Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Thanks, guys.

I got the new modem today but can't get it working. I can connect to it and all the lights are on, but no internet. Gone back to my old modem. Maybe UPC just have to activate it or something. I'll call them when I have a few hours to spare.

If your old modem is still working then you have not been activated by UPC.
    If you can afford to be off the air, then connect up new modem and leave it overnight to see if its activates.

If not, then you will need to contact them - not sure if tech support are available on Sundays!
    Had to that myself, and after speaking to guy, bb came online within 30mins or so, closely followed by phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think they are available today. I'll try giving them a call later.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of just putting the Airport into bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 petertgtt

UPC Cisco EPC3925 was installed on Friday and I would like to bridge it. Are the instructions still valid on the OP's excellent post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

petertgtt wrote: »
    UPC Cisco EPC3925 was installed on Friday and I would like to bridge it. Are the instructions still valid on the OP's excellent post?
    It should be available as an option out of the box these days on the EPC3925. If not on yours, the instructions in the first post should still apply. :)

Lucky you....

Bridge mode should be available as a standard menu option on the 3925 - no need for changing html pages.

Just as a matter of interest, was your connection new or an upgrade, and what county are you in?
    Reason for asking is that I was told that upc tech's that 3925's where not being given to them to install and that the standard was the Technocolor TC7200 (currently non bridgeable).

• Advertisement

Lucky you....

Bridge mode should be available as a standard menu option on the 3925 - no need for changing html pages.

Just as a matter of interest, was your connection new or an upgrade, and what county are you in?
    Reason for asking is that I was told that upc tech's that 3925's where not being given to them to install and that the standard was the Technocolor TC7200 (currently non bridgeable).

I got a Cisco EPC3925 last Friday on a new UPC internet connection. I did notice the Bridge-mode option, and I am now wondering what would be the best way to bridge a decent router. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-300Mbps-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YETVTQ )

I am not at all very knowledgeable at this, and I came here for some advice as the wireless speed is less than I hoped for.

I got a Cisco EPC3925 last Friday on a new UPC internet connection. I did notice the Bridge-mode option, and I am now wondering what would be the best way to bridge a decent router. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-300Mbps-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YETVTQ )

I am not at all very knowledgeable at this, and I came here for some advice as the wireless speed is less than I hoped for.

Basically the steps are turn off wireless and select the bridge mode option on your 3925, reboot. Connect a cable between a lan port on the 3925 to the wan port on your new router. Power on your new router and you should be good to go.
    You then connect wired or wireless to your new router and leave the 3925 alone.

Basically the steps are turn off wireless and select the bridge mode option on your 3925, reboot. Connect a cable between a lan port on the 3925 to the wan port on your new router. Power on your new router and you should be good to go.
    You then connect wired or wireless to your new router and leave the 3925 alone.

Very much appreciate your reply white_westie. I would not have a clue otherwise. By the Lan port to the Wan port, do you mean plug an ethernet cable between the two boxes?

Very much appreciate your reply white_westie. I would not have a clue otherwise. By the Lan port to the Wan port, do you mean plug an ethernet cable between the two boxes?

Yes.
    Whatever router you buy, make sure its a cable router.
    There are various recommendations in the threads here, so have a look around. Popular brands are ASUS and Netgear. Prices are anything from 50-150euro.

Yes.
    Whatever router you buy, make sure its a cable router.
    There are various recommendations in the threads here, so have a look around. Popular brands are ASUS and Netgear. Prices are anything from 50-150euro.

Thanks a million. I looked at the options -Admin/management and it said " Bridged - only" or "router mode". With connection mode DHCP or static IP under it.

Im guessing leave DHCP as it is and simply apply bridge-only. Would that be correct?

The UPC phone will still work right?

• Advertisement

Thanks a million. I looked at the options -Admin/management and it said " Bridged - only" or "router mode". With connection mode DHCP or static IP under it.

Im guessing leave DHCP as it is and simply apply bridge-only. Would that be correct?

The UPC phone will still work right?

Yes select bridge mode.
    Yes phone should work

Never had a 3925 myself, but plenty of info in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Yes select bridge mode.
    Yes phone should work

Never had a 3925 myself, but plenty of info in this thread.

I finally got a 3925. It was new but old, had to plug it in and wait overnight and the firmware updated.

Turn off wifi

Enable bridging

The phone will still work just fine.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I just got UPC installed today. I was resigned to getting a technicolor modem, having read that the Ciscos were no longer available. I didn't even bother asking for a Cisco and, lo and behold, the guy arrives with a Cisco!

I couldn't believe my luck.

I just got UPC installed today. I was resigned to getting a technicolor modem, having read that the Ciscos were no longer available. I didn't even bother asking for a Cisco and, lo and behold, the guy arrives with a Cisco!

I couldn't believe my luck.
    I wonder if it's a case that some of the techs still have leftovers in only some parts of the country and are offloading them before moving on to the Technicolor.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a case that some of the techs still have leftovers in only some parts of the country and are offloading them before moving on to the Technicolor.

I'd say that any self installs whether new or upgrade will more than likely get the TC7200, whereas if a tech calls to do the install, you will get what's in his van at the time. The last tech that called to me, his van was full to the brim with stuff, but unfortunately not one 3925 in it.:(

I finally got a 3925. It was new but old, had to plug it in and wait overnight and the firmware updated.

Turn off wifi

Enable bridging

The phone will still work just fine.

:)
    Back in full control so happy days:pac:

I'd say that any self installs whether new or upgrade will more than likely get the TC7200, whereas if a tech calls to do the install, you will get what's in his van at the time. The last tech that called to me, his van was full to the brim with stuff, but unfortunately not one 3925 in it.:(
    That sounds like you could be onto something. If you really want a 3925, you could keep reporting faults and have tech guys call out. Ask each one if they have a 3925 in their vans and keep doing it until you finally get one. :)

That sounds like you could be onto something. If you really want a 3925, you could keep reporting faults and have tech guys call out. Ask each one if they have a 3925 in their vans and keep doing it until you finally get one. :)

Sounds like a plan, but I'm too honest to do that:p

Sounds like a plan, but I'm too honest to do that:p
    I know, I'd feel awkward myself. It's a pity. Though as long as the Technicolor is a better router than the 3925, you're probably just fine double NAT'ing. It's not that big a deal unless the router itself is a pile of horseshít. Maybe down the line UPC will see sense. Maybe everyone should keep nagging them on the Talk To section and it might eventually gain some traction with the right department.

I know, I'd feel awkward myself. It's a pity. Though as long as the Technicolor is a better router than the 3925, you're probably just fine double NAT'ing. It's not that big a deal unless the router itself is a pile of horseshít. Maybe down the line UPC will see sense. Maybe everyone should keep nagging them on the Talk To section and it might eventually gain some traction with the right department.

I'm not going out of my way to dump the TC7200 yet, as its working fine for the 4 of us at the moment. I'm sure they will get a firmware upgrade sometime in the future, and it might include a bridge mode option (or the code to support it!).
    From looking at the other upc forums, there does not seem to be a very negative view of the device, compared to say the 2425 or 3925 - main general complaint here seems to be related to wireless range and speeds.

• Advertisement

...main general complaint here seems to be related to wireless range and speeds.
    Which a better router in the DMZ can overcome quite easily!

Whatever way you look at it, eFibre isn't all that it can be right now and that's especially true of the higher latencies caused by packet interleaving and I'm not sure if Vectoring has been enabled yet on it (I'm only vaguely familiar with the concept). UPC is still the best bet and even if the 3925 wasn't ever bridgeable, I'd have stayed with them and continued double NAT'ing (which I did from January to September last year) because it really could be worse.

Which a better router in the DMZ can overcome quite easily!

Whatever way you look at it, eFibre isn't all that it can be right now and that's especially true of the higher latencies caused by packet interleaving and I'm not sure if Vectoring has been enabled yet on it (I'm only vaguely familiar with the concept). UPC is still the best bet and even if the 3925 wasn't ever bridgeable, I'd have stayed with them and continued double NAT'ing (which I did from January to September last year) because it really could be worse.

Speaking of DMZ, switched my ASUS and TC7200 into a DMZ setup this morning, and will see how it goes. Was messing around again, and noticed the static ip addr x.x.x.251 I was using just would not allow something to work on my sat boxes, so I left it alone. Tried another address and it worked - so have nearly tried every address in the subnet range and they ALL worked except the 251 one.:confused:

On the efibre front, the cabinet is just about 100m from my house, and it seems the local exchange upgrade has been brought forward a year, so I could have a real choice by the end of the year. Am keeping any eye on user reports, and hoping that Eircom will be able to show what their product can really do within the 12mths or so.

On the efibre front, the cabinet is just about 100m from my house, and it seems the local exchange upgrade has been brought forward a year, so I could have a real choice by the end of the year. Am keeping any eye on user reports, and hoping that Eircom will be able to show what their product can really do within the 12mths or so.
    I'm already in an area and the office I work at nearby has it in. I'm stick to UPC for the minute, there's nothing tempting me to switch. I was tempted before it went live in the initial exchanges outside of the pilot areas but I kept an eye on a thread where people were posting their speed tests and some DOS pings. There's no reason to switch right now. That could change, sure, but at the moment it's just not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Hi, just a quick question on bridging a EPC3925: will I be able to use the LAN ports in the back for uses other than connecting another router (say connecting my Xbox to it)?
    There are 4 ports in the back, one would be going the router and the other i'd like to use for my NAS and Xbox. is that possible or once it is bridged then those can only connect to another router?
    Sorry for the pretty basic question but I have a weird set up at home. can explain further if needed.
    Tks
    YLC

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick question on bridging a EPC3925: will I be able to use the LAN ports in the back for uses other than connecting another router (say connecting my Xbox to it)?
    There are 4 ports in the back, one would be going the router and the other i'd like to use for my NAS and Xbox. is that possible or once it is bridged then those can only connect to another router?
    Sorry for the pretty basic question but I have a weird set up at home. can explain further if needed.
    Tks
    YLC

No I don't believe so, because when the 3925 is in Bridge Mode it is basically a modem and presents your public ip address to a lan port.
    If you connect devices to the other lan ports, I don't think they will get other public ip addresses.
    If they do, then any device will be exposed to the public side of the net and would need to be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

Tks
    YLC

The third-party router and the UPC router (in bridge mode) will exist in a separate subnet to your third-party router defined LAN subnet.

So, the UPC router's switch won't be any use to you apart from diagnostics!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I forgot to post back here.

I managed to get the TC 7200 up and running with my Airport Express. I followed slartibardfast's instructions and everything seems to be working fine. The Airport is still showing a double NAT error, but the ports I already had forwarded on my Airport appear to be working okay thanks to the DMZ, so I've ignored it.

Thanks for the help, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Tks
    YLC

Once you have the 3925 in bridge mode all the Ethernet ports will give out the public ip so the ethernet ports won't work.

Once you have the 3925 in bridge mode all the Ethernet ports will give out the public ip so the ethernet ports won't work.

Just out of interest, does it give the same public ip on all ports, or does it give out different ones - thought i read somewhere that it would give out more.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, does it give the same public ip on all ports, or does it give out different ones - thought i read somewhere that it would give out more.
    You can get up to 3 public IPs, a 4th isn't possible, so 3 out of the 4 ports will give you a unique IP.

Advertisement