Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Russia Today, (in a rather hysterical on the ground report) are saying that Ukraine closed the airspace around Donetsk and that the aircraft should not have been there.

I find this impossible to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Terrible incident, even without the possibility of it being shot down.

R.I.P. to all those who have perished.

Maybe the Malaysian livery having the Russian colours might have been a factor. Just hearing it is a rebel controlled area and crash investigators might not get full access.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cml387 wrote: »
    Russia Today, (in a rather hysterical on the ground report) are saying that Ukraine closed the airspace around Donetsk and that the aircraft should not have been there.

I find this impossible to believe?

Media reports saying the US told it's airlines not to fly over the area.

Saw the pictures on twitter. While it hasn't directly impacted me, I can't help but feel sick in my stomach and upset at the people who lost their lives today. Caught completely unaware mid-air. Heartbeaking.

May they Rest in Peace. God rest their soul and look after their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mod note: The twitter link below contains extremely graphic pictures, do not click on the link if you're expecting pics of broken fuselage etc. https://twitter.com/MatevzNovak

Many pictures on that twitter account

BswrT8RIUAAirQo.jpg:large
    Bswpep-IYAA7ziz.jpg:large
    BswjfYMIMAAtZDS.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

RT is not to be believed at the best of times.

RIP to those on board and condolences to families and friends. I guess that this will be the end for MH, the corporate raiders on the stock exchange will bury them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

no i was not aware of this. were they going to take over the school and shoot all the kids? is that what you are saying? is this a fact or are you just jumping to some crazy conclusion?

the only thing i am aware of is that 4 palestinian kids were murdered on a beach yesterday
    Are you aware that 14 armed members of Hamas were arrested in Israel this morning one mile from a kids school? They had tunnelled under the border overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

fr336 wrote: »
    I'm worried about what Obama might say if there were US citizens on board! If it was Bush they'd have Russia surrounded already. Bad times...

No they wouldn't.

The Jim Corrisms that emerge within an hour of something like this happening really are astonishing.

Obviously what happened today a huge incident of international signifigance, but it's never going to result in a US assault on Russia regardless of who is in the Oval Office.

Keep some perspective here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Why shoot it down though? It was going from Amsterdam to Malaysia. What has that got to do with Russia/Ukraine. And why was it flying low enough to even make a shoot down possible.

Why? Fog of war or a screw up.

33k is a normal altitude and well within the Buk's range/altitude capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Had something come up on my twitter feed that I don't want to see again, it has actually made me sick to my stomach just sitting here...RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Lapin wrote: »
    No they wouldn't.

The Jim Corrisms that emerge within an hour of something like this happening really are astonishing.

USA good...Russia evil...with you now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm just cold now looking at the images. At Amsterdam on Wednesday I observed the crew getting heavily security checked but they were in good spirits and had positive body language, their was an aura of despair in KL when I arrived there This morning however.

Rip to MH370 and MH17 and all those lost souls

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I dunno if I like these pictures of parts of the plane being posted online, it's a damn graveyard FFS.

Some sicko people, maybe its just me that doesn't like it but I think if anyone has a brain they might realise that it's innappropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

All the aviation experts are out on Sky News I see, apparently we'll never know what happened - Just 3 hrs 40 minutes after the accident. Who are these morons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

no i was not aware of this. were they going to take over the school and shoot all the kids? is that what you are saying? is this a fact or are you just jumping to some crazy conclusion?

the only thing i am aware of is that 4 palestinian kids were murdered on a beach yesterday

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm just cold now looking at the images. At Amsterdam on Wednesday I observed the crew getting heavily security checked but they were in good spirits and had positive body language, their was an aura of despair in KL when I arrived there This morning however.

Jesus christ just seen your post. Thank god you are ok, did you miss the flight?

You side stepped a big one there man, good to have you with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does anyone have a live tracker site that covers this area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Stinicker, upset as you are, take comfort that following your gut saved your life. Never forget to trust your gut at all times. Take care of yourself, mate.

Lufthansa confirms it will be avoiding the region

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Jesus christ just seen your post. Thank god you are ok, did you miss the flight?

As he said in his post he paid extra quids to go a day earlier. He is now in the Phillippines if I'm not mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

If it was flying at 33000 it must take some serious weaponry to take it out. RIP

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Jack1985 wrote: »

He was supposed to on today's flight but changed it to Wednesday(yesterday). He's in the Phillipines now.

Stinicker, upset as you are, take comfort that following your gut saved your life. Never forget to trust your gut at all times. Take care of yourself, mate.

Ain't this the truth. Never ever "Ah it'll be ok" or influenced by others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm devastated, this was me except something made me pay a few more euros to go for Wednesdays flight instead of Thursdays. I never had such a close call with death, I was trembling at AMS before boarding and the gate agent even asked me if I was ok.
    Your story has hit home for me. You really never know. I'm so glad you're OK. No doubt you're very shaken but I hope you get some peace from talking to relatives and friends.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

Although I haven't seen them myself, I've heard about some of the pictures online now. This type of stuff really annoys me. Do some people just not have any respect for the dead or their families?

Just thinking about how these people just this morning were going about their lives like anyone else here. Now there are these types of photos of them on the internet. It sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheQueen

I'm devastated, this was me except something made me pay a few more euros to go for Wednesdays flight instead of Thursdays. I never had such a close call with death, I was trembling at AMS before boarding and the gate agent even asked me if I was ok.

Have you spoken to your family? You must be very shook up.

FHB wrote: »
    Although I haven't seen them myself, I've heard about some of the pictures online now. This type of stuff really annoys me. Do some people just not have any respect for the dead or their families?

Just thinking about how these people just this morning were going about their lives like anyone else here. Now there are these types of photos of them on the internet. It sickens me.

Too many people lead nothing lives and think we're all part of one big society together...individuals don't matter in a media obsessed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Jawgap wrote: »
    Doubt they'll say / do much - everyone will be 'happy' to embrace the separatist story.......

From the Voice of Russia (29 June)

Donetsk militia takes control of Ukrainian anti-air installation

The self-defense forces of Donetsk People’s Republic seized control of a Ukrainian anti-air military installation, RIA Novosti reports.

Proof that it was Militia so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ok after seeing crash site pictures I see why they aren't showing footage in the news .

• Advertisement

Air France have confirmed they will be avoiding the airspace

Advertisement