Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Basster, have you got a link to your workout?
    Have you looked at it in other applications, like Strava (just for comparison)?
    Did you have warm-up and warm-down in your workout - which would also be included in the summary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Sure thanks Krusty, link here hopefully it works:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/537427900

I would usually warm into a tempo run but didn't on Sunday. I had the watch set to 7km splits following my longer Saturday run so the data might not be useful from an analysis point of view..

And no, I don't use any other programme. I've actually been without an ANT+ stick for over a year until yesterday so had just been typing run summaries from the watch (excl splits) into Excel. Just updated it there now.

If nothing else it shows 151 bpm average for the first 7km when the watch was mostly showing 155 plus (157 for the majority of the time).

Basster wrote: »
    Sure thanks Krusty, link here hopefully it works:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/537427900

I would usually warm into a tempo run but didn't on Sunday. I had the watch set to 7km splits following my longer Saturday run so the data might not be useful from an analysis point of view..

And no, I don't use any other programme. I've actually been without an ANT+ stick for over a year until yesterday so had just been typing run summaries from the watch (excl splits) into Excel. Just updated it there now.

If nothing else it shows 151 bpm average for the first 7km when the watch was mostly showing 155 plus (157 for the majority of the time).
    I'm afraid you have the permissions locked down on that one, so can't see it.

OK should be visible now! Initially made profile visible but not the run..

Basster wrote: »
    OK should be visible now! Initially made profile visible but not the run..
    Hi Basster, it looks pretty accurate to me. For your first kilometer, your heart rate varied between 71 and 146 bpm. This is going to lower your overall average heart rate for that entire 7km split.

I uploaded your activity to Strava for a second opinion, and it also calculates an average HR of 151 for your first split. What you should really do if you want your average HR splits to reflect your tempo activity:
    1) Warm-up separately and hit 'lap' when you want to start the tempo portion of your activity
    2) Use HR Average as a data field on your watch, instead of 'HR' and make sure that you keep your heart rate in the appropriate zone based on your average.

• Advertisement

Thanks, this makes sense. I clearly underestimated how low the HR was in the first km, I assumed it would have increased a lot quicker.

I'll do as you say for points 1 & 2, particularly regarding the warm-up and making use of the lap function. This really helps a lot, thanks a million for taking the time Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Mrs Mule picked up a second hand garmin 110. We know it's a beginners watch but we are having issues with it and are not sure if it's a fault or if we are missing something.

Basically the time won't show up unless the unit has located a satellite. This is with or without the time set to automatic / manual. If the satellite signal is lost at all - even if not running / using the GPS the time reverts to __:__ with "167 english" written underneath. The unit then seems to freeze on this after a few cycles from time display to run display, (either at the 167 english message or else it will display a time and then freeze on that)

Does any of that make sense ? Is that normal behaviour for the time function on a 110 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

It doesn't sound normal. You could try a hard reset to clear it; the instructions should be in the manual or you can get them from the Garmin site.

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    It doesn't sound normal. You could try a hard reset to clear it; the instructions should be in the manual or you can get them from the Garmin site.

R

Cheers R

Should have said already tried that and a firmware update too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

New update out for FR220 and FR620. I'm holding off for now as users are reporting the random reboot issue is back with 2.90!

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
    Fixed an issue where incorrect pace/speed smoothing could be applied during certain activities.
    Changes to support manufacturing.

• Advertisement

Am back with a little more insight into the issue I mentioned with the forerunner 110.

I have it nailed down now that the watch freezes each time it enters power save mode which I understand happens automatically and can't be changed on the watch. Power save turns off GPS etc in the background. When the display is left on the time page power save automatically kicks in with no warning after 3-4 minutes. If the watch is left on the run page and the watch has found a satellite power save will not kick in at all if actively running or will give a 30 second prompt if not running and can see a satellite. If I leave the 30 second timer to count down watch freezes immediately at that point.

At that point we need to hold the light button for 10 seconds to get the watch to restart. Another slight quirk appears that if the time / clock is set to manual this setting has been lost once the watch is reset.

This looks like a corrupt file but the watch was upgraded to latest software version 2.7 and issue is still present. A hard reset was also done.

So my question to the more knowledgeable folk here is - is it possible to reinstall all files on the device ? I suspect there is a corrupt file and the software version upgrades may not be over riding this so we are left with the same dodgy file at all times.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

FR410 here. Since the update to Garmin Sync and the new Garmin modern I'm having issues were say 1 in 10 activities (ish) just doesn't seem to upload. I've been adding them manually for now but has anyone come across something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi All,

Wondering has anyone else has a similar issue to me. I'm using a Garmin Forerunner 410 and about 4 weeks ago I started having issues when it came to uploading via the ANT.

The upload starts, it gets through receiving laps 100% then moves onto receiving tracks and it says upload failed. I've tried doing it manually via Garmin connect but none of my runs/cycles after the 10th of June are showing up, however they are there in the Forerunner itself.

I've gone through the Garmin forums and can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've been having problems with the new garmin connect too. It's not uploading all runs from my 405cx. E.g. a run I did last Wed hasn't transferred. Is there a way to search manually like the old site?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Complete newbie question I think:- Only recently started setting up workouts on the Garmin. For example, yesterday did 2 miles easy, 2 @ MP, 5 mins recovery, then 2 miles MP and 2 miles easy. No issue with the workout in terms of setting it up or using. When I upload the data, the data is not broken down by sections of the workout, but done by mile, so the data for the second half of the workout is presented differently than I want it, because of the 5 mins recovery. Can it be set up to present it differently so that I can see the breakdown for each section of the workout rather than each mile?

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Complete newbie question I think:- Only recently started setting up workouts on the Garmin. For example, yesterday did 2 miles easy, 2 @ MP, 5 mins recovery, then 2 miles MP and 2 miles easy. No issue with the workout in terms of setting it up or using. When I upload the data, the data is not broken down by sections of the workout, but done by mile, so the data for the second half of the workout is presented differently than I want it, because of the 5 mins recovery. Can it be set up to present it differently so that I can see the breakdown for each section of the workout rather than each mile?
    Hi John, it should be broken up exactly as per your workout. Each section of the workout is represented as a lap, and you should see the splits broken out by lap (unless you are uploading to somewhere other than Garmin Connect (like Strava(in which case you have to select the laps view))). Can you provide a link so we can take a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Aha! I feel so dumb!! Thanks so much, didn't even notice the laps function (on Strava). Thats exactly what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I've been having problems with the new garmin connect too. It's not uploading all runs from my 405cx. E.g. a run I did last Wed hasn't transferred. Is there a way to search manually like the old site?

Hi Bahanaman.

I updated to the latest Garmin express and repaired my 410 and on a sync the other night it picked up the 3 missing activities. Now clearing out the duplicates!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Hi there,

Has anyone had problems with their GPS providing incorrect pace per mile, my is always about 15-20 seconds per mile too fast, tried using the average pace and get the same results, not sure if the fault is with the watch or if this is normal.

The distance is 100% correct.

SWL wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has anyone had problems with their GPS providing incorrect pace per mile, my is always about 15-20 seconds per mile too fast, tried using the average pace and get the same results, not sure if the fault is with the watch or if this is normal.

The distance is 100% correct.

What model and firmware? There are some known issues with the FR220 and FR620

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

viperlogic wrote: »
    What model and firmware? There are some known issues with the FR220 and FR620

Sorry I should have said its a Polar RC3 watch and not a Garmin, I didn't want to open a new thread

Sorry I should have said its a Polar RC3 watch and not a Garmin, I didn't want to open a new thread

Have you tried the usual such as seeing if firmware is up to date and if so doing a hard/master reset?

Have you tried contacting their support team?

Try pm AMK. He seems to be a bit of a Polar whiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any recommendations for a cheap GPS watch?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Any ideas on how to fix this?

What are the chances of getting a replacement 305 from Garmin?!

Up and Down buttons have been pressed into the housing.

20140719_103024.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this?

What are the chances of getting a replacement 305 from Garmin?!

Up and Down buttons have been pressed into the housing.

20140719_103024.jpg
    Yeah, they'll swap it out for you no bother. But of course they'll charge you for the privilege. There was a really good deal on the 310xt on Amazon.co.uk. Way better value than paying €80-€110 for a refurbished 305.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Cheers Krusty, a new 310XT on its way to me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Could anyone recommend a new garmin watch to me please? I'm using a 205 for a few years now and I find it grand but would like to use a heart rate monitor for certain workouts and the ability to set up sessions on the computer and transfer them to the watch would be useful.
    I'm not particularly bothered by vertical oscillation. :)
    Would 250 notes get me something decent to cover what I want?

Edit - I see micilín has ordered a 310XT above. There's no danger someone would confuse me for a tri-athlon type, if I had one of those on is there? ;)

Beef wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a new garmin watch to me please? I'm using a 205 for a few years now and I find it grand but would like to use a heart rate monitor for certain workouts and the ability to set up sessions on the computer and transfer them to the watch would be useful.
    I'm not particularly bothered by vertical oscillation. :)
    Would 250 notes get me something decent to cover what I want?

Edit - I see micilín has ordered a 310XT above. There's no danger someone would confuse me for a tri-athlon type, if I had one of those on is there? ;)
    It's about the same size as your 205, so there's probably a reasonable risk that they already think you're a triathlete! It's a decent price and does what you're looking for. No vertical oscillation either!

• Advertisement

The Garmin 220 can do workouts and can be got for a good price if you look around

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/product/sports-gps/garmin/garmin-forerunner-220/

Advertisement