Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Tough look lads, you werent at the races at all today but no shame in it, think the donegals are the real deal and would fancy them to give the Jackeens a good beating in the final, theres always next year,

I am fully expecting Mayo to defeat Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stinicker wrote: »
    I am fully expecting Mayo to defeat Dublin.

Just read your pm.....you really are one of a kind.....and not in a good way, I won't be replying to it btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A change in management is a must now. We need to utilize the capabilities that we have better. I felt we got the tactics wrong today - starting with 7 forwards, not having Murphy in the corner was just wrong. We had no impact sub when we needed it. Some players didn't perform as well as we would have liked but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A change in management is a must now. We need to utilize the capabilities that we have better. I felt we got the tactics wrong today - starting with 7 forwards, not having Murphy in the corner was just wrong. We had no impact sub when we needed it. Some players didn't perform as well as we would have liked but such is life.

I was there today and the game reminded me of the 2009 All Ireland final. Surprised with some of Corks decision making on the field and the inability of Cork players to pick a good pass to another player. Dont know how Counihan prepaired his team for todays game but id like to see a change after todays result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Just read your pm.....you really are one of a kind.....and not in a good way, I won't be replying to it btw.

It was actually originally composed by your county compatriot teednab-el and sent to me after Donegal beat Kerry. I've just changed the word Kerry to Cork, made a few grammatical corrections and sent it out to all my fellow Cork buddies. :pac: I bet there wasn't as many Cork people shouting for Donegal today as there was three weeks ago! :eek:

• Advertisement

It was actually originally composed by your county compatriot teednab-el and sent to me after Donegal beat Kerry. I've just changed the word Kerry to Cork, made a few grammatical corrections and sent it out to all my fellow Cork buddies. :pac: I bet there wasn't as many Cork people shouting for Donegal today as there was three weeks ago! :eek:

Why send it others? That's just infantile in the extreme.....but if the cap fits!

There was probably as many Kerry folk shouting for Donegal today as there was Cork folk shouting for Donegal 3 weeks ago- not exactly a revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I never got it. What did it say?

teednab-el wrote: »

That the stinicker fella is a closet rebel and wants to come out....I think he should stay where he is as he's not really wanted around these parts:pac:

That the stinicker fella is a closet rebel and wants to come out....I think he should stay where he is as he's not really wanted around these parts:pac:

He secretly loves Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

As a football fan I was disappointed with Cork today. Its easy to blame Counihan but some of the decision making on the field was poor and unlike this Cork team in fairness to them. The service to Donnacha O'Connor was poor and when Cork were playing well they were to slow to get the ball the ball to him and the inside players or they had to come too far away from scoring area to do any damage.

There were also a few important decisions went against Cork in the first half. Kerrigan I felt was foulded twice and on one occasion a free was given against him while at the other end a free was given against Shields and these decisions caused a 3 point difference in the scores. A free was awarde against Sheehan (I think) for a throw ball when he clearly struck it with his hand. These decisions while small at the time all add up to drain a team and I think this told against Cork who semed drained at times. Yet there was only 2 points in it at the end. Cork were very good in the first half and got some great scores.

In fairnes to Donegal they have some shape about them this year and I would say (as Dub) they are favourite for All-Ireland. (I hope they read this too). Murphy McFadden, McBrearty are deadly when they get a chance and they can bring on 4 or 5 lads who can score also.

I think that Cork team will be back next year

• Advertisement

Still didnt get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Who do people think will call it a day? Is there many young players coming along? There seems to be very few from the Under 21 winning teams of 07 and 09

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

lala88 wrote: »
    Who do people think will call it a day? Is there many young players coming along? There seems to be very few from the Under 21 winning teams of 07 and 09

Possibly Canty, he has been through a lot and looked shattered on Yesterday, a great player but has possibly given all he can, owes nothing to the game. Have to say that the Cork management team have been fantastic in defeat, great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Galroy_Tech

This is PRICELESS

Cork fan talks about Donegal fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mnBUPCgRg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Ballymartle hurling goes from strength to strength after they won their Senior hurling championship quarter final today against a fancied Na Piarsaigh team 1-17 to 0-17. Sarsfields won their 4th round game against Blackrock very easily,Sars are a team fancied by many to go all the way this year.

Treble20 wrote: »
    Ballymartle hurling goes from strength to strength after they won their Senior hurling championship quarter final today against a fancied Na Piarsaigh team 1-17 to 0-17. Sarsfields won their 4th round game against Blackrock very easily,Sars are a team fancied by many to go all the way this year.

Was going to say how easily Sars won, something like a 24 point victory I heard. They blow hot and cold too often for my liking, today was hot though!!

Fair dues to Ballymartle, a super win for them. For years they were a great Intermediate side but since they have come up they have proven themselves to be of a very good standard, year in year out.

SHC Bishopstown beat douglas while CIT are 0-15 v 0-05 up against the Barrs at ht

CIT 1-26 v 1-12 Barrs

The CIT team are a fine outfit. If they can keep that team together, they will be very hard side to beat. Thought the Barrs would give them a fine game, evidently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

CIT 1-26 v 1-12 Barrs

The CIT team are a fine outfit. If they can keep that team together, they will be very hard side to beat. Thought the Barrs would give them a fine game, evidently not.

Barrs wouldn't beat the CIT freshers side. Same with the Glen,Rockies. VV sad to see these once great hurling institutions wither away. Give it 10 yrs and they might not be one senior side left in the city.

Barrs wouldn't beat the CIT freshers side. Same with the Glen,Rockies. VV sad to see these once great hurling institutions wither away. Give it 10 yrs and they might not be one senior side left in the city.

That's a very pessimistic and incorrect outlook imho.

All going down!! -Barrs. Na Piarsaigh. Glen. Bishopstown. Blackrock. Douglas - and nobody to come up aswell of course! Laughable.

• Advertisement

That's a very pessimistic and incorrect outlook imho.

All going down!! -Barrs. Na Piarsaigh. Glen. Bishopstown. Blackrock. Douglas - and nobody to come up aswell of course! Laughable.

The trend is all one way since the early eighties. Do you really think they can turn it around? It would have been laughable to suggest to Tomas Mul in 89 after his quip about the long wait that the Glen would 23 yrs without a title. Laughable that the Barrs could go the guts of 20 yrs without a senior/minor titleLook at the sad case of the Rockies. Cleaning up at underage yet simply cannot produce the quality adult hurler. TBH i just can't see how the city can turn around hurling at this stage given the decline has been so monumental.

The trend is all one way since the early eighties. Do you really think they can turn it around? It would have been laughable to suggest to Tomas Mul in 89 after his quip about the long wait that the Glen would 23 yrs without a title. Laughable that the Barrs could go the guts of 20 yrs without a senior/minor titleLook at the sad case of the Rockies. Cleaning up at underage yet simply cannot produce the quality adult hurler. TBH i just can't see how the city can turn around hurling at this stage given the decline has been so monumental.

You said there mightn't be 1 senior hurling team in the city in 10 yrs - that's nonsesne.

You are now talking about the lack of titles won by the city teams - which one is it? And Piarsaighs won it only 8 yrs ago, Blackrock won it 3 times in the last 12 or so years.99, 01, 02

City teams have won something like about 75 titles out of 102, yet they might all be intermediate in 10 yrs:rolleyes:

Things run in cycles, the city teams won't all get relegated and they will win titles in years to come - make no mistake about it.

You said there mightn't be 1 senior hurling team in the city in 10 yrs - that's nonsesne.

You are now talking about the lack of titles won by the city teams - which one is it? And Piarsaighs won it only 8 yrs ago, Blackrock won it 3 times in the last 12 or so years.99, 01, 02

City teams have won something like about 75 titles out of 102, yet they might all be intermediate in 10 yrs:rolleyes:

Things run in cycles, the city teams won't all get relegated and they will win titles in years to come - make no mistake about it.

Cycles? Chr1st, next you'll be sprouting scutter about mushrooms!:eek: I dont see what City clubs have won in the past, the far distant past in most cases, has to with the future. The standard has gone downhill since the early 80s and everything points to this trend to continue. As for relegation I fully expect the Glen to go sooner rather than later with the state of underage within the club. The Barrs is a football club with a hurling tradition. Douglas/Bishoptown likewise. None have snowballs chance in hell of winning a senior county in the next decade and are at best v limited senior hurling sides. Would relegation be a real surprise? Rockies/Piarsaigh best two underage sides in Cork but deparately need to turn that into senior club players, should be ok. Only realistic chance of senior success in the long term

Cycles? Chr1st, next you'll be sprouting scutter about mushrooms!:eek: I dont see what City clubs have won in the past, the far distant past in most cases, has to with the future. The standard has gone downhill since the early 80s and everything points to this trend to continue. As for relegation I fully expect the Glen to go sooner rather than later with the state of underage within the club. The Barrs is a football club with a hurling tradition. Douglas/Bishoptown likewise. None have snowballs chance in hell of winning a senior county in the next decade and are at best v limited senior hurling sides. Would relegation be a real surprise? Rockies/Piarsaigh best two underage sides in Cork but deparately need to turn that into senior club players, should be ok. Only realistic chance of senior success in the long term

You don't see what the past has to do with the future? 3/4 of the county titles were won by city teams - yet according to you - in 10 yrs there mightn't be 1 of them left in the senior championship.:eek:

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I think you are wrong though.

The standard of city hurling has gone down, but it will come back.
    Even with the standard lowering, the glen were in the final only 2 years ago.
    Come back in 10 yrs time to see who's right ;)

Surely they would be more know as a hurling club?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

lala88 wrote: »
    Surely they would be more know as a hurling club?
    Yeah most people would regard them as a hurling club. Club honors would also back this up.

25 senior hurling titles as apposed to 8 football

Indie. wrote: »
    Yeah most people would regard them as a hurling club. Club honors would also back this up.

25 senior hurling titles as apposed to 8 football

Plus most of there well know players would be hurlers before footballers

The Barrs are like the intercounty teams. Good at both, but much greater succcess in the hurling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Cork, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Cork, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.

rebelgaa.com or the official Cork GAA website is your best bet

I noticed you posted in a number of other threads on here - best place is the Irish Examiner GAA supplement on a Monday, always has loads of results!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement