Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent Wrestling *Possible Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watched that Chikara PPV last night. First time watching their show. What's the story behind how it ended?

They aint telling. CHIKARA dont let stuff like that out but the most common theory is a re-branding under the Wrestling is... banner. No way in hell is that the end of the company as they had their biggest attendance ever only a few months ago.

A lot of the talent had to sign non disclosure contracts meaning we probably wont be finding out until they want us to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I didn't catch the ppv, what happened at the end?

Loughc wrote: »
    I didn't catch the ppv, what happened at the end?

During the main event, Wink brought security out who removed Icarus, Kingston and the ref from the ring, started ushering fans out and taking the set apart, ending the show there and then.

Wink sat on the stage eating an apple. :D

Afterwards, their were no merchandise stands, no wrestlers shilling their stuff, everyone was asked to leave the venue. Once they did, the doors were locked and that was the end of the show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    During the main event, Wink brought security out who removed Icarus, Kingston and the ref from the ring, started ushering fans out and taking the set apart, ending the show there and then.

Afterwards, their were no merchandise stands, no wrestlers shilling their stuff, everyone was asked to leave the venue. Once they did, the doors were locked and that was the end of the show.

Now that's how you end a ppv haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Apologies for the ignorance but who's Wink and why would he be involved in the shutdown?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Sorry lads half took a break from this forum, half got really immersed in this storyline. :P

Last Tuesday I kind of got interested in all the theories leading up to the show. The lead to finding out the business aspects of the promotion too. It snowballed and snowballed. Had all sorts of people contact me unsolicited via direct message from fans, insiders and others.

I largely knew the finish before it happened and I knew all of the business issues that came out along with other odds and sorts.

It was mental I played a feckin journalist or private eye for a couple of days. Imagine this what it would like living through the Montreal Scewjob or the formation of NWO.

Starting points:

Storyline:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1dvwp9/chikara_conspiracy_theory_how_season_12_is_an/c9uikp1

Post show developments:
    http://completeshot.tumblr.com/post/52154959822/the-fallout-of-never-compromise

Real world business situation:
    The following statement was issued to PWInsider.com this morning:
    "Some people have been attempting to distract from what happened on Sunday's iPPV by circulating rumors about an affair, a bitter divorce, or a dispute over the ownership of CHIKARA. All of these rumors are absolutely false."

A previous statement issued to PWInsider.com from CHIKARA's promotional end late last night claimed the promotion was liquidating its merchandise and that it would be selling off whatever physical assets (production material, etc.) off.

The idea fronted by the release was that the promotion had been struggling since their Joshimania events did not do well and they had been running in the red since late 2011. The implication was that the "parent company" had pulled the plug - literally, given the end of the show Sunday - on the promotion.

The statement claimed that all agreements with "third party vendors", such as their DVD deal with Smart Mark Video, would be honored through the end of 2013.

The canceled 7/21 date in NYC is now being filled by Kaiju Big Battel. Several of the CHIKARA "Wrestling Is..." sister promotions have already announced other dates that were formerly announced for CHIKARA as well.

As we move further down the rabbit hole, it certainly appears to be a completely massive angle, although what the end game on an angle that shuts down your company and potentially dilutes the brand name by splitting it across seven sister promotions remains to be seen.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Apologies for the ignorance but who's Wink and why would he be involved in the shutdown?

Wink Vavasseur CHIKARA's current Director of Fun (their on air authority figure) the incompetent son of the the owner of the Company that bought CHIKARA.

However a pretty big clue or red herring was given during the iPPV. Wink's full name is Wink C. Vavasseur and his father's name Conrad W. Vavasseur prompting speculation *drum roll* that Conrad is just Wink from the future. Wink gave out business cards with his name as "Wink C. Vavasseur"

The pic of Wink on the stage at the end of the show:
    aftermath8.jpg?w=490&h=367

If I haven't given people a textbook to read already I had to share this as it made me really sad:
    http://themandibleclaw.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/chikara-a-love-letter/

There's someone is getting a far bit of buzz and will probably get huge really soon.

His name is Andrew Everett who until recently competed under a mask as the Chiva Kid. He was hidden away in North Carolina for 7 years until February's National Pro Wrestling Day where he stole the show when he was still Chiva Kid:

He explains dropping the mask here:

CZW just put out a cool hightlight video for him here:

From EVOLVE last weekend:
    iQAUeaoghkSZF.gif

He has the great ability of landing perfect on his feet after hitting dives.

He did a better one a few months ago. Posted it in the GIF thread. He comes from the outside, over the top, onto the inside middle and then into a SSP.

• Advertisement

On the future of CHIKARA Mike Quackenbush broke his silence on Facebook:
    For those concerned about recent Chikara related events, all of the answers will be made public eventually. Thank you for all of your support during the last 11 years.

Interesting timing as this (super) fan podcast was released just yesterday:
    It’s a particularly grim episode of ¡VIVA CHIKARA! as it may the be the last one ever. Justin Houston and Kevin Ford are back for the final (?) time to discuss a variety of topics, including (obviously) their opinions on the “Aniversario: Never Compromise” iPPV. Thoughts on the company’s ending, Mike Quackenbush, Wrestling Is, and many other topics (happy and sad) are brought up and discussed very frankly. Many of you asked questions and we answered just about all of them. It tends to get a bit rambly, so we apologize in advance if the conversation gets muddled or confusing. The future of this podcast as well as the CHIKARA Special projects is also brought to the forefront. When one door closes, another opens, as this will not be the last you hear these two together on PWP radio. Enjoy nearly 2.5 hours of audio discussing the potentially defunct company these two hold so dearly.

http://www.pwponderings.com/2013/06/17/viva-chikara-the-end/

Both have followed forever and helped CHIKARA for free with website work and writing their Yearbook.

Knew this already but there seems to be two waves or camps of CHIKARA fan:
    • The first wave who have followed from early on that takes a more realistic, world weary view of it all. After seeing Quackenbush hit "backspace" on characters and storylines CHIKARA asked them to invest in.
    • Those who have only been watching for 3 years offering themselves up as willing "marks" for the over asks CHIKARA are making with the zillion blogs, side sites and twitter accounts. Mike Quackenbush more than played to these guys. Oddly these were the people who won all the prizes in a fan raffle on the Eve of the last show. ;)

A 76 page fan made document about the CHIKARA story: http://chikaralives.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/chikara-is-it-really-dead.pdf

Still reading, but it's very well done.

Sorry to double post, but I had to. It's 3am and I'm sat up reading it :pac:

I think it's the perfect level of detail. Not enough to treat you like an idiot, but still enough to fully explain everything thus far. Instead of just saying its linked to x, it actually tells you what x is about and why that link is important.

It's raised some very good questions about Ultramantis Black and his involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Let the speculation start again. Reboot or alternative timeline because of the time travelling?

Everyone is comparing Quackenbush to Walter White here.

CHIKARA really needs to tease but not clueless **** with people. They have been doing too much of the later up until this video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I tried really hard to get into this storyline but I just find it too niche and over-intricate for me. I applaud them for innovating but its just too much like hard work to follow.

I tried really hard to get into this storyline but I just find it too niche and over-intricate for me. I applaud them for innovating but its just too much like hard work to follow.

Ah here it is only seven promotions with no centralised hub/website. Piece of piss. :P

Read that document posted above. It wont make you an expert, but will give you a decent idea of what's going on.

Apparently the voice of the contractor is that of Ultra Mantis Black in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Read that document posted above. It wont make you an expert, but will give you a decent idea of what's going on.

The fact that a 76 page document is needed to get you abreast of what's going on is exactly the problem IMO!

• Advertisement

The fact that a 76 page document is needed to get you abreast of what's going on is exactly the problem IMO!

It's either that, or go back and watch every single show since Archie debuted :pac:

It breaks everything down. It's not a summary, its an explanation of literally everything that has happened. You can know everything you need without watching a single show if you read it.

2n07uib.png
    So Icarus is continuing his viral/grassroots campaign to Save Chikara, and is organizing a meet-up/rally in Philly on Saturday, Sept. 14, at the steps where they shot that scene in "Rocky."

There was also some hoopla about a petition that was posted under his username on the 101 Forums to Save Chikara, but which was revealed by Icarus to be a fraud, since his account got hacked. The site where the petition was hosted later showed that it was being run by Condor Security. The petition included fields for mailing addresses and phone numbers, which some people did admit on 101 to have filled out.

This thread on the 101 forums reveals that several of the people who signed the petition and gave their phone numbers have been receiving phone calls from (612) 460-1865, which is owned by Condor Security. These calls' all seem to be warnings about "security threats" and "[we] advise you to stay away from the Rocky Steps between 11 and 1 on September 14th." If someone calls the phone number back, they receive a message stating "Condor target/threat logged."

PWInsider's alternative version of the same story:
    A few weeks back, Chikara wrestler Icarus has posted a video encouraging fans to continue to rally around Chikara and bring it back. He had posted on the Chikara forum that he needed to know who had his back and that September 14th at the Philadelphia Art Museum steps at 11am that everyone should come to show their support for Chikara . A link was posted that lead people to a site to fill out their contact information. After about a day, Icarus was telling people via twitter that his account was hacked. People going to the link Icarus posted now encountered a Condor Security logo. People immediately speculated that the last Director of Fun, Wink Vavvaseur and Condor Security were behind it and this was the next step in this Chikara storyline. Yesterday several members of the Chikara forums began receiving phone calls from unaffiliated security personnel urging people to stay away from the Art Museum steps on September 14th. Clearly Chikara's storyline is still progressing.

This Weekend would have been CHIKARA's King of Trios weekend and I so sad it is not.

http://www.kingoftrios.com/

I wonder how much CHIKARA are losing from not doing so many shows. KOT was a rather big one too, so they have to be missing out on a good chunk of money this weekend.

Have any other promotions decided to hold of KOT type event this weekend to try and steal some spotlight?

Recap of today:
    About 25-30 people showed up at the steps and at around noon, Icarus came and greeted us all. He took out a small megaphone and (after a bit of trouble turning it on haha) he made a speech about how one man inspired an entire city at that location (the Rocky steps), and so to will he inspire something something something CHIKARA. Then he handed out a petition to be signed by everyone (just names. no phone numbers, etc.) and handed out I AM CHIKARA t-shirts to everyone who didn’t own one from the first Easton meet-up (more people came than expected so he didn’t have enough shirts). He then said something about how we can make a difference and how our voice is our weapon and handed out slips of paper (not business cards. “I’m on a budget, son” haha) with Wink Vavasseur’s personal email: w.c.vavasseur@titorconglomerate.com. After that, he left, leaving behind a rolled up poster. A girl called out to him saying he forgot his poster and he said back something to the effect of “I don’t need it anymore” or “It’s yours now” or something like that. The poster said “#13Y19T5R9U13P”. Afterwards, people just kinda stood around and hung out.
    ~ xluckis4losersx

http://www.pwponderings.com/2013/09/14/happened-chikara-091413-meet

The hashtag is MysteriumP.

https://twitter.com/MysteriumP

Anybody have any clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

weirdest angle ever.

Watched night one of BOLA the other day and thought it was great. Night two blows it out of the water. Easily one of the best shows of the year for me.

Skimmed Death before Dishonour after that and it didn't even come close. The main event was decent enough but otherwise, what I watched was as average as the card suggested. Didn't watch Wolves vs Hooligans yet as I knew it would be long enough and just want to go to bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Watched night one of BOLA the other day and thought it was great. Night two blows it out of the water. Easily one of the best shows of the year for me.

Skimmed Death before Dishonour after that and it didn't even come close. The main event was decent enough but otherwise, what I watched was as average as the card suggested. Didn't watch Wolves vs Hooligans yet as I knew it would be long enough and just want to go to bed now.

Both nights of BOLA arrived in the post for me today, looking forward to them now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Just watching them myself halfway through night two ACH vs Kyle O'Reilly was great O'Reilly has really stepped up his game in the last year very good in the ring and has come out of his shell a lot.

Advertisement