Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Animals

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

It depends on whether or not the animal is a pest or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

djflawless wrote: »
    What animals annoy you?can I question your mental health for disagreeing with you??

No animals annoy me...
    They are just animals.

Also, feeling the urge to stamp on a cat (as you say) isn't exactly the attitude of one at ease with the world.

What or who else would you stamp to death?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

Yes, these tolerances are arbitrary (in the absence of stipulations such as laws).

It fascinates me that animals that trigger negative emotions (such as flies, slugs, earwigs) generally are fair game, yet animals that trigger positive emotions (such as ladybirds, butterflies and bumble bees) are far less so. I have even seen kids hating slugs but loving snails.

Then add in the list of things in post #168.

Sheeps wrote: »
    It depends on whether or not the animal is a pest or not.

Is it possible to define "pest" in such a way that is true for everyone; for example the owner and the neighbour of a barking dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

DeadHand wrote: »
    I assume you're trying to say there is some disconnect between what you're eating and what you think it actually is. Irish meat is probably among the most traceable in the world. Buy Irish and no such disconnect exists. Obviously, if you're going to take junk options then the bit of horse will probably be the most wholesome part of your meal.

No I mean the disconnect between an animal and a package of meat from a supermarket or butcher. A lot of people balk at things like feet or eyes left on the meat or fish, or really dislike seeing pig's heads in a butcher because it's gross, or would never eat something with a more obviously biological name like kidneys or heart, but a package of meat is fine. That's the disconnect I mean.

Of course. Thankfully they are massively outnumbered by the majority who care about animals and like eating meat. One does not exclude the other.

One doesn't exclude the other at all, but you care about certain animals or certain things relating to those animals less than you like eating meat.
    Eating meat is no more selfish than wearing shoes or sleeping indoors.

Except if you wear shoes or sleep outdoors it'll negatively impact your health, not eating meat won't. I'd say a more accurate comparison is that not eating meat is no more selfish than not donating some of your disposable income to charity - I don't like the thought of people suffering in poverty, but I prioritize
    my own pleasure over that. It doesn't mean that I call people who do donate money to charity hypocrites because they're not living in shanty towns in Calcutta, nor does it mean I take their personal decision to donate money to charity as some kind of criticism of my own choices :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

b318isp wrote: »
    Is it possible to define "pest" in such a way that is true for everyone; for example the owner and the neighbour of a barking dog?

A pest is "a plant or animal detrimental to humans or human concerns (as agriculture or livestock production)".

Unless the barking dog is ruining crops with his barking, then no you wouldn't kill the dog for barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No animals annoy me...
    They are just animals.

Also, feeling the urge to stamp on a cat (as you say) isn't exactly the attitude of one at ease with the world.

What or who else would you stamp to death?
    What about flys? Ever been in a foreign country and been bitten by mosquitos? They don't annoy you? Or are the bites fun to scratch?
    Swarm of midges in ireland aren't annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Cienciano wrote: »
    What about flys? Ever been in a foreign country and been bitten by mosquitos? They don't annoy you? Or are the bites fun to scratch?
    Swarm of midges in ireland aren't annoying?

He's like Ned Flanders, satisfying to scratch them bites! :pac:

Sheeps wrote: »
    A pest is "a plant or animal detrimental to humans or human concerns (as agriculture or livestock production)".

Interesting definition. I can sort of understand the detrimental bit, but I wonder how a human concern would be defined objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

No I mean the disconnect between an animal and a package of meat from a supermarket or butcher. A lot of people balk at things like feet or eyes left on the meat or fish, or really dislike seeing pig's heads in a butcher because it's gross, or would never eat something with a more obviously biological name like kidneys or heart, but a package of meat is fine. That's the disconnect I mean.

True. That disconnect exists almost exclusively among urbanites and gives rise to some fairly ignorant, self-righteous attitudes towards the treatment of animals.

but you care about certain animals or certain things relating to those animals less than you like eating meat

That isn't true in my case, I doubt it's true in the majority of cases and it's a fairly sweeping judgement to make. For instance, I know dozens of country vets. Not one is a vegetarian. But any one of them, or I, would be sickened by any form of cruelty inflicted on a food animal and would do everything in our power to prevent it, stop it and/or bring those responsible to book. But we all happily eat meat. Not because we lack something (ie. care) but because we possess something (ie. understanding).

We care about food animals at least as much as you or anyone else we just realise and understand what they are for and what exactly goes into their rearing and slaughter

Except if you wear shoes or sleep outdoors it'll negatively impact your health, not eating meat won't. I'd say a more accurate comparison is that not eating meat is no more selfish than not donating some of your disposable income to charity - I don't like the thought of people suffering in poverty, but I prioritize
    my own pleasure over that. It doesn't mean that I call people who do donate money to charity hypocrites because they're not living in shanty towns in Calcutta, nor does it mean I take their personal decision to donate money to charity as some kind of criticism of my own choices :)

Ok then, I'll give two other examples. Cosmetics and soap. Forgoing either will not negatively impact your health. Everyone who uses lipstick or likes to wash well is inherently selfish by choosing to do so?

Don't compare altruism to vegetarianism. I know you like to think that your vegetarianism puts you on a type of moral high ground that the correct form of altruism might, but it simply doesn't.

I don't take your vegetarianism as a criticism of my own choices, I take the criticism by you of meat eaters in this thread as a criticism of my choices. You've judged meat eaters as selfish and judged that we all care about animals less than we do about eating meat (and, therefore, we care about animals less than you do).

You've been judgmental. Which is ironic, because earlier in the thread you loftily declared that one of the things vegetarianism taught you was to be non-judgmental. A statement as nonsensical as me claiming that a gluten free diet cured my racism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

kneemos wrote: »
    Worked in a meat plant for a while,normally don't kill things unless they get annoying.

Is that acceptable?

Done 2 slaughterhouses myself. about 6 months in total.

Humane slaughter is fine with me. I know that is the exception to the rule.

If you actually have done what you say you have done you'd know that.

Your post make fuk all sense as usual Kneemos. Just picking fights over semantics. Hows your buddy Czarcasam?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Done 2 slaughterhouses myself. about 6 months in total.

Humane slaughter is fine with me. I know that is the exception to the rule.

If you actually have done what you say you have done you'd know that.

Your post make fuk all sense as usual Kneemos. Just picking fights over semantics. Hows your buddy Czarcasam?

I have never had relations with that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

kneemos wrote: »
    I have never had relations with that man.

Advertisement