Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

ezra_pound wrote: »
    OK one issue I have with the new gen 2 2014 moto g is that you can't make your own auto awesome movies on Google photos- at least not yet. It's not on the list of supported devices.

I thought the whole idea was that they were "auto" , can you make your own on the original Moto G?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

projectgtr wrote: »
    I thought the whole idea was that they were "auto" , can you make your own on the original Moto G?

Yes.

In photos click +

Then click movie

Then select videos and photos

Then wait long time

You can change length, styles, and music.

It is AWESOME

Edit: also you can add titles to movies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Yes.

In photos click +

Then click movie

Then select videos and photos

Then wait long time

You can change length, styles, and music.

It is AWESOME

Edit: also you can add titles to movies

Cheers for that never paid much attention to that app at all, ill give it a blast now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Ordered the Moto G 2014 Dual Sim for 186 euros yesterday :)

Plan is to repair the screen on my first gen Moto G and keep it as a backup/sell it.

Fingers crossed it does 3G on both sims :/

Only 4g/3g on one sim, other is 2g. Read that somewhere. Possibly this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Only 4g/3g on one sim, other is 2g. Read that somewhere. Possibly this thread.

Put my German and Dutch SIM cards in this morning and it has 3g on both.

Delighted now, can have my work and personal SIM on one device and switch easily when I cross over the German/Dutch border :D

There's only 1 3G Radio in the Phone but it looks like it disconnects the SIM's and switches over the SIM you are not using for data to the 2G radio.

• Advertisement

Put my German and Dutch SIM cards in this morning and it has 3g on both.

Delighted now, can have my work and personal SIM on one device and switch easily when I cross over the German/Dutch border :D

There's only 1 3G Radio in the Phone but it looks like it disconnects the SIM's and switches over the SIM you are not using for data to the 2G radio.

Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

I have a Moto G. I use it as a WiFi Hotspot using Tethering. The Wi Fi Broadcast Channel is always Ch6. Due interference problems I want to change this to Ch11. In the 'Set up Wi-Fi hotspot' menu there is no option to set the Broadcast Channel.
    The phone is running Android 4.4.4.
    On the Mototola on-line help site it shows an option to change the Broadcast Channel i.e. Network SSID-Security-Password-Broadcast Channel.

On my phone the 'Broadcast Channel' option is not shown.

How do I change the channel?

Benolam wrote: »
    I have a Moto G. I use it as a WiFi Hotspot using Tethering. The Wi Fi Broadcast Channel is always Ch6. Due interference problems I want to change this to Ch11. In the 'Set up Wi-Fi hotspot' menu there is no option to set the Broadcast Channel.
    The phone is running Android 4.4.4.
    On the Mototola on-line help site it shows an option to change the Broadcast Channel i.e. Network SSID-Security-Password-Broadcast Channel.

On my phone the 'Broadcast Channel' option is not shown.

How do I change the channel?

You need to root the device and then use something like this:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.szym.barnacle&hl=en

Tks. for the reply. I was afraid this would be the case. I don't really want to root it. I don't know how to either. Do I loose the warranty? Does the phone go back to factory reset state?

Benolam wrote: »
    Tks. for the reply. I was afraid this would be the case. I don't really want to root it. I don't know how to either. Do I loose the warranty? Does the phone go back to factory reset state?

Ya it invalidates the Warranty, also you won't receive any more updates.

If Wifi signal is an issue why not use Bluetooth ?

Uses less power as well.

• Advertisement

Yea, but my (cheap) tablet doesn't have BT. Maybe the option to change channel will come in next release. Meanwhile I might get an E5220 WiFi hotspot from Meteor. Its only for occasional use. Tks.again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

New Motorola.co.uk site

I contacted Motorola. They say it can't be done. There is 'an Error' on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Hi, I'm a technological troglodyte so apologies in advance for what could be a stupid question.

I'm from Ireland but living in Edinburgh at present and I've two phones - an ancient Sony Xperia Tipo for my Ireland contacts and for use when I'm home, and while I'm in the UK I use a Nexus 4 that recently suffered a debilitating crack to the screen so I'm considering a new phone. I'm with O2 pay and go services in both countries.

I saw that this new Moto G 2014 is dual sim. Bearing in mind that I'm technologically inept, would this mean that I could put both my Irish and UK Sims into the one phone and receive texts / calls etc. from both my Ireland and UK contacts all in the one phone?

If this is the case, logic would suggest it would save me carrying around two phones - would this be correct? Also are there any drawbacks to a dual SIM phone.

Thanks in advance for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ordered one as well, they claim to ship Monday/Tuesday so should have it before the end of the week. Seems to be dual sim as well.

I can finally confirm it is dual sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Like a good few other phones there are single sim and dual sim versions. The original Moto G also had a dual sim version. Yes right now I'm seeing the dual sim version in places and not the single sim version, but do not order one expecting dual sim unless there is some confirmation you are ordering the dual sim version!

For SM01 a dual sim phone does sound like a very good idea. The only downside is that it is going to be a bit more power hungry (but afaik it will be only connecting over 2g for texts/calls on the "other" sim so it shouldn't be too bad).

All moto g 2014 5 inchers are dual sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Moto G LTE user here with an issue. All of a sudden my mic has gone to hell. People can't hear me on calls and even if I choose handsfree it's only slightly better. Tested Shazam and google now voice input and they work (but not all the time) so maybe just a calibration issue. Any ideas how to adjust or troubleshoot this? thanks

Where do you get that from? Note I gave a link about the single sim version. Here's more verification: wikipedia page on the Moto G 2014 and if you look around you will find more. The Motorola UK site does indeed tout the dual sim version but the USA site makes absolutely no mention of dual sim (and I found a "random" page saying the US would only get the single sim version which is why I picked that site for contrast).

I would be stunned for example if an Irish (or UK tbh) carrier picks up the G 2014 and sells the dual sim version. The fact that Motorola/Lenovo decided to sell direct in the UK may mean no carrier will touch it, but I don't ever remember seeing a Lenovo phone from any carrier around these parts anyway.

So I stand by my comment of caveat emptor, even as things look now around here you could end up getting a US (or elsewhere) intended single sim phone if you aren't careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

sweetie wrote: »
    Moto G LTE user here with an issue. All of a sudden my mic has gone to hell. People can't hear me on calls and even if I choose handsfree it's only slightly better. Tested Shazam and google now voice input and they work (but not all the time) so maybe just a calibration issue. Any ideas how to adjust or troubleshoot this? thanks

Similar happened on my non LTE Moto G although they could hear me on loud speaker, i ended up wiping the phone and starting again after multiple attempts to fix it.

not sure if this helps but from googling it seemed to be a common enough bug.

• Advertisement

minitrue wrote: »
    Where do you get that from? Note I gave a link about the single sim version. Here's more verification: wikipedia page on the Moto G 2014 and if you look around you will find more. The Motorola UK site does indeed tout the dual sim version but the USA site makes absolutely no mention of dual sim (and I found a "random" page saying the US would only get the single sim version which is why I picked that site for contrast).

I would be stunned for example if an Irish (or UK tbh) carrier picks up the G 2014 and sells the dual sim version. The fact that Motorola/Lenovo decided to sell direct in the UK may mean no carrier will touch it, but I don't ever remember seeing a Lenovo phone from any carrier around these parts anyway.

So I stand by my comment of caveat emptor, even as things look now around here you could end up getting a US (or elsewhere) intended single sim phone if you aren't careful.

Go to the Motorola UK site. It claims that the 2014 5 inch model has dual sim.
    https://www.motorola.co.uk/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2

Edit:
    Wrong link.
    Try this instead

http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/mobile-phones/Moto-G/motorola-g-gb.html

minitrue wrote: »

If you got a us version, surely you wouldn't even have 3g support so I can't see any quasi reputable dealers supplying us versions to Europe middle East or Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

eoinf wrote:
    not sure if this helps but from googling it seemed to be a common enough bug.

yeah seems like the only course of action left to me as I've voided the warranty already by unlocking it. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

yeah seems like the only course of action left to me as I've voided the warranty already by unlocking it. thanks

where did you buy it?

likely hood of them spotting its unlocked or rooted is slim to none.

Go to the Motorola UK site. It claims that the 2014 5 inch model has dual sim.
    https://www.motorola.co.uk/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2

Edit:
    Wrong link.
    Try this instead

http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/mobile-phones/Moto-G/motorola-g-gb.html
    hehe both of us managing wrong links, I managed to paste this thread instead of the link you ended up with :o
    ezra_pound wrote:
    If you got a us version, surely you wouldn't even have 3g support so I can't see any quasi reputable dealers supplying us versions to Europe middle East or Asia.
    Back to my previous link for the single sim version
    HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
    HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile, AT&T
    HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - USA version
    CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - CDMA version
    And unless things have changed all the Irish networks use 2100 for 3g which means all the HSDPA versions (i.e. just not the CDMA which doesn't use sim's at all) should work (don't cry on my shoulder if I'm wrong on that, it's far from the aim of my post). Europe in general uses 900 and 2100 so the "normal" USA version (not custom/locked T-Mobile and AT&T) would work across Europe and with it's addition of 1700 compared to the "Rest of the World" version would arguably be the best for global roaming. Note that (afaik) 2100 isn't used at all in the USA and is there for roaming.

So to wrap up, a truly reputable supplier will not be doing gray-market imports but it's not unreasonable for a quasi reputable supplier to sell you one of the USA versions of the device, let alone one of the plain devices intended for the rest of the world that only has single sim support (i.e. note the lack of the "dual sim" section on the Spanish page which was just the first of the European ones I was randomly checking which I found was missing it).

TLDR your earlier statement that all 5" Moto Gs are dual sim is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Um, where did you hear that unlocking it voided the warranty? I think someone has been telling you lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TempAc wrote: »
    Um, where did you hear that unlocking it voided the warranty? I think someone has been telling you lies.
    Yeah, can't see how it could. Rooting, on the other hand... and the chance of them not detecting that the phone has been rooted would be slim to none, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

SM01 wrote: »
    I'm from Ireland but living in Edinburgh at present and I've two phones - an ancient Sony Xperia Tipo for my Ireland contacts and for use when I'm home, and while I'm in the UK I use a Nexus 4 that recently suffered a debilitating crack to the screen so I'm considering a new phone. I'm with O2 pay and go services in both countries.

I saw that this new Moto G 2014 is dual sim. Bearing in mind that I'm technologically inept, would this mean that I could put both my Irish and UK Sims into the one phone and receive texts / calls etc. from both my Ireland and UK contacts all in the one phone?

If this is the case, logic would suggest it would save me carrying around two phones - would this be correct? Also are there any drawbacks to a dual SIM phone.

Why not get any unlocked phone, and then go for a SIM ONLY monthly contract wherever gives the best value. Add on roaming extra like: O2 Travel, Vodafone Passport or whatever. Your phone and text charges in and between UK and Ireland should be similar and you will have only a single number/SIM to worry about/drain your battery.

As of December 2015, any service offered by a mobile operator must not cost more when roaming inside the EU than on the mobile operators own network. That means including data. Roll on December 2015.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

No. They are not.

Taken directly from Wikipedia:
    Moto G (2nd generation)
    Model Variants
    Version Description ...... Alternate designation
    XT1063 GSM .............. Single Sim
    XT1068 GSM+GSM ....... Dual Sim
    XT1069 GSM+GSM+DTV .Dual Sim, Brazil Model supporting DTV

• Advertisement