Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Hotale.com wrote: »
    You could use bit.ly to shorten it, and I think google offer a similar service

So they do, and works great - I could of just Googled that.

Ridiculously long links on the JobBridge page.

The cynical among us might think it was deliberate to make people less likely to share links to the internship ads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Again you're making use of the 'lump of labour' fallacy as a straw-man, when nobody argued that the number of jobs is static.

Moreover, the stats you provided prove that job loss is happening, you only disagree on the degree of job losses - it's a variety of special pleading, "that does not pass my subjective threshold to be considered as 'real' job loss, so it doesn't count".

I don't argue myself, that Job Bridge causes any significant displacement/job-losses, given how small the number of people is in the program - but you're showing a deliberately selective interpretation of the stats, to make logically definitive statements that are contradicted by the same stats - i.e. non-sequiturs which don't follow from the stats you provide.

I would not be surprised if this deliberate black/white framing "there is only a small amount of job loss, so there is no job loss", is for trying to get people to point out your inconsistency, and then accuse them of arguing the opposite extreme "Job Bridge leads to widescale job loss (as a percentage of the labour force)" - even though, from what I can see, nobody does argue that, yet that is the straw-man you are countering, pretending it is peoples actual argument.

It's manufacturing endless straw-men, to keep the debate spinning, to create opportunities for soapboxing, such as this zombie-argument that has been debunked dozens of times:

Fallacy of Composition again - which you know the 'lump of labour' attempt at counterargument is a straw-man, since nothing here argues that the number of jobs is fixed (a requirement for the 'lump of labour' fallacy):
    Fallacy of Composition|Reality
    "JobBridge reduces unemployment"|JobBridge helps some unemployed workers, compete against the rest of the unemployed, for the same number of jobs (with exceptions for skill-shortage roles - with no stats to quantify JobBridge's contribution here). This does not rule out non-Job-Bridge changes to job/unemployment numbers.
    "Removing minimum wage boosts employment"|This can reduce wages/aggregate-demand/business-profits and then reduce employment.
    "Slashes wages can boost employment"|For the same reasons as above, can reduce employment.
    "People can get a job, they just need to put more effort in and try harder, to retrain into skilled roles that are in demand"|There are not enough jobs available, not everybody will be employed, no matter how hard they all try or how much effort they collectively put in.
    "In a worldwide economic downturn, people can get a job, they just need to emigrate"|In a worldwide downturn, similar to above, there are not enough jobs available, not everybody will be employed, no matter how many emigrate.
    "Competing on exports (e.g. by slashing wages) can bring recovery"|If all of the world tries to import less and export more all at once (which a great many of our trading partners are, due to the economic crisis), they will all fail, and it will be a race-to-the-bottom in wages/living-standards.
    "Cutting government spending and increasing taxes (austerity) can bring recovery"|Cutting government spending and increasing taxes, reduces aggregate demand, which harms employment and economic activity.
    "A government budget surplus is good"|A budget surplus, without adequate exports to offset the money this removes from the private sector, can drain the private sector of money and cause an over-reliance on credit/debt (which can create an unsustainable debt bubble).

There are no stats showing any decrease in unemployment from Job Bridge, but there are stats showing an increase in jobs lost; it is possible that the net total of jobs created by Job Bridge (e.g. for roles with skill shortages), outnumbers the total number of displaced jobs (and not every displacement equals unemployment) - but you provide no stats on that whatsoever, you just cherry pick unrepresentative stats and ignore the fallacy of composition.

Just out of interest, as you seem to enjoy this graphic of yours: Given that Ireland has faced and still does face an enormous budget deficit, along with high debt levels, how exactly do you solve those issues without 'austerity'? If the deficit isn't cut the national debt levels would reach even more unsustainable levels.

Off topic I know but as you're talking about fallacy, how about you address the lack of an alternative to the 'austerity doesn't work' answer, specifically looking at the Irish situation. Don't quote some article referring to Austerity in general where its not implemented in a situation where the country has enormous debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Just wondering, why are the link addresses so long, any way of getting a shorter hyperlink to the internship pages??

Write:
    [noparse]arf[/noparse]

Becomes:
    arf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

AdamD wrote: »
    Just out of interest, as you seem to enjoy this graphic of yours: Given that Ireland has faced and still does face an enormous budget deficit, along with high debt levels, how exactly do you solve those issues without 'austerity'? If the deficit isn't cut the national debt levels would reach even more unsustainable levels.

Off topic I know but as you're talking about fallacy, how about you address the lack of an alternative to the 'austerity doesn't work' answer, specifically looking at the Irish situation. Don't quote some article referring to Austerity in general where its not implemented in a situation where the country has enormous debt.
    Since this isn't the thread for it, I've put up a thread on that here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057192323

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Good article today in the Irish Times 'All work and no pay: why Ireland's interns are tired of working for free'.

www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/all-work-and-no-pay-why-ireland-s-interns-are-tired-of-working-for-free-1.1766646?page=1

Good analysis the only issue is that they spent too much of the article documenting individual cases. We know or can imagine at this stage how an intern may feel or be exploited. We need to start a dialogue with the human resource directors in these organisations and those responsible for promoting jobbridge.

Good advice:

"To avoid the pitfalls, prospective interns need to know that unpaid internships should be short, sweet and well-defined, says lawyer Janice Walshe, employment law expert with Byrne Wallace in Dublin. “As a rule of thumb, a genuine internship will generally be for a relatively short period and the intern will be engaged mostly to ‘observe’ rather than actually work,” she says. Expenses are often covered and don’t be afraid to ask, but get validated receipts. Walshe advises that unpaid interns who end up actually working have the potential for a legal case for payment under the Minimum Wage Act.

Walshe advises prospective interns to look for the following “best practice”: a transparent and non-discriminatory selection procedure from a large pool of candidates, to avoid accusations of “cronyism”. A written agreement that sets out the terms of the internship and a clear structure, with the expectations of both parties stated and set around training, mentoring and feedback. If the work is unpaid, it should last only a few weeks, as the longer it continues, the more likely it is that the intern will be doing the actual work of an employee and therefore be deserving of employee status and pay, Walshe advises".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Good article today in the Irish Times 'All work and no pay: why Ireland's interns are tired of working for free'.

www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/all-work-and-no-pay-why-ireland-s-interns-are-tired-of-working-for-free-1.1766646?page=1

Good analysis the only issue is that they spent too much of the article documenting individual cases. We know or can imagine at this stage how an intern may feel or be exploited. We need to start a dialogue with the human resource directors in these organisations and those responsible for promoting jobbridge.

Good advice:

"To avoid the pitfalls, prospective interns need to know that unpaid internships should be short, sweet and well-defined, says lawyer Janice Walshe, employment law expert with Byrne Wallace in Dublin. “As a rule of thumb, a genuine internship will generally be for a relatively short period and the intern will be engaged mostly to ‘observe’ rather than actually work,” she says. Expenses are often covered and don’t be afraid to ask, but get validated receipts. Walshe advises that unpaid interns who end up actually working have the potential for a legal case for payment under the Minimum Wage Act.

Walshe advises prospective interns to look for the following “best practice”: a transparent and non-discriminatory selection procedure from a large pool of candidates, to avoid accusations of “cronyism”. A written agreement that sets out the terms of the internship and a clear structure, with the expectations of both parties stated and set around training, mentoring and feedback. If the work is unpaid, it should last only a few weeks, as the longer it continues, the more likely it is that the intern will be doing the actual work of an employee and therefore be deserving of employee status and pay, Walshe advises".

I have wondered about that before, what if a person on JobBridge decided to go to the courts over the matter of fair payment for the work they have done and the courts sided with them and found some sort of illegality with the scheme, it would open a floodgate of people wanting compensation.

I know it would never happen and I am sure when you sign off on whatever forms you need to provide to do the scheme they will have something in the small print covering themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

Good advice:

methinks that this firm will me unendated with requests for appointments next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Good advice:

I've read that article too, and I can't thank this post enough.

I don't have well-off parents to support me through an unpaid/barely-paid internship, so I'm glad that I'm studying computer science right now.

You get laissez-faire arseholes who complain about my generation feeling entitled, and yet they never say anything about the sense of entitlement of big business. I hear these horror stories of zero-hour contracts and interns working upwards of 70 hours per week, and it just makes me despair. It makes me despair that some fatcat can dump that much work on people and pay them fuck-all. If someone forced a housekeeper to work >70 hours a week, there would be outcries of slavery. And yet, the plight of a young graduate working for that long is ignored because that's the way corporate **** want it, to drag us back to the dark days where trade unions and workers' rights were unheard of, because it hurts their profit margins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Xenji wrote: »
    I know it would never happen and I am sure when you sign off on whatever forms you need to provide to do the scheme they will have something in the small print covering themselves.
    The question is; can contract supersede law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tbh other than taking up some space whats the problem with a long link? You're not typing them out are you?
    They tend to become invalid after a short space of time.
    A couple of my friends were made permanent with the companies they interned with.
    Were they actual interns, or jobbridge "interns"? The former are usually trial periods, where as the latter can be stacking shelves at Tescos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Xenji wrote: »
    I have wondered about that before, what if a person on JobBridge decided to go to the courts over the matter of fair payment for the work they have done and the courts sided with them and found some sort of illegality with the scheme, it would open a floodgate of people wanting compensation.

the way this country is run...there is no way in hell that a judge will ever find that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

NZ_2014 wrote: »

The JobBridge website is a poorly coded piece of crap - those URLs can be as long as 400 characters, Not only that but links to individual ads are not permenent. you could link to an ad today and it will be dead in two days even though the ad is still active.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Grand so, permabear was mocking the unemployed for being poor and people were mocking you for offering yourself up for an internship in a restaurant waitressing.

Permabear stated that numerous people were mocked, this is untrue.

So basically you admit they were mocking me and go on to mock me yourself to make a point.. and not a very good one at that. Interesting! I never offered myself up as a waitress for a restaurant nothing could be further from the truth it was actually mainly to be as a chef in a cafe but suit yourself if twisting the truth makes more sense to you! Again I never said I agreed with how the scheme turned out I just shared my exp and people like you decide to take it as an attack. That wasn't my intention. Simply sharing my anecdote as many others have. Unfortunately I didn't get the position because of an illness, I can't work the 30 hours but he has put an ad up for a chef internship- no exp required. That's not taking advantage. I don't see where permabear mocked the poor but that's not really the point I was defending my position not permabears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

arf91 wrote: »
    So basically you admit they were mocking me and go on to mock me yourself to make a point.. and not a very good one at that. Interesting! I never offered myself up as a waitress for a restaurant nothing could be further from the truth it was actually mainly to be as a chef in a cafe but suit yourself if twisting the truth makes more sense to you! Again I never said I agreed with how the scheme turned out I just shared my exp and people like you decide to take it as an attack. That wasn't my intention. Simply sharing my anecdote as many others have. Unfortunately I didn't get the position because of an illness, I can't work the 30 hours but he has put an ad up for a chef internship- no exp required. That's not taking advantage. I don't see where permabear mocked the poor but that's not really the point I was defending my position not permabears.

I'm am not sure why you are trying to shoehorn yourself into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I'm am not sure why you are trying to shoehorn yourself into this.

I'm really not, why do you think I have some agenda? I don't I'm literally just giving my experience there's no need to be offended by it, I'm not here for a chat I'm *literally* just sharing my exp with the jobbridge scheme and pointing out there is at least one decent employer there. I'm not interested in defending the scheme even.

I'm really not, why do you think I have some agenda? I don't I'm literally just giving my experience there's no need to be offended by it, I'm not here for a chat I'm *literally* just sharing my exp with the jobbridge scheme and pointing out there is at least one decent employer there. I'm not interested in defending the scheme even.

It is more to do with your attitude and sense of entitlement and how you have came across in your posts. As per your previous posts you have not even been on the scheme yet but have been trying to be taken on, so how do you have experience of it when you have not done an internship yet. Best of luck to you though if you do get it and it works out the way you wanted, always good to hear a success story.

I'm really not, why do you think I have some agenda?

Because you keep replying when someone else is the focus of the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

TheJournal.ie - Yes, I am now a JobBridge intern
    After two years of being unemployed, I’ve just started a JobBridge internship. The experience has been a mixed one so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

allibastor wrote: »
    A company I used to work for has placed an AD for an intern again, It will be the 6th intern in 2.2 years that they have used.
    The company provides labour solutions to Northern Europe and does make very good money, but still uses interns as they are free. Even the wording on all the intern ads have changed, different job titles etc. to ensure they can get free workers.

Glad I am out of there, it sickens me that companies who can afford it are still bleeding the system dry.

Why wouldn't the company take advantage of a system that provides them with free labour, they would be foolish not to.

Bottom line, free labour helps to increase company profits!!!

Just curious. I'm not participating in jobbridge but are folks putting down the fact that the job was a jobbridge or just leaving out the jobbridge part on their C.V's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Just curious. I'm not participating in jobbridge but are folks putting down the fact that the job was a jobbridge or just leaving out the jobbridge part on their C.V's.

I'd say intern or work experience personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

If companies are going to be taking advantage of this scheme and they do and then you have fas forcing people into these positions.

Would it not be better to have month long internships for these menial jobs like shop assistants, office workers, secretaries so long as you have no previous experious. And then keep them on after. It doesnt cost the employer while training them in and a full time job after a month.

Just an idea.

If the interns are doing full time work then they should be on minimum wage in fairness. Internships should be about gaining knowledge and experience, not performing someone elses duties to save a company money. It would be great to see someone take an employer who abused the scheme for free labour to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That sounds like a very good idea.

If the interns are doing full time work then they should be on minimum wage in fairness. Internships should be about gaining knowledge and experience, not performing someone elses duties to save a company money. It would be great to see someone take an employer who abused the scheme for free labour to court.

At the very least the staff at these companies should have a whip round before the intern leaves.

We usually bring them out for a fancy lunch and get them a card and a bottle of wine the day they are finishing, they are also welcome to come in and use the photocopiers, scanners, printers ect after they have finished as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If companies are going to be taking advantage of this scheme and they do and then you have fas forcing people into these positions.

Would it not be better to have month long internships for these menial jobs like shop assistants, office workers, secretaries so long as you have no previous experious. And then keep them on after. It doesnt cost the employer while training them in and a full time job after a month.

Just an idea.

It's simple really to make this scheme effective.

Goverment pay's the 238 and the host pays the difference to make it minimum wage.

The result companies that are struggling are getting an employee for 100 euro.

The country creates minimum wage jobs which benefits everybody.

Greedy company's looking for free labour won't be exploiting people.

I can't understand how this is not done it's the best thing for the country and for people.

Advertisement