Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE really need to stop naming shows after presenters.
    Well let's see ... Today FM's Weekday Schedule:
    Today FM wrote:
    Louise Duffy 5:00 am - 7:00 am
    The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show 7:00 am - 9:00 am
    The Ray D'Arcy Show 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
    The KC Show 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm
    Tony Fenton 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
    The Last Word with Matt Cooper 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm
    The Mix-Up with Colm O'Sullivan 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
    Paul McLoone 9:00 pm - 12:00 am

Not much "naming shows after presenters" there eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah but I was talking about RTE, not today FM so not sure what your point is caller.

Yeah but I was talking about RTE, not today FM so not sure what your point is caller.
    Well when you say "RTE really need to stop naming shows after presenters", sounds to me like you singling out RTE for errant behaviour. My point was that other stations do it too, as I demonstrated.

I'm not going to get into a weird argument about this, other than to note that maybe DJs are less likely to feck off for extended periods during the year, whereas on RTE1 its standard practice and the programmes in question don't actually need to be named after the presenter anyway. Why they routinely are is something I've posted about before - lazy personality driven thinking and one that is creating a problem of identity ironically enough. Marian Finucaine being the best example.

I'm not going to get into a weird argument about this, other than to note that maybe DJs are less likely to feck off for extended periods during the year, whereas on RTE1 its standard practice and the programmes in question don't actually need to be named after the presenter anyway. Why they routinely are is something I've posted about before - lazy personality driven thinking and one that is creating a problem of identity ironically enough. Marian Finucaine being the best example.
    The feckin off for extended periods of time I wouldn't disagree with you about at all. However, I would point out that the top three shows in RTE (Morning Ireland, Liveline and News At One) are not called after presenters at all.

The fact that Liveline isn't called after Joe Duffy still doesn't stop him feckin off for a fair amount of time anyway.

Although you mightn't think it, I do agree with you about the naming of shows. My favourite is the fact that Saturday View was renamed "Saturday with Claire Byrne" FFS :rolleyes:.

And I don't think you'll find any argument on this forum about Marian Finucane. The highest paid per presenting hour of anyone in RTE - and it's not as if she's going to feck off to be paid less money by Denis O'Brien, or that the BBC are banging down the door looking for her at this stage - that might have been the case at one time, but not now.

• Advertisement

Liveline was an established name when the Duffer took over the mic of course. Had it been new it would have been called The Joe Duffy Phone In no doubt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Can I suggest the following for David's gravestone..

"He held himself in the highest of regard"

Why didn't they keep Norris in studio for the hour... This current item is complete nonsense, and that guy Mark is irritatingly unfunny.. At least Norris was interesting.

Jesus H. Christ Miriam is reeeeeeally bad (as she might say herself).

She was interviewing Damian Duff this morning and he's on about the work he's doing for a children's charity. Says his own child had an operation in Great Ormond St Hospital for a hole in the heart.

Miriam's next question? Where did he have the operation? "In Great Ormond St" says Duffer (again).

It's not the first time I've heard her do that either.

Then in response the other day to some interviewee's life story involving their parents dying young:

"Sooo sad"! :mad:

If Newstalk Breakfast and local radio wasn't so bad I'd listen to them instead. Must remember to try D'Arcy any more between 9 and 10. He's not great either but at least he's better than that sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

RTÉ’s John Murray will not be returning to the station until at least the autumn but bosses insist he is recovering from the illness which kept him off air for the past eight weeks.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rte-star-out-until-autumn-234363.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Did I read somewhere that Katherine Thomas takes over the show for a couple of weeks, I wasn't a fan when J M (get well sooon) was there ,even less with Miriam and now ....well I will definitely not be listening , it just gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Anyone is better than Miriam O'Callaghan at this stage. She's reached saccharine saturation point with her radio and TV programmes this summer.

serfboard wrote: »
    She was interviewing Damian Duff this morning and he's on about the work he's doing for a children's charity. Says his own child had an operation in Great Ormond St Hospital for a hole in the heart.

that must have been a repeat of the interview from a few weeks back.. She kept referring to what duffer did when he was a "liddle boy"... Was awful stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

win2one wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that Katherine Thomas takes over the show for a couple of weeks

Yup... quite correct... but she did add that she couldn't fill Pat Kenny's shows.

Phew, eh?

http://radionation.ie/2013/08/kathryn-to-cover-for-john-murray-show/

fkn hell .. 30 mins on red hair.. Move on ffs.. Are they that short of topics.

I think Kathryn Thomas is more suited to that role than anybody else they have had in it, and they should just leave her there.. Infinitely better than John Murray and Miriam O'Callaghan.

oh good, this sounds interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

fkn hell .. 30 mins on red hair.. Move on ffs.. Are they that short of topics.

I think Kathryn Thomas is more suited to that role than anybody else they have had in it, and they should just leave her there.. Infinitely better than John Murray and Miriam O'Callaghan.

Nobody is or has been better than John Murray.
    thomas is ,as usual,woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Nobody is or has been better than John Murray.
    thomas is ,as usual,woeful.

John Murray is beyond woeful............

It's a brave man who'll stand over John Murray's performances on the radio show.. As I've said many times, he was very good at the business show, but RTE of course were more concerned about keeping a spot for George Lee than actually putting square pegs in square holes...

And dont forget, the Tyrone team are STILL boycotting RTE after his "comedy" sketch three years ago.. I had uploaded the sketch to youtube, but RTE pulled it..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/tyrones-rte-boycott-shows-integrity-of-team-29244668.html

The show should have been binned after that sketch, as it proved he just didnt know anything about comedy or boundaries..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Fairly sure the boycott has a lot more to do with ego then it does boundaries, Mickey Harte has done more than enough to prove that since.

The piece wasn't funny at all at all and the song an idiotic choice, but I think any sports manager who attempts to influence a broadcaster to give his journalist buddy a promotion is a worthy target of satire.
    Another example of Harte and co crossing boundaries was their defense of Quinn.

Not a massive fan of Murray either mind, but the re emergence of this story in the media has grinded my gears.

• Advertisement

She's fairly successfully absolved herself of all responsibility for the child's accident... "You know children, they want to dress up in fancy dresses".. Still doesnt explain why they allowed the child to play with a lit candle in a flammable dress..

She's fairly successfully absolved herself of all responsibility for the child's accident... "You know children, they want to dress up in fancy dresses".. Still doesnt explain why they allowed the child to play with a lit candle in a flammable dress..
    Heard a bit of that interview - that couple seem to have been through an awful lot ...

Unfortunately, however, 'twas Miriam that was interviewing them.

BTW, anyone see the latest cover of The Phoenix - pic of Tubridy and Miriam and Miriam is saying "Will Pat's listeners follow him to NewsTalk?" Tubridy replies "They will if you take over!".

I was probably being a bit harsh on the mother, but it came across as if she was blaming the child for what happened!!! Poor child ended up with burns on her back..

I think it's terrible sad when a child is hurt cos of negligence.. I remember seeing a hospital show on TV3 where the child had drank some sort of (concoction that should have been out of reach) and the child was permanently in hospital with serious damage to the oesophagus. So sad..

Just listening to Michael Should he really be talking about this or putting it "in the book".. What about (witch) doctor / patient confidentiality.

He should stick to reading the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Just listening to Michael Should he really be talking about this or putting it "in the book".. What about (witch) doctor / patient confidentiality.

He isn't a doctor, he's a psychotherapist , but ' generally ' the same code of ethics should apply , I was abit uncomfortable listening to that bit as well!

He should stick to reading the news.

RTE should subcontract him to Victim Village on Newstalk.. That oul nonsense he goes on with would fit in perfectly on that show..

RTE should subcontract him to Victim Village on Newstalk.. That oul nonsense he goes on with would fit in perfectly on that show..

Dil was having a go at Tennessee Williams on Saturday night for being racist. He's been feckin dead for 30 years. Is anybody safe when she's around?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Is strong religious belief a sign of mental illness these days if you're young Irish and Catholic? Good luck to him, bless him and fair play to him, congratulations etc., but it sounds nuts to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I just switched on
    what the f*ck is this shít ??

Advertisement