Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

jerryqu wrote: »
    I was driving a HGV east on the N73 out of Mitchelstown when i passed a gosafe van which was cleverly masked until the last minute by an overhanging tree.
    Because of the long down slope I had inadvertently coasted up to 90Kph - 10 Kph over the HGVs ordinary speed limit of 80kph.
    My question is can the gosafe equipment automatically tell the difference between cars and lorries or does the MK I eyeball inside need to manually snap HGVs as they pass by the van?
    - I can hardly sleep wondering..

The system inside the van can auto recognize hgv's by their length.

If a vehicle passes over the speed limit and the system determines that it is over x metres in lenght, it is classed as a hgv or car with trailer, both which have lower speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

pa990 wrote: »

If a vehicle passes over the speed limit and the system determines that it is over x metres in lenght, it is classed as a hgv or car with trailer, both which have lower speed limits.

Are you for real???

What about limousines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Usual rubbish from the pro camera mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Or the pro-rubbish mob, perhaps.

I presume a limousine is easily recognisable, because of the Hen Party/Junior Cert/Holy Communion gang shrieking out of its windows...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Or the pro-rubbish mob, perhaps.

I presume a limousine is easily recognisable, because of the Hen Party/Junior Cert/Holy Communion gang shrieking out of its windows...

What about busses then?
    On some roads they have different limits than trucks.

Also minibuses might be exactly the same size as vans, but different speed limits apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Truck we have at work is a HGV and is slightly shorter than a large LWB van, how does that work ?

The operator makes the decision to enforce. It is then up to you to fight city hall.

Truck we have at work is a HGV and is slightly shorter than a large LWB van, how does that work ?

Simple.. It doesn't work on vehicle length.

Number plate database has vehicle type in it, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

CiniO wrote: »
    Simple.. It doesn't work on vehicle length.

Number plate database has vehicle type in it, I assume.

Ofc and i know it works on mass not length hence the question :p

Ofc and i know it works on mass not length hence the question :p

What works on mass?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I see the Gardai have a new purpose built lay by on the N1,just before Whitehall Church.

Road goes from 60kph to 50kph.

really.

Here's what the MultaNova C user manual says, its the same for the AGD340

@Our Man In Havana.. maybe you should find out how these operate before you bash someone who knows the facts, and not bits of info gleamed from various websites.
    Length has nowt to do with speed limits. It is weight.

Also your post is borderline abusive. First and only warning.

Does anyone know where you can get a speed camera calibration cert for the garda speed camera vans???

paddy147 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get a speed camera calibration cert for the garda speed camera vans???

you can make a garry doyle order in court, but there is no legal requirement for them to be calibrated or for them to be proved accurate

you can make a garry doyle order in court, but there is no legal requirement for them to be calibrated or for them to be proved accurate

Why??

Surely they have to be tested and calibrated on a regular basis??

The garda fines office in tipperary advize you on the phone to ask for a copy of the speed camera calibration cert when in court.

This is Ireland and the Gardaí are never wrong.

Why??

Surely they have to be tested and calibrated on a regular basis??

The garda fines office in tipperary advize you on the phone to ask for a copy of the speed camera calibration cert when in court.

they are all kept calibrated, and reminders are sent from teletraffic when a device is due a calibration.

There is a Statuary Instrument that states that the state does not have to prove the accuracy of the device (i cant find it right now)

The defendant can call the accuracy into question and get the certs thru a Gary Doyle order.

they are all kept calibrated, and reminders are sent from teletraffic when a device is due a calibration.

There is a Statuary Instrument that states that the state does not have to prove the accuracy of the device (i cant find it right now)

So a person has no right to ask for the calibration cert in court,and the gardai/judge can basicly say Fcuk off aswell???

Surely if a machine needs to be calibrated then there is a legal obligation to provide proof of calibration,if the person caught speeding requests it in court??

The state don't have to show it as proof in their case. Something the superior courts have not ruled on yet.

There is nothing stopping a defendant from asking for a Gary Doyle on the cert. A judge is highly unlikely to refuse it.
    http://www.dppireland.ie/filestore/documents/Chapter_9_Disclosure.htm

• Advertisement

Here's the legal bit

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0105.html

(b) the onus of establishing that speed prima facie may be discharged by tendering evidence of indications from which that speed can be inferred which were given by a watch or electronic or other apparatus, and it shall not be necessary to prove that the watch or electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order.

unfair .. but true

Can I ask about the Legal placement of a garda speed detection camera van and it being parked "up and in on a grass verge" by a dual carriageway??

Red arrow where theres a grass verge and a solid yellow line.

Would that be classed as illegal parking??

It don't matter as the agents of the state are exempt from parking laws whilst executing their duties.

It don't matter as the agents of the state are exempt from parking laws whilst executing their duties.

Even if it means hiding behind a wall too,I suppose?:rolleyes:

Saving lives me hole...entrapment more like.

Even if it means hiding behind a wall too,I suppose?:rolleyes:

Saving lives me hole...entrapment more like.

entrap |enˈtrap|
    verb ( -trapped , -trapping ) [ trans. ]
    catch (someone or something) in or as in a trap : she was entrapped by family expectations.
    • trick or deceive (someone), esp. by inducing them to commit a crime in order to secure their prosecution.
    DERIVATIVES
    entrapment noun
    entrapper noun
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from Old French entraper, from en- ‘in’ + trappe ‘a trap.’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Looks like removable magnetic signs on that van.

svan.jpg

Yep. They have a few vans like that. Most of the time they operate totally unmarked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I see the Gardai have a new purpose built lay by on the N1,just before Whitehall Church.

Road goes from 60kph to 50kph.

50 km/h is an appropriate speed limit, as far as I can see. Apart from the entrance to the church itself, there's also a bus lane, a pedestrian crossing in the vicinity, and a busy junction further on.

There may also have been a fatal crash in that area a while back, but I can't find any record of it.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    50 km/h is an appropriate speed limit, as far as I can see. Apart from the entrance to the church itself, there's also a bus lane, a pedestrian crossing in the vicinity, and a busy junction further on.

There may also have been a fatal crash in that area a while back, but I can't find any record of it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/legal/truck-accidents/two-people-die-in-road-accident/
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012

• Advertisement

That new garda speed van lay by has been there for around 1 month now (beginning of September).

There was a technical issue with where they were hiding further up the road behind the wall,where the 80kph zone suddenly drops to 60kph in a matter of yards.

So they decided to move on down the road and built that lay by instead.

Advertisement