Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Week 1 Day 2 - here is your ass, consider it handed to you. It wasn't nice though, bits of me hurt from the first day (I have taken no exercise bar walking to work and to get food for at least 2 months). I have already developed a Hate list

- Running up any sort of an incline
    - Running into the wind
    - Running up an incline and into wind
    - Faster people running by me
    - My glasses fogging up
    - People walking nearby eating chips or chocolate
    - People I can see through their windows on the couch
    - People who have their curtain closed so I can't ignore the pains in my legs and lungs by staring at their décor

It's all worth it though for the 15 minutes after when I feel like I've had a large glass of wine, that sort of bubbly, playing air guitar to the extreme cheese that's playing you home sort of a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Done! I felt much less fit today but I think having done a day in work and eaten a jacket potato relatively close to exercise was what made the difference, as opposed to going early on a day off last time. I was so tempted not to go to the gym this evening but actually got myself off the couch and out of my PJs at 8.30pm and went. Still can't actually believe I had the motivation. I can see how it might become a bit addictive!

Week 1 Day 3! Done! Genuinely the longest I've ever stuck this out. Really nice running in the rain.

Think will do a week 1 day again on Friday because I'm still finding it tough, I'm barely able to finish the last 60 seconds. Week 2 can start on Monday because I'm hiking on Sunday, weather permitting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Oooh yeay! I can play this game too!

I'm doing c25k too!

I'm on week 2. Tomorrow is week 2 day 2. The 1.5 minute run is grand, and I'm "recovered" after about 60 seconds on the walk. There's (I think) 4 of them, and then 2 x 1 minute run/1 minute walk.

I'm doing it on a treadmill in the gym so I'm able to control the speed.

For my "walk" I'm at 5.5, and for the "run" I'm at 7. Average speed of ~10 km/hr.

I'm getting fairly bored though :( I will continue though - I want to eventually build up to a triathalon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Week 1 Day 3! Done! Genuinely the longest I've ever stuck this out. Really nice running in the rain.

Think will do a week 1 day again on Friday because I'm still finding it tough, I'm barely able to finish the last 60 seconds. Week 2 can start on Monday because I'm hiking on Sunday, weather permitting.
    Stick with it - I did w1d2 twice too. Unless you have a specific deadline of wanting to run 5 k within 8 weeks, it's okay for it to take 8/10/12 weeks. Work at your own pace.

• Advertisement

And can I just say that combined with some other cardio work (in my case swimming and light bike work) the lung burn is not a problem in the run! My issue is actually my legs! My legs are tired! So if anyone has any tips on how to work on fatigued legs please let me know. Is it a case that I need to do leg weights / squats to build up the muscles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

sullivlo wrote: »
    My issue is actually my legs! My legs are tired! So if anyone has any tips on how to work on fatigued legs please let me know. Is it a case that I need to do leg weights / squats to build up the muscles?

Are you stretching before and after your run? If you are running 3-4 times a week then the running alone will build up your legs as you get fitter.

Also be sure that you are not landing on your heel as you run

Yeah I'm stretching ankle, calves, quads, hamstrings, achillies. I've a dodgy ankle so I've a brace on that (tore ligaments playing rugby). And it's only one of my legs that gets really overly tired - the one with the dodgy ankle.

Have fallen off the wagon slightly...already! Forgot to bring my gym stuff in the car on the way to work yest, and going back home when it was dark and rainy in the evening meant I was guaranteed not to want to go back out. I could have done it today and still been on track but had a horror of a day in work, came home via Burger King and fell asleep on the sofa till now. Oh well, bag is packed and I am going tomorrow on the way home from work, no excuses. I've told you all now so I have to do it!

W2D2 today and I jinxed myself yesterday as had lung burn today!

Rest day tomorrow and back to it Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hi there - newbie here. I've signed up for the Irish Times Get Running course and got my first week's instructions today.
    Years ago, I did C25K (which was superb) and back then, I simply used a wristwatch to time my 'running' vs 'walking' bits.
    Could you recommend a good app that will emit an alarm every minute? Something I can tailor as the programme goes on?

Week 1, Day 1 revisited. Had to boot myself out the door, my brain wasn't feeling the 'Let us go and exercise!' buzz!! Also it hurt lots and was hard. Think it's because yesterday I went on a 16km hangover walk that nearly floored me. Hopefully at the end of this week I'll be better able to hack the 60 second runs and can move on to week 2. Still feeling like I could fly afterwards, it's such a nice feeling.

Week 1 Day 3 done, only 8 days after I started the programme:o Could do better, however it's ages since I've stuck with anything fitness wise so finishing off week 1 feels great. Will try for week 2, day one on Wed/Thurs. It has to be one of those days, I'll let myself have that bit of flexibility but if I don't do it on Wed then I will accept no excuses on Thurs!

Hi there - newbie here. I've signed up for the Irish Times Get Running course and got my first week's instructions today.
    Years ago, I did C25K (which was superb) and back then, I simply used a wristwatch to time my 'running' vs 'walking' bits.
    Could you recommend a good app that will emit an alarm every minute? Something I can tailor as the programme goes on?

The couch to 5k app will tell you to run or walk.

I did week 3 day one yesterday. The 2.5 min run was okay for the first, tired for the second and needed oxygen for the third!! I was so sweaty after it but Christ it felt good walking out of the gym.

I did week 2 day 1, I did weeeeeek 2 day onnnnnnnne :D I am *way* proud of myself for someone who got a stitch in their second 90 second run but proud of myself I am. This will sound mad to people who aren't permbulating bags of human flavoured jelly but I didn't think I could run for 90 seconds. <bounce>

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I did week 2 day 1, I did weeeeeek 2 day onnnnnnnne :D I am *way* proud of myself for someone who got a stitch in their second 90 second run but proud of myself I am. This will sound mad to people who aren't permbulating bags of human flavoured jelly but I didn't think I could run for 90 seconds. <bounce>

Congrats! I do remember when 90 seconds seemed daunting and it's a great feeling when it's done!
    I've finished couch to 5K and am now running 30 minutes straight comfortably. It's totally worth it! :)

Week 3 day 2 yesterday. Those 2.5 minute runs were easier this time! And dare I say it I am looking forward to a 3 minute run tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Great running everyone! I finished C25k last week and this week have moved on from 30 minutes to actually 5K. Tried one run on the treadmill in the gym and almost died of the heat, don't know how anyone does it!! So back to the roads I've gone, and have to say, it's very satisfying to run past queues of traffic on a dark evening :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

lemon you should try the parkrun to keep your motivation up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    lemon you should try the parkrun to keep your motivation up

I know, I know - waiting till I can do it a little faster I think, just to save my pride, and then I'll convince a friend to do it with me. I'm going to start working up to 10K next, that's plenty of motivation for now.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No need to be afraid of being slow at a Parkrun - back of the pack in the ones near me is generally around 40 minutes and there's generally quite a few people between 30 and 40 minutes for the 5k so you won't be alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I know, I know - waiting till I can do it a little faster I think, just to save my pride, and then I'll convince a friend to do it with me. I'm going to start working up to 10K next, that's plenty of motivation for now.

Look out for the Operation Transformation 5k - I think registration opens next week. I did it last year as my first 5k and had a blast. Decent goody bag afterwards too! (In the Dublin one).

I'd rather slam my hand in a car door tonight than run. So I've picked a running route that has somewhere to buy a bottle of wine at the end of it.

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

There's "Simple C25K" - it's brilliant. It'll beep when you need to change from running to walking. It's easy enough to do - although we struggled with week 3 :o. But if you keep at it, you will feel all the better for it. If you have someone to do it with it's easier - because even if you feel like giving up, you'll keep going if the person beside you is going (and they'll feel the same about you!)

I'm starting week 4 today. Didn't think I'd get through week 1, never mind make it this far. It's a tiny achievement to most but it's massive for me. Massive.

I'm going to register for a few 5k events - I don't know if I would be able to run them all but I could build up to it with running and walking.

I'm looking at the electric run. Looks unreal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well done everyone, you're doing great!!

Decided to do my c25k (w4d1) I'm the local park today. Never again! Want to really build up fitness before I venture out of the gym again!! I need to learn to pace myself I think.

On the upside, 4.0 km in 38 mins. Getting there, slowly but surely.

Maybe in a few weeks I will go back outdoors but for the time being, indoor running for me.

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

sullivlo wrote: »
    On the upside, 4.0 km in 38 mins. Getting there, slowly but surely.

My friend who is a bit of a seasoned runner used to tell me, Eamon Coughlan's advice is: As slow as you can, for as long as you can.

I used to jog slower than I walked! But I still managed to jog every step of the10k of the mini marathon last year ;)

There are really tough days, and days you'd rather wash your floors than go out! But if you manage to stick with it, it's a great achievement.

Fair play to everyone giving it a go.. "It doesn't matter how slow you are going, you are still lapping those who are sitting on the couch"!

• Advertisement

My friend who is a bit of a seasoned runner used to tell me, Eamon Coughlan's advice is: As slow as you can, for as long as you can.

That's my plan. My "jog" in the gym is speed 7.0 km/hr but I have done all of the "run" parts on the app. I just can't pace myself outdoors I guess!

I also think that as I lose weight I will increase speed. I'm carrying a huge amount of weight - that's gonna slow me.

Advertisement