Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staring at disabled people?

Options
  • 26-12-2013 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Have we really moved forward with disabled people?
    we give them a few quid , but other than that whats changed? My nephew has a form of polio and hes a greta kid....he struggles around with crutches and splints...he uses wheelchair in many cases as he tires easily

but what gets to him most is the way people stare and some mock too
    whenever we take him anywhere we have to ring in advance , are there steps, how many>? any disabled access ? disabled toilets etc
    and its amazing how many do not

hes a greta positive kid, but this issue is simply never discussed on mainstream tv , news and radio and even in the papers ....how often is this on bbc news? how many disabled / wheelchair bound people are in eastenders? etc does it matter? Yes. recently we see remploy get closed. i worry about my nephew. I really do.

for me not enough is done or said...not enough money is invested ....yet other parties who get discriminated against get endless attention, sympathy and big money pay outs too

personally I think the discrimination disabled people get is worse than all other kinds of discrimination...because not only does it hurt emotionally, mentally etc but its also a practical problem of being difficult to live a proper full life ...thats before we even get to the medication, the pain, the doctor vists etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I don't know what way people will take this but when I think of people staring at disabled people I look at it like staring at a tiger or some exotic animal that you don't see everyday. If you saw one of those animals walking down the street you'd stare at them. That's why I think people stare at disabled people. People look out of curiousity even though it's rude.

I probably didn't word that too well to avoid offending the nit pickers.

As for the mocking, yeah that's just pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

People are naturally somewhat curious about things they don't see everyday. But that's no excuse for staring or mocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

When it's something you're not used to, you'll stare.,, get over it

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

WHEELCHAIR RAMP OPENING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

uch wrote: »

You'll look. But there's no need to be staring at a disabled kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I hope your nephew had an awesome Christmas OP!

People are cruel. They stare, they gossip, they judge. Obviously everyone isn't like that but for the most part, they are. Anyone with a disability is seen as 'different' and in their minds requires staring when in actual fact, they're not. They're still human beings, still have feelings and just because they might not be able to do everything people without a disability can, it doesn't mean they need to stare until their necks do a full 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yeah, I think people stare because it's a curiousity, not because they're trying to be rude. That doesn't excuse it, but unless you're taught by someone that staring is rude, even if someone looks and/or acts differently than most people, it can be hard in the moment to catch yourself. When I was growing up, we had a group of severely disabled students (physically and mentally) who were generally kept away from the non-disabled students at all times. But you could volunteer to spend an elective class with them and work with them. Not many students did it, but those who did got a great education about how to work with and approach disabled people. In some ways, I wish the school would have made some sort of exposure or education about those students mandatory, because I think a lot of the reactions you see on the streets are just plain ignorance as a result of low exposure and interaction with disabled people.

Mocking is way out of line though and should be called out by any decent person who hears it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I'm greta. You're greta. We're all greta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Pj! wrote: »
    You'll look. But there's no need to be staring at a disabled kid.

Never said that

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's something a lot of people aren't usually accustomed to dealing with. It's rude when it is more than a glance or note of curiosity. There's still a high degree of stigma around physical and mental disability in Ireland. It's hard to change unless people open up and talk about it. If I hear someone making a joke at the expense of a disabled person I'll shoot them down pretty fast, no place for that in our world today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have a personal rule when it comes to walking past disabled people:

That's never stare and if you glance, break eye contact immediately, treat them like they are some other random stranger passing by. Because thats what they are... just another person :)

But I have seen a few people stare at a disabled person walking past them. Only caught in a few times in my life (guess I was just looking in the right place at the right time) and it does annoy me. Treat people with respect. It doesnt matter what their circumstances are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I have a personal rule when it comes to walking past disabled people:

That's never stare and if you glance, break eye contact immediately, treat them like they are some other random stranger passing by. Because thats what they are... just another person :)

But I have seen a few people stare at a disabled person walking past them. Only caught in a few times in my life (guess I was just looking in the right place at the right time) and it does annoy me. Treat people with respect. It doesnt matter what their circumstances are.

+1 to this

When I'm passing I might glance but it baffles me why anyone who has any bit of cop on or manners would stay looking at anyone who has a disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I think the paralimpics last year and the last leg with Adam Hills has helped this a LOT.

I'm mildly disabled, with a badge on the car but while I need a stick I'm not in a wheelchair or anything.

people are intrigued by the unusual, which is why the whole Indonesian bride thing kicked off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,031 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What Indonsian Bride thing?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've a mate in a wheelchair, so I'm a bit perceptive of wheelchair user issues than most as I also worked as his PA for a year. The most remarkable and almost funny occasion we had was that we were in a pub in Temple bar one afternoon. My mate needed to use the toilet so we asked the bar man where the disabled toilets were. "upstairs" says yer man. He seen us looking pussled and baffled at how a wheelchair user could get upstairs to use them, and then came back and said "It's ok, we have a lift". Ah we thought with relief. "so where's the lift". "over there" says the barman, pointing to a lift that was in an elevated part of the bar, that was four steps up. This was in a busy city centre bar which was very tourist orientated.

A second incident, was when we were going on holidays, and we were in Dublin airport. My friend because he was in the wheelchair was at the front of the queue because he had to board to plane first for logistcal reasons. Just as we were about to board, a member of DAA staff who was organizing for my mate to board the plane, walks up and says "So can you walk or are you completely fúcked?" We were totally shocked and were absolutley livid. We know what he was trying to ask. He was looking to find out if my mate could handle the stairs of his disability was severe enough that he couldn't. The way he phrased it though was beyond reproach. This was a person that worked full time at assisting people with disabilities onto planes and this was how he spoke.

People with disabilities don't want special treatment. They just want equality, and sometimes that takes special treatment from others. What we as a country need to do is start accepting that treating someone as an equal doesn't mean you treat them the same as everyone else, but rather you treat them how you'd like to be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That's never stare and if you glance, break eye contact immediately, treat them like they are some other random stranger passing by.
    Next time you get eye contact, give them a nod of the head (as in, "hello") before you break eye contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Did no one ever teach you that staring is rude??

the_syco wrote: »
    Next time you get eye contact, give them a nod of the head (as in, "hello") before you break eye contact.
    Agree with this. It seems rude to look at someone and then look away.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

You'll stare if you let yourself. You know what? I try not to stare at anyone, but if there is someone that catches my attention, admittedly because they might appear to be slightly different, I try even harder, and try to put myself in their position, and how I would hate to be stared at if I was them. It just takes a little effort and shift in your way of thinking for most people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

^Exactly. Their emotions are more important than anyone's fleeting curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I think to suggest to people that they not stare is ridiculous. People ARE going to stare, and mock, and make little of people with disabilities. People staring is only one aspect of disability or difference that disabled people will have to deal with, and IMO it's far better to teach them how to cope with that aspect of their disability while also teaching them how to adapt to and interact with their world around them.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I think to suggest to people that they not stare is ridiculous. People ARE going to stare, and mock, and make little of people with disabilities. People staring is only one aspect of disability or difference that disabled people will have to deal with, and IMO it's far better to teach them how to cope with that aspect of their disability while also teaching them how to adapt to and interact with their world around them.

So you think it's acceptable to mock people with disabilities?

I think to suggest to people that they not stare is ridiculous. People ARE going to stare, and mock, and make little of people with disabilities.
    Why is it ridiculous? Why should staring and mocking be acceptable?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you think it's acceptable to mock people with disabilities?
    Why is it ridiculous? Why should staring and mocking be acceptable?

Down off the high horses now lads, you both know well that's not what I said at all. I never said it was acceptable, I said they should be taught to cope with this behaviour from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'd usually stare at the starer giving them the evils.

So you stand there, slack jawed, just gawking at someone like some toothless yokel?

Dear god.

Down off the high horses now lads, you both know well that's not what I said at all. I never said it was acceptable, I said they should be taught to cope with this behaviour from others.

So you think people with disabilities are the problem and they should learn to deal with it, rather than people learning not to stare?

I can't believe people are defending staring at those with disabilities, I really really can't. I was brought up not to stare at anyone and that's exactly how I would bring up any children of mine. Yes, people will notice those who are different, that's natural, if I saw someone staring I would assume they lacked basic manners. And mocking? well then they really could have been brought up a lot better tbh.

Educate yourselves on those with disabilities. Little things can make a big difference to your fellow human being. Like not speaking over someone in a wheelchair to talking their assistant instead. Or remembering that if someone has Downs' Syndrome that you don't call them a Downs' Syndrome person, but rather a person with Downs' Syndrome.

You have no right to make someone else's life uncomfortable for no other reason than they are different to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Pity you weren't in a position to advise Rosa Parks, Mandela, Ghandi, and many others.

All those gay pride gals and dudes too.

Just put up and shut up, get used to it pal, it's going to happen, better just learn to cope with this discrimination.

Why bother trying to change attitudes. Pointless.

You're a complete genius. As ever.

Advertisement