Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear an Easter Lily?

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

LordSutch wrote: »
    Your local Sinn Fein office I guess?

There is no Sinn Fein office in carlow or Kilkenny (as far as I can see on their website) are they for sale anywhere else does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

No. Never will wear an Easter Lily!

To wear the Lily for me would be displaying a badge supporting terrorism.

So the purchase of an Easter lily will remain off my shopping list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I do.

Bought one years ago, still looks new.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

You are wrong. It mostly goes to the upkeep of republican graves and memorials such as those in Glasnevin Cemetery.
    Just check who you are buying it off. If it's a dissident crowd then it likely goes to a prisoner fund. Otherwise it's graves and the like.
    If SF are selling it, it's likely going to end up with them.
    If you want your donation to go to upkeep of graves and monuments etc buy them off the National Graves Association.
    They are non-party political.
    I'd wear a Lily but certainly wouldn't buy them off PSF.

Incidentally, Republican prisoners in the North have been warned they'll be faced with solitary confinement if they wear the Lily inside.
    It's an all-Republican wing so there's no question of offence.
    Both prison officers and Loyalist prisoners are allowed to wear the poppy, but the Lily is deemed a criminal offence.
    The Republican prisoners are all going to wear them and will be punished over the next few days.

If SF are selling it, it's likely going to end up with them.
    If you want your donation to go to upkeep of graves and monuments etc buy them off the National Graves Association.
    They are non-party political.
    I'd wear a Lily but certainly wouldn't buy them off PSF.

Incidentally, Republican prisoners in the North have been warned they'll be faced with solitary confinement if they wear the Lily inside.
    It's an all-Republican wing so there's no question of offence.
    Both prison officers and Loyalist prisoners are allowed to wear the poppy, but the Lily is deemed a criminal offence.
    The Republican prisoners are all going to wear them and will be punished over the next few days.

Rules are rules!

PS. Do SF seek or require a permit to sell their Easter Lilly badges in a public place?

• Advertisement

Rules are rules!
    Yes.
    And apparently the rules are...
    The Poppy must be respected and the Lily must be vilified.

Rules are rules!

PS. Do SF seek or require a permit to sell their Easter Lilly badges in a public place?
    Traditionally, they didn't as a badge of civil resistance and as they refused to recognise the State...
    But, I'm sure they do today.

Traditionally, they didn't as a badge of civil resistance and as they refused to recognise the State...
    But, I'm sure they do today.

Interesting, so if the badges are sold by the Gravesides Association, the monies go towards the upkeep of graves in Glasnevin Cemetery.

On the other hand if they are sold by SF , the money raised goes into Party funds. For what?

Interesting, so if the badges are sold by the Gravesides Association, the monies go towards the upkeep of graves in Glasnevin Cemetery.

On the other hand if they are sold by SF , the money raised goes into Party funds. For what?
    Not just Glasnevin.
    There are hundreds of little monuments and plaques up and down the country, in country crossroads and town squares etc.
    I've no idea what PSF do with their money, nor care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

There is no Sinn Fein office in carlow or Kilkenny (as far as I can see on their website) are they for sale anywhere else does anyone know?

NGA website is the best place. Buy an enamel one and you'll have it for years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Rules are rules!

They do get a permit.

Says a lot about where the party is now that they do such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I've no idea what PSF do with their money, nor care.
    Well maybe you should. I do.

Perhaps it is time to wind this annual thread up.

I think it is safe to say that posters will agree to disagree on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Ned Flanders: Well, I guess this is a case where we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Principal Skinner: I don't agree to that.
    Mrs. Krabappel: Neither do I.

Advertisement