Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Stock eMobile S3 and "no update available" this morning.

Currently on I9300XXALF2.

I'm on stock Emobile too and I got it. Must be a phased rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Anyone using custom roms on this? I had checkrom on it last night until this morning but the music player was sluggish and the camera would kind of reset every now and then. Also my nfc option disappeared in settings. I think I'm going to stick with rooted stock and just install any mods I need separately

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Guys, i have an issue with MMS - I simply can't receive them. I usually get an SMS saying that I need to log in to vodafone.ie/MMS to view, and my password is xxxxxx. When I go to log in, I can't.

Also, regardless of which browser I use, there is vodafone branding on any website I view.. looks the early mobile-specific webpages from the early '00's..

Has anyone else on vodafone experienced this? I'm pretty sure my apn settings are good (i haven't touched them), it's just confusing me..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 July2012

I need help with my Samsung SII. Since receiving a text at the w/end from Portugal, each time I receive a text it now asks if I wish to "accept" or "I do not accept this" if I choose the latter, the next message states The message will vanish from your inbox. Please can anyone shed some light how I get rid of this, My network maintain it's a Samsung problem & they want to charge for advise.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

are you roaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 July2012

No based in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hmm, that's odd. Although I never received the previous update.

I don't have the brightness slider in notifications.
    statto25 wrote: »

Hmm, that's odd. Although I never received the previous update.

I don't have the brightness slider in notifications.

I had to update with Kies to upgrade the firmware version with the brightness slider. You probably need to do that first and then you will receive the OTA update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Cheers statto, tried that alright but no luck.

New update from KIES out, just installing now and will try again.

Edit: No joy - just added a screenshot.
    I had to update with Kies to upgrade the firmware version with the brightness slider. You probably need to do that first and then you will receive the OTA update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

July2012 wrote: »
    No based in Ireland.

i see, sounded like it might have been a cost saving item in case you got charged for receiving messages while roaming.

however, it seems its a vodafone child lock type app - www.vodafone.ie/download?id=SAFETYNET
    What Safety Net Mobile Manager can do
    • Blocks selected or all voice calls.
    • Blocks selected or all SMS and MMS messages.
    • Blocks calls from ‘private’ numbers or unidentified calls.
    • Disables Bluetooth.
    • Disables the camera.
    • Disables internet access and WiFi
    Provides an optional ‘I do not accept this message’ response which
    sends an unwanted message to an archive on the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Anyone using custom roms on this? I had checkrom on it last night until this morning but the music player was sluggish and the camera would kind of reset every now and then. Also my nfc option disappeared in settings. I think I'm going to stick with rooted stock and just install any mods I need separately

Using Omega 9.1 here with absolutely no problems. Stock kernel installed and very happy with the battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Has anyone found a fix for the home screen redraw issue (other than changing launcher)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

zarquon wrote: »
    Using Omega 9.1 here with absolutely no problems. Stock kernel installed and very happy with the battery life

Might give this a whirl later, seems to be popular on xda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

zarquon wrote: »

Same for me & have no complaints, Omega 8.1 was the first ROM I installed when I got the S3 and haven't budged since apart from upgrading to the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

plys wrote: »

Also, regardless of which browser I use, there is vodafone branding on any website I view.. looks the early mobile-specific webpages from the early '00's..

Has anyone else on vodafone experienced this? I'm pretty sure my apn settings are good (i haven't touched them), it's just confusing me..
    I had the same problem on a nokia n8.
    I used the n8 on meteor with no problems but as soon as i swicthed to vodafone i had the problems you described
    I reckon its a vodafone network thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Has anyone used the skygo app yet?
    I used it at home today on wifi and it worked perfect but when i tried to use it away from home on 3G it wont work. It keeps telling me to check settings and enable streaming on 3G

Edit:- i was looking in the phone settings. Found it in the skygo in app settings.

But now it keeps stalling. Such a long wait for sucha buggy app :-(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Has anyone used the skygo app yet?
    I used it at home today on wifi and it worked perfect but when i tried to use it away from home on 3G it wont work. It keeps telling me to check settings and enable streaming on 3G

Edit:- i was looking in the phone settings. Found it in the skygo in app settings.

But now it keeps stalling. Such a long wait for sucha buggy app :-(

I've been using it on 3G and Wireless without any major issues..

One thing it does do , about 1 in 5 starts the app hangs on the initial loading screen and I have to manually kill the app to get going again..

It's ok - Not sure I'll use it very much after the next few days when the initial novelty wears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

OREGATO wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd share, I managed to install the stock ICS keyboard following instructions from here, very simple!

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-gt-i9300-stock-android-4-0-ics-keyboard-101630/

I actually prefer it much more than the stock Samsung keyboard, much easier to use! Hope this helps some of you! :)

Thanks very much. The Samsung keyboard is a nightmare.

How safe are non-standard keyboards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"Samsung has disabled an advanced search function in an update to the international version of its flagship Galaxy S3 smartphone, following a patent dispute with Apple"

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18980115

does it mean that quickdroid [1] will be killed as well?

[1] https://code.google.com/p/quickdroid/

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

i guess anything that relies on it will either have to reinstall it itself, or whatever..
    either way im gonna hold off on this update for the time being at least.
    i guess its time to go with custom roms if this is the way things are going :S

rediculous how you can patent something like that. searching multiple things at once, rather than just individually.. simple concept just a speedier method of searching...pfft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Pj! wrote: »
    Thanks very much. The Samsung keyboard is a nightmare.

How safe are non-standard keyboards?

If you're referring to the link I put up, that's the stock ICS keyboard so it should be good enough, a few days on and I find it is perfect for me.

Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

PrzemoF wrote: »
    "Samsung has disabled an advanced search function in an update to the international version of its flagship Galaxy S3 smartphone, following a patent dispute with Apple"

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/26/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-universal-search-function-reinstated/

Will prob be back here too.
    After being unceremoniously stripped in a recent OTA update, Samsung has told TechRadar that the Galaxy S III's universal search function will return -- at least in the UK. A spokesperson for Samsung said that the "inadvertent removal" will be remedied in the "correct software upgrade" over the next few days. It sends a mixed message on why the feature was removed in the first place -- and makes us wonder whether the search box will ever return to the Sprint iteration any time soon. Still, it's good news for anyone that's having trouble keeping tabs on all those Angry Birds iterations. Gotta finish 'em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes..agree with the comments about the Samsung's keyboard. I have the tablet and it's fine but on the s3 it's a pain in the arse.

Brilliant phone but the keyboard on the HTC sensation was much better.

...and no I wouldn't swap back for the HTC..way too buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

Does anyone know if the SGS3 will be available in Ireland in different colours? Just saw this unboxing of a red one and it looks deadly I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZTlhK25JGY&feature=g-u-u

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

PrzemoF wrote: »

Samsung just undone the last update, just updated and local search returns :-)

Got another firmware update this morning? Seems to reinstate the search function according to the interwebs.

pedatron wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the SGS3 will be available in Ireland in different colours? Just saw this unboxing of a red one and it looks deadly I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZTlhK25JGY&feature=g-u-u

Red is exclusive to one carrier in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I did not like the stock ICS keyboard either but the swiftkey 3 app is amazing. It spells the words while you type and also auto corrects spelling pretty much perfectly. Have a look at the demo on youtube.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I did not like the stock ICS keyboard either but the swiftkey 3 app is amazing. It spells the words while you type and also auto corrects spelling pretty much perfectly. Have a look at the demo on youtube.

+1 on Swiftkey, worth the few bob :) Been using it for a long while now and have tried numerous keyboards in between including swype and touchpal etc... nothing was as good imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

fionny wrote: »
    Red is exclusive to one carrier in the US.

Pity! Thanks! Not too gone on the white of blue colours tbh! Might wait for a bit longer to see if any operator gets a decent colour exclusive! Wishful thinking on my behalf I suppose!

Advertisement