Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear an Easter Lily?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Thomas_I wrote: »
    Such days are not to celebrations, more for thinking, listen and remembrance.

Why? I'll celebrate the people who won my freedom, thank you very much. I hold no shame in my heart about the efforts they made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Why? I'll celebrate the people who won my freedom, thank you very much. I hold no shame in my heart about the efforts they made.

Yes, of course, but still imo it´s also a sad thing because without Irelands occupation by the British, these people could have lived on. Some talents among those executed. Aside from that this was the starting point in the way to gain Irish freedom (even for the price of partition) I also think of that. Pearse, Connolly just to mention a few names. I won´t tell any further of my thinking about what could had been (in a wider context) if Dev had not been spared the execution squad, or if Cathal Brugha had not survived the Easter Rising, oh no I won´t tell.

It´s not a matter of holding some shame for what they did, it´s a matter of remembrance - aside from celebration, but that´s just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

So what? That doesn´t makes him a war criminal because that´s the usual thing in wars, killing the enemy. It´s standard by people who oppose Churchill to brand him a racist. I think that such attitudes were quite common among plenty of Europeans at that time in many countries of Europe.

Feel free to name one of those "hundres of thousand of Englishmen and women who are far more worthwhile of the title "the greates Englishman who ever lived" and if you bother to do so, you can also point out their achievements for the common good. Without Churchill you´d be probably speak German as a scond language and serve anywhere in the world for the "Greater German Empire". How´d that be as a prospect to you?

Thats an easy one: Thomas Paine. Easily one of the greatest english people to have lived

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

That time of year again, is it? I don't do poppies or lillies but I have no problem with people that do.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Boyne Standard

Says it was false.

Acknowledges it was true.

Denies reality.

Bing blang blaow - close the internet. :pac:
    They armed themselves against Home Rule, which wasn't a United Ireland anyway. Saying partition only happened because of threats of violence isn't true.

It might upset you that partition and self determination for Protestants in Ulster happened but get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Saying partition only happened because of threats of violence isn't true.

It is true.
    It might upset you that partition and self determination for Protestants in Ulster happened but get over it.

Yup. Cry myself to sleep every night over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

You mean the gerrymandered Six Counties - Ulster has nine counties and has Protestants in all of them. The Brits needed the ports and the ship-building and rigged the "border" to suit the outcome they wanted. They cared not a jot for the people and still don't and would I suspect gladly dump the lot of you into UI given a chance.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Boyne Standard

It is true.
    No it isn't. There was many reasons why it happened. Saying it was down to violence is a nonsense argument. There was many political and economic reasons within the British Empire.
    You mean the gerrymandered Six Counties - Ulster has nine counties and has Protestants in all of them. The Brits needed the ports and the ship-building and rigged the "border" to suit the outcome they wanted. They cared not a jot for the people and still don't and would I suspect gladly dump the lot of you into UI given a chance.
    Self determination might upset you but that is what happened and that is why two separate states exist. Time to get over it. They didn't want to join a state dominated by the Catholic church and highly influenced by the Catholic Church. Having their kids sexually abused and being thrown into slavery.

Self determination

They certainly took the 'self' bit seriously. They might be in a secure state now if they hadn't been quite so 'self motivated' and you should know that by now Keith.

... There was many reasons why it happened. Saying it was down to violence is a nonsense argument. There was many political and economic reasons within the British Empire. ...
    Were Keef, were; use HM the Queen's English.
    ... They didn't want to join a state dominated by the Catholic church and highly influenced by the Catholic Church. ...
    They chose instead to join with a state where the Head of State is the Pope of the Anglican Church and where senior clergy or bishops, as Lords of the Church, get seats in the House of Lords and can influence legislation.

Perfectly logical division of Church and State affairs, completely different to what we do in Ireland, much less confusing. Well done England, well done Keef.
    ... Having their kids sexually abused and being thrown into slavery.
    Once again Keef, use HM the Queen's English. This is not a complete sentence.

I wasn't aware that the sexual abuse of children by members of the Catholic clergy happened or was common knowledge in the early 20th century, but if you say so Keef it must of course be true. When would a true-blue wanna-be Brit bend the truth or lie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mathepac wrote: »
    They chose instead to join with a state where the Head of State is the Pope of the Anglican Church and where senior clergy or bishops, as Lords of the Church, get seats in the House of Lords and can influence legislation.

Perfectly logical division of Church and State affairs, completely different to what we do in Ireland, much less confusing. Well done England, well done Keef.

I wasn't aware that the sexual abuse of children by members of the Catholic clergy happened or was common knowledge in the early 20th century, but if you say so Keef it must of course be true. When would a true-blue wanna-be Brit bend the truth or lie?

Please tell me you aren't trying to do Dick Van Dyke type English accent?

Since when belongs a language to a monarch? :confused: :pac:

Please tell me you aren't trying to do Dick Van Dyke type English accent?
    Gosh no. I can do a range of good accents and even worked undercover on both Eastenders and Emmerdale undetected for years. I started on the Archers but was quickly promoted to TV, sorry "telly", once my rare talent was recognised.

Suffering from PTSD I was pensioned off years ago.
    It's like, a turn of phrase maite, innit. Like the dog's b***** or a dog's dinner or the cat's pyjamas; know wot I mean, eh, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

That term relates to Received Pronunciation. Its a standard of spoken English.
    It makes sure ya talk propa innit...

'Speak the Queen's English' is what some people say in place of 'speak properly'.

Gosh no. I can do a range of good accents and even worked undercover on both Eastenders and Emmerdale undetected for years. I started on the Archers but was quickly promoted to TV, sorry "telly", once my rare talent was recognised.

It's like, a turn of phrase maite, innit. Like the dog's b***** or a dog's dinner or the cat's pyjamas; know wot I mean, eh, innit?

I just wanted to be sure to be sure what in the name of jaysus you do ne talking about, so.

Now I do, shure, tis grand so.

Top o da mornin to ya!

They chose instead to join with a state where the Head of State is the Pope of the Anglican Church and where senior clergy or bishops, as Lords of the Church, get seats in the House of Lords and can influence legislation...

I doubt she'd use the term Pope :)

You can say 1 thing about 'The Lords Spiritual'as they are known in the UK and that is at least they are in plain sight and not (as The Catholic Church in Ireland was) pulling the strings in secret and generally repressing / making daily life in Ireland crap as they did...

As with all other Peers (Lords) any Power they might wield is limited by Parliament.

Wen ze seeguells folleau ze trawleur, eet iz becuese zey think sardeens will be threun into ze see.

Soap TV

Sorry for that.

Yes, yes.

I doubt she'd use the term Pope :) ...
    Sure we'll let her, the job is up for grabs anyway. She can send in her CV and prepare to leave the old job to Charlie before he expires.
    ... at least they are in plain sight and not (as The Catholic Church in Ireland was) pulling the strings in secret and generally repressing / making daily life in Ireland crap as they did....
    But maybe dey done de boat a' dem, as Keef or Fratton_Fred might say

• Advertisement

Sure we'll let her, the job is up for grabs anyway. She can send in her CV and prepare to leave the old job to Charlie before he expires.

She has all the garb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I'm suprised how well this thread is going. I was afraid it might have descended into insults before now.

She'd need the funny hat and I think he has more dresses...

Sure we'll let her, the job is up for grabs anyway.

Really! I don't know though, the pay isn't as good and she'd have to keep us Catholics in line and keep an eye on Enda and Co...

:)

Really! I don't know though, the pay isn't as good and she'd have to keep us Catholics in line and keep an eye on Enda and Co...

:)

The monarchy has been keeping 'Catholics in line' for many centuries now.

Very true. Sounds like HMQ is a shoe-in for the job. She just needs to swap the crown for the pointy hat

But maybe dey done de boat a' dem, as Keef or Fratton_Fred might say

Deadly.

... I think he has more dresses...
    Frocks, bad priests used to get de-frocked wheres as good ones got re-frocked. The bad ones were told "Get the frock outta here, pronto".

As for Lizzie, she'd be on'y scarle', scarle' I'm telling yiz, if annie a' her fellahs wore a nicer frock dan her at de openin' a' Parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Can anyone tell me where I can buy an Easter lily in carlow or Kilkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Your local Sinn Fein office I guess?

Advertisement