Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay - New Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Thanks for that photo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Around the corner at the Elysian, Aldi has just been granted planning permission to open on the ground floor. Apparently there was not one objection to Bord Pleanala which is rare for the likes of Aldi/Lidl etc.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0403/features/aldi-wins-elysian-go-ahead-264080.html

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Great to see that building being put to use.

I pass it most days and by the looks of things the apartments are filling up slowly but surely.

Was a bit surprised that The Elysian owners objected to the new office block on Albert Quay. With a potential capacity of 2000 people - some of which will need
    accommodation in the city - it is perfect opportunity to to fill the place once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

The march of aldi continues

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

ongarboy wrote: »
    Around the corner at the Elysian, Aldi has just been granted planning permission to open on the ground floor. Apparently there was not one objection to Bord Pleanala which is rare for the likes of Aldi/Lidl etc.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0403/features/aldi-wins-elysian-go-ahead-264080.html

There was always provision for a shop in the plans though. I think it was either a Spar or Centra that was supposed to go in there from day one but it never happened.

• Advertisement

Supprised tesco didnt jump in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not too surprising I'd say, given there are very few people living in that area other than the Elysian building itself.

It's a bit of an odd location for a store too, for the same reason. Most of the customers will be coming from the building itself, maybe a few from Albert Rd. It's a fairly pedestrian-unfriendly area though with very busy traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Apparently there was not one objection to Bord Pleanala which is rare for the likes of Aldi/Lidl etc.

Coincidentally, there was not one objection to the Elysian when it was going through the planning process.

Michael.. wrote: »
    Great to see that building being put to use.

I pass it most days and by the looks of things the apartments are filling up slowly but surely.

Was a bit surprised that The Elysian owners objected to the new office block on Albert Quay. With a potential capacity of 2000 people - some of which will need
    accommodation in the city - it is perfect opportunity to to fill the place once and for all.

O' Flynn stated in a recent interview that almost 50% of the apartments are now occupied. Still appears as if he's shot himself in the foot by complaining. Albert quay development is guaranteed to not only fill the Elysian but also increase the value of the apartments.

who_me wrote: »

It's a bit of an odd location for a store too, for the same reason. Most of the customers will be coming from the building itself, maybe a few from Albert Rd. It's a fairly pedestrian-unfriendly area though with very busy traffic.

I was a bit surprised when I read Aldi were interested in opening a store in the Elysian. It's been marketed as Corks most exclusive address so I would have thought that a discount supermarket would be the last place the residents would shop. Also, there are not many residential areas around the Elysian and it is as you say pretty pedestrian unfriendly. I was thinking that Aldi primarily spotted an opportunity to advertise their brand to the tens of thousands of drivers that come off the link road everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The Elysian Tower, with the exception of the English Core builders, was built by Polish workers, we are already reaping their legacy in many estates around the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Red Nissan wrote: »
    The Elysian Tower, with the exception of the English Core builders, was built by Polish workers, we are already raping their legacy in many estates around the county.

We're already what now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

evilivor wrote: »
    We're already what now?

Should be reaping the rewards.

You would be supprised by the amount of upper class people using aldi the stores look fine too maybe a bit posher looking tjan lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Red Nissan wrote: »
    The Elysian Tower, with the exception of the English Core builders, was built by Polish workers, we are already reaping their legacy in many estates around the county.

What exactly are you saying here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Seems Michael O' Flynn has really got his knickers in a twist. He's just been granted a judicial review by high court of the original decision by Cork city council to grant planning permission. ABP's review of the case has now been put on hold until after the high court hearing which is scheduled for the 3rd of June.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0404/ireland/office-block-plans-to-undergo-judicial-review-264274.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Height issues? It's a bit odd that he's complaining about height issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The term throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind.

My exact thoughts.

If this development gets shot down over height it'll be a joke. As it is the Elysian stands out like a sore thumb. Another couple of relatively high buildings in close proximity are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

It's really about sour grapes. The developer, Cleary, has already got tenants for every unit in the building. Which has put Flynn's nose out of joint what with the Elysian still having lots of empty space. Cleary already did the same with his development in Mahon and was accused of hoovering up what little business there was in the property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

RDJ, probably the biggest solicitor firm in Munster, moved out of the South Mall last year, from a building they were renting from O'Flynn and into Cleary's new building in Mahon so I'd say there's no love lost between the two of them.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    RDJ, probably the biggest solicitor firm in Munster, moved out of the South Mall last year, from a building they were renting from O'Flynn and into Cleary's new building in Mahon so I'd say there's no love lost between the two of them.

Well, that explains that so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's a real shame imo - I'd like to know what the traffic plans were if they were objected to, I would have thought that to be key, given the location and large amounts of traffic around that area.

That's a pity.

I'd imagine the main problem with the development is the access from Port Lane.

Elysian management said they wouldn't allow people to access the office block from their land. The way the building is currently designed I reckon BAM had no option but to withdraw the application.

Hopefully they do a redesign that allows access from Albert Quay as oppose to the Elysian owned Port Lane.

That's a pity.

Elysian management said they wouldn't allow people to access the office block from their land. The way the building is currently designed I reckon BAM had no option but to withdraw the application.

Hopefully they do a redesign that allows access from Albert Quay as oppose to the Elysian owned Port Lane.
    Even if they manage a redesign - it's back to square one for them which is very disappointing

Hopefully we'll see some development of this area coming down the pipeline in the coming weeks/months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its such a shame that people cant work towards a better looking city for Cork, and its people, instead of for personal agendas. Such is life I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That's a pity.

So the city's laneways and streets now are becoming private property.What a fcukin joke?.How did this come about?

Its a wonder that they are letting people walk down Port lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

zetalambda wrote: »

An ugly design, inappropriate to its surroundings, with a dodgy business case gone. Good news.

An ugly design, inappropriate to its surroundings, with a dodgy business case gone. Good news.
    I'm sure there were buildings in London, NYC, Dublin etc. that were at one stage deemed 'inappropriate to its surroundings' so I don't really see that as a valid argument tbh

What would be better for the development of the Albert Quay in your view? That area has alot of potential in fairness

It's next to the Elysian. Hardly out of place.

As for the business case: the same developer has filled Mahon with some excellent companies - EMC and Dell spring to mind. Wouldn't the city be a much better place if them jobs were located on Albert Quay ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's next to the Elysian. Hardly out of place.

As for the business case: the same developer has filled Mahon with some excellent companies - EMC and Dell spring to mind. Wouldn't the city be a much better place if them jobs were located on Albert Quay ?

It's on the quay. Just because there's an eyesore further in is no excuse.

No. Moving companies from one empty block to another isn't going to revitalise the city.

Advertisement