Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

50 hit 14 dead 10 injured :( so sad updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

tajd wrote: »
    50 hit 14 dead 10 injured :( so sad updated

How could 26 have been hit but not injured? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Presumably 10 critically injured..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

I lived in Denver for a year. Have been to this very cinema. Always felt safe over there, never felt intimidated or witnessed any trouble. That same year there were more murders in Limerick than in Denver.

usa going crazy they think there lots of terrorists its just one random crazy man

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

but is anyone surprised really this is common these masacres in USA

And in China, where schoolkids have oft been targetted by individuals with a grudge. It's part of a wider sickness in the big societies out there.

It's not surprising in the sense that violence is losing its ability to shock and is becoming the norm in a way. Violent wars, violent entertainment, macho cultures, violence in the home, bullying and so forth. If you want to be a pessimist, you could say violence is all around us. If.

That said, I don't want to be a pessimist. There are underlying problems that lead to spontaneous (and planned) violence. Most people don't resort to it. We're not on the brink and the end of civilisation hasn't happened just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

davet82 wrote: »
    when is the last time they got to vote on it though? (idk honest question)

Seems hey have proposals all the time /concealment / crossing state lines / use of deadly force

Laws at the moment

Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)] Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, you cannot carry the weapon concealed on or about your person while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6] The Act permits the nationwide carrying of concealed handguns by qualified current and retired law enforcement officers and amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Pub. L. 90-618, 82 Stat. 1213) to exempt qualified current and retired law enforcement officers from state and local laws prohibiting the carry of concealed firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

danniemcq wrote: »
    think everyone else in the cinema might need a pair if the baby starts crying. and it wouldn't just be the sound but the movie is gonna be fairly dark and suddenly the whole screen lights up in an explosion and the speakers rock and shake the chair.

I know this topic is dragging the thread off topic but it was also midmight over there, should baby not have been in bed?
    Babies don't always go at predictable times. I think this attack on the mother is a bit stupid. It's a dick head move bringing a baby into a theatre because the baby is going to annoy everyone else if it starts screaming. It's not child cruelty though. The child has no understanding of what's going on shouting and explosions are just noise to the child in that setting and there's no reason to think it wouldn't act more like a car journey sending them to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Confirmed dead at least 12, revised from 14.

Police chief confirming AT LEAST 12 dead, now necessarily 14 or 15 as reported.

• Advertisement

TheGimp wrote: »
    I lived in Denver for a year. Have been to this very cinema. Always felt safe over there, never felt intimidated or witnessed any trouble. That same year there were more murders in Limerick than in Denver.

i am from limerick its a beautiful place people are really friendly yes we had a rough patch for along time :mad: it just a few bad eggs ruined it for the rest of us

usa going crazy they think there lots of terrorists its just one random crazy man

No, the USA is not going crazy. News outlets are doing their usual rolling news schtick and there will be sensationalism and speculation (like here) until we have all the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

walking wounded.

The ones taken to hospital would be classed as injured etc. Others could have been grazes or ricochets.

That or they are injured but the rest are in a serious condition/left threatening.

Basq wrote: »
    Police chief confirming AT LEAST 12 dead, now necessarily 14 or 15 as reported.

lets hope this number goes lower and lower

Just heard on the scanner that there has been an armed robbery in the area too. I guess all the lowlifes in the area now are seeing the cops are all to busy to look at anything else so they are having a field day.

2 guys sorry actually

when this guy was finished attacking the cinema did he give himself up ? to police

I'm not watching it but usually a cult film is one that isn't very popular but has it's appeal. Clockwork Orange is one. Donnie Darko. Stuff that isn't wolrd wide popular but you could easily find groups of people that love it.

The power of cinema, eh? You probably know that in the UK, on Stanley Kubrick's say so, Clockwork Orange was taken off the screens here, following acts of violence and brutality allegedly inspired by said film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

old hippy wrote: »
    And who would carry out the punishment? You? Would it satisfy you enough, long term? Would it solve anything at all?

Your tired use of the term "liberal" as an umbrella term for a very serious social malaise shows you don't "care at all", in fact. Seems to me, that's lazy point scoring at it's worst.

Not me personally, but I'm sure it would satisfy the mother and father of that 3 month old baby that was so callously murdered for no reason.

Tired use? I've used it once.

I'm not trying to score points. I simply believe people aren't punished enough for these types for crimes.

wtf is a 3 months old baby and a 6 year old doing at a batman movie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Not me personally, but I'm sure it would satisfy the mother and father of that 3 month old baby that was so callously murdered for no reason.
    Has it been confirmed that the 3 month old has died?

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    Not that I know of.. no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I heard on the report that a woman saw a baby being shot dead at close range...I assumed the baby died...but guess not?

Either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Nope just that they are being treated.

jesus sky news over hyping this arent they you swear it was 9/11 all over again

when this guy was finished attacking the cinema did he give himself up ? to police

no details yet

bad parents brings a 6 yr old and a 3 month old to a batman movie

Bad Panda wrote: »

Tired use? I've used it once.

I'm not trying to score points. I simply believe people aren't punished enough for these types for crimes.

Why all the focus on the baby? Aren't all the victims worthy of compassion?

What type of punishment would be enough, in these kinds of incidents?

Is State sponsored murder/torture more respectable than street/random murder?

im watching on bbc news 24 now i cant stand adam boulton on sky news

bad parents brings a 6 yr old and a 3 month old to a batman movie

oh give over FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 mup

Some of the comments here are sickening. I don't expect to change the outlook of someone who has a defective enough personality to make such comments. I've never understood the premise of trolling, it's certainly not for well educated or intelligent people. It seems to have its roots in shocking people with outlandish comments. You have an anonymous username and nobody knows who you are, what enjoyment can you get from shocking people who have no idea who you are? Your only impact is to annoy people with sick jokes. If your 'coping mechanism' is 'gallows humour' then surely there is somewhere else ye can all be moved, where people of a decent moral grounding, empathy and compassion don't have to be upset by your comments.

Using multiple killings as a base for a cheap laugh is disgusting. I understand humour is subjective and I would consider myself quite dark but to make light of a shooting like this where a baby has suffered really forces me to wonder where we, as a society, are headed. I realise time will pass and jokes will be made about this but in the immediate aftermath it is tactless.

I know I don't know any of these people personally and have no way of proving but I would imagine that they lead very sad lives or no lives outside of internet chatrooms and forums at all if this is how they choose to interact. I know I will be the subject of their vitriol now and I accept that but I couldn't read those comments without saying my piece.

My more pressing concern is how the US will react to this. I hope that it will be a catalyst for changing gun legislation but fear it will be swept under the rug under the heading of "Terrorism/Extremism". Nobody can comment for certain but I do believe if it were not for the easy availability and lax restrictions on firearms possession in America, this would not have happened.

Advertisement