Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools called to accommodate Isalamic beliefs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

robindch wrote: »
    Oh, yes you do.

Between the two of them, religion and Irish, I believe (don't have time to check) we're adding around one billion euro to the country's annual education bill.

I meant to say i don't want to pay taxes for teaching religion in schools, need to start proofreading my posts :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

openup wrote: »
    Why do so many people say "What would happen if you tried to bring Catholicism into a Muslim country?!" Like, what has that got to do with anything?

They're all connected. Poke a muslim in the ribs, all muslims jump. True as I'm sittin here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Philip7304

openup wrote: »
    Why do so many people say "What would happen if you tried to bring Catholicism into a Muslim country?!" Like, what has that got to do with anything?

This man is obviously a loon. I'm not going to say they're aren't millions or others like him but having met lots of devout (and not so devout) Muslims, he is definitely not the norm. I do think that Muslim celebrations should be marked in schools (along with celebrations of all faith present). I also don't see the problem with a prayer room (there was one in my secondary school for the one muslim student but he never used it) or girls leaving their hijab on for sports? There are plenty of hijabi athletes, I can't understand why it would be against health and safety.

A prayer room for one student....Ridiculous PC nonsense..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Gordon wrote: »
    You seem very hung up on what other people think. You seem to think that everyone in Poland thinks Poland is a Christian country. 100% is 'everyone'. You seem to think that every foreigner thinks Ireland is a Christian country. You think that if one person agrees that Ireland is a Christian country, then it's fact?

I think you should be a person that decides for yourself, that takes everything into account and makes a decision based upon your own thought processes.

Wow pretty sad that you are now making things up
    you should re-read the previous posts again

Example:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Help!!!! viewpost.gif
    Did you know that Polish people call Poland a Christian country?
    Lithuanian?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Philip7304 wrote: »

The Catholic secondary school I attended had a prayer room, never not once during the time I attended the school did anyone use it for prayers

Awful waste of space and money considering it could fit a good 10 people in it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I'm Irish but have lived in the UK for a number of years but have met many foreigners of different religions/beliefs who all talk passionately about Ireland being a Christian country
    I guess its just the locals.....
    & again I'm not religious but we seem to be getting away from the original post

You see that's why when you make assumptions you tend to make an ass of yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What does the guy mean by the word "persistent"?
    As in..
    ‘Persistent’
    Where schools were “persistent”, they should “employ a female PE teacher and provide students with a sports hall not accessible to men during times when girls are at play. They should also not be visible to men while at play.”
    Does he mean schools that "persist" in forcing muslim girls to participate in the unholy act of PE ? It seems incredible.
    TBH the alternative prospect of leaving people like that to run their own Islamic schools segregated from the rest of society (and on the state payroll too) is not very appealing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

Philip7304 wrote: »

They didn't build it specially for him! They made space available to him, I fail to see how it's "PC nonsense" in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

masonchat wrote: »
    If Muslims want Muslim schools let them build and fund them and do what they like in them.

Schools funded by the government should have no religious ethos, we got so caught up with minoirity groups rights pandering to every whim afraid to say this and afraid to say that so we dont offend anyone , it is now the majority groups who get shat all over

I am not religious and religion has no part in any school anyway ,

The catholic religion has been shat all over in the school system because of getting "caught up with minority groups rights pandering to every whim"?

Fascinating. I was playing a video game where one moved from dimension to dimension only the other day.

• Advertisement

Schools funded by the government should have no religious ethos,

I believe everyone has the right to live as they see fit but you cant pander to 6 different religions in a school and neither should we have to so the only way to provide reasonable equality is to leave all religion at the school gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

if they dont like the way our schools are there's the door see yis later go home to your own country and dont come back EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Tell these guys to get back to their own country if they have issues.
    What brought them here in the first place!

Schools funded by the government should have no religious ethos,

But they do.
    we got so caught up with minoirity groups rights pandering to every whim afraid to say this and afraid to say that so we dont offend anyone ( this comment has nothing to do with schools or religion),

What has it to do with?
    it is now the majority groups who get shat all over (neither has this one )

How? Examples please.
    mphalo1 wrote:
    if they dont like the way our schools are there's the door see yis later go home
    to your own country and dont come back EVER!
    Tell these guys to get back to their own country if they have issues.

This is their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

mphalo1 wrote: »
    if they dont like the way our schools are there's the door see yis later go home to your own country and dont come back EVER!

I'm Irish and there's many things I don't like about our schools. Where should I go back to?

Nodin wrote:
    This is their country.

whatever you think yourself we still won't be changing though you'll see.

Nodin wrote: »
    But they do. Well they shouldnt maybe its time for a change , they sure use to , they use to be catholic schools because we were a catholic country maybe we shouldnt have pandered to the religions that came into the country i am not pro catholic but im certainly not for being told what my country should or shouldnt do no body asked anyone to come here, but my preference would be no religion in school then no one has anything to complain about

What has it to do with? life in general we seem to be far to accommodating in this country often at our own expense, you dont have to agree with it , its my opinion you are entitled to yours

How? Examples please. if i answered this we would just end up going totally off topic and rowing , so i wont , its my opinion again you need not agree

This is their country.
    its whos country

whatever you think yourself we still won't be changing though you'll see.

What "we" is this?
    masonchat wrote:
    its whos country.

If they are Irish citizens, its their country too.

I note you can't back up your other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod: I'm closing this for now - thread has become, pardon the pun, right on the borderline. May re-open again later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Going to reopen the thread once a few ground rules are adhered too...

The following responses (and variants of same) will be deleted and the poster may be moderated:

- "Feck off back to yer own country!"
    - "Why should we pander to [insert extreme generalisation]?"
    - "Ireland is a catholic country because I prefer it that way!"

It's okay to be outraged. It's not okay to respond with silly hyperbole and xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The simple solution is stil staring us in the face. Secular education in a secular country. France does it. People grumble about it, but it works. I respect people's right to grumble!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

wrt40 wrote: »
    But letting them have a prayer room or to up and leave the class to do prayers is a step too far. What about all the other religions, do they get their prayer time too? at what point do you stop? Should we have a sacrificial alter and stop for 15 mins every day to slaughter a lamb?

Why is it a step too far? Other religions (mainly Catholcism and to a much lesser extent Protestant denominations) do have prayer time and buildings provided for the purposes of praying (attached churches) in state funded schools already. Why should Muslims and all other religions not have the same?

At what point do you stop? Stop at secular schools which accommodate everyone equally.

I am delighted that other religions are started to demand that they recieve the same treatment as Catholicism. Why should they not? Why are Catholics given special privilege to the detriment of every other citizen who is of another, or no religion.

Kiwi in IE wrote:
    I am delighted that other religions are started to demand that they recieve the same treatment as Catholicism. Why should they not? Why are Catholics given special privilege to the detriment of every other citizen who is of another, or no religion.

would they do it for us I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That's not an argument. Who are they and us anyway? Think about what you're saying before you type and throw in a bit of punctuation while you're at it. It shows that you've actually considered what you've said.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

That's not a very appealing idea of how to do things, "well if the shoe was on the other foot, they'd treat us badly. So lets treat them badly".

Much more reasonable to treat them as you'd prefer to be treated if the roles were reversed. Otherwise you're no better than those you'd condemn.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Who is 'they'? Irish citizens of religions other than Catholicsim and no religion? They are 'doing it' already. Their portion of tax used for funding education pays for a system where 90% of schools are Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Even if there is a 'they', we do not show ourselves as being better than them by being just as bad as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Next they'll say that all kids must stop eating when it ramadam as it offends the muslim kids

• Advertisement

old_aussie wrote: »
    Next they'll say that all kids must stop eating when it ramadam as it offends the muslim kids

That would be ridiculous! As silly as expecting all children in second class to spend a large percentage of school time during the year being either 'prepared' for communion, or seperated from their class and not being taught at all!

Advertisement