Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviving the youghal railway line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

just the one for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

deRanged wrote: »
    just the one for now.

I assume the track isn't there anymore?looks like it's gone.must take a trip down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Mogeely:

57c161147e8ccbef552f6309d82208d7f93736a5.jpg

reic wrote: »
    Mogeely:

57c161147e8ccbef552f6309d82208d7f93736a5.jpg

Was down there last week actually taking photos myself,can't remember the flower bed though,is this also a recent photo OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I assume the track isn't there anymore?looks like it's gone.must take a trip down there.

The track is still there, blazed a trail from Midleton to first LC with some difficulty, there were signs the 'lucht siuil' had helped themselves to the copper in the telegraph wires.

• Advertisement

The track is still there, blazed a trail from Midleton to first LC with some difficulty, there were signs the 'lucht siuil' had helped themselves to the copper in the telegraph wires.

Copper??feck sake,nothing new,does anyone know where the start/end points are for the track that was removed???it was roughly half the track between midleton and youghal but anytime i tried to take a look down from the 2 bridges in killeagh all i can see is vegetation which after 25 years is understandable,tried reading the county development plan yesterday,there may be plans for the line yet from the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Why did they remove only half the track , not that the other half is good for anything 25 years on (might be easier to clear without the track )
    What stations are along the line ? Mogeely , killeagh ? And youghal ,
    Wouldn't be a massive population along the line really ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Was down there last week actually taking photos myself,can't remember the flower bed though,is this also a recent photo OP?

Taken last August on a week's road trip along the SE coast.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Why did they remove only half the track , not that the other half is good for anything 25 years on (might be easier to clear without the track )

7 miles of it was removed and sent to sligo,yeah those 3 stations,well midleton was reopened after being closed for decades also,so hopefully they continue on with the rest of it.

Taken last August on a week's road trip along the SE coast.

Did you get any photos of killeagh station?impossible to get good ones of it,there's a car against one side of it and roof slates against the other side

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »

If the whole lot were taken up, expect CIE would get earache from local politicians egged on by concerned locals, would seem like closing the door on any future re-opening. Also it's prob more trouble and expense than it's worth to take up second hand panels and relay them.

Did you get any photos of killeagh station?impossible to get good ones of it,there's a car against one side of it and roof slates against the other side

I never know whether Killeagh station is on private or public property? It seem to be an entrance to a house.

I never know whether Killeagh station is on private or public property? It seem to be an entrance to a house.

The station house (dwelling) was probably left to the stationmaster's family, and relieved CIE of the responsibliity of maintaining it. The trackbed, cabin, platforms, shelter/booking office and old goods area would all be CIE's. If it were to be reopened, CIE would put an alternative entrance in to maintain their privacy.

there is a seperate entrance to the the house (railway lodge) its one drive way that breaks into 2.the station itself is still owned by I.E therefore its in State/Public ownership one would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

That is the front of the station but the part with the platform can be accessed from another entrance. If I get a chance I'll take a few pics this evening.

EDIT: Killeagh I'm talking about here

mordeith wrote: »
    That is the front of the station but the part with the platform can be accessed from another entrance. If I get a chance I'll take a few pics this evening.

EDIT: Killeagh I'm talking about here
    hopefully you have more success than I did,as I mentions in a previous post,there's a car against one side of it and a load of roof slates against another part,the only way to get a shot of it in including the car and slates,the car hasn't moved in quite a while as I have been down that way alot in general,is the youghal station still accessible???

,is the youghal station still accessible???

There's that spiked, green metal railings around it now so if you're agile enough you can get in. All windows are boarded up though.

There's that spiked, green metal railings around it now so if you're agile enough you can get in. All windows are boarded up though.

Will have to take photo's through the railings so,havent gone through the town in about 5 years

I'd love to know where the other entrance to the Killeagh station is. Is it on the road to Ballymacoda?

It's possible to access the Youghal station but as far as I know it's not allowed. Last time I was in there (2 years ago) I followed the railing towards the end, in the direction of the beach.

I'd love to know where the other entrance to the Killeagh station is. Is it on the road to Ballymacoda?

Yesh, just around the bend on the right.You can see the signal house on the roadside and the gate is just beyond that. You can walk right in as the gate has fallen over. The place is fairly over grown but you still make out the platform and stuff. I've never gone to have a proper look at the station house from that side as the area merges into the back garden of the owner's of the railway house.

• Advertisement

Yesh, just around the bend on the right.You can see the signal house on the roadside and the gate is just beyond that. You can walk right in as the gate has fallen over. The place is fairly over grown but you still make out the platform and stuff. I've never gone to have a proper look at the station house from that side as the area merges into the back garden of the owner's of the railway house.

I only knew of the one entrance,didnt realise/see the second.

As for the station itself,that driveway breaks into 2,1 for railway lodge,the other for the station itself.

i would assume as its publicly owned,would there not be a right of way on it?i dont exactly want to go and have a look only to be told that i am on private property.

I doubt that is the case,however can anyone with better knowledge answer this?

I only knew of the one entrance,didnt realise/see the second.

As for the station itself,that driveway breaks into 2,1 for railway lodge,the other for the station itself.

i would assume as its publicly owned,would there not be a right of way on it?i dont exactly want to go and have a look only to be told that i am on private property.

I doubt that is the case,however can anyone with better knowledge answer this?

It is in fact private property. The former station master still lives there and purchased the house and surrounding land from CIE. I'm not sure what the actual boundaries are though and whether or not the rear section with the lines was purchased as well.

It is in fact private property. The former station master still lives there and purchased the house and surrounding land from CIE. I'm not sure what the actual boundaries are though and whether or not the rear section with the lines was purchased as well.
    so the actual station is privately owned??? :confused:

so the actual station is privately owned??? :confused:

I took two quick pics on the way home for dinner. The light was terrible and I just had my phone. I didn't go in as I was in a rush to get to my dinner :)

299351.jpg

299352.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Jesus, I wondered what that building was, had no idea it was the bloody station!

I took two quick pics on the way home for dinner. The light was terrible and I just had my phone. I didn't go in as I was in a rush to get to my dinner :)

299351.jpg

299352.jpg

Is that first picture on the ballymacoda road by woodview estate???it looks derelict,bloody hell!

Is that first picture on the ballymacoda road by woodview estate???it looks derelict,bloody hell!

Both pics are the same place i.e. where you say above. The first image is the signal house. You see still see all the levers (not sure of correct terminiology here) through a gap in the wall. I'll get some better pics over the weekend and post em up.

Both pics are the same place i.e. where you say above. The first image is the signal house. You see still see all the levers (not sure of correct terminiology here) through a gap in the wall. I'll get some better pics over the weekend and post em up.

I'll have to look out for that,its the one thing i have never actually spotted.can you access the inside of that signal box or is the interior also overgrown?

I'll have to look out for that,its the one thing i have never actually spotted.can you access the inside of that signal box or is the interior also overgrown?

I'm pretty sure you can't get in, the 'peep hole' is fairly small as far as I recall. It's a two-storey job. You can see the underneath of the floor from the gap, so I guess they changed the points from the upper floor and what I'm actually looking at are the workings beneath.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure you can't get in, the 'peep hole' is fairly small as far as I recall. It's a two-storey job. You can see the underneath of the floor from the gap, so I guess they changed the points from the upper floor and what I'm actually looking at are the workings beneath.
    looking at it now looks like it wouldn't be wise to attempt to go near it or it would collapse,is your second picture taken on part of the old track?

Advertisement