Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviving the youghal railway line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    looking at it now looks like it wouldn't be wise to attempt to go near it or it would collapse,is your second picture taken on part of the old track?

Taken from where the level crossing would have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

mordeith wrote: »
    Taken from where the level crossing would have been
    ah yes I know it now,there's a house there with buses in the yard!

ah yes I know it now,there's a house there with buses in the yard!

Spot on

Spot on
    visited that spot in killeagh today,got 3 photos of more or less the same ones you took,but I didn't attempt to go near the station itself,half afraid I would be asked "politely" to leave

visited that spot in killeagh today,got 3 photos of more or less the same ones you took,but I didn't attempt to go near the station itself,half afraid I would be asked "politely" to leave

Yeah I know what you mean. I'll try and get some closer ones on Sat / Sun.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know what you mean. I'll try and get some closer ones on Sat / Sun.

Good stuff,look forward to that,i'll try and get a few of youghal station over the weekend too!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

These were taken in August 2003. It's probably more dilapidated looking now:

cac362c11240749888d4cf4ce5ea51f974b0503c.jpg

5e426c71ea7ba8b1ca0e275614e3bb8e88238cc2.jpg

That's Youghal BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

It might actually be in the same condition, oddly, because there was a new roof put on it since then. Looks a bit strange though. And it's all fenced off now - there used to be a shortcut to the beach from Tides restaurant across the railway line, but the green fencing means you can't go across there anymore.

It might actually be in the same condition, oddly, because there was a new roof put on it since then. Looks a bit strange though. And it's all fenced off now - there used to be a shortcut to the beach from Tides restaurant across the railway line, but the green fencing means you can't go across there anymore.

Tides??jaysus the last time i walked across that part of the line it was called the cosy cafe!must be near enough to 20 years,definately 1996 or before,that much i remember,is the track still on that part?

• Advertisement

Tides is closed about 4 years now too. Tracks are still there yeah, probably not in good condition though. Think it was fenced off maybe 5 years or so ago, can't remember exactly.

Okay, so I took some of the signal house from the outside and the gap in the wall. I didn't take any of the rear of the station as there is a lot of rubble around the place and I couldn't get a decent shot. I mght try again later from further in.

Lower section of signal house (bit out of focus)
    299799.jpg

Upper section
    299800.jpg

299801.jpg

Outside

299803.jpg

299804.jpg

Tides is closed about 4 years now too. Tracks are still there yeah, probably not in good condition though. Think it was fenced off maybe 5 years or so ago, can't remember exactly.

Didnt realise tides was closed,is there no way of getting onto the old track now dp you know?the station is looking better since is was reroofed,is there a court order to maintain it?

I think it's fenced off from both sides...might take a look when I'm home next weekend. Not sure about the preservation thing either - as far as I remember it was vandalised a few years back, and then reroofed and fenced off. Could have been a preservation order, or maybe it was insured and they took advantage of that to stick a new roof on it. Does look strange though with the new roof on the crumbling building.

Okay, so I took some of the signal house from the outside and the gap in the wall. I didn't take any of the rear of the station as there is a lot of rubble around the place and I couldn't get a decent shot. I mght try again later from further in.

Lower section of signal house (bit out of focus)
    299799.jpg

Upper section
    299800.jpg

299801.jpg

Outside

299803.jpg

299804.jpg

I couldn't really get near it myself to get the pics of the inside,fair play though,surprised it doesn't look as bad as the outside.its fairly hazardous in that part where the signal box is located.

I think it's fenced off from both sides...might take a look when I'm home next weekend. Not sure about the preservation thing either - as far as I remember it was vandalised a few years back, and then reroofed and fenced off. Could have been a preservation order, or maybe it was insured and they took advantage of that to stick a new roof on it. Does look strange though with the new roof on the crumbling building.
    ithink that debate was discussed earlier in the thread about it being preserved!i'm surprised (and glad) that vandals didn't tear down the fencing to get at the station,as we all know,places of abandonment have an attraction to vandals.

Interesting pictures. I took some pictures there about 30 years ago on B&W infra-red film. I'll try to find the negatives and scan them tomorrow.

reic wrote: »
    Interesting pictures. I took some pictures there about 30 years ago on B&W infra-red film. I'll try to find the negatives and scan them tomorrow.
    do you or anyone else know what happened the turning board???is it still at the station overgrown???is it pics of the youghal station you have OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Oh I hope you find them, brilliant. :)

do you or anyone else know what happened the turning board???is it still at the station overgrown???is it pics of the youghal station you have OP?

It's the Killeagh station and I remember taking some pictures on the "bog" road, on the Cork road out of Youghal, on the way to Ballymacoda. A few hundred yards down the road, on the right there was a small building with a signal pole. It's long gone now.

• Advertisement

It's the Killeagh station and I remember taking some pictures on the "bog" road, on the Cork road out of Youghal, on the way to Ballymacoda. A few hundred yards down the road, on the right there was a small building with a signal pole. It's long gone now.
    I know the road well,the track was uplifted down that way I believe,it shows up on a sat nav but to look at its just an ordinary field.

These were taken in summer 1991. The Carrigtwohill station I think:

10616a1c7d8dcde359a4845224cad1ccc7d5ea0d.jpg

Killeagh in infra-red B&W:

4ce269d1da7a0840c39e5c587cdfd722cebe4a7f.jpg

8c526b115e749802c47e7150a7223fc8021a2325.jpg

And on the bog road outside Youghal there was a small station at a level crossing where the train crossed the road. It was probably manned rather than automatic in it's day:

5b326f712176981cca6e5959827267c69492fb9b.jpg

These were taken in summer 1991. The Carrigtwohill station I think:

10616a1c7d8dcde359a4845224cad1ccc7d5ea0d.jpg

Killeagh in infra-red B&W:

4ce269d1da7a0840c39e5c587cdfd722cebe4a7f.jpg

8c526b115e749802c47e7150a7223fc8021a2325.jpg

And on the bog road outside Youghal there was a small station at a level crossing where the train crossed the road. It was probably manned rather than automatic in it's day:

5b326f712176981cca6e5959827267c69492fb9b.jpg
    if that was carrigtwohill then,look at it now,the same can be done from midleton to youghal hopefully :) OP fantastic pictures especially in black and white,anyone else have any old photos of this line???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

if that was carrigtwohill then,look at it now,the same can be done from midleton to youghal hopefully :) OP fantastic pictures especially in black and white,anyone else have any old photos of this line???

They are fantastic pictures. Thanks for posting.

Re-opening the line from Midleton to Youghal would be a great opportunity to kick start the re-generation of Youghal.

Re-opening the line from Midleton to Youghal would be a great opportunity to kick start the re-generation of Youghal.
    the sooner it happens the better IMO,if they want people to get out of cars and onto public transport this is one way of doing it,any statistics available since the midleton station reopened,of its usage???if the ine reopened to youghal to coincide with the summer even it would be a success if say the summers were like that of 2013,lloads more photos of this line on flickr!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Youghal is a great place with stacks of potential but if you really think the railway is coming back anytime soon (or would bring much with it ) then your seriously deluded, iranrod eireann is bust...the government is bust and the economic benefits of reinstating the line are seriously questionable ...
    If you've got energy to spend don't waste it on a daft project ...there's lots youghal has, use that ,rather than bleat over a long departed ,defunct railway...
    Maybe if youghal improves,and cork city expands at a phenomenal rate it'd be worth re-examining around 2040/2050...... maybe

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Youghal is a great place with stacks of potential but if you really think the railway is coming back anytime soon (or would bring much with it ) then your seriously deluded, iranrod eireann is bust...the government is bust and the economic benefits of reinstating the line are seriously questionable ...
    If you've got energy to spend don't waste it on a daft project ...there's lots youghal has, use that ,rather than bleat over a long departed ,defunct railway...
    Maybe if youghal improves,and cork city expands at a phenomenal rate it'd be worth re-examining around 2040/2050...... maybe
    If the midleton line made a comeback then who knows,cork county council have the line preserved,so they must have some plan for it?

I was in Youghal today and popped by the old station,to say it in fenced in is putting it politely!the place is like fort bloody knox :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

If the midleton line made a comeback then who knows,cork county council have the line preserved,so they must have some plan for it?

Seriously unlikely, in it's heyday, Youghal was served for the industrial cargo. Passengers were never commercially viable, but were a boost for the Summer Service.

Midleton is like Carrigaline is to Cork, a dormitory town to Cork. With nothing in Cobh anymore, expect to see that line close down.

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Seriously unlikely, in it's heyday, Youghal was served for the industrial cargo. Passengers were never commercially viable, but were a boost for the Summer Service.

Midleton is like Carrigaline is to Cork, a dormitory town to Cork. With nothing in Cobh anymore, expect to see that line close down.
    Valid point you have,but the Cobh line if it goes at all it would be put back into service for the summer months I would imagine,due to the tourist season.but I.E have said they plan to open or reopen stations in cork in the future,when only god knows,dunkettle and monard are 2 off hand I can think of.if the youghal route were to never make a return(although I hope it will) then it is purely for financial reasons I.E wont seek a closure order of the line because they would have to maintain it for 10 years,where as now its costing them nothing apart from the work done to the statin in youghal,

Advertisement