Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Has anyone noticed if you put a pin on s Health, you can't access it again.

It asks you for the pin but there is no OK/Enter button. Can't believe something like that slipped through QA

Are there still stock issues with these? I'd like to pick up an unlocked one in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Are there still stock issues with these? I'd like to pick up an unlocked one in Dublin...

I got mine in the pavilion's in swords on Sunday not sure if it's unlocked but there was no o2 stuff on it
    how do I check if its unlocked??

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I got mine in the pavilion's in swords on Sunday not sure if it's unlocked but there was no o2 stuff on it
    how do I check if its unlocked??

Insert different sim. If you have bloatware on it, I would say it is locked,

Bought Safe Guard sreen protector in Fonez and it doesn't fit all, its bigger and the cut outs are wrong as well. It looks like its for a different phone. Going to return it tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I was on earlier in the thread asking if anyone had used an otterbox, Griffin or ballistic recently and for their opinions but after reading a few articles i think I'm gonna hold off till mid July and get the S4 Active.

Supposedly gonna be shockproof, dustproof and waterproof.

They're obviously trying to eat into the small bit of the market that the Xperia Z has. Hopefully they won't have to sacrifice any features in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I ordered this along with the screen protectors, haven't received them yet, but I don't want to destroy a €400 phone by not having a case on it, I'll get a proper Otterbox then they are available though.

Saying that, I HATE people that keep their phone on their belt clip, you aren't in the army/police/US, put it in your pocket

Clareman wrote: »
    I ordered this along with the screen protectors, haven't received them yet, but I don't want to destroy a €400 phone by not having a case on it, I'll get a proper Otterbox then they are available though.

Saying that, I HATE people that keep their phone on their belt clip, you aren't in the army/police/US, put it in your pocket

I bought Casemate Barely There transparent one today in CPW. Will use it until I'll get Spigen Slim Armor.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Also bought a Case-Mate Tough most of them had good genuine reviews(looking at you Spigen) also got http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BQG60BK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irwin R. Schyster

Does anyone here work for O2?

Bought the S4 with my mothers upgrade last Thursday. They debited the 495 from my bank account at the time and still haven't sent it or even sent an email to reject or accept the order.

My own fault really, her number wasn't even registered at the time and I proceeded to register it in her name and order the S4 with my name and card (we live at same address) and it looks like this is a problem now (I honestly didn't think it would matter what name/card was used once it was the same family and address).

'She' spoke to live chat on their website and they wouldn't tell her anything and that i had to contact them.
    So since you have to be logged in to use the chat service I will have to ring them myself tomorrow to no doubt be told the order will be cancelled.
    I will then have to wait for my refund, give her the money to lodge to her account and re-order it with her card.
    Absolute farce

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does anyone here work for O2?

Bought the S4 with my mothers upgrade last Thursday. They debited the 495 from my bank account at the time and still haven't sent it or even sent an email to reject or accept the order.

My own fault really, her number wasn't even registered at the time and I proceeded to register it in her name and order the S4 with my name and card (we live at same address) and it looks like this is a problem now (I honestly didn't think it would matter what name/card was used once it was the same family and address).

'She' spoke to live chat on their website and they wouldn't tell her anything and that i had to contact them.
    So since you have to be logged in to use the chat service I will have to ring them myself tomorrow to no doubt be told the order will be cancelled.
    I will then have to wait for my refund, give her the money to lodge to her account and re-order it with her card.
    Absolute farce

Contact the boards reps first, they may be able to dodge that rigmaroll for you.

• Advertisement

Could you guys check if status bar on your phones is transparent? I think on official Vodafone rom it was dark grey, after flashing the unbranded UK BTU is transparent. Can someone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No status bar is solid

Mc Love wrote: »
    No status bar is solid

Transparent
    screenshot2013050821320.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hey guys, quick question if I buy a S4 locked. Can I get it unlocked and if so how much?

kave2 wrote: »
    Could you guys check if status bar on your phones is transparent? I think on official Vodafone rom it was dark grey, after flashing the unbranded UK BTU is transparent. Can someone confirm this?

I remember on the unboxing of the S4, the transparent status bar was pointed out as a new feature.....something that makes the phone integrate even better into being a life companion or something.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Stock launcher has a transparent status bar on mine, it's dark grey when using Nova

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Just wondering what apps ye are using to listen to the radio?

I have downloaded the radios apps but they keep stopping and starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

pinkstars wrote: »
    Just wondering what apps ye are using to listen to the radio?

I have downloaded the radios apps but they keep stopping and starting.
    Download Tunein and go into settings to buffer before playing. It makes it slightly slower to start up but it eradicates most if not all of the stopping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Quazzie wrote: »
    Download Tunein and go into settings to buffer before playing. It makes it slightly slower to start up but it eradicates most if not all of the stopping.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Transparent
    screenshot2013050821320.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kave2, what weather widget are you using on that homescreen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My mate, who as it goes is a Samsung fanboy, got a HTC One on his wifes upgrade and an SGS4 on his own, and is ditching the S4 on adverts. He says the wifi reception in particular and the phone/3G reception to a lesser extent are quite poor, and even though he loves everything else about the phone thats a deal breaker.

Anyone else experiencing the same.

Mr Velo wrote: »

I also want to know this, :D

So I've had this phone for about a week now and i'm really loving it, The battery is really good way better than my old GN.

For me, this device is a lot nicer to hold than the HTC One. But i've noticed a few things.

I checked the internal storage last night and it only had 1GB left :eek: . I realised that all that Dropbox,Google Music and Youtube took up about 3GB because they were caching some videos/music/documents. Which i cleared, It would be great if i could figure out a way to cache them the SD card.

Another thing is, Where are my lock screen widgets, on my old phone i could use them with the lock pattern but Samsung seemed to disable them (I know i can access them with no security). One sneaky thing they did is disable the google music lock screen widget but there own one works just fine. Hrmmm

Inquitus wrote: »
    My mate, who as it goes is a Samsung fanboy, got a HTC One on his wifes upgrade and an SGS4 on his own, and is ditching the S4 on adverts. He says the wifi reception in particular and the phone/3G reception to a lesser extent are quite poor, and even though he loves everything else about the phone thats a deal breaker.

I've had no problem with the WiFi or 3G, in fact i think 3G is faster on this device, WiFi is about the same.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I also want to know this, :D

So I've had this phone for about a week now and i'm really loving it, The battery is really good way better than my old GN.

For me, this device is a lot nicer to hold than the HTC One. But i've noticed a few things.

I checked the internal storage last night and it only had 1GB left :eek: . I realised that all that Dropbox,Google Music and Youtube took up about 3GB because they were caching some videos/music/documents. Which i cleared, It would be great if i could figure out a way to cache them the SD card.

Another thing is, Where are my lock screen widgets, on my old phone i could use them with the lock pattern but Samsung seemed to disable them (I know i can access them with no security). One sneaky thing they did is disable the google music lock screen widget but there own one works just fine. Hrmmm
    Mr Velo wrote: »

It is 1Weather. There you go:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handmark.expressweather&referrer=utm_source%3D1Wwebsite%26utm_medium%3Dweb%26utm_campaign%3D1Wwebsite

I have no issues with Wifi or 3G. Overall very happy, really like the size of the phone(coming from Note 2), it's much more comfortable to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I was on the fence about which phone I was going to go to but after reading through this thread and hearing about people experiences with the phone I'm going to go with the S4 (make sense as going from S2).

Is CPW the cheapest option? With a trade-in I should be looking at around €450. That sound right? I presuming that if buy one thats locked to Vodafone I can request an unlock code from Vodafone or would this be an issue? Sim-free is very important for me.

I was on the fence about which phone I was going to go to but after reading through this thread and hearing about people experiences with the phone I'm going to go with the S4 (make sense as going from S2).

Is CPW the cheapest option? With a trade-in I should be looking at around €450. That sound right? I presuming that if buy one thats locked to Vodafone I can request an unlock code from Vodafone or would this be an issue? Sim-free is very important for me.

450 sounds very reasonable if you ask me, but you'd be losing your older phone. if your ok with that then get it there CPW are much more likely to stock sim free phones.

I've had no experience asking for an unlock code from vodafone so i cant comment there

I got mine in CPW on Vodafone PAYG and it was locked and there was some vodafone bloatware(you can get rid of it easily by flashing unbranded official UK rom). I already requested unlock code, it should take 7-11 days to get it. Here is the link to request NAC code :http://onlineforms.vodafone.ie/nac/

The one on My Vodafone doesn't work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where would be the cheapest to get a decent sized memory card? 32 or 64 gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Where would be the cheapest to get a decent sized memory card? 32 or 64 gig.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQU-064G-U46A-microSDXC-Including-Adapter/dp/B007JTKM30/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368102924&sr=1-1&keywords=64gb+micro+sd

38.xx pound on Amazon. Thats where I got mine

When I bought it, it was 50 pounds so dropped over the couple of months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I've noticed a slightly worse phone signal on the S4 compared to my S3 based on the dodgy reception in my parents kitchen. Data does seem faster than the S3 and Wifi is no different.

Advertisement