Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

ken wrote: »
    I'm thinking poppy may have saved the password in firefox/chrome. Could be wrong.

I use google chrome always. Tried the ctrlf5, didint work. They even told me my a/c was de-activated, which it's NOT. I'm sick of Y/H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Download Ccleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Once you have it installed tick all the boxes beside chrome. Then analyse. Let it do its thing and once complete(100%) run cleaner. Make sure chrome is closed while doing it or it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So will XP be grand for another year? Once my Avast supports Internet security?

Avast mentioned to change browser from Explorer to Firefox or Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just to clarify (I think) - I am still using XP, intending to get a new computer so it will be upgraded, but for the moment is there anything I need to do/worry about while still using XP? Should I do the Ccleaner thing and then re-do all my passwords? Is there any point if I just use the same passwords, or should I do new passwords? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    So will XP be grand for another year? Once my Avast supports Internet security?

Avast mentioned to change browser from Explorer to Firefox or Chrome.
    looksee wrote: »
    Just to clarify (I think) - I am still using XP, intending to get a new computer so it will be upgraded, but for the moment is there anything I need to do/worry about while still using XP? Should I do the Ccleaner thing and then re-do all my passwords? Is there any point if I just use the same passwords, or should I do new passwords? Cheers!
    Im far from an expert on these matters and often have to look for help myself but from reading a bit about the problems facing XP users I have found the best advise to be this:

1. Dont use Internet Explorer as your browser. Use firefox or chrome. Both will support XP for approx another 12 months but that doesnt guarantee safe browsing although it helps.

2. Only go online when you have to. Use your PC for anything else except web browsing is the best solution.

3. Upgrading to a newer version of windows is the cheapest but not the best option. There could be problems with the basic system as it may not be able to handle higher spec operating systems which could lead to having to change video cards, motherboard etc etc. which all cost more money and you still have an old machine at the end of the day. Best option here is buy a new PC if you can afford to do so.

4. Changing passwords is always advisable especially after a recent virus (heartbleed I think it was called). Saving log in and password details in the browsers is probably the worse thing you do from a security point of view.

The above is just my opinion based on what I've read over the last few weeks.

I have a thread here in relation to XP security issues and there have been a couple of very helpful replies and good advice given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I had a phone that was mine that O2 wouldn't unlock cause I hadn't spent €120 on top ups in the previous 6 months. There's a shop in Newbridge that'll unlock phones for €20+(the + is for newer better phones). I brought the phone to them,showed ID and signed a piece of paper swearing the phone wasn't stolen. 10 mins later it was unlocked to all networks anywhere. I'm sure there is a shop somewhere near you that does computer/phone/tv repairs.

Thanks Ken, I'll try to find a shop.

Just an update: Vodafone eventually sent one of their famous cut and paste replies with a code number and instructions. Needless to say, the code number doesn't work and the instructions are, at best, either incomplete or applicable only to other brands of phone. They are, however, peppered with dire warnings that MY phone would be killed forever if their bogus instructions were not followed. They also supplied a link of the chocolate teacup variety - I now know what the "FA" in "FAQs" stands for) and a phone number which (as usual) isn't available outside the UK.

Am I allowed to say that Vodafone UK have to be the most shambolic shower of money-grabbing sheisters ever to infest the Earth? Maybe not. Oh well...!

And to those of you who swear by Vodafone, just wait until you want something from them that might have a negative impact on their profit margin. You should first dig a trench, stock it with several weeks supply of industrial strength Valium and settle in for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its any help to people who, like myself, aren't very technically minded when it comes to PCs there's a fantastic site download.com where you can download literally thousands of different bits and bobs for free.

The home page lists the top downloads among other things but up at the top if you type in what you are looking for - "anti virus" or "DVD burner" for example it will display everything thats available together with user popularity and editors picks. Down along the left side of the page you can then check various boxes for free, free to try, choose operating system etc etc.

I have never ever got any viruses or the likes in anything I've downloaded from there but always be careful when you go to install an app as you should always choose "custom install" over "recommended". If you choose the latter you run the risk of installing search engines and browser toolbars etc whereas the former option will install what you downloaded by either allowing you to untick boxes or choose decline which will prevent the add ons being installed.

I have found it great over the years and hopefully some of you might make use of it.

Download Ccleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Once you have it installed tick all the boxes beside chrome. Then analyse. Let it do its thing and once complete(100%) run cleaner. Make sure chrome is closed while doing it or it won't work.

Thanks Ken. It worked. I cleared all my stored p/w's on chrome

muffler wrote: »
    If its any help to people who, like myself, aren't very technically minded when it comes to PCs there's a fantastic site download.com where you can download literally thousands of different bits and bobs for free.

Nice one, Muffler. I've been looking for a Down-to-Earth audio recording package (for my ukelele) and, so far, I haven't been able to find night classes anywhere in Europe to learn how to use them. The weakness, as is the case with most technology these days, is the sales blurb - "this is great; you can do this and that so easily, etc., etc" - leaving little space for the "How to". If there is a "How to" it's written by uber-nerds, with interpersonnel communication issues, on a slang-fest.

download.com lists quite a few packages. They come with both real-life and Nerdish reviews so I'll pick one and see how intuitive it is. If not, I'll try another. I'm determined to be a recording sensation - the next Tiny Tim.

poppyvally wrote: »
    Thanks Ken. It worked. I cleared all my stored p/w's on chrome
    Glad that worked for you Poppy.

• Advertisement

I had a lengthy post written. Just as I was about to send ...it vanished! It was mostly about being on a shared p/c.

I had a phone that was mine that O2 wouldn't unlock cause I hadn't spent €120 on top ups in the previous 6 months. There's a shop in Newbridge that'll unlock phones for €20
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    Thanks Ken, I'll try to find a shop.

Well, the nice (non-national) man in the Pavilions in Swords unlocked my phone for €20. No affidavits or DNA samples were required and now I'm rid of Vodafone forever.

Unfortunately, although my phone can now send and receive calls and texts, it delivers an error code when trying to set up emails. Mr. Google has a shedful of fixes for this problem, some going back to 2008. As yet, no solution has worked for my phone.

I would have thought that the network providers, who never tire telling us how valued we are and how they are striving to further improve their service, would have sorted this at least six-year-old problem by now but....oh silly me....of course, there's no profit in emails so why should they sort this out?

After two months of being messed around by Vodafone UK and now by O2.ie, I'm considering digging a hole in the garden, planting this phone in it and buying a SIM-free phone from Mr. Argos. Would I be right in saying that, although more expensive, a SIM-free phone cannot be locked by the sheisters I mean networks so that, if and when required, I can dump one sheis...network and move to another without the grief of trying to get the correct unlock code and then trying to calculate which of their unlock instructions are true, false or missing?

I've heard that 3 will lock any phone once you bring a phone to their network. Don't know if it's still true or not.

What phone is it exactly. We might be able to help with the email thing or maybe the mobile forum might be able to help.

I've heard that 3 will lock any phone once you bring a phone to their network. Don't know if it's still true or not.

What phone is it exactly. We might be able to help with the email thing or maybe the mobile forum might be able to help.

Oh, fear not, Ken! I will perform perfect 180's out of the shops if I get the wrong answer about locking a SIM-free phone!

It's a BlackBerry Curve 8520 with an Irish O2 SIM card. When trying to set up emails (my email address is already listed in the phone correctly but I can't send or receive emails) the message reads: "Your device had a problem connecting to the server".

Mr. Google has been very familiar with this message since 2008. Unfortunately, his remedies either don't work - battery out; SIM out; battery in; power up; battery out; SIM in, battery in; power up) or include "dead-end" directions. My Irish O2 SIM works fine in other phones.

While all advice would be gratefully received, after two fruitless months of head-butting with Vodafone UK for a working unlocking code; two online phone unlockers who haven't delivered or responded and now, as more grief from O2 and / or BlackBerry seems inevitable, the compost heap at the end of my garden seems an appropriate final resting place for this BlackBerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Oh, fear not, Ken! I will perform perfect 180's out of the shops if I get the wrong answer about locking a SIM-free phone!

It's a BlackBerry Curve 8520 with an Irish O2 SIM card. When trying to set up emails (my email address is already listed in the phone correctly but I can't send or receive emails) the message reads: "Your device had a problem connecting to the server".

Mr. Google has been very familiar with this message since 2008. Unfortunately, his remedies either don't work - battery out; SIM out; battery in; power up; battery out; SIM in, battery in; power up) or include "dead-end" directions. My Irish O2 SIM works fine in other phones.

While all advice would be gratefully received, after two fruitless months of head-butting with Vodafone UK for a working unlocking code; two online phone unlockers who haven't delivered or responded and now, as more grief from O2 and / or BlackBerry seems inevitable, the compost heap at the end of my garden seems an appropriate final resting place for this BlackBerry.

Well I reckon, we can sort this out without bothering the guy's over in the Techie Forums, they all speak Gobbldygook anyway.

So you need to get into the Settings for Email, I assume you are on Gmail, the settings need to match Two things,
    1. The incoming Email server.
    2. Yes you guessed, the outgoing Email server

These little places deal with incoming and outgoing messages, so if you do not have their address right, the post cannot be delivered.

These addresses, have names like " IMAP.gmail.com.993.1"
    Try and find these..

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well I reckon, we can sort this out without bothering the guy's over in the Techie Forums, they all speak Gobbldygook anyway.

So you need to get into the Settings for Email, I assume you are on Gmail, the settings need to match Two things,
    1. The incoming Email server.
    2. Yes you guessed, the outgoing Email server

These little places deal with incoming and outgoing messages, so if you do not have their address right, the post cannot be delivered.

These addresses, have names like " IMAP.gmail.com.993.1"
    Try and find these..

Much appreciated, Martin and yes, I am on gmail but.....
    Setup>Email Settings>Initialisation application>"Your device had a problem connecting to the server."
    This error message is instant and there is no option but to retry with the same result or to cancel.
    I'm pretty sure that over the last few weeks I've tried every possible route but I've never seen anything even remotely like "IMAP.gmail...."

My BlackBerry started life as a company-supplied phone. I bought it from them when I left. Despite this, Vodafone locked it and demanded a £20 ransom to use it in Ireland. Their top-up systems (to pay the ransom) were ALL either not working or not available outside the UK - hence my disgust with Vodafone!

But now I'm wondering if, as part of the initial set-up by IT, an obstacle was built in to prevent customisation by employees. For instance:
    Advanced Options>Wireless Update>Current version is 5.0.0.1036. Check for Updates>"Requesting new updates has been disabled by your administrator"

I could contact IT and ask but their reply will probably be in a dialect only they and Klingons understand. No, I think my BlackBerry may soon join the Rubik's Cube in the compost heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭batistuta9

can you access the internet on your phone?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    can you access the internet on your phone?

Yes, Mr. Google is coming in loud and clear but, with the small BlackBerry screen, it's not a fun experience.

Yes, Mr. Google is coming in loud and clear but, with the small BlackBerry screen, it's not a fun experience.

right, it's not ideal but i suppose you could access your email through the browser in the meantime.

i don't know much about BBs' being honest, though i think you could be right regards work having something to do with it, your work email being setup for the device, etc.

try this:
    Click Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table. Click the Menu key and click Register Now.
    then try to setup the email again

though you're probably better asking in the mobiles forum or calling into an 02 store about it

Much appreciated, Martin and yes, I am on gmail but.....
    Setup>Email Settings>Initialisation application>"Your device had a problem connecting to the server."
    This error message is instant and there is no option but to retry with the same result or to cancel.
    I'm pretty sure that over the last few weeks I've tried every possible route but I've never seen anything even remotely like "IMAP.gmail...."

My BlackBerry started life as a company-supplied phone. I bought it from them when I left. Despite this, Vodafone locked it and demanded a £20 ransom to use it in Ireland. Their top-up systems (to pay the ransom) were ALL either not working or not available outside the UK - hence my disgust with Vodafone!

But now I'm wondering if, as part of the initial set-up by IT, an obstacle was built in to prevent customisation by employees. For instance:
    Advanced Options>Wireless Update>Current version is 5.0.0.1036. Check for Updates>"Requesting new updates has been disabled by your administrator"

I could contact IT and ask but their reply will probably be in a dialect only they and Klingons understand. No, I think my BlackBerry may soon join the Rubik's Cube in the compost heap.

There Is a place called. Www.mail2web.com

If your inter web is working, go there, and put in your email address and password, it should work. The password is the one for your email account.

• Advertisement

There Is a place called. Www.mail2web.com

If your inter web is working, go there, and put in your email address and password, it should work. The password is the one for your email account.

Had another thought, it seems you are trying to access email, through the email settings on your phone.....silly you.

Go to Google home page, you will see a square thing, at the top, click on that, and one of the options will be Gmail.
    Go to that, and it will ask you to register a new account, or if Already registered, put in your log in details,

Email address, and password, and in you go.

Then send an email, to the cretin who is the administrator, at your previous Employer and tell him, you cracked his code,and not to use his grandmothers date of birth, coupled with the first name of the girl who took his virginity, as a password on your phone.

try this:
    Click Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table. Click the Menu key and click Register Now.
    then try to setup the email again

though you're probably better asking in the mobiles forum or calling into an 02 store about it
    Had another thought, it seems you are trying to access email, through the email settings on your phone.....silly you.

Go to Google home page, you will see a square thing, at the top, click on that, and one of the options will be Gmail.
    Go to that, and it will ask you to register a new account, or if Already registered, put in your log in details,

Email address, and password, and in you go.

Then send an email, to the cretin who is the administrator, at your previous Employer and tell him, you cracked his code,and not to use his grandmothers date of birth, coupled with the first name of the girl who took his virginity, as a password on your phone.

Once again, thanks for your patience and assistance. I'll try www.mail2web.com later.

Regarding Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table. Click the Menu key and click Register Now.
    Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>"No Entries"
    In the meantime, I've logged in with my gmail details on Google and sent a test email to the Leader of the Opposition:
    "Pending>Resend>Pending>Resend>Pending"
    As for the email to IT Admin, your instructions are so complicated! And (how can I put this.......) I doubt if he has or ever had a girlfriend. But the scatter cushions on his office chair are delightful.

In the meantime, I've logged in with my gmail details on Google and sent a test email to the Leader of the Opposition:
    "Pending>Resend>Pending>Resend>Pending"
    Update:
    "Pending>Resend>Pending>Resend>Pending>General send failure. Please try again." Got this on three separate test emails.
    So, although I can access the web and my gmail account (unread emails only) on this BlackBerry, I can't send emails via the browser.

Update:
    "Pending>Resend>Pending>Resend>Pending>General send failure. Please try again." Got this on three separate test emails.
    So, although I can access the web and my gmail account (unread emails only) on this BlackBerry, I can't send emails via the browser.

do you still need or have a blackberry data?

try the mobile forum for people that know more about blackberrys

do you still need or have a blackberry data?

try the mobile forum for people that know more about blackberrys

"A BlackBerry Data"?? Whoss dah?

And, not wishing to sound ungrateful but.......I've visited the mobile forum a few times and always left it wondering where those guys learn that vocabulary and whether it can ever be translated into Plain English.

Anyway, I dug a grave in the compost heap for my BlackBerry but, just as the mourners were gathering, a critical grocery deficiency alert was raised. While in the general area of the grocery shop, I roamed into the O2 shop to be welcomed by the staff who hadn't seen me for at least three days.

This time, they wheeled out their uber-guru, who, with thumbs ablur, bombed RIM into admitting that one of THEIR automatic / designed to fail and infuriate systems was responsible for these weeks of frustration.

Twenty minutes later, my BlackBerry started delivering the weeks of emails it had squirelled away. And all for €10. The entire staff of the O2 shop, and some of the customers cheered and hugged each other as my phone pinged and pinged like a cheap music box.

And, thanks to boards, I have a detailed journal of this saga which will be recorded forever in my memoirs.

I also want to thank my parents; my therapist; the entire Polish and Lithuanian nations; O2; Shell for making the petrol for all of the trips to Vodafone and O2 shops; Pirelli for making the tyres; Mr. MacAdam for making the tarmac on the roads between here and the phone shops, etc.; etc. In fact, everyone.......except Vodamfone.........and CackBerry.

"A BlackBerry Data"?? Whoss dah?

And, not wishing to sound ungrateful but.......I've visited the mobile forum a few times and always left it wondering where those guys learn that vocabulary and whether it can ever be translated into Plain English.

Anyway, I dug a grave in the compost heap for my BlackBerry but, just as the mourners were gathering, a critical grocery deficiency alert was raised. While in the general area of the grocery shop, I roamed into the O2 shop to be welcomed by the staff who hadn't seen me for at least three days.

This time, they wheeled out their uber-guru, who, with thumbs ablur, bombed RIM into admitting that one of THEIR automatic / designed to fail and infuriate systems was responsible for these weeks of frustration.

Twenty minutes later, my BlackBerry started delivering the weeks of emails it had squirelled away. And all for €10. The entire staff of the O2 shop, and some of the customers cheered and hugged each other as my phone pinged and pinged like a cheap music box.

And, thanks to boards, I have a detailed journal of this saga which will be recorded forever in my memoirs.

I also want to thank my parents; my therapist; the entire Polish and Lithuanian nations; O2; Shell for making the petrol for all of the trips to Vodafone and O2 shops; Pirelli for making the tyres; Mr. MacAdam for making the tarmac on the roads between here and the phone shops, etc.; etc. In fact, everyone.......except Vodamfone.........and CackBerry.

Great news, what was the problem??

In plain English.

(I reckon if you had stuck with us, we would have got there...........eventually )

(Well maybe not ). (But it was fun while it lasted ).

Great news, what was the problem??

In plain English.

(I reckon if you had stuck with us, we would have got there...........eventually )

(Well maybe not ). (But it was fun while it lasted ).

Something like CackBerry have to be consulted (and paid) for some super-code after you pay Vodafone's unlocking ransom.

But again, let us remind ourselves that I bought this phone, with my own money, from my employer. It was released by Vodafone to my employer with no financial penalties but when I installed a PAYG SIM card into MY phone, Vodafone decided that THEY owned the phone and started the whole "pay us again" chant.

To add insult to injury, when Vodafone eventually sent me an unlock code, it was the wrong code accompanied by deviously incomplete instructions.

The nice man in Swords finally unlocked MY phone but even he didn't know about this extra, secret unlocking step, and charge, imposed by BlackBerry.

However, the O2 guru did know about it and performed the final ceremony today.

Sorry I can't describe the technicalities of this ceremony - my attention was elsewhere, trying to count the number of ways these sheisters have to extort money from us. If this BlackBerry so much as burbs it's going to landfill (I don't care if that's environmentally responsible or not) and I'm going SIM-free so that I never have to go through two months of unlocking woes again.

I'd like to be played by Colin Farrell in the film. If your really really drunk and squint sideways through the bottom of a glass milk bottle I look f*ck all like him. Probably best get Brendan Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i need a copy of windows 98, i found an early ibm thinkpad which has little hd space and less memory, it would suit the rugrats when they call especiall on a rainy day, i had a copy but stupidly gave it to a teenage relitave some years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

I'm thinking something like Ccleaner. Where you can set it to erase all log ins and saved passwords. A little gem of a programme I've recommended before and will again.
    takea look at jet clean, a rather nice bit of competition, nothing like it.

Advertisement