Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin : FF no longer toxic brand

Options
  • 27-12-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

In an attempt to shore up internal support for himself , Martin has declared Fianna Fail to be detoxified

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/martin-ff-no-longer-a-toxic-brand-253622.html

Is he correct ? Is all forgiven ?

When I think of Fianna Fail the first things that come into my head are bankrupting of the economy, surrender of our soverignty, corruption, forgery, arrogance, dishonesty, money resting in accounts, telling lies under oath , etc etc.

Still looks toxic to me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

raymon wrote: »
    In an attempt to shore up internal support for himself , Martin has declared Fianna Fail to be detoxified

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/martin-ff-no-longer-a-toxic-brand-253622.html

When I think of Fianna Fail the first things that come into my head are bankrupting of the economy, surrender of our soverignty, corruption, forgery, arrogance, dishonesty, money resting in accounts, telling lies under oath , etc etc.

Still looks toxic to me

yet he was the one at the cabinet table from 1997-2011 making crazy decisions with bertie,biffo & crew???and he was also part of the government who brought the troika here???bring on the elections next may as i am a resident of the Cork City North West Ward,and his Cllr in this ward will get the ears burned off him by me,if the same guy is re-elected he is a certainty to be corks next fianna fail lord mayor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Irish politics is general is still toxic and I don't believe I'm being cynical in saying that.

I will vote for Fine Gael again, simply because there is no alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Irish politics is general is still toxic and I don't believe I'm being cynical in saying that.

not much understanding of/nor do i care about politics,but sinn fein???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

He's probably right but that says more about Irish politics than it does about him and ff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

To me they're still toxic, and will be for a couple of decades at the very least.

When the likes of O'Dea, Martin and essentially every backroom staffer who was in FF pre 2011 is gone then they might be detoxed, but that depends on their policies and how they implement them. Just looking locally at who they have lined up for the Local Elections in 2014 they haven't changed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

All Irish politics is toxic for sure as a previous poster has noted. The self serving corruption and risk taking that arose during the Ahern years was inevitable the way things were going.

Fianna Fail arguably did more to facilitate the marriage of politics to big business and borrowing/credit/lending culture but the same policies existed for years and were adopted by several parties.

As regards choice of who to vote for, there appears very little. The choices are:

1. Fianna Fail: dominated by big business and developer interests in the past, the party has marketed itself as going back to its roots as one on the side of the small farmer and small business. However, they have no intention ever to upset the current elitist status quo and are not in any way going to radically reform anything. They follow a moderate foreign policy and encourage Ireland as an open, ready for business state.
    2. Fine Gael: by and large, the same as Fianna Fail without the corruption the likes of Bertie and Haughey brought to Fianna Fail. In the past, they were seen as more on the side of the rich than the poor (however, Bertie and Haughey proved this was very true of Fianna Fail too).
    3. Labour: Another party largely similar to FF & FG, who were always its two choices of coalition parties! Meant to be on the side of workers, in reality Labour look after the vested interests of the elite like the rest.
    4. Sinn Fein: Of course, we automatically think of the IRA and of a party on the side of the downtrodden against big business, the British and elitism. Sinn Fein in power would be a different prospect (for an idea of what it would be like, think Northern Ireland). They would essentially become Fianna Fail, moderate its foreign policy and sink into the usual role of protecting the elite.
    5. Independents: these are normally ex Fianna Failers for the most part and jump on a bandwagon to get elected be it turf, pylons, radiotherapy, Shell to Sea, people before profit, incinerators, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    not much understanding of/nor do i care about politics,but sinn fein???

A) Sinn Féin leadership is still tainted by their IRA connections.
    B) They live in a land of fantasy economics. While I appreciate they do good work in a lot of communities that other parties won't touch, they make an awful lot of promises that they can only afford to make because they're not in power and don't have to make good on them. An awful lot like FF, especially Martin's FF in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Stark wrote: »
    A) Sinn Féin leadership is still tainted by their IRA connections.
    B) They live in a land of fantasy economics. While I appreciate they do good work in a lot of communities that other parties won't touch, they make an awful lot of promises that they can only afford to make because they're not in power and don't have to make good on them. An awful lot like FF, especially Martin's FF in that regard.

That is very true. Overall, SF are very like FF in many ways. The opposition politician promising a fairer state if they get into power can be taken with a grain of salt: once in power, they continue on as the last government did. There is no reason to believe SF are any different.

SF will recruit a lot of respectable people into its ranks with the likes of Chris Andrews already in there to attract ex-FF voters who still don't want to vote for FF. SF will market itself as a major rival to FF as a moderate republican party (with the dissidents catering for more hardline republicanism and FG more in line with the 'free state' legacy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

He's doting if he thinks Fianna Fail are no longer toxic when only a week ago a mate of Bertie's was exposed creaming money off charitable donations from the CRC when he was its CEO. I still think there is alot more skeletons to come out of Fianna Fails closet yet from the Celtic Tiger era.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Was listening to a year in review show last weekend, think it was on newstalk. The point was made, and I agree with it, is that Martin has done a good job of steadying the ship but if FF want move on and leave behind their reckless legacy then they need fresh blood to lead the party.

The problem seems to be a lack of suitable candidates. I expect the current government, with a little collateral damage, to be returned again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

FF only care about themselves and this sort of introspection is typical of Martin and FF. It's all about the party and how they're perceived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

Still looks toxic to me

What springs to your mind, when you think of F.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,026 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If FF is detoxified, I wil llsoe whatever shread of hope in democracy I have left.
    Dannyboy83 wrote: »

There are alternatives: smaller parties, independants - they might not get into power, but if their polices get votes then maybe whoever is in power will actually pat attnetion.

Besides, Ming got in: wahtever you think of him as a politician, you know about his policies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

And cue the fianna fail supporters trying to turn the subject to FG!

Thomas D wrote: »
    FF only care about themselves and this sort of introspection is typical of Martin and FF. It's all about the party and how they're perceived.

tell me a party that doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Nice try with some whataboutery.

I will answer your question though. When I think of FG, Lab or Ind , the fact that they are not FF or SF springs to mind.

If you start a separate thread about these parties I would be happy to debate you there.
    And for the record I am neither a member or supporter of Fg
    , Lab or Ind grouping.

Nice try with some whataboutery.

I will answer your question though. When I think of FG, Lab or Ind , the fact that they are not FF or SF springs to mind.

If you start a separate thread about these parties I would be happy to debate you there.
    And for the record I am neither a member or supporter of Fg
    , Lab or Ind grouping.

you remind me of enda, Inability to debate, never answer even the simplest of questions, instead try and divert attention for your failings by criticising others and in your denial of being a f.g supporter an inability to lie straight in bed.

you remind me of enda, Inability to debate, never answer even the simplest of questions, instead try and divert attention for your failings by criticising others and in your denial of being a f.g supporter an inability to lie straight in bed.

In fairness, one of the most positve points about FG is that they aren't FF.

So has he dumped brothelgate willie from the party? Surely having liars as one of the partys top men can't be good for the party? Did we ever get to the bottom of that affadavit story?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can MM and the likes just shut the **** up and go away. If they really were, they would have pursued justice in the face of their parties crimes, committed by the leaders fronted by said parties. But they won't and they'll do the same again.

• Advertisement

In fairness, one of the most positve points about FG is that they aren't FF.

they are currently working to change that.

I answered your question, and you reply with jibberish again.

Its what fianna fail supporters do!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose Gary Glitter could still open a creche now that he has been out of the news so long.

you call that an answer. if your not in f.g you should join. in time you could lead it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Eh hold on, is that not exactly what you just did?
    A debate starts about Fianna Fail and you instead try to divert attention to Fine Gael?

Its what fianna fail supporters do!

Are you a f.f supporter, don't try to hide it. In my eyes that would leave you on a par with f.g supporters.

you call that an answer. if your not in f.g you should join. in time you could lead it.

You are succeeding in dragging this thread way off the OP with whataboutery ..... Well done

they are currently working to change that.

If the electorate falls for it, they're morons.

It's not the FF would make bad leaders, it's the fact that FF are seriously corrupt. Ok, they same oculd be said about other parties, but looking back over the years, the majority of financial scandals have involved FF politicians.

While Enda Kenny has pretty much steered Ireland through the worst of the financial crisis, I don't see what Michale Martin has done to instill trust in anyone.

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    Eh hold on, is that not exactly what you just did?
    A debate starts about Fianna Fail and you instead try to divert attention to Fine Gael?

I was simply looking for the o.p to come clean about his allegiance to f.g. In the fairness of having an open and honest debate. If I was a supporter of .f.f and trying to put a case forward as to why somebody should support them over f.g., it would be nice to know that the o.p was a lifelong f.g supporter and would support them in any circumstances.
    Being a f.g supporter I would expect him to be interested in openess and transperancy .

Advertisement