Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There's that blind optimism that Cubs fans are known for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jacoby Ellsbury bats leadoff tonight....

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watched the Franchise this week, a documentary about the Giants
    Was ok, some good storylines in it

Wouldn't be on the same level as HBO's Hard Knocks in my opinion

But worth watching, I'm going to check out this years season with the Marlins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cubs starting to surge!

Whats with MLB website blocking highlights, wrap, previews and just about all worthwile content?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Cubs starting to surge!

Whats with MLB website blocking highlights, wrap, previews and just about all worthwile content?

They tweeted last night that there was a problem with both their main servers. I reckon its probably tied into that. They hope to have it resolved soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Benimar wrote: »
    They tweeted last night that there was a problem with both their main servers. I reckon its probably tied into that. They hope to have it resolved soon.

Yeah MLB.TV had problems last night as well, all tied in I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Yeah MLB.TV had problems last night as well, all tied in I suppose

They're offering a 40% discount in the shop to make up for it now.

Mets season slowly going down the tube now. 5 losses in a row and with 2 tough match ups left in the series against Washington (and Batista pitching Saturday) it looks like they could be below .500 for the first time in ages by the weekend.

Last night's loss was another tough one. Blowing a save in both the 9th and 10th innings and losing on a wild pitch has gotta be up there with one of the worst ways to lose a game.

Unfortunately for me, my internal body clock is messed up and I always seem to wake up at between 2:30-3:00 in the morning when games are reaching the end. I always seek a look at the phone and check the scores and if it's a close game I'll put on MLB.TV so I was so annoyed when that one ended i couldn't get back to sleep. Lucky my wife's a heavy sleeper (although I do stick on the headphones). Anyone else find themselves subconsciously waking up in the middle of the night when you're team is playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Unfortunately for me, my internal body clock is messed up and I always seem to wake up at between 2:30-3:00 in the morning when games are reaching the end. I always seek a look at the phone and check the scores and if it's a close game I'll put on MLB.TV so I was so annoyed when that one ended i couldn't get back to sleep. Lucky my wife's a heavy sleeper (although I do stick on the headphones). Anyone else find themselves subconsciously waking up in the middle of the night when you're team is playing?

Just watch the Mariners instead :cool:

Just watch the Mariners instead :cool:

The joys of following a west coast team eh?

• Advertisement

There's nothing quite like it. Just when you think your day is all done...yay...a 4+ hour baseball game where your team will fail to hit and lose 1-0 in extra innings.

Trivia time: The Mariners lead the Majors with 238 runs scored on the road, but are last with 126 runs scored at home :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

A's on at 7:30 tonight :D Hicks hits his first homerun for the win as well.

Brilliant fielding by Coco Crisp. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23135687&c_id=oak&partnerId=aw-5817089348399236228-1039

Here we go, White Sox at Fenway Park to finish up a four game set, hopefully the Red Sox win with the return of Pedroia on the back of a great win yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Went to Yankee stadium on Tuesday night to see CC return. I'm not sure if anyone saw it but he was pretty good for someone off for three weeks, and in that heat (it was HOT). Tickets are very reasonable too.

That Red Sox / White Sox series was a great one to watch. Ellsbury, Crawford back in the lineup, Pedroia back for the last game yesterday, Youkilis back at Fenway and Cody Ross absolutely killing it, finishing up with a walk off home run last night :D

Also was the first time I have ever seen Umpires Interference, and the first time I've seen the infield fly rule actually be enforced

With the trade deadline approaching and the usual question of which teams are buyers and which are sellers is doing the rounds on the sports site. Although there's an extra spot this year, is it worth 'going for it' and trading some prospects for what could only be one game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

With the trade deadline approaching and the usual question of which teams are buyers and which are sellers is doing the rounds on the sports site. Although there's an extra spot this year, is it worth 'going for it' and trading some prospects for what could only be one game?
    Teams will go for it as the fans will demand it but I dont think its worth it if your giving up prospect(s) that could be there long after the player signs with someone else. Back in 2010, the Angels were looking for a slugger after Kendry Morales went down and could have had anyone been sold for Mike Trout. They were smart and now they have one of the best players in baseball...

A's going for the sweep againt the Yankees tonight.

Tied with the Orioles and the White Sox for the second playoff spot. Just hope nothing retarded happens at the deadline now.

Masked Man wrote: »
    A's going for the sweep againt the Yankees tonight.

Tied with the Orioles and the White Sox for the second playoff spot. Just hope nothing retarded happens at the deadline now.

Nice article on the As here

http://mlb.si.com/2012/07/23/oakland-athletics-moneyball-contenders/?sct=mlb_t11_a0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

• Advertisement

Wow, didn't see that trade coming. I guess he is a FA at the end of the season and the Mariners are in sell mode. They are no longer obliged to bring him back either. Yankees actually start a series there tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Oh well thats just fcuking great...

The (loser) Mariners trade Ichiro to the Yankees. And what did the mariners get? 2 minor league "prospects".

Seriously its getting old. Two out of three times I sit down to watch a game they lose and I can take that for a season, maybe two.... but its been ten years and getting really fcuking old.

And get this the octaganarian japanese owner has never been to a game. And he's just slowly running the team into the ground...

There should be a law.

Sorry. I'm even more bitter than I was earlier in the season.

/RANTOFF

:(

I don't know what I'm feeling right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Oh well thats just fcuking great...

The (loser) Mariners trade Ichiro to the Yankees. And what did the mariners get? 2 minor league "prospects".

Seriously its getting old. Two out of three times I sit down to watch a game they lose and I can take that for a season, maybe two.... but its been ten years and getting really fcuking old.

And get this the octaganarian japanese owner has never been to a game. And he's just slowly running the team into the ground...

There should be a law.

Sorry. I'm even more bitter than I was earlier in the season.

/RANTOFF

The Mariners have lost a 38 year old that is currently batting .260. It's not all that bad.

As a Yankee fan it's nice to see big name trades, but who knows how much this guy has left in the tank. The interesting trades will come in the off-season when the Yankees have to figure out who to cut so they come under the Luxury-Tax line.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    The interesting trades will come in the off-season when the Yankees have to figure out who to cut so they come under the Luxury-Tax line.

That's going to be great to watch. Extra incentives this year with teams being able to claw back tax they previously paid if they get under and stay under the tax so it'll be interesting to see how the Yankees do it especially as its something they've never had to worry about before. Steinbrenner has said they are definitely going to be under no matter what. He's definitely different to his father then!

Last night's trade made me laugh. Imagine how weird it must have been for Ichiro. Going to the same ball park he's been going to for years but going into the visitors dressing room instead. I didn't see any of the highlights yet. How did the crowd react when he came to the plate?

On a separate matter, are the Mets ever going to win a game again....????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The Mariners have lost a 38 year old that is currently batting .260. It's not all that bad.

True he's past his prime certainly. Its what they got for him that's just a little frustrating. Two minor league pitchers??? Ffs...

The Nintendo management are complete losers, they've been trading away any player with any talent for minor league "prospects" in the hope of "building the team" for almost TEN years now (ichiro excepted), and it aint working too well, but they just keep on doing it.

Best chance is tonight if Dickey pitches a complete game and gets some run support...

Coeus wrote: »
    Best chance is tonight if Dickey pitches a complete game and gets some run support...

Unfortunately, like the Mets themselves, Dickey has cooled off considerably in his past few starts and has been average at best. He was never going to go 12-1 or whatever in the second half of the season but I didn't think he'd drop as much as he has the past couple of starts.

I doubt it has anything to do with it as he seems quite level headed but around the time of the all star game he was appearing on Letterman and being interviewed by the general media and was becoming a bit of a media 'star' and maybe he's lost some of his focus.

The Mets need to stop this skid so I do hope he turns it back on tonight

• Advertisement

As a Yankee fan it's nice to see big name trades, but who knows how much this guy has left in the tank. The interesting trades will come in the off-season when the Yankees have to figure out who to cut so they come under the Luxury-Tax line.

They've lost a lot more than just any old 38 year old batting .260

I can understand the baseball logic behind the trade, they want to get something back for him given that his contract is up at the end of the season and he'll be too old/expensive to re-sign.

But it's Ichiro...
    What he's brings back in merchandising, seat sales, what he means to the teams history, fan morale etc. is all worth a lot more than the two nobodies (a little harsh but not far from the truth) he brought back. Is it really that hard to just keep him around for another two months?

It's not like he was taking playing time away from some budding superstar. Even with his un-Ichiro like stat line in the past two years, he's still been one of the Mariners better players, and that's not to mention his defence.

I can understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Advertisement