Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, rules of the road, a bit of cop on!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm not exaggerating, I have NEVER seen a cyclist stop when those lights are red. Bastards.
    Why do you think these bastards do this? Have you any theories? Have you ever cycled yourself, or have any friends or family who have every cycled. If so did you also turn into a bastard? Did your family or friends turn into bastards? Did you change back once off the saddle?

-Did you get an urge to break the law and somehow overcome it? If so please share how you overcame this? maybe you can try and help others overcome this seemingly rife mental problem caused by these magical contraptions.

Has anybody found the same effect with exercise bicycles at home? or seen it in gyms -suddenly find the urge for unlawful out of character antisocial behaviour? perhaps the leg motion is effecting the bloodflow to the brain or something and causing this bizarre behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

bad motorists far outweigh bad cyclists! check out the m50, morons everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Irishcrx wrote: »

' Look at the cars around you and anticipate the most stupid thing they could do....then expect them to do it'

Thats pretty much the same rule i live by too! :D

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yep.

What is more dangerous - the acceleration to get through the orange/just gone red light in a car, or a cyclist establishing that his or her way is clear and then breaking a light?

Most cyclists break red lights the same way pedestrians do. They have to take that approach, otherwise they would be dead. This seems to infuriate motorists largely because they can't do it themselves.

I drive and cycle in Dublin and whilst there's plenty of annoying cyclists out there, they aren't going to kill me when I'm driving. The reverse isn't true. Anyone who cycles has to be constantly on guard against motorists behaving like idiots.
    If only that was true. 2 closest times I came to an accident was a cyclist sailing through a red light at a cross road. They mightn't kill you in a car, but I was on a motorcycle, would definitely have come off if I didn't manage to slam on and swerve.
    Best thing to do is to just stop at red lights on your bike. It's not that hard, and there's zero excuse not to.
    I cycle, drive a car and a motorbike btw, I know what it's like on all modes of transport. Only reds I went through were pedestrian lights on empty roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

shed head wrote: »
    bad motorists far outweigh bad cyclists! check out the m50, morons everywhere!

Pretty stupid analogy. Show me a road with hundreds/thousands of cyclists and I am sure there would be a lot of stupid ones.

Idiots are everywhere, their mode of transport is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I can't believe no one has mentioned that cyclists don't even pay road tax! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Funkfield wrote: »
    I can't believe no one has mentioned that cyclists don't even pay road tax! :confused:

Thats right cos No one does!;)

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Cienciano wrote: »
    If only that was true. 2 closest times I came to an accident was a cyclist sailing through a red light at a cross road. They mightn't kill you in a car, but I was on a motorcycle, would definitely have come off if I didn't manage to slam on and swerve.
    Best thing to do is to just stop at red lights on your bike. It's not that hard, and there's zero excuse not to.
    I cycle, drive a car and a motorbike btw, I know what it's like on all modes of transport. Only reds I went through were pedestrian lights on empty roads.

What's your excuse for breaking pedestrian lights on empty roads?

Now apply it to cyclists breaking lights on empty roads.

Cyclists don't break lights on busy roads and cycle out into traffic. Or at least the number who do are vanishingly small. If they did, we would have hundreds of dead cyclists every year. We don't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cyclists don't break lights on busy roads and cycle out into traffic. Or at least the number who do are vanishingly small.
    They break lights daily at the junction of Georges Street and Dame Street. It's just that the lights they're always breaking are just for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Sounds like the OP is in the wrong. similar thing happened to my Auntie as a cyclist and she got pretty hurt.
    What I can't stand about cyclists is when they drive through a pedestrian crossing when the pedestrians are on green, that is so dangerous and makes me so angry! I hate when cyclists think they can break red lights and in my experience a lot of them do.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    They break lights daily at the junction of Georges Street and Dame Street. It's just that the lights they're always breaking are just for pedestrians.

I actually cycle along that route every day and know the lights you are talking about.

Myself and the vast majority of cyclists don't break those lights if pedestrians are crossing. However, too many cyclists DO. One is too many in that situation IMHO.

However when the pedestrian crossing is clear a lot of cyclists (including myself) do break those lights and then filter in with the traffic turning right at the bottom of georges street (a lot of them taking that turn illegally of course, but let's not get into that). You have to watch taxis moving across to the kerb though, so I normally don't risk it if there's any traffic at all.

Funnily enough I was stopping at that pedestrian crossing just last week, still about 5 metres behind the crossing but some bloke who clearly felt it was his god given right to walk across diagonally (ie in the middle of the road and nowhere near the crossing) started giving out to me for being in his way. For some reason cyclists do set some people off. I am not sure why. I guess like Osama Bin Laden they hate our freedoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I actually cycle along that route every day and know the lights you are talking about.

Myself and the vast majority of cyclists don't break those lights if pedestrians are crossing. However, too many cyclists DO. One is too many in that situation IMHO.

However when the pedestrian crossing is clear a lot of cyclists (including myself) do break those lights and then filter in with the traffic turning right at the bottom of georges street (a lot of them taking that turn illegally of course, but let's not get into that). You have to watch taxis moving across to the kerb though, so I normally don't risk it if there's any traffic at all.

Funnily enough I was stopping at that pedestrian crossing just last week, still about 5 metres behind the crossing but some bloke who clearly felt it was his god given right to walk across diagonally (ie in the middle of the road and nowhere near the crossing) started giving out to me for being in his way. For some reason cyclists do set some people off. I am not sure why. I guess like Osama Bin Laden they hate our freedoms.

I do also hate it when people crosss the road at the wrong place and then give out cause your on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

ixoy wrote: »

They also break lights every day on the North Brunswick St/Upper Church St "T Junction" just off North King Street, They feckin have no respect for other motorists.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.ZGU&biw=1440&bih=775&q=north+king+street&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48670c298790c09f:0x4d45023696c26bba,North+King+St&gl=ie&sa=X&ei=1LsTUbrfMsyHhQeWnYHYAg&ved=0CIQBELYD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

srumball wrote: »
    No car user had the intention of goin out an causing an accident, purposely breaking lights, road signs etc. But cyclists do ALL the time.
    I was once crossing at a zebra crossing when some moron refused to stop and drove into me. Not fast enough to injure me, but it was like he was nudging me out of his way. I had to run onto the path. I then looked back at the driver and he was sitting in the car with a big moronic grin on his face. My jeans had a black mark from where his bumper hit my leg.

There's another pedestrian crossing here where I push the button, wait for the green man to light up, start to cross the road and hope and pray that drivers stop. Most of the time I have to jump back up on the footpath.

imtdub wrote: »
    They also break lights every day on the North Brunswick St/Upper Church St "T Junction" just off North King Street, They feckin have no respect for other motorists.

lol I cycle through there most days as well.

And in this instance, sorry, this is just untrue. Only a fool would cycle out into four lanes of traffic. I've never seen anyone do it. I'm sure the odd person breaks the lights when the road is clear, but I don't understand how that indicates a lack of respect for motorists (there aren't any around if that is the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Cyclists are a ****ing menace. Crossing O'Connell st at the spire last week, lights go green for pedestrians to cross, so they start crossing. A cyclist who obviously didnt give even the briefest of sh!ts for the whole red/green light thing, just comes absolutely barreling down the street, right through the entire crowd of pedestrians, didnt slow down for a second, came within centimetres of absolutely creaming some young woman, and just kept right on cycling, not even a look behind him or a shouted 'sorry' over his pig ignorant ****headed shoulder.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Sounds like the OP is in the wrong. similar thing happened to my Auntie as a cyclist and she got pretty hurt.
    What I can't stand about cyclists is when they drive through a pedestrian crossing when the pedestrians are on green, that is so dangerous and makes me so angry! I hate when cyclists think they can break red lights and in my experience a lot of them do.

The amount of pig sh!t thick drivers on the road is unreal! they dont seem to grasp that a cyclist dose not have a steel shell weighing a ton around them! cutting up bike riders squeezing riders out at roundabouts and junctions its a disgrace!

I personaly have a case where i was hit from behind at a T junction while stoped. the driver claimed i was at fault but had plenty of witness on my side, i have plates and pins in my legs and arms damaged my back amd 34 stiches in my face and head. She had her car parked on top of me and still claimed it was my fault! on the phone at the time of the crash and never seen me!

So the good news she finaly told the truth and claimed she didnt see me at all, the quality of my life has been ruined due to a driver not watching the road.

Now i drive my self and agree some bike riders are twats but are far out weighed by bad aggresive drivers woh enjoy putting riders in danger!

Bad on both sides of the coin and pretty sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

srumball wrote: »
    guess im just still angry at the way he reacted hitting the car and abusing my gf.
    beans wrote: »
    ...The cyclist shouldn't have shouted at you,...

no he should, myself and many others have done it, people need learning being angry helps them to remember it better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Cyclists don't really give two ****s about pedestrians, and regularly break the lights, and shout when they nearly smack into the side of me when I have the green man. Happens nearly daily at this stage. Although, I have worse experience with drivers at a certain traffic light near my office. Grrr grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

lol I cycle through there most days as well.

And in this instance, sorry, this is just untrue. Only a fool would cycle out into four lanes of traffic. I've never seen anyone do it. I'm sure the odd person breaks the lights when the road is clear, but I don't understand how that indicates a lack of respect for motorists (there aren't any around if that is the case).

It's not a Laughing matter, I live there and use the road every day, when the lights go red for motorists on Church street and green for North Brunswick st motorists, the cyclists using the cycle lane going towards Lower Church Street hardly ever stop and I'm sure somebody will feckin knock them over, then only they'll learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was once crossing at a zebra crossing when some moron refused to stop and drove into me. Not fast enough to injure me, but it was like he was nudging me out of his way. I had to run onto the path. I then looked back at the driver and he was sitting in the car with a big moronic grin on his face. My jeans had a black mark from where his bumper hit my leg.

You should have thrown yourself across the bonnet & 'accidentally' broke the wipers off.

Same thing happened to a guy I know & he turned and kicked the wing mirror off yer mans car.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Giblet wrote: »
    Pedestrians don't really give two ****s about cyclists, and regularly break the lights, and shout when they nearly smack into the side of me when I have the green light. Happens daily at this stage. Although, I have worse experience with drivers at a certain traffic light near my office. Grrr grr.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I got hit by a cyclists while I was crossing at a green man and he was on the wrong side of the road. He lost his **** at me over it and demanded that I pay for his bike. Luckly another cyclist saw the whole thing and backed me up and he picked up his bike and waited for a lift at the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jester252 wrote: »
    I got hit by a cyclists while I was crossing at a green man and he was on the wrong side of the road. He lost his **** at me over it and demanded that I pay for his bike. Luckly another cyclist saw the whole thing and backed me up and he picked up his bike and waited for a lift at the side of the road.

So what you're saying here is that cyclists are very helpful and responsible when they see someone in a spot of bother.

imtdub wrote: »
    It's not a Laughing matter, I live there and use the road every day, when the lights go red for motorists on Church street and green for North Brunswick st motorists, the cyclists using the cycle lane going towards Lower Church Street hardly ever stop and I'm sure somebody will feckin knock them over, then only they'll learn.

Ah. You mean cyclists in the extreme left hand lane heading down church street don't stop for Brunswick Street traffic turning right. Yes, some of them don't.

They aren't getting in anyone's way and I don't see the problem. Personally I wouldn't do it myself but it's hardly a big issue. Which is probably why you've never seen any of them get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Jester252 wrote: »

and did you sue for any injuries you received ?

I see we've reached the 'a mate of mine' stage of the thread.

Perhaps those regaling us with all these anecdotes about incredibly dangerous cyclists can let us know the statistics for death and serious injury caused by cyclists? I mean, this is obviously a massive issue. The numbers will put it in perspective.

Whenever you're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Orinoco wrote: »

What's your excuse for breaking pedestrian lights on empty roads?

Now apply it to cyclists breaking lights on empty roads.

Cyclists don't break lights on busy roads and cycle out into traffic. Or at least the number who do are vanishingly small. If they did, we would have hundreds of dead cyclists every year. We don't.

They DO break lights at busy pedestrian crossings and weave in and out of pedestrian traffic, scaring the sh*t out of people as they do it. If you don't believe me, stand at the corner of George's St / Dame St on a busy weekday morning and watch for about 10 minutes. I have literally never seen a cyclist stop at the red light on this junction, and it makes life a living hell for anyone trying to walk that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

ThisRegard wrote: »

So what you're saying here is that cyclists are very helpful and responsible when they see someone in a spot of bother.
    No I saying people are people regradless how they get about. If the second guy wasn't there I would have been left with a sour view of cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have literally never seen a cyclist stop at the red light on this junction, and it makes life a living hell for anyone trying to walk that way.
    Prone to exaggeration much? "Living hell"?

I rode through that junction every day for two years and while it's exceptionally bad for this behaviour, I stopped every time and so did a number of other cyclists. So when you say you've never seen a cyclist stop here, I suspect you mean you've never noticed a cyclist stop here. Because they do.

It's also worth noting that light-breaking at this junction is rampant by vehicles and pedestrians too. It's an issue with the size and poor flow at this junction and lack of enforcement. Not an issue of cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement