Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 muffino

I have been trying to ring poppys yesterday and today and there is no dialtone, I hope they arent closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

Trotter wrote: »
    We were in a gorgeous new restaurant (I think its new anyway!) in Tramore on Monday called Brooklyn. (I know its county but city folk should really give this place a go!)

Its a little bit of a throwback to the feel of NY Burger.. sort of casual but with a lot extra on the menu. Prices were reasonable and the food was really great. The only problem was we liked it so much we went back again the next day but it was closed at 2pm!

I'm hoping I just missed a sign that says closed on Tuesdays or something like that. I'd happily drive out from the city to give it another go regularly!

A friend and I went to Brooklyn a few weeks ago on a Thursday evening at 7.30pm. We were seated and they took our order (2 steak ciabattas). 30 minutes later no sign of our food. After many looks from us at the waiter he finally came over and asked what we ordered - he said the kitchen had lost our ticket. We asked would it take much longer and he said 5 minutes. 15 minutes later no sign of the waiter or our food. So we got up and walked over to the manager and told him we were leaving because almost 50 minutes for a sandwich was too long. He did apologise but made no effort to keep our business.

The food may be nice but we're not impressed with his customer service and won't be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

God, a few of us heading to Brooklyn tomorrow evening:eek:

I've heard there's a lovely new Indian opposite the People's Park. It's called Blue Mango, and is run by a man that used to work in BB's. Food and service excellent by all accounts, so I can't wait to try it:)

I went into Number 9 for the first time yesterday, and was very impressed. Excellent service, I had the day's special which was lovely. It is a little pricier than Brunch, but I suppose that's because of the table service. It's a great spot for anyone with a little one in a buggy, loads of room, you don't feel like you're in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭deisemum

I went for a meal in Waterford Castle over the weekend, everything was great - food, service etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

just did the tasting trail in la boheme & bodega, it was top class ! 3 courses in each for 39.95 a head , food and presentation was excellent, by the way both were full anyway just goes to show quality & value is the way to go ! hats off to both business for trying a different approach ! we are spoiled in waterford for good restaurants ! would highly recommend this !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

RumMonkey wrote: »
    A friend and I went to Brooklyn a few weeks ago on a Thursday evening at 7.30pm. We were seated and they took our order (2 steak ciabattas). 30 minutes later no sign of our food. After many looks from us at the waiter he finally came over and asked what we ordered - he said the kitchen had lost our ticket. We asked would it take much longer and he said 5 minutes. 15 minutes later no sign of the waiter or our food. So we got up and walked over to the manager and told him we were leaving because almost 50 minutes for a sandwich was too long. He did apologise but made no effort to keep our business.

The food may be nice but we're not impressed with his customer service and won't be rushing back.

We have been there several times since it opened and have never had an issue. It has very good service. I think that this must have been an aberration. Please don't let this contribution put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Brooklyn again tonight and it was great. They looked after my 2 year old especially so well. The waitress chatted to her and brought her to choose the ice cream she wanted. The service was friendly, quick and I had no complaints at all. We'll certainly be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Espresso are running a promotion on people's names. They announce a female and male name every weekend and that person, e.g Brian...anyone called brian can get a 2for1 on their early bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

La Boheme was reviewed in the Irish Times at the weekend:

http://www.irishtimes.com/review-la-boh%C3%A8me-waterford-1.1481988

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

muffino wrote: »
    I have been trying to ring poppys yesterday and today and there is no dialtone, I hope they arent closed?

Was Poppy's the restaurant beside Bodega?

If it was, there's a new restaurant there now called Greenes. Went in there over the weekend and was very impressed. The decor is nice and the food is fresh and tasty, with options of sandwiches, steaks and pizzas. Pulled Pork in a Blaa was the option i got and was delicious.
    Just hope it lasts longer than the previous restaurants there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

no9 in georges court (old brunch restaurant) was in over spraoi weekend. The galloway burger was most enjoyable burger i have had in ages and i eat burgers regularly, not too healthy i know. anyway it was delicious and waitresses in there were very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

had lunch in Greens Today - very nice - had bread & dips followed by 8oz steak - partner had crab salad. 1 glass wine - 1 coffee - e34 - nice - good service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Would anyone recommend the Signaporean Restaurant? Mazio I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Yes ! They're so friendly ... Love their Kung po ... Regular sized portions for their take away tho, ferrybank would be the best for size and quality take away wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Baby4 wrote: »

Yeah they do..... lovely pizza too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

I heard they are doing an all you can eat buffet for €8.99 and I'm told its lovely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tried No.9 a few weeks ago. Found the service very efficient, prompt and friendly but their menu was limited. For a Cafe I personally would expect to see a wider choice and at least the option to have a sandwich / wrap / baguette made up with my own toppings which wasn't an option. A standard ham and cheese sandwich didn't appear on the menu either, which was disappointing.

It is a completely different experience to Brunch, the former restaurant. It is completely table service. You arrive, sit down and look at their A4 paper menu (which is a no no for me!) and order from the friendly staff. Likewise when you are ready to pay, you pay the waiter / waitress.

I had the soup, which was Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup if I recall correctly (some form of Tomato soup). It came served with bread, but not at the same time because the bread comes served warm from the oven. A request for more bread took a considerable delay it appears due to a mix-up between staff but an apology was given all the same. Loved the soup and the bread.

The brownie for dessert was absolutely gorgeous, top notch.

Top notch for food and service. Just a limited menu for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Where is this place? Is it the latest manifestation of the restaurant on Henrietta St?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeah it's lovely.

They do an all you can eat buffet starter followed by a main course for €8. You help yourself to as much of the starters as you like and then when you've had enough starters you get the main course.

It's a big hit with teenage boys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Just had a lovely meal in Kafe Karma on the Quay, the steak and chips there are fantastic, plus the staff very friendly and efficient. The dessert of apple crumble was very filling as well. My only fault is the long wait for the food but apart from that i have no complaints and we will definitely be going back for the lunch menu. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Sully wrote: »
    Tried No.9 a few weeks ago. Found the service very efficient, prompt and friendly but their menu was limited. For a Cafe I personally would expect to see a wider choice and at least the option to have a sandwich / wrap / baguette made up with my own toppings which wasn't an option. A standard ham and cheese sandwich didn't appear on the menu either, which was disappointing.

It is a completely different experience to Brunch, the former restaurant. It is completely table service. You arrive, sit down and look at their A4 paper menu (which is a no no for me!) and order from the friendly staff. Likewise when you are ready to pay, you pay the waiter / waitress.

I had the soup, which was Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup if I recall correctly (some form of Tomato soup). It came served with bread, but not at the same time because the bread comes served warm from the oven. A request for more bread took a considerable delay it appears due to a mix-up between staff but an apology was given all the same. Loved the soup and the bread.

The brownie for dessert was absolutely gorgeous, top notch.

Top notch for food and service. Just a limited menu for my liking.

God that sounds like an awful set up and not at all set up for the casual lunch crowd it attracts. Just like Brunch before it, most of the people who go for lunch are office workers, shoppers, sole diners etc who just want a quick and easy hassle free set-up, I dont like the idea of being seated and served like it were a restaurant.

You say the sandwich menu was limited, things havent changed then. Anyting I got a sandwich in Brunch, the option was brown or white, no blaas, no sweetcorn, tuna and the most basic of ingredients. I was never mad about Brunch but Im even less inclined to give this place a try now. Maybe if im around there but maybe not!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You say the sandwich menu was limited, things havent changed then. Anyting I got a sandwich in Brunch, the option was brown or white, no blaas, no sweetcorn, tuna and the most basic of ingredients. I was never mad about Brunch but Im even less inclined to give this place a try now. Maybe if im around there but maybe not!

Well its a bit more restrictive than that. There appeared to be only a small few sandwidches on the menu and you couldn't make up one from scratch. In Brunch, you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wheja

Does anyone know anything about the tapas restaurant opening where Le Blaa was on the Mall?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Wheja wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the tapas restaurant opening where Le Blaa was on the Mall?

As per their Facebook page it's due to open in October and currently recruiting for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 muffino

Anyone know what the story is with Maxim House and their 50% off deal?? I havent been there for years..

Also has anyone dined in Greene's? Am going there Saturday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wheja

What is the tapas place called?

Heard of someone else's not so great experience of Maxim House's 50% offer. I believe you must have all four courses to be given the discount, no tap water available the night my friend ate there so they had no option but to order drinks, service wasn't great in terms of politeness and friendliness. I like Maxim for a takeaway however!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Wheja wrote: »
    What is the tapas place called?

Heard of someone else's not so great experience of Maxim House's 50% offer. I believe you must have all four courses to be given the discount, no tap water available the night my friend ate there so they had no option but to order drinks, service wasn't great in terms of politeness and friendliness. I like Maxim for a takeaway however!!

It's called The Olive Tree Tapas & Wine Bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

If anyone is looking for an Indian, I can highly recommend Blue Mango opposite the Peoples Park. Lovely food and staff, and little one friendly..:)

Advertisement