Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, rules of the road, a bit of cop on!

Options

Comments

They DO break lights at busy pedestrian crossings and weave in and out of pedestrian traffic, scaring the sh*t out of people as they do it. If you don't believe me, stand at the corner of George's St / Dame St on a busy weekday morning and watch for about 10 minutes. I have literally never seen a cyclist stop at the red light on this junction, and it makes life a living hell for anyone trying to walk that way.

Anecdote.

It's pointless having this argument. I cycle that route every day and I see cyclists from the ultra law-abiding stop-at-everything to the downright ignorant. I've never seen anything dangerous, and i've never seen anyone going through a 'living hell'.

I mean really. A few cyclists in a city swarming with cars makes your life a 'living hell'? You've 'literally never' seen a cyclist stop at those lights?

I don't believe you.

Link to a few articles about the serious incidents that must have occurred at this spot. I mean, if life is a 'living hell' then there must have been a few. Or is it a magic sort of 'living hell' in which nobody ever gets hurt? In which case, you need to see the world a bit my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Giblet wrote: »
    Cyclists don't really give two ****s about pedestrians, and regularly break the lights, and shout when they nearly smack into the side of me when I have the green man. Happens nearly daily at this stage. Although, I have worse experience with drivers at a certain traffic light near my office. Grrr grr.

Pedestrians are no saints either. The worst damage that's happened to my bike was when I had to drop it because some wan stepped straight off a footpath onto the cycle lane, about 4' in front of me. I had a choice of drop the bike, hit her, or swerve and hope I didn't get killed by a car.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd hit her, it might have taught her to use a pedestrian crossing next time, and I could have landed on her instead of on the tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

seamus wrote: »
    Prone to exaggeration much? "Living hell"?

No. It's an absolute nightmare. I saw a man's dog get badly run over by a cyclist there once and helped him bring it to the vet. Cyclist didn't even bother stopping to apologise. We had a green man and this asshole had plenty of time to see the red light.
    I rode through that junction every day for two years and while it's exceptionally bad for this behaviour, I stopped every time and so did a number of other cyclists. So when you say you've never seen a cyclist stop here, I suspect you mean you've never noticed a cyclist stop here. Because they do.

No. This is such a pet hate of mine that I make a point of watching it every morning on my way up to college and in all honesty every single day I see cyclists break that light, I honestly have never seen one slow down and stop while approaching it. Ever. And I do make a point of checking.
    It's also worth noting that light-breaking at this junction is rampant by vehicles and pedestrians too. It's an issue with the size and poor flow at this junction and lack of enforcement. Not an issue of cyclists.

Inconvenience an lack of enforcement do not excuse breaking the law. And while I have (rarely) seen cars break these lights when they're just barely changed, I've never seen one brazenly sail through them when they've been red for ages and the driver had plenty of time to slow down. I see cyclists do this every single day.

There should be an on the spot fine every time this happens. It's not just a matter of irritation it's a matter of safety at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jester252 wrote: »
    No I saying people are people regradless how they get about. If the second guy wasn't there I would have been left with a sour view of cyclists.

I know, it was in jest.

This is such a pet hate of mine that I make a point of watching it every morning on my way up to college and in all honesty every single day I see cyclists break that light, I honestly have never seen one slow down and stop while approaching it. Ever. And I do make a point of checking.

Keep up the good work. Ireland needs more like you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Quote: Originally Posted by awec
    There is no such thing as road tax ffs.

Quote: Originally Posted by super_furry
    What's road tax?

Quote: Originally Posted by kylith
    It's motor tax, not road tax. Show me where the motor on a pushbike is.

Quote: Originally Posted by Logical_Bear
    retarded post is retarded...its a motor tax by the way sheesh

Quote: Originally Posted by gobnaitolunacy
    It's called 'Motor Tax' NOT 'Road Tax'.

It's officially titled "Motor Tax", but road tax is a perfectly valid description for what it actually is - a tax for using the public roads. I can have a car and not need to pay this tax, until I decide to drive it on the road. The exemption of certain classes of road users doesn't alter that.

The revenue itself refers to road tax - "A vehicle must be registered before it can be licensed for road tax purposes" (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/index.html).

Road tax was renamed to Motor Tax by the government to suit an agenda, but its purpose as a means to pillage the driver hasn't changed.

I wonder if the smug pedants on this thread are as likely to jump up and down when people use commonly used phrases such as "Old Age Pension" or their "PRSI Number", which are also no longer official titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

No. This is such a pet hate of mine that I make a point of watching it every morning on my way up to college and in all honesty every single day I see cyclists break that light, I honestly have never seen one slow down and stop while approaching it. Ever. And I do make a point of checking.

Your small window of observation does not conclusive evidence make.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Ah. You mean cyclists in the extreme left hand lane heading down church street don't stop for Brunswick Street traffic turning right. Yes, some of them don't.

They aren't getting in anyone's way and I don't see the problem. Personally I wouldn't do it myself but it's hardly a big issue. Which is probably why you've never seen any of them get hit.

They are, the motorist coming from North Brunswick street mainly take left to North King St. lucky nobody's got hit so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Inconvenience an lack of enforcement do not excuse breaking the law.
    I didn't excuse it, simply explaining why it occurs. If you don't enforce laws, people will break them. Simple. If this issue grates on you so much, then you need to engage the law enforcers.
    And while I have (rarely) seen cars break these lights when they're just barely changed, I've never seen one brazenly sail through them when they've been red for ages and the driver had plenty of time to slow down.
    I see this all the time, especially at that set of lights, but also at most sets of lights. Drivers brazenly sailing through amber lights, speeding up to "catch" the light well after it's turned red.

The only reason more drivers don't do this is because once the guy at the front stops, everyone has to.
    There should be an on the spot fine every time this happens. It's not just a matter of irritation it's a matter of safety at this stage.
    There's that enforcement thing again. I agree, it would be great if the existing laws could be enforced in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JayConlon91

Cienciano wrote: »
    The cyclists can go and pay some road tax before they start complaining

so a child or young teen should pay road tax on their bikes so they can ride them?? listen to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's your excuse for breaking pedestrian lights on empty roads?

Now apply it to cyclists breaking lights on empty roads.

Cyclists don't break lights on busy roads and cycle out into traffic. Or at least the number who do are vanishingly small. If they did, we would have hundreds of dead cyclists every year. We don't.

I wish it was true. One of the most common bad moves by a cyclist is to move out into traffic. A parked car in a cycle lane usually means the cyclist moves around it without looking behind them or indicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

animaal wrote: »
    It's officially titled "Motor Tax", but road tax is a perfectly valid description for what it actually is - a tax for using the public roads. I can have a car and not need to pay this tax, until I decide to drive it on the road.

This is incorrect. You are required to register a vehicle if you intend to drive it, even if you don't intend to drive it on the road. If you don't your vehicle can be seized after 30 days. All this is sourced from the website you posted, although it's probably not enforced much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Right, Cyclists are pricks, Drivers are pricks and the OP is a bollix.

Now that's out of the way, why do a lot of cyclists break red lights?

I really don't get it. If i'm driving a car there is no way i'll jump a red light incase i get smashed out of it. Do these cyclists not care about what would happen if they were hit?

(Not saying all cyclists, just a few)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

BostonB wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes. But you could have killed him.

Maybe they don't know the rules either.

The only thing I do agree with you, is the cyclist was probably going too fast. While he should have seen you, you should have seen him.

When you calm down, theres lessons to be learnt here. Thats what to take from this.

134 Replies, many by cyclists yet only one can identify this plain simple fact.
    Everybody on the road has a duty of care to themselves as well and his includes adjusting your speed to suit the conditions. Yellow box, red lights, entrance to a petrol station tells me to be careful.
    imtdub wrote: »

Used to stay have a place in the old distillery apts just there. Had almost the same situation there where a cyclist cruised inside stopped traffic and through the red light as I was pulling out - and then glared at me!
    but no doubt, it would have been my fault too I suppose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cungi wrote: »
    Right, Cyclists are pricks, Drivers are pricks and the OP is a bollix.

Now that's out of the way, why do a lot of cyclists break red lights?

I really don't get it. If i'm driving a car there is no way i'll jump a red light incase i get smashed out of it. Do these cyclists not care about what would happen if they were hit?

(Not saying all cyclists, just a few)
    Same reason that pedestrians cross even when the pedestrian lights are red;

Because nobody stops them from doing it, and because they don't believe it's dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

seamus wrote: »
    ... because they don't believe it's dangerous.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.
    This type of person (whether it's a pedestrian, cyclist, airline pilot whatever) will be in for a nasty shock some day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wish it was true. One of the most common bad moves by a cyclist is to move out into traffic. A parked car in a cycle lane usually means the cyclist moves around it without looking behind them or indicating.

Sticking your hand out is easy, and hopefully drivers will pay attention, but looking behind you will cause you to drift in that direction, except that now you're looking behind you and you can't see what's in front of you so could wind up both drifting out into traffic and crashing into whatever you're trying to avoid.

Cars parked in cycle lanes are a menace to all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Something similar happened to me last week except I was the cyclist. The driver passed me then pulled across in front of me to go into the petrol station. Slammed my breaks on and just missed hitting the car.
    I did shout at him and he said " I didn't see you, you should be wearing a hi via jacket"

I have a light on my bag, bike and my peddles light up when cycling. I have mirrors on my bike too. It was also bright enough for no lights. Yet the guy tried to blame me!

It took restraint not to damage his car or him.

My personal hate about drivers is they don't stop and creep out onto roads. As a cyclist you can never be sure they see you. Often they are creeping into cycle lanes and I have to pull around them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cungi wrote: »
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.
    This type of person (whether it's a pedestrian, cyclist, airline pilot whatever) will be in for a nasty shock some day

Statistically they probably won't. Well not from this anyway. Which is why they get away with it. As they get away with it more often, they do it more. Applies to a lot of things in life/human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The cyclists can go and pay some road tax before they start complaining

No such thing as "road tax", it's Motor Tax.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

cyclists are ****, motorists are even worse. Worst of all are those prick pedestrians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The cross-forum response time of the Cycling Rapid Reaction Force is becoming increasingly impressive.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

The fact that you tried to put the blame on the cyclist for your dangerous driving OP makes it clear that the cyclist was completely right in shouting at you, you might pay attention next time you pull across a lane that's being used by cyclists.

I'd have shouted at you too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Drove to work this morning in rush hour as i had to take the car to the a mechanic. The road was over run with cyclists, some in business wear, lycra or simple hi vise, weaving in out and around buses and do you know what.... it was great to see.

Kinda got me thinking if the whole road was mostly cyclists how brilliantly mad twould be!

Also OP was completely in the wrong, cyclist could have gone straight into his windscreen. Instead of giving out he should taken the licence number and reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I am a cyclist in Dublin and I have to say they are ARSEHOLES. about 80% of them saunter through red lights without a care in the world, it's a disgrace and it gives cyclists a bad rep. I make sure I make a point of stopping at all the red lights but most others cycle right past me.

So I decided that any time a cyclist goes by me and through a red light I shout out 'Red light!!' - this usually embarrasses them to stop at the next set of lights or they just shout out something stupid which I get a kick out of too.

The f*cking IRONY of some of them who wear RSA high-vis jackets and go through the red lights is sickening! I almost hope some of them get a clip of a car to serve them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

kylith wrote: »
    Sticking your hand out is easy, and hopefully drivers will pay attention, but looking behind you will cause you to drift in that direction, except that now you're looking behind you and you can't see what's in front of you so could wind up both drifting out into traffic and crashing into whatever you're trying to avoid.

Cars parked in cycle lanes are a menace to all road users.

That's just rubbish. You should take a glance behind you well in advance of whatever you're approaching, and pick the best time to pull out. If you can't manage a glance over your shoulder without sailing out into traffic, you should stick the bike up on ebay, and walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Another anti-cyclist thread? *yawns*

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Used to stay have a place in the old distillery apts just there. Had almost the same situation there where a cyclist cruised inside stopped traffic and through the red light as I was pulling out - and then glared at me!
    but no doubt, it would have been my fault too I suppose :rolleyes:

yep I get the eye balls too when I point the red-light as if to say WTF we do this every day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

....business wear, lycra or simple hi vise,

Cyclists wearing only a hi-vis? Whatever next

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the point is everyone has blind spots. In traffic especially you often can't predict things that far in front, so you have to adjust your speed accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement