Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MagicMoose

There are a few places in Cork which are offering pretty decent value on drinks. e.g. The Woodford has pints for 3.50.

Anyway I'm glad that Wetherspoons are coming though I'd love to know where they'll end up. Maybe they'll end up where the Newport used to be or Grand Parade as some people say.

In some regards they are a little generic, but they don't have music blaring over the top of everything, they're family friendly, they sell cheap beer, decent food and have some food theme nights (e.g. Curry club). Plus you can steal packets of mustard from their condiment stand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I heard Wetherspoon's are looking in the Turner's Cross area. Possibly the pub on the corner by the stadium.

Weatherspoon's are fine for a drink. But I wouldn't touch the food with a barge pole! You'd have to be seriously p1ssed or seriously starving to eat there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Interesting.. probably not a bad call, could serve both the Turners Cross and Musgrave Park crowds. On match days, people wouldn't be too fussed, either drinks/food/decor wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Looks like Newport/ mangans site on Paul street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Looks like Newport/ mangans site on Paul street

interesting might be a Lloyds rather than a wetherspoons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Brog? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Brog? :P

In shock with the news here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I heard whispers from someone working there that its not completely closing down. It (along with its staff) is being moved to a new premises near the Woolshed, and the Bróg is going to be renovated into a modern bar. The owners want the renovation to appeal to the Voodoo Rooms crowd, in the Riordans / Havanas kind of way.

I imagine its probably very awkward for the security staff, allowing customers into the Bróg but then refusing them entry upstairs when they are both owned by the same people. The bróg crowd simply isn't the voodoo lounge crowd, so I can see why they want to move/close the bróg and have both the upstairs and downstairs available to the voodoo rooms crowd.

Lord knows they need it, I was in there over the summer and it was jam packed like a sweat shop, I ended up leaving after half an hour after being almost trampled several times. Its waaaaay too small for the amount of people they are letting in. Its a shame its so overcrowded because its a nice club, I just wouldn't return when its so dangerously full again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I heard whispers from someone working there that its not completely closing down. It (along with its staff) is being moved to a new premises near the Woolshed, and the Bróg is going to be renovated into a modern bar. The owners want the renovation to appeal to the Voodoo Rooms crowd, in the Riordans / Havanas kind of way.

I wonder if it's going in the old Bondi Beach premises, there's a lot of work going on there recently.

Edit: Just looked up the planning and it looks like student apartments going in there. It's a mystery!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

TheChizler wrote: »
    I wonder if it's going in the old Bondi Beach premises, there's a lot of work going on there recently.

Edit: Just looked up the planning and it looks like student apartments going in there. It's a mystery!

I was thinking Bondi myself, or maybe Redz? Time will tell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I was thinking Bondi myself, or maybe Redz? Time will tell!

I had read somewhere that Ernest Cantillon (the man behind sober lane, electric and now the brog/voodoo rooms) had been looking at the Redz building for something. I think it needs a lot of work to bring it up to health and safety standards though. one of the reasons why it closed down in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I had read somewhere that Ernest Cantillon (the man behind sober lane, electric and now the brog/voodoo rooms) had been looking at the Redz building for something. I think it needs a lot of work to bring it up to health and safety standards though. one of the reasons why it closed down in the first place.

A lot of work is an understatement, buddy of mine did a bit of work there a 2 years ago and was asked to price repairs. Just to bring it up to standard was gonna be 200,000. That's a barebones building.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So there'd be no music, and an actual decent choice of beers?

I'm not much of a pub person these days, I dislike the loud and noisy music and generic choices of drinks, so they do sound like a bit of a godsend to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

any work update on the conversion of the newport to wetherspoons....................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

kooga wrote: »
    any work update on the conversion of the newport to wetherspoons....................

Sunday Times Business section confirmed today that Wetherspoons have bought the Newport bar and Mangans niteclub on Paul St Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I havent been to Mangans since I was 19 I'd say, nearly a decade ago.

I dont think I was ever in the Newport bar now I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Hopefully they will shake up the city centre drink market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Confirmed in the Journal today....

Discount pub chain acquires Cork premises, will invest €1.5m and create 40 jobs
    The former Newport Cafe site, on Paul Street, is currently closed but Wetherspoon’s say that they will invest €1.5 million in transforming the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It'll be interesting to see what they do with it and it's certainly more desirable than having the Newport sitting empty in the middle of what's an otherwise very vibrant area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Looking forward to it, something to shake up that area. Does that include the Mangans area aswell?

Was in Weatherspoons in Belfast few weeks ago, place was absolutely jointed, got a fry and a pint for 5.50 or something ridiculous like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

CHealy wrote: »
    Looking forward to it, something to shake up that area. Does that include the Mangans area aswell?

Was in Weatherspoons in Belfast few weeks ago, place was absolutely jointed, got a fry and a pint for 5.50 or something ridiculous like that.

I don't think Weatherspoons shake up the pub scene, if anything it's a race to the bottom. I've been in a few in the UK and they are...well, soulless and without character. However I'm willing to give them a chance, let's see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

if it means cheaper drink then cant be bad thing.

Lived in UK for couple of years and they aint great alright but things might be different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I wonder will they follow their UK model or will they adapt to the irish style? Hope they do the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

murphym7 wrote: »
    I wonder will they follow their UK model or will they adapt to the irish style? Hope they do the former.

please no fruit machines/Who Wants to be a Millionaire or Poker machines!!

please no fruit machines/Who Wants to be a Millionaire or Poker machines!!

They won't be appearing here due to licensing differences.

Complete lack of music is going to be a bit of a shock to the system for a lot of Irish pub goers. I'm not sure if it will work, but I am keeping an open mind.

I don't mind a little background music, but some Irish bars go nuts with the volume levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There are a couple of wetherspoons pubs in the Scotland that have live music at night, so there is precedent outside of England & will be interesting to see what they do in Ireland. Wetherspoons also own a chain called Lloyd's No.1 in England and that's all live DJs and cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nothing wrong with the lack of music imo.

There is a thread in AH about music in pubs being too loud for a chat..
    Im looking forward to going to weatherspoons in Cork. Been in them in England loads of times and they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

it is cheaper to drink in london's west end than in cork

any competitive pressure to keep those crazy 4.70€ prices in line is welcomed.

(talking about "SoHo" Cork- pints over 5€ now?????)

if anyone can put athmosphere into a weatherspoons it's the irish-

so good news all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

fairchild wrote: »
    (talking about "SoHo" Cork- pints over 5€ now?????)
    Barrys in Douglas was €5.05 for a pint of Budweiser the last time I was in there a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

From what I've seen of them on TV interviews they seem to know that the Irish market's pretty challenging from a customer expectation perspective and that their English format may not necessarily work.

So, I wouldn't necessarily be expecting a carbon copy of their British pubs either. They know they'll have to do something different.

Advertisement