Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... probably no heater plug light on the dash of the yoke in Galway so :)
    I wouldn't expect it to be there :).

By the way, I was wondering - is that Benz an original Diesel engined one with a speedometer cluster replaced... or a petrol yoke with a Diesel engine transplanted?

Well, you guess :pac:.

1992 Mercedes Benz

BODY TYPE Saloon
    FUEL TYPE Petrol
    COLOUR Black
    TRANSMISSION Unknown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Seweryn wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect it to be there :).

By the way, I was wondering - is that Benz an original Diesel engined one with a speedometer cluster replaced... or a petrol yoke with a Diesel engine transplanted?

Well, you guess :pac:.

1992 Mercedes Benz

BODY TYPE Saloon
    FUEL TYPE Petrol
    COLOUR Black
    TRANSMISSION Unknown

Either it was converted recently or it has a fake NCT....

The other thing I was looking at was the chrome strip on one wing and none on the other

Definitely a rubbish find :o

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Either it was converted recently or it has a fake NCT....

The other thing I was looking at was the chrome strip on one wing and none on the other
    Guys in NCT Centre would test the car as a Diesel engined, regardless of whatever is stated in the Vehicle Registration Document, so it makes no difference to them.

The chrome wheel arches are a very bad idea from either aesthetic or technical point of view. I have no idea why people put them on.
    dgt wrote: »
    Definitely a rubbish find :o
    Rather below average and not worth buying IMO and I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

However, if you want a W124 Diesel, buy one that left the factory with a Diesel engine in the first place ;). Converting a petrol one is a job for someone who knows what he is doing. It is not a simple matter of throwing in an engine and wiring it up. There are hundreds of bits and bobs that should be changed, i.e. gearbox, radiator, front suspension (springs), rear suspension springs, rear differential, drive shafts (sometimes), wiring looms, speedometer (complete cluster), ignition barrel and controls, sound proofing mats under the bonnet and above the transmission, engine mounts (due to the different vibration damping characteristics), etc. In a car like this it is all plug and play job and can be done, but I have never seen one done half properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Saab Ed wrote: »

cheap because the nct is near out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Civic 1.4 with 3 months test and tax for €350

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4316423

Guys in NCT Centre would test the car as a Diesel engined, regardless of whatever is stated in the Vehicle Registration Document, so it makes no difference to them.

The chrome wheel arches are a very bad idea from either aesthetic or technical point of view. I have no idea why people put them on.

Rather below average and not worth buying IMO and I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

However, if you want a W124 Diesel, buy one that left the factory with a Diesel engine in the first place ;). Converting a petrol one is a job for someone who knows what he is doing. It is not a simple matter of throwing in an engine and wiring it up. There are hundreds of bits and bobs that should be changed, i.e. gearbox, radiator, front suspension (springs), rear suspension springs, rear differential, drive shafts (sometimes), wiring looms, speedometer (complete cluster), ignition barrel and controls, sound proofing mats under the bonnet and above the transmission, engine mounts (due to the different vibration damping characteristics), etc. In a car like this it is all plug and play job and can be done, but I have never seen one done half properly.

Twas unsure of this, I always understood it was tested as in accordance to what was on the VLC.... Must look more into it :)

I viewed a W126 a few months ago, a 500SE with a 307 engine inserted, 2L on book. Car was in a garage for ages, it's prob still there. Only reason I didn't snap it was the shoddy crash repair it had received. Otherwise it could have been my daily driver :eek:

Oblig car, I'll try another diesel Merc :)

NCT till June, 1350

Full-16276047.jpeg

• Advertisement

Wonder whats wrong with it !!!!!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4316639

View2-16297046.jpeg

/\ probably the head gasket >>>> SCRAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Saab Hot Aero with NCT til April.

250bhp for only €850, not bad. Pity about the lack of pics.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4315078

: )

Col200sx wrote: »
    Saab Hot Aero with NCT til April.

250bhp for only €850, not bad. Pity about the lack of pics.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4315078

: )

he seems to have a certain market in mind, but I'm not sure it'd make it to Poland / Latvia as suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I get the impression that that Aero has been a bit neglected. Couldn't even clean it for the advert.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    he seems to have a certain market in mind, but I'm not sure it'd make it to Poland / Latvia as suggested
    Pointless bringing a car like this over there anyway ;).

Pointless bringing a car like this over there anyway ;).

yep, this is more suitable for export to that area for the gents in their string body vests.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3892284

View2-14209284.jpeg

yep, this is more suitable for export to that area for the gents in their string body vests.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3892284
    Better ;). But, as these barges are getting less popular and that one being a petrol model, you won't make any money on it (when breaking it for spares), even if you bought it for half the asking. The only M-B cars to export over there are cheap CDI engined ones. At least the (unreliable) engine is worth something plus it usually is attached to an automatic transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Not sure about Poland, but in Latvia there is no chance get it registered , as it is right hand drive car, .

cheapest 9-5 is around €700 quid.

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Not sure about Poland, but in Latvia there is no chance get it registered , as it is right hand drive car, .
    Yep, that is the point or lack of it actually. And Poland is the same, i.e. the car has only value in spare parts (very little though).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yep, that is the point or lack of it actually. And Poland is the same.....

....Mmm, curiouser and curiouser......the RHD Polish plated A4 floating about this area......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭maidhc

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4316611

View2?id=16298077

C250TD with the rare manual box, single tank conversion (I assume), a history and NCT for the bones of 12 months.

Can't go too far wrong I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

/\ probably the head gasket >>>> SCRAP

how did you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

not exactly beyond the realms on the 1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

NCT out but a good solid 3 months tax left on it. I assume theres something badly amiss with it or otherwise hes giving it away @ €299

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4312636

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....Mmm, curiouser and curiouser......the RHD Polish plated* A4 floating about this area......
    Sure, it is possible, exactly the way you said :D.

*You can stick any number plates to a car and drive it.

i said probably, and if its not the HG, its something else fatal to render the car scrap value!

NCT till July, 1100

Taxed till July too (albeit PSV)
    Full-16305822.jpeg

NCT till July, 900

Taxed till May
    Full-16181881.jpeg

• Advertisement

i said probably, and if its not the HG, its something else fatal to render the car scrap value!

Indeed, oil guzzling and ran dry maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement