Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My maiden DART voyage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The difference is that you were leaving the station and wouldnt have heard any announcements unless you were hanging around. Announcements would have been made in the station plus announcements would be on the loop platforms. Bear in mind though that the person making the announcements in the station could be tied up answering passengers in person or on phone or assisting wheelchair passengers or visual impaired.

Ah I see where you are heading with this one. Cut backs, staff shortages, cuts to subvention. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

devnull wrote: »
    There were not any announcements or any proper information on that night - several people who were there have said the same thing. The scrolling messages were also not updated.

All I keep seeing here are excuses for poor customer service. If this is the kind of attitude that staff in Irish Rail have no wonder the levels of said service are dire, since they always make some excuse rather than tackle the problem.

It just gives an impression that nobody could care less since sorting something out would actually require some effort.

I dont believe that there wasnt any announcements made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Nope, im saying there is no proof that they are doing it any better.

Others have given examples of times they felt Irish Rail handled problems poorly. You disagree (of course). If actual customers felt let down, why are you hell bent on trying to claim they're wrong?
    Bear in mind though that the person making the announcements in the station could be tied up answering passengers in person or on phone or assisting wheelchair passengers or visual impaired.

Luas control staff can make announcements at any/all stations from the operations centre. Wouldn't that solve the problem you're trying to use as a possible explanation?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ah I see where you are heading with this one. Cut backs, staff shortages, cuts to subvention. :rolleyes:

Nope, just reality.

Nope, just reality.

Well its a poor reality.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Others have given examples of times they felt Irish Rail handled problems poorly. You disagree (of course). If actual customers felt let down, why are you hell bent on trying to claim they're wrong?

Examples of IR handling problems poorly doesnt mean that the railway in the UK is any better.

The customer is always wrong in IEland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Examples of IR handling problems poorly doesnt mean that the railway in the UK is any better.

You're still misreading it. People are saying that some UK railways *do* handle problems better and that we should copy that element of what they do. No one is blindly saying all UK operators are better or that any of them are better in all respects. Why so defensive?

n97 mini wrote: »
    I wasn't leaving, I had to meet someone in the station and I was there from 17.30 to 19.00! Apart from that sign (which was too small, was only half filled in and was too close to the doors leading to the Luas for a lot of people to see) and yer man impersonating the town crier down by the ticket machines there was no other indication that the network was at a standstill north of Harmonstown.

Co-incidentally we were delayed arriving 12 minutes late into Connolly, usual craic with Maynooth trains seemingly receiving lowest traffic priority, but - rather surprisingly - the driver made an announcement after only 8 minutes into the delay. Semi-impressed I was, though my memory is still fresh of London where a delay of longer than 30 seconds and the driver is on the PA, so even at 8 minutes IE have a lot of room for improvement.

There isnt a hope that the board would have been by the Luas exit, it would have been up by Easons in the middle of the Concourse.

You're still misreading it. People are saying that some UK railways *do* handle problems better and that we should copy that element of what they do. No one is blindly saying all UK operators are better or that any of them are better in all respects. Why so defensive?[/QUOTE]

Its a discussion board ye?

Show me one post on here that proves a different Railway company handles the same incidents better . Im not saying that they do or dont but some believe that just because its the Uk it must be better without providing proof.
    Like i said earlier, im all for improvements when possible.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The customer is always wrong in IEland.

They are only right when they are :).

Luas control staff can make announcements at any/all stations from the operations centre. Wouldn't that solve the problem you're trying to use as a possible explanation?

They do that anyway dont they from CTC for the intermediate halts. It would be better if it could be adapted for inside the stations like Connolly as well in the same mode as the no smoking and unattended luggage announcements .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There isnt a hope that the board would have been by the Luas exit, it would have been up by Easons in the middle of the Concourse.

I didn't say it was by the Luas exit, I said it was too close to the Luas exit to be useful to a lot of people.

Which as it happens is pretty much where you describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I have to say as a regular both on DARTs and regular trains, that while the odd mishap occurs, the railways are generally way more reliable than the buses. It's unfortunate that the OP had this experience, and those tourists that were also there can't have been impressed as you say.

But I'd say give it another chance. Announcements are more often than not repetitive (and in both Irish and English, as is their statutory duty) rather than rare or non-existent.

I didn't say it was by the Luas exit, I said it was too close to the Luas exit to be useful to a lot of people.

Which as it happens is pretty much where you describe it.

You said that it was too close to the Luas exit, if it was any further it would be on the loop platforms ;).

You said that it was too close to the Luas exit, if it was any further it would be on the loop platforms ;).

No, as already explained, no use to anyone arriving on platforms 1-7, and no use to anyone arriving via the front or back door and up the stairs to the main concourse.

Even of limited use to people coming in the (side) Luas doors, due to its diminished size.

Without getting into specifics (i.e. this sign) the broad point is that IE's information dissemination is brutal.

No, as already explained, no use to anyone arriving on platforms 1-7, and no use to anyone arriving via the front or back door and up the stairs to the main concourse.

Even of limited use to people coming in the (side) Luas doors, due to its diminished size.

Without getting into specifics (i.e. this sign) the broad point is that IE's information dissemination is brutal.

There was notices on the ticket machines and if those comming up those stairs was heading for the barriers then they would clearly see the board.

The board is not there to advice anyone on them platforms , its for those on the main concourse. As for your broad point, i'll take your word for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I dont believe that there wasnt any announcements made.

So let me get this right all the people on this forum are lying and the one person who works for IR thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong? Of course everyone else must have a hidden agenda, and you who was not even there, must know better than many people who were there?

I can tell you there were no announcements made whatsoever and the displays were showing incorrect information. I'm sorry that you don't believe me, but you honestly are not giving a good impression of your company to posters and users of your services on this forum.
    If actual customers felt let down, why are you hell bent on trying to claim they're wrong?

Because in the world of IR, who run a PUBLIC SERVICE, what the actual public customers think does not matter, because the only persons views who matter seems to be that of the staff, if the customers are unhappy they couldn't care less, customers are just an inconvenience to them who moan too much and are always wrong. With this kind of attitude, it's no wonder that such shockingly poor standards are allowed to continue unchallenged.

Did anyone say that the Railway was better in the UK? That is not what we are talking about, I was outlining that the passenger information systems on platforms are pretty poor by European standards and other countries and show little information due to the limited number of lines, information and characters they can display at any one time.
    Show me one post on here that proves a different Railway company handles the same incidents better . Im not saying that they do or dont but some believe that just because its the Uk it must be better without providing proof.

Nobody said it was because it is the UK, I just said that it is because the levels of invformation offered by the passenger information systems generally is better, not because it's British but because of the fact that the screens I pointed out are far more informative.

What does come across is that rather than seeing the crux of the issues being information, you keep mentioning the UK and how it's not better than Ireland which can give one an impression that you have a dislike for said country and that is over-riding your views on what is related to providing better passenger information.

The fact that any customer feedback is being dismissed just makes IR seem unaccountable and just accountable to themselves rather than the people who pay their wages day in day out.

There was notices on the ticket machines and if those comming up those stairs was heading for the barriers then they would clearly see the board.

There were no notices on the ticket machines (I topped up my Leap card), and anyone coming up the stairs to the concourse (not talking about the escalators) wouldn't have seen that sign either, as it was too far forward of the stairs.

I'm also scratching my head here as to why we're arguing over the position of a single such low tech and inadequately sized hand written sign, and how anyone could consider it as an adequate response to a serious disruption to the rail network in the capital city of a country in the European union.

devnull wrote: »
    So let me get this right all the people on this forum are lying and the one person who works for IR thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong? Of course everyone else must have a hidden agenda, and you who was not even there, must know better than many people who were there?

I can tell you there were no announcements made whatsoever and the displays were showing incorrect information. I'm sorry that you don't believe me, but you honestly are not giving a good impression of your company to posters and users of your services on this forum.

Because in the world of IR, who run a PUBLIC SERVICE, what the actual public customers think does not matter, because the only persons views who matter seems to be that of the staff, if the customers are unhappy they couldn't care less, customers are just an inconvenience to them who moan too much and are always wrong. With this kind of attitude, it's no wonder that such shockingly poor standards are allowed to continue unchallenged.

Did anyone say that the Railway was better in the UK? That is not what we are talking about, I was outlining that the passenger information systems on platforms are pretty poor by European standards and other countries and show little information due to the limited number of lines, information and characters they can display at any one time.

Nobody said it was because it is the UK, I just said that it is because the levels of invformation offered by the passenger information systems generally is better, not because it's British but because of the fact that the screens I pointed out are far more informative.

What does come across is that rather than seeing the crux of the issues being information, you keep mentioning the UK and how it's not better than Ireland which can give one an impression that you have a dislike for said country and that is over-riding your views on what is related to providing better passenger information.

The fact that any customer feedback is being dismissed just makes IR seem unaccountable and just accountable to themselves rather than the people who pay their wages day in day out.

I dont represent any company on here my friend, and this is not the place where you hand in your feedback to Irish Rail and you dont pay anyones wages at IR.
    There isnt a hope that there wasnt any announcements made, you can be sure that there was.
    You now think i have a dislike for the UK :) You dont know me do you? :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IR should set its own high standards and not fall in line with a railway company across the water . Just because its in the UK it doesnt mean its run better.

Nobody other than you has even suggested using somewhere else's standards.

All that's been shown is that they're far, far worse than companies in the UK. Which does appear to be mostly down to apathetic, jobsworth staff.

There were no notices on the ticket machines (I topped up my Leap card), and anyone coming up the stairs to the concourse (not talking about the escalators) wouldn't have seen that sign either.

I'm also scratching my head here as to why we're arguing over the position of a single such low tech and inadequately sized hand written sign, and how anyone could consider it as an adequate response to a serious disruption to the rail network in the capital city of a country in the European union.

The sign is pretty hard to miss to be honest if you head for the barriers no matter from what steps you came up. Even if you came up in the lift you would see it. Did you actually see the sign? :) Its not hand written anymore :).
    Its not the main response to the disruption now is it.

MYOB wrote: »
    Nobody other than you has even suggested using somewhere else's standards.

All that's been shown is that they're far, far worse than companies in the UK. Which does appear to be mostly down to apathetic, jobsworth staff.

No i didnt, i said they should set their own high standards.

Even if you came up in the lift you would see it. Did you actually see the sign? :) Its not hand written anymore :).
    Its not the main response to the disruption now is it.

I sure did see it. I think I have a photo of it on my phone. The half that was filled in was done so in handwritten misspellings! You obviously didn't see it yourself.

OTOH the main response was yer man by the ticket machines shouting in a Louth accent "No trains past Harmonstown"... unless I missed a more serious main response?

I dont represent any company on here my friend, and this is not the place where you hand in your feedback to Irish Rail and you dont pay anyones wages at IR.
    There isnt a hope that there wasnt any announcements made, you can be sure that there was.
    You now think i have a dislike for the UK :) You dont know me do you? :).

Like many of your posts towards IE customer complaints, this one displays too much arrogance. While I accept you have mentioned improvements and change, the CIE entity and in particular, IE, suffers from an extremely poor public perception that is not unfair. You do seem to have a problem with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No i didnt, i said they should set their own high standards.

What I meant is that you introduced that idea. Nobody is on about their targets. They're on about the reality that Irish Rail are pathetically poor in many many areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I walked through Connolly on Friday evening at about 6pm after going up from the Luas stop and saw no signs at all apart from the overhead display which showed two dart trains still listed from when the disruption started as next to depart.

There were only 2 staff members there in the station and one of those looked like a manager and was not dealing with customers but was on his blackberry and walking away. The only other staff member was the ticket checker at the end of the ticket barriers allowing people through, he had a large screen behind him which seemed to have up to date information on trains.

There was nobody in the information kiosk, no ticket office staff and the ticket office was closed.

My first thought was Friday evening and the person whose job was to update the displays had gone home, then I just thought that the staff had gone home as if it was a normal Friday evening despite there being a massive backlog of passengers including many who were stuck on trains with no information from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

billyhead wrote: »
    Are we entitled to a refund for last Fridays shambles. I was on the 4.20pm from Connolly North Bound to Drogheda and was late home by 1.5 hours but have an annual pass. How do you go about claiming a refund if its possible just for the inconvenience and I also missed an appointment I had.
    Yes, should be able to get a refund. I just googled it, but I would assume you could collect a blank form from Connolly information. You need one that covers Northern suburban line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No, I only went back to Dublin. Why the interest in my travel arrangements? Should I be watching out for you in the foliage outside my window?
    No, it just seemed a very long and expensive journey for a 15 minute visit to Malahide, obviously made longer by poor performance by Irish Rail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No, it just seemed a very long and expensive journey for a 15 minute visit to Malahide, obviously made longer by poor performance by Irish Rail.
    Maybe I was there to mind my own business for a while:D

Advertisement