Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

So I spent loads of time today cleaning Coco & Benson, they've been in the fields a lot recently and have loads of those stickleback things stuck in their fur, particularly velcro boy Benson. They're in for their vaccs in the vets first thing tomorrow morning so I didn't want them going in like a pair of scraggly smelly doggies either.

So after dinner I went to the supermarket and was going to go to the beach afterwards except I was on the way home and himself called to say he'd brought them into the fields!!!:eek::eek: They're filthy with mud, smelly, covered in sticklebacks and are barely drying off in their beds. I could cry.:(:(

They're happy as a pair of pigs in shiite though.

You need a blaster! Blows all the muck and sand away! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'd love a blaster but Coco has no tolerance for my hairdryer so she would never entertain a blaster. Benson would probably be similar, but he's much more willing to try new things if Coco is on board. If she ran from the blaster, so would he. :o
    And his coat is actually like velcro, g force winds couldn't blow somestuff that gets caught in it! This is what it's like this morning after they've tried their best to remove most of the stickleback things during the night. At least they're dry now for a quick brush down before we go.

seaWw4gl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

All I can say is thank goodness for a short haired dog:)

:eek: lol!! Ok that's bad :D Lucy was afraid of the blaster here too...but the little brat will sit like an angel at hydro getting dried with exactly the same type of blaster lol! She came round in the end thank god because she's the dirtiest one! The other day she was eating a bone - blood everywhere!! Head, hears, face, paws front and back?! and even on her tail lol!!

Honestly, sometimes Benson looks like one of those dogs that rescues put out appeals for somebody to groom them as they were found in such a rotten state! He's lazier than Coco who will self groom wherever she can reach - he does his paws and gives up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

When I kept Oliver in his full coat I had terrible problems letting him run in the woods or fields, picking leaves, twigs, seeds and sometimes slugs out of his coat. (Tibetan terriers have very long thick hair)
    I spent at least an hour most days grooming him. One tip I had from his breeder was the pink Johnson's baby conditioner, after a wash put a good blob in a jug add about 1/3 jug of water, mix well and used cupped hand to spread over the ends of hair, leave for two mins and give a quick rinse.
    The hair is much easier to comb through, and it's very mild.

I trim him regularly now, but still use it occasionally, smells lovely too, but that means they roll in something quick to remove the "Stink!"

Drama this morning - Lucy managed to get out of her crate* but the toggle thing for the string on her towel (now removed) got caught as she escaped so she ended up dragging the crate with her knocking stuff on top down and banging into the food bowels so lots of noise. Both dogs got a fright and were very quiet for ages after!! My mum ran in when it happened and said Bailey was just standing beside her like he knew she was in trouble but didn't know what to do lol!!

I'm 99.99999% I closed the crate - it's got sliding doors though and Bailey is able to open it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Layinghen wrote: »
    All I can say is thank goodness for a short haired dog:)

THIS is going to be close to the top of my priority list for any future dogs I might have!!! I get my cocker completely clipped several times a year. She absolutely loves it, I absolutely love it, and she's gets to go on more interesting walks if I don't have to factor in a long laborious grooming session!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Two short haired dogs here and I'm currently sweeping the floors twice a day and hoovering every evening before bed. It's not all it's cracked up to be. I've never seen them shedding so bad. Harley looks terrible but no matter how much brushing I do it's not working. He looks abandoned poor fella.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! :eek:
    Dogs were in the river as normal this morning... The guy who opens up arrived early so we got to go back thru the meadow and out the gate close to our house instead of having to walk back the long way..happy days. I noticed a bit of foam at the bridge and forgot all about it. My friend has just txt me saying the river is now cordoned off, fish dead and loads of foam :eek: Should I wash the dogs? There's been worse in it before and they never cordoned it off like that! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would to be on the safe side, do you have a hose?
    Even hosing them down may be enough.

mymo wrote: »
    I would to be on the safe side, do you have a hose?
    Even hosing them down may be enough.

Yeah I will - I'll wash them first and they can dry out on their walk lol!;) The shampoo, sponge and zoom groom have a place by the hose because Lucy is always rolling! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Umi my long haired cat comes back covered in the bloody things too :( thankfully she doesn't mind me taking them off too much but it's a pain!

Toby seems to get a fair few of these stuck to his tail. He's not great at being brushed but he loves rubbing against my legs in the loo at night, no idea why, but it's his favourite time for snuggles and purrs, so I get to rub his tail and they come off:)

Scrubbed both of them and a good going over with the blaster - took me an hour! Our park in most of the photos :(

Gah! Dogs scrubbed after being in for a swim early this morning! Hopefully they don't go bald lol
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tolka-fish-dead-1583514-Jul2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

tk123 wrote: »
    Scrubbed both of them and a good going over with the blaster - took me an hour! Our park in most of the photos :(

Gah! Dogs scrubbed after being in for a swim early this morning! Hopefully they don't go bald lol
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tolka-fish-dead-1583514-Jul2014/

Edit - OMG shocked after going to the park - dead fish everywhere. Everyone is in shock looking at it

OH GOD I HATE MY NEIGHBOURS:mad: Our next door neighbour is a mental bint, and they hate cats, in fact they don't like any animals. Again tonight she came out shouting at our cats while the cats sat on OUR wall. She came out ranting and swearing at them so I basically told her what I thought of her which is that she's a mental cnut, I know, not exactly mature but I spent 2 ours on a drip today and I'm not in the mood.

She started ranting that they're 'clean people':confused: and that our cats piss and sh8t out back, they don't, there's nothing but concrete out there, nothing. I go out there every day on my way to the shops and I've never seen a single puddle of urine or a single piece of poop. Maybe she's confusing us with her neighbours dog, I don't know.

As for them being clean people, whenever they have one of their big gatherings and they happen often, we've seen men pissing up against the walls out the back in the alley because they can't get to the single toilet in the house. They've replaced the bathroom so many times over the years from the sheer volume of piss that goes down that toilet with all the people that go in there drinking. I'm so fricking angry I could cheerfully throttle her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Spent €50 on Amazon today on cat books and stuff for my two cats. That's it now - I'm barred from myself for another month at least! :D

boomerang wrote: »
    Spent €50 on Amazon today on cat books and stuff for my two cats. That's it now - I'm barred from myself for another month at least! :D

Did you ever read any of the Tom Cox books, Under the Paw, confessions of a cat man? He writes a column for the Guardian as well which can be very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Zapperzy wrote: »

I saw these when I was in Dublin the other week, was soooooo temped to buy only I didn't have enough money on me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Did you ever read any of the Tom Cox books, Under the Paw, confessions of a cat man? He writes a column for the Guardian as well which can be very funny.

I've read them, they are very good and very funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Alli's been so helpful today by lying in the middle of the floor so I had to step over her carrying sizzling frying pans and pots. She's now sitting In Front of the stereo, she only ever does this when musics playing. Moones out lying in the sun, the kitchen door is open for her but she'd rather be outside. She must not be a fan of my choice of music :cool:

SingItOut wrote: »
    Alli's been so helpful today by lying in the middle of the floor so I had to step over her carrying sizzling frying pans and pots.

Maybe she's related to Lucy? I knocked a glass down this morning trying to reach over her when she was blocking the counter - ooops!! She likes to lie in front of the presses or in the doorway. Ask her to move and she lifts her head up to look at you....then plonks back down like she's been shot! I don't know what we'd do if we didn't have the wooden floors to slide her out of the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

She busy now stealing Gonzos veggies through the bars of his cage :pac: I have to give him vegetables to bribe him out so I can clean his cage without losing fingers :D

:) A year ago today Lucy came home!! ...Bailey was disgusted lol!! :p

I had to shut the cat flap. Jazzy got another mouse somewhere and had it in the garden, Felix took it off him and now it's somewhere bags of compost. Not sure if it's dead or alive. I'd love to have helped it but I'm absolutely terrified of rodents. That's the 4th mouse in less than 10 days:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Tortoise was sprinting round and round the table today, and then running in and out from behind the dog's water bowl :D He was lazing for last couple of days and the good weather woke him up properly so he got a bit hyper (well, as hyper as a tortoise can get). Now he's back in his hollow, fast asleep again

Turns out at least 2 of our puddy cats like opera. Felix is all snuggled down beside me with a happy look on his face and Toby is sprawled on the other sofa on his back stretching:)

My legs are killing me after our walk on the beach, I wore crocs down so I could go for a paddle but there's no support at all in them so I was using different muscles in my legs to keep them on my feet while marching back up through the dunes. Plus the itchy scratchy sand between my toes :D, for all the time I spend at the beach I usually avoid getting sand anywhere on me, I can't stand it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Not happy at all. A few weeks ago there was a big white dog "straying" in the estate. I called our local Spca who sent an inspector out and it tuned out he had owners who just let him out and were barely feeding him. The owners have now obviously been feeding him as he's put on weight but he was out again this morning. He tried to get at phoenix, who was on a lead and knocked me over in his efforts to get at him. The owner was around the corner ignoring me shouting for someone to come and get their dog. I'm absolutely fuming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement