Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seeker protest on Kinsale Road. Mod warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pixie Elf

Nobody checks where they spend nights. Security checks the rooms of residents that absent for weeks and never informed any staff member as to their plans of returning or not.

I absolutely know that this is one area that power is abused....i know of people that have been singled out by management who then request that security check rooms....

reprise wrote: »
    Why would security need to "burst" into a room to see if someone was there, that was meant to be there?

And how exactly do they "burst" in?

burst because often security do not announce they are entering

supposed to be there by 11pm..........? many a time have i been not tucked up in my bed by 11pm.....

security have access to keys for all rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Pixie Elf wrote: »

supposed to be there by 11pm..........? many a time have i been not tucked up in my bed by 11pm.....

So your a resident / aslyum seeker then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tolerant from cork

from RIA house rules.....page 17

Staying away overnight
    If you ever plan to be away from the centre for any overnight period,
    you must let the centre manager know in advance. The RIA may
    reallocate your room if:

you leave it unused for any period of time without letting the
    centre manager know in advance; or THIS RULE WAS NEVER APPLIED.

if you are consistently absent from the centre OF COURSE MANAGER HAS TO MANAGE THE PLACE AND USE IT'S FULL CAPACITY

Hope you understand

Gatling wrote: »
    So your a resident / aslyum seeker then ?

no, thankfully i was born in a developed country

i meant that just because your not in bed by 11 doesnt mean you arent coming home........

• Advertisement

This is a lie!

Hope you understand

at the end of the day.. yes you might get away with a few days but for instance if you are away for 2 nights each week for few weeks then it becomes an issue....

but as i was saying already this is where power is abused because if you dont have issues with management (i.e. dont complain about anything, just go along with exactly what they say) then you get different treatment

This is a lie!

please elaborate

please elaborate

Nothing to elaborate about. Lie is a lie.

Nothing to elaborate about. Lie is a lie.

oh so you meant the post in its entirety.... okay well i know it to be true, you say it is otherwise...lets leave it at that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

So, the person could be in the room undressed, having sex, whatever and no-one has ever felt it was an issue that security are bursting into rooms unannounced?

But the food is???????

So, the person could be in the room undressed, having sex, whatever and no-one has ever felt it was an issue that security are bursting into rooms unannounced?

But the food is???????

The lack of privacy is just a fact of life for those living in direct provision.... it is definately an issue

The food aspect is hard............ it is an issue (nutritional value, access, hours of availability, portion size, specific dietary needs etc)

Not being able to choose and cook for yourself, but more importantly your family, is disempowering

The reality is that it is so difficult,psycologically, living in DP that i personally think that the big issues are often hard for people to verbalise and feel insurmountable.... food is something that can clearly be changed

The lack of privacy is just a fact of life for those living in direct provision.... it is definately an issue

The food aspect is hard............ it is an issue (nutritional value, access, hours of availability, portion size, specific dietary needs etc)

Not being able to choose and cook for yourself, but more importantly your family, is disempowering

The reality is that it is so difficult,psycologically, living in DP that i personally think that the big issues are often hard for people to verbalise and feel insurmountable.... food is something that can clearly be changed

Sweet Jesus. So according to you, the food can be changed but strangers kicking down your door when you are having sex is something you stop noticing?

Which would bother you more in your home? Being broken into or the milk going off?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daisy Dasi

Residents are required to mark their presence at the reception once a day between 8am and 8pm excluding Sundays. Very often when they ask to stay out of the centre for few days staff make no fuss about it and just mark their presence for them.

The presence marking system is required for bad management purposes. Sometime people move out without notifying anyone, or live somewhere else while at the same time they are trying to keep the bed in the centre (just in case). When not marking their presence for significant time (counting in weeks) they loose that bed space which can be given to someone that really needs it.

that sounds very plausible and reasonable I guess.... can't hold bed spaces for months for people who could be on the other side of the planet without anyone knowing... I am happy as a tax payer knowing bed spaces are being utilised properly but also fairly...

from RIA house rules.....page 17

Staying away overnight
    If you ever plan to be away from the centre for any overnight period,
    you must let the centre manager know in advance. The RIA may
    reallocate your room if:

you leave it unused for any period of time without letting the
    centre manager know in advance; or

if you are consistently absent from the centre

any unused period is more than a day in my eyes... this just re enforces exactly what Tolerant From Cork says... if people were all reported after one day the staff there would be continously sending off reports.... anyway can we stick to the main topics not the minor details

Sweet Jesus. So according to you, the food can be changed but strangers kicking down your door when you are having sex is something you stop noticing?

Which would bother you more in your home? Being broken into or the milk going off?

intimacy between partners is extremely difficult anyways as you generally live in 1 room with your kids....

or if your single - 3 others (in kinsale road)

and perhaps i was unclear in my previous post i did not say that it is all the time... but yes security do indeed go into rooms uannounced

Nobody says that living in the centre is not difficult. Still that doesn't give anyone the right to tell untrue stories about staff working there. Low paid people who are trying their best to facilitate all needs (within a reason) and run that place as smoothly as possible.

Just have to love your comment! :-D

Daisy Dasi wrote: »
    any unused period is more than a day in my eyes... this just re enforces exactly what Tolerant From Cork says... if people were all reported after one day the staff there would be continously sending off reports.... anyway can we stick to the main topics not the minor details

yes lets stick on topic

i did not say that it is always reported - i said you run the risk of being reported and that management use that...

i also did not say that staff dont turn a blin eye every now and again - i simply quoted the house rules

omg you re a hard case :) good point though... can't see a security officer in the world bursting into rooms especially if 3 people live there... surely that issue would have been raised by now... maybe if nobody answers and as Tolerant From Cork says... they wish to check if someone had moved out they will enter?

• Advertisement

intimacy between partners is extremely difficult anyways as you generally live in 1 room with your kids....

or if your single - 3 others (in kinsale road)

and perhaps i was unclear in my previous post i did not say that it is all the time... but yes security do indeed go into rooms uannounced

You are either a liar or desperate to inflate an artificial view of direct provision. You have no credibility as far as I am concerned.

omg you re a hard case :) good point though... can't see a security officer in the world bursting into rooms especially if 3 people live there... surely that issue would have been raised by now... maybe if nobody answers and as Tolerant From Cork says... they wish to check if someone had moved out they will enter?

guys get real..... everybody has met a jobs worth

people get on power trips

privacy is not something that management or staff respect in these places but anyway lets move on

I'm sure they would if there was no response. FFS something like this would be a massive scandal. Jobs would be lost and it would be big enough to bring the entire system into disrepute. To casually throw this kind of thing about as less important than food is insane!

privacy is not something that management or staff respect in these places but anyway lets move on

Times, dates and places.

You are either a liar or desperate to inflate an artificial view of direct provision. You have no credibility as far as I am concerned.

thats not nice....

you can see how biased this thread is....

i have from the start stated that i support the residents....my bias is acknowledged in my first post

have you been to a DP centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to you ,

At least provide something to back up your claims .
    It's all well and good saying it's hard to be intimate between couples or singles
    But it's hard to believe claims without verified info to back it up.

(I'm not saying it to be bad or get at you )

yes lets stick on topic

i did not say that it is always reported - i said you run the risk of being reported and that management use that...

i also did not say that staff dont turn a blin eye every now and again - i simply quoted the house rules

yes we re started to sound a small bit petty... in my eyes it's not the accommodation centres that are the problem... as in my original post I stated DP was only set up for short term accommodation while people got their decision on their asylum cases but due to all the different processes people can apply for and appeal under are being held there for years...

I don't think residents should be taking this out on staff members though if what Tolerant From Cork says is true... what has a few chefs and cleaners got to do with asylum seeker processes?

I know life is stressful in DP but I think the protesters could have left the staff in to do their work which includes opening the laundry as you stated. Not all residents are protesting and a group of people shouldn't decide for all... maybe some want to be fed by the staff?

A peaceful protest never blocks the entrance to any establishment but stands peacefully on the side lines but still gets their point across so I think this is fair to let the non participants decide if they wish to avail of services

OR

the asylum seekers should have taken their protest to Dublin... to ORAC, RIA or some other government body instead of blocking the average Joe Soap from going to work... just an idea...

thats not nice....

you can see how biased this thread is....

i have from the start stated that i support the residents....my bias is acknowledged in my first post

have you been to a DP centre?

This isnt bias. You are alleging what I would consider gross invasion of privacy, if not sexual harassment by security and management. I think you should stand over what you are saying.

Dates and places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have the facts, don't worry. I know those places inside out. Just ask me constuctive questions and I'll be happy to answer them all best to my knowledge.
    i worked in this country since i came here in 1983. i brought up my 2 children here. i never got anything. i was selfimployed since 1985. i paid tax vat prsi until i had to pack it in last year. im intitled to nothing !! i cant even sign on ! so if those aysulmig seekers moan and not being happy. offer them a dinghy from cork back home. beats the cost of benefit anytime !

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    According to you ,

At least provide something to back up your claims .
    It's all well and good saying it's hard to be intimate between couples or singles
    But it's hard to believe claims without verified info to back it up.

(I'm not saying it to be bad or get at you )

I have personally been shouted and asked to leave on a number of occasions... the most recent is when i was asking parents to get their children involved in a project... that was management...

prior to that there is one security guard in particular that took a dislike to me visiting the centre and everytime i attended would be like a hawk, one foot into the canteen (visitors not allowed inside) to wave at someone and call them out and he would be on me....

intimacy between parents is briefly dicussed in unesco report - parenting in direct provision (not allowed to post links)

Advertisement