Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

fran was in a state of disintegration....looks like an alcoholic

That would be interesting, if it was consistent. He seems pretty together when it suits the storyline, e.g. getting rid of dentists body and police questioning about it.
    What I am saying is, plausibility seems to be sacrificed needlessly, in this case for a cheap joke. of the 'You are some boyo Fran' variety.
    It just routinely jars for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

paulie is interesting....on one hand he's mad for his h0le.....on the other hand he has a job to do. Siobhan also wants her h0le...but also wants retribution for tommy and is a rat....
    so i suspect she get what she wants from paulie (sex)....along with information, paulie will get what he wants (sex) and will eventually notice all is not what it seems with siobhan and may have to kill her....(he is a rat catcher)....

unless he actually falls for siobhan which is a different can of worms....she could also encourage the rise of paulie over nidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PIORUN wrote: »
    very weak start to this series...Fran and Nidges characters seem almost caricatures of themselves..Elmo the tough guy, give me a break!!
    elmo was always a tough hood ...just had a rather traumatic experience to say the least....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

PIORUN wrote: »
    very weak start to this series...Fran and Nidges characters seem almost caricatures of themselves..Elmo the tough guy, give me a break!!

Weak my arse. Brilliant opener. Sets it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Audience figure: 976,400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I really enjoyed it for what it was - its a fictional programme based on the exploits of Dublin criminals with a load of drama and some great black comedy

P*ss poor excuse for any TV show. You enjoyed it for what it was... a TV show. Well people are allowed to criticise it for what it is too... a TV show.

Weak start IMO but I remember last season had a weak start too and got better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

paulie is interesting....on one hand he's mad for his h0le.....on the other hand he has a job to do. Siobhan also wants her h0le...but also wants retribution for tommy and is a rat....
    so i suspect she get what she wants from paulie (sex)....along with information, paulie will get what he wants (sex) and will eventually notice all is not what it seems with siobhan and may have to kill her....(he is a rat catcher)....

unless he actually falls for siobhan which is a different can of worms....she could also encourage the rise of paulie over nidge.

Nidge and Paulie are bound to clash. Siobhan will be getting info from Paulie for the gardai, Paulie may find out and then try to kill her leaving Nidge to save her (and her questioning her cooperation with the gardai again).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Audience figure: 976,400.
    Viewing numbers are staggering per head of capita - any series in the UK don't even come close.

mzungu wrote: »
    That scene was as disturbing as it was bizarre. Surely Noellie will have to come back into the fold at some stage. Cant be having that kind of thing go unpunished!!

I hope we get to see Noelie again and it will be interesting what role he will have. I know that
    some of the series is filmed in a prison and Fran could go down for the murder of both Noelie (I'm sure if he meets up with Fran, Noelie will be killed?) and the dentist?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Viewing numbers are staggering per head of capita - any series in the UK don't even come close.

The amount of publicity this shows gets relative to anything else showing in Ireland is unreal. It's the best thing RTE have ever produced and it all the talk on Monday morning. You can't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

It isn't Breaking Bad/The Sopranos/The Wire, etc... no one expected that, but it isn't Fair City either. It's the first decent bit of Irish TV there has been in a while and for now I'll sit back and enjoy :) Sure it has gone weak since the first 3 seasons, but how many other shows have gone like that with a bigger budget, better resources, etc... Prison Break, Dexter, etc... Yes there are flaws, particularly some lazy story lines recently. People who say things on this thread like "I think 'x' should have happened for whatever reason is ok, it's constructive criticism and after all this is a discussion thread about the programme. It's no different to the likes of soccer analysis. It's alright to complain about things your team are doing but still support them. Similarly, it's ok to criticise the show constructively, i.e. "I would have preferred to see this happening as it would have made thr storyline better.

But it's the people who have been saying since nearly day one that the programme is complete and utter ****e but continue to watch it that puzzle me. If ya don't like it and think it's ****e, don't watch it. It's that easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Is Noelie the fella who batttered Fran for sleeping with his wife?

Wasn't he an auld fella in his 60s? Fran must like the grannies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Is Noelie the fella who batttered Fran for sleeping with his wife?

Wasn't he an auld fella in his 60s? Fran must like the grannies

yes, though late-40's 50 I'd have said. The actor was recently featured in tv3's Darndale and found a body there last week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

irishfeen wrote: »

I presume that doesn't include people like myself who watched it on the player. And the repeat has yet to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Still can't figure out why the traveller guy didn't take the 10k and gave it back to Nidge saying he should use it to buy a headstone. Did that mean that the traveller guy was still going to try to kill Nidge?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

mzungu wrote: »
    That scene was as disturbing as it was bizarre. Surely Noellie will have to come back into the fold at some stage. Cant be having that kind of thing go unpunished!!
    Busy doing a documentary on Darndale for RTE.I can see Fran and the Traveller joining up together and if the Garda gets Nidges next shipment he will have big balls after him for his cash.:pac: There will be no one left alive for season 6.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    It isn't Breaking Bad/The Sopranos/The Wire, etc... no one expected that, but it isn't Fair City either. It's the first decent bit of Irish TV there has been in a while and for now I'll sit back and enjoy :) Sure it has gone weak since the first 3 seasons, but how many other shows have gone like that with a bigger budget, better resources, etc... Prison Break, Dexter, etc... Yes there are flaws, particularly some lazy story lines recently. People who say things on this thread like "I think 'x' should have happened for whatever reason is ok, it's constructive criticism and after all this is a discussion thread about the programme. It's no different to the likes of soccer analysis. It's alright to complain about things your team are doing but still support them. Similarly, it's ok to criticise the show constructively, i.e. "I would have preferred to see this happening as it would have made thr storyline better.

Agreed, though comparing the show to ones you listed is opening a can of worms :pac:

I prefer to think of Love/Hate as a quality show that happens to be made in Ireland and I will enjoy it as I enjoy any other show, as opposed to...
    it's the best show Ireland has ever produced and therefore I must love it blindly

Even Breaking Bad, Sopranos & The Wire had a few clunkers in the mix.

As you say, it has its flaws and this season opener had quite a few but overall it's a very enjoyable show and hopefully, like last season, it will improve as it goes on.
    DVDM93 wrote: »
    But it's the people who have been saying since nearly day one that the programme is complete and utter ****e that puzzle me. If ya don't like it and think it's ****e, don't watch it. It's that easy.

Agreed.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Still can't figure out why the traveller guy didn't take the 10k and gave it back to Nidge saying he should use it to buy a headstone. Did that mean that the traveller guy was still going to try to kill Nidge?

I guess he didn't say who he was buying the headstone for but... yes, he intends to kill Nidge.

... unless maybe his brother is in the headstone business and is €10k debt but is too proud to take the money so this is a roundabout way of getting the money to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jesus christ, if the writers had Patrick actually say the line "I'm going to kill you Nidge" they'd be poilloried for "dumbing down".

There was absolutely nothing confusing in that scene. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I see the Paddy the pipe bomber scenario as follows,

Paddy left Ireland to protect his and his family's life but returned because he had a child underground and couldn't bare to be away form the child.

At the halting site his mother (or whoever she was) asked him why he was bringing all this trouble on them.

Paddy want's this to stop and that's why his opening words to Nigel were "I want this knocked on the head" I believe his refusal to accept the money was purely a principle thing & that comment about buying the headstone was merely a reference to the amount of people gunning for Nigel.

I believe that as far as it goes Paddy thinks the whole thing is over and done with, now, whether Nigel sees it like that is a different matter.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Paddy left Ireland to protect his and his family's life but returned because he had a child underground and couldn't bare to be away form the child.

At the halting site his mother (or whoever she was) asked him why he was bringing all this trouble on them.

Paddy want's this to stop and that's why his opening words to Nigel were "I want this knocked on the head" I believe his refusal to accept the money was purely a principle thing & that comment about buying the headstone was merely a reference to the amount of people gunning for Nigel.

I believe that as far as it goes Paddy thinks the whole thing is over and done with, now, whether Nigel sees it like that is a different matter.

That would actually be more plausible than a fella that ran from the threat to his and his families life, who accepts Nidge's apology, suddenly opens up a ****storm for himself over a comment about 'nits'. Which I think is what was implied here.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Agreed, though comparing the show to ones you listed is opening a can of worms :pac:

I prefer to think of Love/Hate as a quality show that happens to be made in Ireland and I will enjoy it as I enjoy any other show, as opposed to...
    it's the best show Ireland has ever produced and therefore I must love it blindly

Even Breaking Bad, Sopranos & The Wire had a few clunkers in the mix.

As you say, it has its flaws and this season opener had quite a few but overall it's a very enjoyable show and hopefully, like last season, it will improve as it goes on.

Agreed.

Yes, I agree. I don't understand why there's such a lot of comparisons with other shows as they all are different. The Sopranos is a mafia drama, Breaking Bad is about a teacher who gets cancer and turns to crime to look after his family when he is gone and then begins to love it and The Wire is a cops v criminals drama. Miami Vice is also a cops v drug dealers series. Now, Love/Hate was mainly a criminal v criminal series although is now a cops v criminals v criminals v IRA series. It being Irish means it is going to be different to the US based series and has to be made to fit in with our scene.

Of course, there are homages to and references to the other shows in there. Clearly, the scene where Stumpy beats up Rosie is very like/almost identical to a scene from Miami Vice's season 4 episode Child's Play. But was it a copy? Maybe, maybe not. Thugs tend to beat up women they are dating in their own home whether they are from Miami or Dublin. The dentist turning to crime was something similar to Walt in Breaking Bad and perhaps a homage but unfortunately for Andrew, his career was shortlived and not a success. But while there are these similarities, one cannot say Love/Hate is a copy of these. Love/Hate is unique and is itself. Nidge is iconic and perhaps (along with Walt White) the most recognised and loved TV criminal since Tony Soprano.

I was thinking earlier that it would be class if Paddy via his bombmaking abilities knew and worked for the IRA when called upon and in turn the IRA needing Paddy - now that would be interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

excellent episode and it sets the series up nicely. so many things are possible but the fran and the bone and then the fran, nidge and the pipebomb sub plots are really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

lufties wrote: »
    Terence is played by Paudge Behan, the same lad who play brian meehan in veronica guerin

And by strange coincidence, Paudge is son of IRA Chief of Staff Cathal Goulding - art imitates life.

I think Paddy wants to take out Nidge in a similar way to how Nidge took out Lizzie, the last remaining threat from the splinter group IRA formed by her friend Dano. Paddy refused the money perhaps because he feels Nidge would have him killed anyway. He may decide to go after Fran as well? But it will be a costly mistake as Nidge will have him killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

How many episodes are in this series?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Because he knows that Nidge is not his own boss anymore and he is now having to take orders from someone else and one of those orders is not to kill him.
    But nobody is ordering him not to kill Nidge, and Nidge knows that now and he also knows now that the traveller is not afraid of him.

6 I presume ... I don't think RTÉ have the cash reserves to allow more in one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Advertisement