventually notice all is not what it seems with siobhan and may have to kill her....(he is a rat catcher)....

unless he actually falls for siobhan which is a different can of worms....she could also encourage the rise of paulie over nidge.

Agree with this. The story of the series will be Big Balls and Paulie muscling in on Nidge’s turf – with Siobhan centrally involved. She is conflicted now. Still attracted to the glamour of the gang lifestyle, Paulie is her way back in to the scene. As she said to Trish in the back of the cab she wants to be a bad girl again. She will mess up in some way (eg social services coming for Leighton) and be worked less sympathetically by Moynihan (like Sopranos’ Adriana La Cerva)

The hit on Lizzie – I got that her number 2 was in cahoots with Guinea. Too coincidental that Guinea comes calling when yer man has just nipped out, her guard is down answering the door, they pass by without comment on the stairwell. There is an army of these feral young pups prowling the underworld, willing to do anything to prove themselves to a major dude like Nidge. Paulie would do well to take careful note of that.

A character I don’t expect to see at all this series would be Noelie; don’t expect much from Patrick and his mates either. They had their chance last night and blew it.

Huge fan of the show so generally try not to “nit” pick but I did think the idea of Patrick’s young lad wandering over in the middle of the sit down was way off. What was he even doing there?

messrs wrote: »
    they were all flashbacks - if you look at the opening scene with Nidge in Spain you will see the scar on his head, its all about him over there looking for money of Terence, it keeps flashing back to before he went to spain and what happened over here.

This is the confusion. The scar was barely noticeable. Had they made it a little more obvious then there wouldn't be any confusion and trying to trace the scenes. BTW, what is the supposed time difference between the traveller's attacking Nidge and Nidge being in Spain?

Amazed at how many people are confused by the flashbacks to Nidge in Spain. It's hardly Memento lads in fairness. It's not that difficult to follow.

It's not, but when your intently watching you can miss things and begin to question things. The scar being barely visible caused the issue.

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Huge fan of the show so generally try not to “nit” pick but I did think the idea of Patrick’s young lad wandering over in the middle of the sit down was way off. What was he even doing there?

Spot on. Way out of context that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

walshb wrote: »
    Spot on. Way out of context that!

I actually thought it was quite clever.

Nidge's young fella having lice had put it into his head and when he said it to Patrick who would have a history of being discriminated against it was the thing that turned him against Nidge.

He obviously had an intention of settling it until Nidge accused his young fella of having lice and Patrick thought he was being insulted and Nidge was back-tracking

• Advertisement

I actually thought it was quite clever.

Nidge's young fella having lice had put it into his head and when he said it to Patrick who would have a history of being discriminated against it was the thing that turned him against Nidge.

He obviously had an intention of settling it until Nidge accused his young fella of having lice and Patrick thought he was being insulted and Nidge was back-tracking

Still ridiculous that the son would be there at this "very important" sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

marco_polo wrote: »
    I only recognise it from the soundtrack of the film "Juno" and pretty sure it is the exact same version, which google suggests was "The Velvet Underground"

It is The Velvet Underground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

This is the confusion. The scar was barely noticeable. Had they made it a little more obvious then there wouldn't be any confusion and trying to trace the scenes. BTW, what is the supposed time difference between the traveller's attacking Nidge and Nidge being in Spain?

not sure on that one, don't think it actually gives a reference as to how long apart the were, but maybe it was a few months, that would account for why the scar is so well healed up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's my point...he seemed suprised because it suited the storyline. But would a character in his position (knowing he was probably going to be pulled in for the dentist - the cops more or less intimated that they knew he had done it in the station) leave hmself open in that way? I don't think so.

I took it that being pulled in for the dentist may have come out of left field for him. He possibly expected that it was just Nidge and the crew involved in the warehouse bust that would take the heat from that whole fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Still ridiculous that the son would be there at this "very important" sit down.

I thought it was your mans wife/mother sending the kid there to remind him that he has children and to sort it. It backfired!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

messrs wrote: »
    not sure on that one, don't think it actually gives a reference as to how long apart the were, but maybe it was a few months, that would account for why the scar is so well healed up

Didn't nidge say to Elmo, I need you to come to Spain with me in two weeks, shortly before the ambush. Maybe I picked it up wrong

Didn't nidge say to Elmo, I need you to come to Spain with me in two weeks, shortly before the ambush. Maybe I picked it up wrong

He did say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

mzungu wrote: »
    I took it that being pulled in for the dentist may have come out of left field for him.

Well you have to show that, he was very cool and had his story straight when he was dragged in for questioning. Looked to me that he was expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Re the lad coming over in the middle of the meeting.
    he was there when nidge attacked paddy and I'd say it was linking it up to that. Nidge even referenced it himself when he saw the lad.

I have a feeling we are going to have to do a whole lot of explaning as the weeks go on. remember the whole who shot Wayne??? :) its already starting with the flashback. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

deise08 wrote: »
    Re the lad coming over in the middle of the meeting.
    he was there when nidge attacked paddy and I'd say it was linking it up to that. Nidge even referenced it himself when he saw the lad.

I have a feeling we are going to have to do a whole lot of explaning as the weeks go on. remember the whole who shot Wayne??? :) its already starting with the flashback. :)

The young fla' was also up at the dog fights in Fran's place.

If Nidge was referencing anything for the sake of small talk it was that encounter, not the hit on his Da

Advertisement