Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So I downloaded Mass Effect 1 for the PS3 yesterday and had a try at it tonight.

Cut scenes and dialogue are very good but the gameplay - omg - I take back everything I ever said about ME2/ME3 single player gameplay being brutally boring.

The gameplay in ME1 (and I admit I am still on Eden Pime) is the worst I have experienced on this generation of consoles.

You barely any onscreen indication of when something is damaging you - no real recoil. It is very poor.

I shall persist of course - I wanna play it for the story/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

noodler wrote: »
    So I downloaded Mass Effect 1 for the PS3 yesterday and had a try at it tonight.

Cut scenes and dialogue are very good but the gameplay - omg - I take back everything I ever said about ME2/ME3 single player gameplay being brutally boring.

The gameplay in ME1 (and I admit I am still on Eden Pime) is the worst I have experienced on this generation of consoles.

You barely any onscreen indication of when something is damaging you - no real recoil. It is very poor.

I wouldn't want ME1 any other way :-)
    I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I shall persist of course - I wanna play it for the story/

It's usually like that when you go back through iterations of a series of games.

To say it's unrefined is a serious understatement.

It's ok once you get used to it. Not great but enough to tolerate for the sake of the story.

It would've been some cracker if the gameplay was as polished as ME2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

got my first solo gold done today. Decided i'd record the second one for the laugh and do it on a level 18 batarian soldier with some super consumables :)

if ye have 40 minutes to piss away, here it is :D

That snowy blizzrad effect is completely absent on the PS3 version!

Christ - makes it look amazing.

• Advertisement

what does the hazzard look like on the ps3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

got my first solo gold done today. Decided i'd record the second one for the laugh and do it on a level 18 batarian soldier with some super consumables :)

nice job, soloing collectors is a pain in the ass

what does the hazzard look like on the ps3?

FBW (the map in your vid right?) has no wind, snow or chill effects on PS3.

Unless this is something they have added to the Multi recently?

FBW (the map in your vid right?) has no wind, snow or chill effects on PS3.

Unless this is something they have added to the Multi recently?

Theres a hazzard variety of the map, shows up every 2 or 3 weeks, came with the retaliation mp dlc.

Theres a hazzard variety of the map, shows up every 2 or 3 weeks, came with the retaliation mp dlc.

Oh, never noticed.

(or haven't been playing enough lately).

Cheers, I thought the PC version had extra features for a minute there.

• Advertisement

Firebase reactor has a great hazzard, the central chamber which houses the reactor has a heat gauge on it, when it reaches critical you can lock off the chamber, trapping anything or anyone, teammates included inside while the reactor purges the heat. It effectively kills off lower mobs like husks, abominations, troopers etc.. but it works just as well with players :D

ye can imagine the amount of griefing that goes on there, comical :)

ye can imagine the amount of griefing that goes on there, comical :)

its safer to avoid that room with pugs, unless your a fury... teleport through the door :cool:

Glaciers hazzard is nuts though, swarm of collector bugs, pretty much eat everything alive and move around the map after players... it doesn't end there however... If the swarm is shot too much, it overcharges and instead of taking up a tiny section of a room... it expands in size, taking up half a room... with higher damage, eats non collector enemies too though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seeing that solo run makes me want to try (and fail miserably) it myself. Might give it a shot tonight.

Just at Virmire now in ME1.

For any PS3 owners thinking of buying this game I would just like to make a personal recommendation that you do NOT do any sidequests.

They are awful - awful beyond words. It is the same level (or two) in almost every sideques. No unique dialogue, just slightly different skins on the enemies/worlds, they all end with a paragraph of text (instead of a CGI or audio sequences) and you have to drive the Mako over huge swaths of land to reach these horrible levels.

I personally wish I had just done the main missions straight off and totally feel like the side missions added practically nothing to the game but were the worst kind of padding.

The main missions have been interesting though as was 'Bring Down the Sky'.

Ahh Virmire, prepare to have your guts wrenched :)

The only problem with skipping the side quests is that you miss things in the later games. They are usually only small things, but i loved seeing minor characters from the 1st and 2nd game in my playthrough of the last game.

Just finished my final playthrough again. First time completing it with the extended cut dlc, and it definitely improves it. Still massively flawed, but no where near as bad as it was.
    Went for the Destroy option, even though i kind of wish i went for Control. Having EDI and the Geth killed off just sucks. Control, even though i was angry at the Illusive Man for constantly trying it, seems like the best for everyone. No one dies, the galaxy gets a huge tech boost, and has an army of super powerful peace-keepers. What's not to like?

Still though, fantastic series. Definitely one of my all time favourites.
    Also...

Hold the line! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

Loved Mass Effect 1 & 2, detest Mass Effect 3, trying to hard to be a Hollywood blockbuster action game, it's generic, it's banal, to me it's not Mass Effect.

Ash will die. Wrex will live.

It has been ordained for quite a while.

God, the hold your line speech was terrible. The dialogue of the non-major cast in ME1 (and even some major cast) is absolutely awful.

If I hear "enemies are everywhere" or "I will destroy you" one more time I might smash the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just at Virmire now in ME1.

For any PS3 owners thinking of buying this game I would just like to make a personal recommendation that you do NOT do any sidequests.

They are awful - awful beyond words. It is the same level (or two) in almost every sideques. No unique dialogue, just slightly different skins on the enemies/worlds, they all end with a paragraph of text (instead of a CGI or audio sequences) and you have to drive the Mako over huge swaths of land to reach these horrible levels.

I personally wish I had just done the main missions straight off and totally feel like the side missions added practically nothing to the game but were the worst kind of padding.

The main missions have been interesting though as was 'Bring Down the Sky'.
    They really are, I'm currently playing through number 1 and I'm doing all the sidequests but that's just because I'm kind of a completionist on some games. Different coloured planets with 2 or 3 types of buildings with 2 sets of interiors. Poor stuff. But otherwise, I'm enjoying the game, although the inventory system is a bit clunky.
    If I hear "enemies are everywhere" or "I will destroy you" one more time I might smash the controller.

I'm seriously sick of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

How are the elevators on the PS3 version lads?
    I loved those in ME1 but its soundtrack was amazing.
    Might even pick up the trilogy on the PS3 so I can convince my brothers to play it.

• Advertisement

Loved Mass Effect 1 & 2, detest Mass Effect 3, trying to hard to be a Hollywood blockbuster action game, it's generic, it's banal, to me it's not Mass Effect.

So ye wont be buying mass effect 4 then?

31543096.jpg

Also, it was a hollywood blockbuster action game, even without trying, and so were the original and me2, have a look at the cast on imdb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839558/ me3
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540125/ me2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073668/ mass effect

J. Marston wrote: »
    They really are, I'm currently playing through number 1 and I'm doing all the sidequests but that's just because I'm kind of a completionist on some games. Different coloured planets with 2 or 3 types of buildings with 2 sets of interiors. Poor stuff. But otherwise, I'm enjoying the game, although the inventory system is a bit clunky.

I'm seriously sick of that one.

Chuffed there is someone else!

I am a little concerned now that I have missed Wrex's armour mission because I have started Virmire.

I did Garrus' mission but do the rest of the squad have personal missions as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Chuffed there is someone else!

I am a little concerned now that I have missed Wrex's armour mission because I have started Virmire.

I did Garrus' mission but do the rest of the squad have personal missions as well?

I don't think Tali has a mission, but there is something that you get for her pilgrimage by hacking a Geth terminal on some random planet. I've done Wrex and Garrus' missions, I don't think Liara has a mission and I'm not sure about Kaidan and Ashley.

So ye wont be buying mass effect 4 then?

31543096.jpg

Also, it was a hollywood blockbuster action game, even without trying, and so were the original and me2, have a look at the cast on imdb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839558/ me3
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540125/ me2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073668/ mass effect

I meant in the same vein as Gears of War, it was trying to hard to be an all out action game, the loss of control over Shepard in Mass Effect 3 was the final straw, the auto-dialogue is horrible, it's only occasionally that you get a dialogue prompt, the majority of the game it's all ambient, that's what separated Mass Effect from the rest, the ability to mould Shepard into hpw you saw fit, be nice to this guy, be an ass to another etc etc.

It didn't feel like Mass Effect, more like Gears of Effect of AWESOME SET PIECES!!!

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't think Tali has a mission, but there is something that you get for her pilgrimage by hacking a Geth terminal on some random planet. I've done Wrex and Garrus' missions, I don't think Liara has a mission and I'm not sure about Kaidan and Ashley.

the terminal is on therum...

I meant in the same vein as Gears of War, it was trying to hard to be an all out action game, the loss of control over Shepard in Mass Effect 3 was the final straw, the auto-dialogue is horrible, it's only occasionally that you get a dialogue prompt, the majority of the game it's all ambient, that's what separated Mass Effect from the rest, the ability to mould Shepard into hpw you saw fit, be nice to this guy, be an ass to another etc etc.

It didn't feel like Mass Effect, more like Gears of Effect of AWESOME SET PIECES!!!

Did ye play it through to the end?

When did you not get to control what Sheppard said in ME3? I just completed it, and i had as much of a chance to change the dialogue as the other games. There were less 'click left to be bad, click right to be good' moments, but that wasn't so bad.

Kiith wrote: »
    When did you not get to control what Sheppard said in ME3? I just completed it, and i had as much of a chance to change the dialogue as the other games. There were less 'click left to be bad, click right to be good' moments, but that wasn't so bad.

that happens when you choose action only in the rpg settings, just why you would do that is beyond me, you miss far too much of the game.

Did ye play it through to the end?

I did, and whilst the ending was terrible, pre extended cut, it was the least of it's short comings in my eyes.
    Kiith wrote: »

Not true at all. In Mass Effect 1 & 2 you controlled everything Shepard said, you could also be neutral in regards to responses, example, the dialogue wheel pops up and you have a top right, middle right and lower right option, in Mass Effect 3 you get two options most of the the time (top right of the wheel and lower right of the wheel) and most of the time you don't even get a prompt!it's just Shepard rambling off without any input at all, how people missed that after playing ME 1 and/or 2 is beyond me, it's what made Mass Effect, Mass Effect.

The Shepard I made in Mass Effect 1, then imported to Mass Effect 2, was gone in ME 3, took over by the canon Shepard BioWare designed. It took me a second playthrough to realize all it's short comings.

No doubt it had some great moments like Tuchanka, ahhh Mordin :'( or Garrus, the man date on the Citadel, but it's bad moments far outweigh the good, for me anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I did, and whilst the ending was terrible, pre extended cut, it was the least of it's short comings in my eyes.

Not true at all. In Mass Effect 1 & 2 you controlled everything Shepard said, you could also be neutral in regards to responses, example, the dialogue wheel pops up and you have a top right, middle right and lower right option, in Mass Effect 3 you get two options most of the the time (top right of the wheel and lower right of the wheel) and most of the time you don't even get a prompt!it's just Shepard rambling off without any input at all, how people missed that after playing ME 1 and/or 2 is beyond me, it's what made Mass Effect, Mass Effect.

The Shepard I made in Mass Effect 1, then imported to Mass Effect 2, was gone in ME 3, took over by the canon Shepard BioWare designed. It took me a second playthrough to realize all it's short comings.

No doubt it had some great moments like Tuchanka, ahhh Mordin :'( or Garrus, the man date on the Citadel, but it's bad moments far outweigh the good, for me anyways.
    Have to say, I didn't have the same issues you did, I had control over practically everything Shepard said

Advertisement