Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Stinicker, upset as you are, take comfort that following your gut saved your life. Never forget to trust your gut at all times. Take care of yourself, mate.

I was going to book for Thursday but opted for Wednesday instead as I just got a bad feeling about it despite the cheaper price on Thursday. I'm thinking of all those passengers, the plane on Wed was 100% full with all different nationalities onboard and security in AMS is as strict as the USA with full body scanners also.

My opting to spend €65 more and go a day earlier saved my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's all pointing to the rebels and a very large mistake, wonder how Russia will respond to this

Stinicker wrote: »
    I was going to book for Thursday but opted for Wednesday instead as I just got a bad feeling about it despite the cheaper price on Thursday. I'm thinking of all those passengers, the plane on Wed was 100% full with all different nationalities onboard and security in AMS is as strict as the USA with full body scanners also.

My opting to spend €65 more and go a day earlier saved my life.

No doubt you'll be contacted by the media here (if they haven't already), you is lucky duck !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭thebannerboy

no i was not aware of this. were they going to take over the school and shoot all the kids? is that what you are saying? is this a fact or are you just jumping to some crazy conclusion?

the only thing i am aware of is that 4 palestinian kids were murdered on a beach yesterday

I don't want to distract from the thread so leave it.

But if 14 armed Jihad's emerged from a tunnel a mile from a school in Israel and it was in they're charter to kill all Jews, you would hardly be labelled as jumping to conclusions for being concerned for the welfare of those kids.

Reports coming out say the aircraft was shot down by a BUK anti aircraft missile

• Advertisement

Transaero have confirmed they will be avoiding Ukrainian air space for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I don't want to distract from the thread so leave it.

But.......

:rolleyes:

Press conference from MA at 21.00 (04.00 local)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

They don't waste time do they, nasty *****

http://whois.domaintools.com/flightmh17.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lufthansa will also be avoiding the airspace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    They don't waste time do they, nasty *****

http://whois.domaintools.com/flightmh17.com

What is that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Ok after seeing crash site pictures I see why they aren't showing footage in the news .

There was a lot of families going to Bali via KL on my flight, primarily Dutch, I was sitting next a 3 year old child and his mum on one side and two Aussies on the other as I was slap in the middle of the 2-5-2 layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

This is from the FAA.

These are restrictions to US aircraft in the Simferopol FIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    There will more then likely be Irish passengers on board. Very popular flight for people flying to Australia. Flew this route myself.

That's what I thought when I heard it first
    Jesus! :-(

RIP to all on board.

What is that?

Somebody has registered the .com web address of the flight
    Sully wrote: »

Post 140;)

Had the gobx****e rebels not got planefinder or flightradar to see it was a commercial aircraft? plenty of people with mobile phones out there able to twit pics

Aeroflot confirm they will not fly over Ukraine air space

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

RIP to all those innocent people on that flight.

I flew AMS to KL on MH17 in Apr with Malaysian Airlines, and after the flight MH370 went missing, I was feeling decidedly nervous. I have to say, I thought the crew were the best I had ever flown with. I really feel for all the people who work for Malaysian Airlines after two major tragedies in 6 months.
    Considering the majority of people on my flight were Irish & British flying to Australia, I am praying that no one I know has lost a loved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    There will more then likely be Irish passengers on board. Very popular flight for people flying to Australia. Flew this route myself.

I read in here that there are no Irish on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

How is it not standard procedure to not fly over war zones? Sorry if that's been answered already....

I'd kind of like to know as a frequent long haul flyer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

vicwatson wrote: »
    Air France have confirmed they will be avoiding the airspace
    Sully wrote: »

I see this as little more than reassuring PR from the airlines mentioned and thats fair enough.

However, I expect all airlines using that airspace regularly will avoid the area for the foreseeable future.

I doubt they'll have any choice in the matter to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Can a mod put a warning on the link to the twitter account a couple pages back. Contains extremely graphic pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

vicwatson wrote: »
    Had the gobx****e rebels not got planefinder or flightradar to see it was a commercial aircraft? plenty of people with mobile phones out there able to twit pics

It was ukraine army seemingly not rebels

Virgin Airlines diverting planes around Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

How is it not standard procedure to not fly over war zones? Sorry if that's been answered already....

I'd kind of like to know as a frequent long haul flyer

Apparently not.
    My colleague Dan Milmo in London reports that it has been normal practice for airlines to fly over conflict zones since the Ukraine conflict began. He interviewed a pilot for a major European airline:

"We would often avoid areas where there is air-to-air conflict, but we flew over Iraq and Afghanistan when the British and US armed forces were delpoyed there, because only one side was using military jets."

Explaining why airlines fly over conflict zones where groups might be in possession of ground-to-air missiles, the pilot said: "There will be weapons based on the ground when you are at 30,000 feet, but that is far up in the air. There are not many missile systems that can be so accurate."

His comments suggest that assumptions about weapons capabilities on the ground will have to be reevaluated, pending investigation of the crash.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/17/malaysia-airlines-plane-crashes-ukraine-live

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Money money money.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

https://twitter.com/MatevzNovak

Many pictures on that twitter account

BswrT8RIUAAirQo.jpg:large
    Bswpep-IYAA7ziz.jpg:large
    BswjfYMIMAAtZDS.jpg:large

Considering one of the first pictures on that account is a graphic photo of a body, you should really have posted a warning. What a horrible thing to see :(

Rebels will prob steal the black boxes, hopefully not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I've flown to Asia several times, most recently earlier this week. I often noted that we were over the likes of Chechnya at a time when there would have ground fighting there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm devastated, this was me except something made me pay a few more euros to go for Wednesdays flight instead of Thursdays. I never had such a close call with death, I was trembling at AMS before boarding and the gate agent even asked me if I was ok.

Hey dude, don't know what to say to you other than don't let the randomness of life get to you.

You changed flight for a reason. Live life to the full.

Advertisement