Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

TheDoc wrote: »
    If it's providing a few new MP maps, or some ****e re-skins or things, then that is not going to fly.

I'll be perfectly happy if the game plans to go for YEARs, and throughout its time provide new content via DLC. It kinda makes up for a lack of subscription which one might expect from an MMO type game. But I just hope the DLC is content rich, and not just a cheap $$$ scheme.

Having been burned once by COD BO2 on the season pass, and pleasantly surprised by the BL2 season pass, i hope they will indeed have more content driven DLC, I'm just speculating, but I could see it being mate a €20-€30 DLC a year with about 10 more exp levels or so,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I didn't particularly enjoy the crucible, but liked everything else, so if indeed it turns out to be light on story / co-op content I'm going to have to skip it and be disappointed. I'm not getting on the DLC treadmill, at full price there should be plenty of content from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Well I think the problem is taht Destiny is going to be judged based off the genres it's essentially competing with.

I don't think it's in anyway competing with WoW, but Wow expansion packs are full blown expansions with so much content, and granted they charge what could be the cost of a game in itself, it's well worth it. They provide content throughout an expansion via patches, that further expand the story, the raiding tiers and essentially is free content. You could argue that maybe its not free, in that you buy the expansion, but there needs to be concise and clear exepctations when it comes to DLC for this game.

If its providing new areas with a lot of content, new weapons, NPC's, story etc etc etc that is fine.

If it's providing a few new MP maps, or some ****e re-skins or things, then that is not going to fly.

I'll be perfectly happy if the game plans to go for YEARs, and throughout its time provide new content via DLC. It kinda makes up for a lack of subscription which one might expect from an MMO type game. But I just hope the DLC is content rich, and not just a cheap $$$ scheme.

WoW costs a monthly subscription on top of the expansion. Thus the raiding tiers and bug fix patches are not free at all. Your subscription money pays for those patches and content. This game is definitely not competing with any MMORPG though.

It will most certainly be competing with Planetside 2 for PS4 players when it's released. For myself I know Destiny won't hold close to as much attention as Planetside 2 would so once that's out most likely Destiny will be put aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I didn't particularly enjoy the crucible, but liked everything else, so if indeed it turns out to be light on story / co-op content I'm going to have to skip it and be disappointed. I'm not getting on the DLC treadmill, at full price there should be plenty of content from the start.

Typically an MMO style game should have content to keep the userbase busy for ATLEAST four months.

Granted some games hold back features that might not be ready for launch, they happily release them afterwards in patches.

But there should be content there to last for months. An issue will be managing expectations relating to what exactly this game is relevant too. If it's basing off MMO's, your usually looking at 12-18 months before an expansion is provided, but maybe 4-5 months before fresh new content. However that content is normally PVE content so simply gear up higher through.

20 levels at launch sounds VERY low considering how fast I hit level 8. I get the feeling I'll probably be spending most of my time in this game in PvP and grinding gear. Not exactly putting me off the game, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect a MASSIVE world with plenty of uniquely rich content.

But it's a big undertaking, and really the first of its kinda on consoles, so I'll be willing to give it some leeway.The open beta gave me a good taste for what to expect, and we barely scratched the surface. Definitly wouldn't put me off the title. I pay over €100 a year for WoW, and have been doing so happily for ten year.

If a game is content rich, and providing a platform where I am constantly coming back and playing, either by myself, or with friends, then it's more then worth the money. I don't mind paying for DLC if its valid and purposeful, like Battlefield DLC I normally pay for without issue, because as a group we all play together, we all buy the maps and we have amazing fun playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Typically an MMO style game should have content to keep the userbase busy for ATLEAST four months.

Granted some games hold back features that might not be ready for launch, they happily release them afterwards in patches.

But there should be content there to last for months. An issue will be managing expectations relating to what exactly this game is relevant too. If it's basing off MMO's, your usually looking at 12-18 months before an expansion is provided, but maybe 4-5 months before fresh new content. However that content is normally PVE content so simply gear up higher through.

20 levels at launch sounds VERY low considering how fast I hit level 8. I get the feeling I'll probably be spending most of my time in this game in PvP and grinding gear. Not exactly putting me off the game, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect a MASSIVE world with plenty of uniquely rich content.

But it's a big undertaking, and really the first of its kinda on consoles, so I'll be willing to give it some leeway.The open beta gave me a good taste for what to expect, and we barely scratched the surface. Definitly wouldn't put me off the title. I pay over €100 a year for WoW, and have been doing so happily for ten year.

If a game is content rich, and providing a platform where I am constantly coming back and playing, either by myself, or with friends, then it's more then worth the money. I don't mind paying for DLC if its valid and purposeful, like Battlefield DLC I normally pay for without issue, because as a group we all play together, we all buy the maps and we have amazing fun playing them.

You need to stop seeing Destiny as an MMORPG. It really isn't.

The pre-order vanguard pack for Destiny provides a 'free expansion upgrade' so I'm guessing there will be an expansion but it won't be like WoW or Wildstar or Rift or any other MMORPG.

• Advertisement

I'm concerned we're all getting into the whole "Let's expect this game to be so cross genre and deep we'll never play another game again"..... Like with GTA5.... and boy how we were all burned by the fiery coal engine of that hype train spilling it's cargo and exploding once it impacted the 1st hurdle of online gaming.

I'd say enjoy Destiny on it's own merits, maybe if you enjoyed the Beta, pick up the main copy on launch day, or wait 2 months for some reviews, or don't but it, or if you do buy it, maybe if you don't like it, don't invest anymore money in it :)

No-ones saying anyone should buy it, it's totally a personal choice. Some people who have 2 or 3 close friends that could play it together might be more intrigued by the Co-op and PvP aspects (myself included)

No point in getting all fire and brimstone about areas we're all just speculating on.
    I think Destiny might be a victim of introducing a pricing model/structure more akin to MMO games to a gaming market more occupied by FPS and RPG players, but again, that's just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Cormac... wrote: »
    I think Destiny might be a victim of introducing a pricing model/structure more akin to MMO games to a gaming market more occupied by FPS and RPG players, but again, that's just speculation.

See this would actually be an idea I could get behind, if it meant regular meaningful content additions that everyone would have, rather than adhoc DLC which only some of the player base will have access too.

I suppose I'll put this in the one-to-watch pile for now. I'll decide when it's out if it has enough content off the bat to be worth a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Maybe we got boosted exp in the beta that allowed us to see the content that we did a lot quicker. I'd be disappointed if it only took a few days to max out to 20.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it definite that you have to start from scratch again when the full game comes out?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it definite that you have to start from scratch again when the full game comes out?

Yes, 100%, which I think is a good thing, stopped me getting TOOO obsessive with my Beta guys :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    You need to stop seeing Destiny as an MMORPG. It really isn't.

The pre-order vanguard pack for Destiny provides a 'free expansion upgrade' so I'm guessing there will be an expansion but it won't be like WoW or Wildstar or Rift or any other MMORPG.

I was pretty clear in saying that its down to our expectations, as to what genre it is in anyway comparable to , if any. I never stated I thought it was anything compared to WoW, it was an example provided by someone else.

This is just a Q&A copied and pasted straight from IGN with Bungie answering questions of players, seen a couple of them brought up here so thought I'd share;

How large are the "raids/dungeons" going to be?

The Raid team is very cagey with the details they want to share pre-launch. The most satisfying and rewarding aspects of the Raid require that we let you experience it fresh, so you can figure it out for yourself alongside a crew of your friends. They are easily the largest, most complex, and challenging single activity we have ever attempted to build. They’re designed to punish your for failure, and reward you for planning, cooperation, skill, and execution. Good luck!

Can you explain the "Golden Chests"? I have 2/5 but no clue what they are.

Each destination has several hidden Gold Chests for you to find. They have treasure inside, and if you collect them all, you might earn yourself a bigger prize. There are also other treasure chests spread out all over the worlds of Destiny. Some of them are hidden fairly well, and a lot of fun to find. I like to pretend that I’m Nicholas Cage, hot on the trail of ancient secrets.

How does the PvP play out with different leveled guns?

There are a couple of PvP flavors in Destiny when it comes to power level. The standard Crucible playlists disable Level Advantages to ensure a fair fight. Iron Banner, a timed playlist, turns power on, inviting players to test out their best guns and gear. Like most activities in Destiny, both are optional. Like all activities, they both feature unique gear you can use to show other players what you’ve been up to when you head back to the Tower.

Will Destiny feature a traditional single-player campaign, or will it be a mix of co-op as seen in the Beta?

The story missions in the Beta are indicative of the overall structure of Destiny’s campaign missions. You can head out alone, and all of the private moments, like cinematics and climatic encounters, are yours and yours alone. Those moments will often come before and after your adventures move you through crossroad spaces, where other Guardians are out on their own adventures.

Will the game feature more character customization options?

The Beta was a small sampling of the armor, weapons, gear, and abilities you can earn in Destiny. Typically, the higher level the gear, the more unique and creative it will look! Some players have already found some of the really crazy looking stuff in Beta (you can look, but you can’t touch!).

The general complaint with Destiny has been the lack of a proper chat system. Will there be team chat in multiplayer and proximity chat in story missions in the final game?

We’ve seen the feedback, and there’s quite a bit of ongoing discussion happening around this right now. I don’t have a definitive decision, but I can say that the team wanted to err on the side of promoting and fostering positive communications between strangers in the world, and knew that friends were going to find simple and effective ways to enable voice chat with friends through the Fireteam audio channel, and platform chat. We hear you, though. Please keep sounding off with feedback. We’re just getting started!

Why can't we name our Guardians? Will that option be available in the full game or are we stuck with our Gamertags/IDs?

The team thought a lot about how best to have players identify themselves in the world. Ultimately, we’ve landed on PSN ID and Xbox LIVE Gamertag, so other people don’t have to manage a third list of identities (real name, platform tag, Destiny character name).

Will the Tower Hub be expanded in the full version (because of the closed doors that were present in the beta)?

One of those doors already opened up in the Beta! But the Tower has a few other surprises...

How long will the campaign be? As the Beta revealed a lot about the story and I loved it!

We’re aiming for a substantial story campaign, and the mileage you get will vary :-). If you finish it as fast as possible and never go back, we want it to feel satisfying. If you want to go back and experience it in a different way, be that by selecting a different difficulty, as a different class, with your friends in tow, or via some stuff we’re doing in the Director to switch it up, you’ll get even more out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

^They don't want to give away much, understandably.

Was some further announcements in regards "Raids" this morning I believe. That is a big bonus, was hoping the strike missions weren't just it.

I'm ****ing all thumbs up for raiding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The thing with the raids, if they have no proper ingame communication outside of friends/groups and apparently there is no matchmaking/queue for raids... how are the more casual gamers going to get into that side of the game ?

Magill wrote: »
    The thing with the raids, if they have no proper ingame communication outside of friends/groups and apparently there is no matchmaking/queue for raids... how are the more casual gamers going to get into that side of the game ?

I won't get to read the finer details until I get home, but just saw some headlines. So I'm not sure what size the groups can be etc. But I'd imagine there will be a function for VOIP. Either with the Fireteam itself or maybe a new group function will be created for raiding where VOIP is enabled.

A lot of calls for VOIP ingame to activate when your near players, or when it creates one of the public fireteams. Can't say I fancy that. Can only imagine it being negative being able to hear people all the time who are nearby.

PLaying in during beta VOIP worked fine when I created fireteams with friends. And that is really enough, I don't want to hear random strangers.

Be interesting to see how they tackle it, communication will be a key component to raiding no doubt.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When you say "raids" do you mean like the strike mission in the Beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm curious - the game's classified as a Pseudo "MMO" --- that being said, how many players can you have in your 'instance' at any given time ?

I'll be getting the PS4 or Xb1 just to play this, /yay hypetrain!

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'm curious - the game's classified as a Pseudo "MMO" --- that being said, how many players can you have in your 'instance' at any given time ?

In the Beta the max at the tower was 16 people (on 360 anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I won't get to read the finer details until I get home, but just saw some headlines. So I'm not sure what size the groups can be etc. But I'd imagine there will be a function for VOIP. Either with the Fireteam itself or maybe a new group function will be created for raiding where VOIP is enabled.

A lot of calls for VOIP ingame to activate when your near players, or when it creates one of the public fireteams. Can't say I fancy that. Can only imagine it being negative being able to hear people all the time who are nearby.

PLaying in during beta VOIP worked fine when I created fireteams with friends. And that is really enough, I don't want to hear random strangers.

Be interesting to see how they tackle it, communication will be a key component to raiding no doubt.

I mean they just have to include a "Mute all" button or "Disable proximity chat". Its just strange that this game has been touted as an MMOish FPS'er yet you can only really communicate with friends. If you can't talk with people or there is no chat function in the main hubs.... its going to be kind of hard to get into the endgame content for the more casual players no ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

calex71 wrote: »

I can't be dealing with Reddits layout :pac::pac::pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    When you say "raids" do you mean like the strike mission in the Beta?

In the traditional sense a raid would be a larger scale strike mission. Again I havn't read the details so would need to read the stuff when I get home.

But typically something like a strike mission, would provide you a gearing plateu, and make you utilise things like communications, tactics, and get yourself familiar with how the NPC's behave in terms of abilities etc.

A raid takes this then onto a higher and larger scale. So my assumption would be while a strike mission can have 3-4 people in a party doing it, a raid might have say 15 people. (Although possible less in this case)

In terms of how many people the game can support in your vacinity, I believe it's 16 for 360 and PS3, and that figure is higher for next gen machines.( Definitly more than 16 in certain areas I was in)

I want to play it now :(

Cormac... wrote: »
    I want to play it now :(

HOLLLLDDDD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

In the traditional sense a raid would be a larger scale strike mission. Again I havn't read the details so would need to read the stuff when I get home.

But typically something like a strike mission, would provide you a gearing plateu, and make you utilise things like communications, tactics, and get yourself familiar with how the NPC's behave in terms of abilities etc.

A raid takes this then onto a higher and larger scale. So my assumption would be while a strike mission can have 3-4 people in a party doing it, a raid might have say 15 people. (Although possible less in this case)

In terms of how many people the game can support in your vacinity, I believe it's 16 for 360 and PS3, and that figure is higher for next gen machines.( Definitly more than 16 in certain areas I was in)

Was never more then 6 on my screen unless I was in the tower looked like 18 on the x1 And ps4 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Raids in Destiny are only six player though right? I remember reading that somewhere

http://me.ign.com/en/destiny/85519/feature/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-firs

New video up on IGN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Man raids are really going to depend on having a good team. Plus they confirmed that the level cap isn't level 20. The nightfall missions look good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Man raids are really going to depend on having a good team. Plus they confirmed that the level cap isn't level 20. The nightfall missions look good too.

Link? Great news if true but all the special gear in the beta seemed to be unlocked at level 20, nothing above showed up.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure 20 is the cap. Just read an article by a Bungie developer saying that once you hit 20 the game opens up to endgame material which is way different than anything else experienced in story mode.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement