Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I know what cosplay is :D. You have asthma?

I do, it's really bad and so annoying. I try my best to play some football and that but I still end up all wheezy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I do, it's really bad and so annoying. I try my best to play some football and that but I still end up all wheezy :P

That sucks. Being a energetic person myself, I would hate to have asthma.

Was walking around with Italian students for the day.

Also, found out today that I'm definitely using a Tablet next year.

My back is saved!

Had another day with the Italian students today and the final day tomorrow, ah they're some bunch.

We were playing football and my god I am alright at it and think it's a great sport but they are beyond good :P

Ireland vs Italy... Didn't pan out too well for us :rolleyes: Although I managed to score 2 goals :)

Had another day with the Italian students today and the final day tomorrow, ah they're some bunch.

We were playing football and my god I am alright at it and think it's a great sport but they are beyond good :P

Ireland vs Italy... Didn't pan out too well for us :rolleyes: Although I managed to score 2 goals :)
    Up the dubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Hey guys,
    Quick question :) Contacting a few pharma companies re work experience, but as I expected, no contact emails to be found! Do you think it would be more appropriate to contact a few HR people directly on LinkedIn(slightly stalkery?), or to send the company a letter ( and run the risk of it getting lost on a desk somewhere)?
    Cheers

pvakelly wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Quick question :) Contacting a few pharma companies re work experience, but as I expected, no contact emails to be found! Do you think it would be more appropriate to contact a few HR people directly on LinkedIn(slightly stalkery?), or to send the company a letter ( and run the risk of it getting lost on a desk somewhere)?
    Cheers

LinkedIn is created so you would have contacts with organisations. Contacting people for simple things like work experience doesn't seem a bad thing. I have a friend who worked in a Pharmacy for wk in Dublin City.

I'm just finishing up a week in a pharma company and really enjoyed it, but didn't get as much time as I would have liked in the lab ( I was based in finance ) . The brief time I had there was fantastic so I want to do another WE in a company, where I'll be in the lab more :)

pvakelly wrote: »
    I'm just finishing up a week in a pharma company and really enjoyed it, but didn't get as much time as I would have liked in the lab ( I was based in finance ) . The brief time I had there was fantastic so I want to do another WE in a company, where I'll be in the lab more :)

You could try the labs at the universities.

Good idea , it never crossed my mind :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

You could try the labs at the universities.

From what I've heard, second level students cannot go into labs in universities..? They can only sit in lectures..

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    From what I've heard, second level students cannot go into labs in universities..? They can only sit in lectures..

I think it really depends on the lab. When I did the Trinity Biochemistry and Immunology programme, I spent most of my time at the lab observing and helping around.

I also emailed the lab of genetics at trinity many months ago for work experience. They said they would take me in the lab, but they were full because other students also applied.

Wouldn't hurt to ask around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

Hey just heard news that I got a job as a kitchen porter in a local restaurant! The place is very very busy so trust me there will be plenty of work! Im wondering has anyone worked the job of Kitchen Porter before? Any advice or tips? I have no experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

To be honest, nearing the end of my TY year and it's not as good as it was described, work experience, driving lessons, law day and ECDL were the only things that I actually enjoyed. The promise of no homework was nonsense, I've got a 30 page French project to finish up for Thursday.

Well my TY has been, interesting to say the least.
    There is basically no work done which at times I like but a lot of the time it can be a pain.
    The other day our Heritage teacher set us a project (We don't get homework just projects) and everyone started laughing!
    The general consensus seems to be that projects are optional!
    The teachers are actually having a staff meeting tomorrow over it.
    I just finished my Law Project there now and I've sent it.
    Looking forward to Shave Or Dye and PaintBall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Does anyone have any advice on work experience places in the field of game development/IT/Computing.
    Do they expect you to have some knowledge of the skill required at these workplaces or is it fine to go as a complete beginner who has no idea what they do but just wants to check it out and learn

Does anyone have any advice on work experience places in the field of game development/IT/Computing.
    Do they expect you to have some knowledge of the skill required at these workplaces or is it fine to go as a complete beginner who has no idea what they do but just wants to check it out and learn

You won't find many game development studios in Ireland unless you love apps. I did a week at IBM back in Janurary and they first start off by just sort of finding out how much you know, now I had built computers before and understood a lot about servers but if I was a complete beginner then they wouldn't have cared as they seemed very willing to teach anyone anything. You'll find it hard to get into there though, I have a cousin there so that helped me get in.

You'll find a lot of places honestly won't let people in, I emailed 15-20 companies in the IT industry, most said no, some didn't reply back and IBM was the only one to ask for more info about what week I wanted to get in and stuff.

Just came back from a three day expedition on the Wicklow mountains! The highlight of my ty year so far.

Please appreciate what you have at home... Trust me, it's hard up there, especially when you get to the point when you have to ration food and water and your sleeping bag is slipping downwards a slope..

Just came back from a three day expedition on the Wicklow mountains! The highlight of my ty year so far.

Please appreciate what you have at home... Trust me, it's hard up there, especially when you get to the point when you have to ration food and water and your sleeping bag is slipping downwards a slope..

Wow, that must have been so cool. What school do you go to that does that??? (you can pm if u don't want to say it on thread) :)

Has anyone heard of the Leinster Driving Campus for Transition Year students. Apparently they allow transition year students to get a few driving lessons( 5 i think) on their own special roads/course, without having your theory test done or have your learner's permit. Sounds pretty cool. Has anyone done it??? And is it something you can apply for independently or can you only do it through your school as like a field trip activity??? :)

• Advertisement

Wow, that must have been so cool. What school do you go to that does that??? (you can pm if u don't want to say it on thread) :)

I'm not allowed to name schools anyway, I believe it's against the Charter if I'm not mistaken ^^.

I'm not allowed to name schools anyway, I believe it's against the Charter if I'm not mistaken ^^.

oops, sorry then. hope you had fun and made an unforgettable experience. :D

Anyone know anything about Leinster Driving Campus for transition year students????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Our English texts have been released :eek:

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0021_2014.pdf

Looks like we'll be doing King Lear :o Haven't heard much about it? I don't think it comes up very often :o

The movies for the comparative seem alright though! I love Juno and the Artist! :) And I've heard of a good few of the books! Does anyone know how teacher's just which texts/movie to do for the comparative?

What's everyone's thoughts? :D

Just back in the door from seeing the play Sive in the Abbey. Have to say it was great, very enjoyable. One of the actors I locked eye contact with and made him smile, didn't work with the rest! :pac:

No school tomorrow either so happy days!

Just back in the door from seeing the play Sive in the Abbey. Have to say it was great, very enjoyable. One of the actors I locked eye contact with and made him smile, didn't work with the rest! :pac:

No school tomorrow either so happy days!

No school for me aswell, dentist appointment :D

Supposed to have work experience this week so could only get it for next week so swapping it around. Honestly this is the best part of TY so far, no revision to do over a break, a chance to watch house of cards, read a few books and just relax for once. That's what I signed up for.

Going to be getting straight into being one of the two editors for the school magazine, going to be the first year its goes exclusively online so should be fun!

TY trip to Barcelona tonight<3

I really can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    TY trip to Barcelona tonight<3

I really can't wait :D

That's awesome! Our TY trip will be to Barcelona too! Roll on the 27th :D

• Advertisement

We had an amazing time! :D

Barcelona is so beautiful and we stayed in Salou which has an amazing beach :P And a cute little Irish pub if your teachers are willing to let ye in there :pac:

Port Aventura is great as well, but the waiting times for the rides are crazy :eek:

Advertisement