Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Some governments should just be bombed and be done with them once and for all.

What an evil, evil group of monsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

maybe he should have stayed at "home" in ireland and none of this would have happened

I wonder why he went to egypt in the first place

I googled his fathers name he seems to have some interesting friends

whirlpool wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing Christ.

Some governments should just be bombed and be done with them once and for all.

What an evil, evil group of monsters.

do you mean the military govenment, yeah they could be called monsters but as bad as they are the islamists are far worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

They flew over and looked for trouble. No sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They went over and got involved in the protests over there, why didn't they just stay out of it and nothing would have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

As usual, there's more to this story than we're being told. Why do police never actually catch people involved in riots? Isn't it unfortunate that they only ever manage to arrest/assault innocent bystanders who were just minding their own business?
    I have no sympathy for people who go to these countries, and break the law, then complain when they get sent to prison. If you don't like a foreign country's laws, don't go, the laws if not widely known are easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A typically well thought out and well researched article from the Indo I see.:rolleyes: He and his sisters went over to take part in violent demonstrations and marches which has been conveniently omitted from the story. But hey, since when had the truth ever gotten in the way of a good story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Why did they go to Egypt in the first place? They then just happened to be in the wrong place?

Bit strange really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I wonder if they found the snackbar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

nokia69 wrote: »
    I googled his fathers name he seems to have some interesting friends

Interesting indeed.

His father is Hussein Halawa, imam of Clonskeagh mosque.

He has close ties with Yusuf al-Qaradawi which is worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

When a riot breaks out the police don't look to arrest just anybody involved, they target individuals or an individual group of "ring leaders". Thats all ill say..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

He is an Irish citizen and was only 17 when arrested. I'd have expected this country to be going all out to get him back regardless of the rights and wrongs of what he was involved in. Get him back first, ask questions later. If you can't rely on your own country when the **** hits the fan it's a poor look out. He wasn't arrested with a kilo of heroine at the airport. What they were allegedly mixed up in was poor judgement but most people with dual heritage would understand the desire to make some show of support.

ETA: One page in on this thread and a jury of his peers have already found him guilty based on on newspaper reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

FYI the Irish foreign affairs office has had a 'no fly advice' for all parts of Egypt except Sharm for months now and recently (3-4 weeks ago) upgraded the status to ALL of Egypt incl Sharm el shiek ... Resulting in the cancelation of my holiday (booo!), but anyway they've been advising against all non essential travel for ages nownd if you did out against their advise then your on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

He is an Irish citizen and was only 17 when arrested. I'd have expected this country to be going all out to get him back regardless of the rights and wrongs.

Maybe Ireland don't want him back and if they ignore the plight of this citizen, then the problem might just go away.

He is an Irish citizen and was only 17 when arrested. I'd have expected this country to be going all out to get him back regardless of the rights and wrongs of what he was involved in. Get him back first, ask questions later. If you can't rely on your own country when the **** hits the fan it's a poor look out. He wasn't arrested with a kilo of heroine at the airport. What they were allegedly mixed up in was poor judgement but most people with dual heritage would understand the desire to make some show of support.

ETA: One page in on this thread and a jury of his peers have already found him guilty based on on newspaper reports.

but he was making a show of support for the muslim brotherhood

thats far worse than importing drugs

he only wants to be irish when it suits him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

thats the type of thing islamists get up to in egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

Apparently they went over on holidays.
    Why didn't they go to Magaluff like normal teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

old_aussie wrote: »
    Maybe Ireland don't want him back and if they ignore the plight of this citizen, then the problem might just go away.

The old sweep it under the carpet strategy. It's worked so well for successive governments in this country that it's become the bed rock of any political party's policy.
    nokia69 wrote: »
    but he was making a show of support for the muslim brotherhood

thats far worse than importing drugs

he only wants to be irish when it suits him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

thats the type of thing islamists get up to in egypt

Islamists? One big umbrella term for millions of people with differing attitudes to Islam. How do you know how he feels about being Irish?

Islamists? One big umbrella term for millions of people with differing attitudes to Islam. How do you know how he feels about being Irish?

not all muslims are islamists but the muslim brotherhood most certainly are

since he was at a march in support of the muslim brotherhood, this would suggest the he himself is an islamist, if thats the case then I hope he never returns to Ireland

I don't care how he feels about Ireland or about being "Irish"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

The old sweep it under the carpet strategy. It's worked so well for successive governments in this country that it's become the bed rock of any political party's policy.

He flew over there to take part in the Muslim Brotherhoods "Day of Rage" which led to over 170 deaths including beheadings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

OlaChica wrote: »
    The full article is here http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-teen-locked-up-in-egypt-jail-fears-execution-30158991.html

How is that not all over the news? And why is our government doing so little to help? I know we are a tiny country but surely there is SOMETHING that we could do to persaude Egypt to release this poor young man.

Poor young man? He was in a foreign country supporting Al Qaeda linked extremists. His father seems a highly questionable character to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I heard he was wearing a Dublin jersey and waving a hurley in the air and he got arrested. Obviously not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

OlaChica wrote: »
    The full article is here http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-teen-locked-up-in-egypt-jail-fears-execution-30158991.html

How is that not all over the news? And why is our government doing so little to help? I know we are a tiny country but surely there is SOMETHING that we could do to persaude Egypt to release this poor young man. Even a boycott on tourism or something similar.

Absolutely disgraceful and my heart goes out to this poor young lad.

It was all over the news last year until the sisters got released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Suits me fine if he never returns to Ireland. We've had enough ****e in this country without inviting more grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I heard he was wearing a Dublin jersey and waving a hurley in the air and he got arrested. Obviously not the case.

surely it was a Celtic jersey. I always thought it was mandatory to wear a "hoops" jersey if your male, 16-35 years old and on holiday abroad to clearly indicate and Identify yourself as Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

How many of us know of sons or daughters of Irish immigrants coming from England for the summer holidays in the 60's 70's in the height of the troubles..... when you put it into that perspective it is not fierce unrealistic to be going on a summer holiday there.

All the same why were they in the vicinity of a march supporting such a organisation. That to me is where it is interesting, that to me is what should be highlighted, was it interest childish bravery slash stupidity or a genuine support for this wrong oppressive organisation. Some fine reporters have been killed in demonstrations over the years that I'm sure they had no passion for but genuine intrigue brought them there. At 17 I have to say I was wet around the ears...

His name is being stained by his fathers associates and he is getting tarred with the one brush. There is a fella that cuts grass for my auld lad jeez he is some bol*x I would be sickened if I was associated with him.

The long and the short of it is that if we are to have integration we have to start thinking of other Irish nationals kids just as we would our own, how many of us were on the fence with young Melissa Mc Collum Connolly and that is why i'm going to say i'm firmly on the fence on this.

I hope he never gets back to Ireland if he is a member of the Islamist brotherhood or and similar organisation with oppressive aims. On the other hand if he was a innocent but stupid youngster caught in the wrong place at the wrong time I do have pity for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

529 people sentenced to death for rioting? What the hell sort of a mad house is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He flew over there to take part in the Muslim Brotherhoods "Day of Rage" which led to over 170 deaths including beheadings.

Sounds like a peaceful protest, sticking flowers in soldiers' guns and all that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

old_aussie wrote: »
    I wonder if they found the snackbar

Would that be Alan's Snackbar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It's a disgrace Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hiding behind the flag of a western Christian country when things go t1ts up:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement