Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

anyone know whats going on in the finale party or what acts are playing? cant find info anywhere! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Had a very enjoyable night last night down the docks.

It was my first time seeing/hearing The Kanyu Tree, and they were simply amazing in my opinion.

Maverick Sabre was only okay, but then again I am not a fan of that genre music but there was a good crowd there, drinks were flowing and there was no trouble from what I could see. So it was a great night!

Headed to a rammed Monroes afterwards and saw The Amazing Apples, and they were excellent also!

Feeling the worst for it today but I hope to recover in time for Tuesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Went to Sabre, was good craic.
    5 euro plastic cup Heinekens were had.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

biko wrote: »
    Went to Sabre, was good craic.
    5 euro plastic cup Heinekens were had.

I had brought in a few cans of Heineken with me and one of the security guards said that i can't drink them out of the Coors Light plastic cups i got in the off licence, he told me just go buy one pint of heineken and reuse the heineken glass discreetly.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

Heineken is muck. It's a pity they get pride of place at so many gigs. I had some great craft beer over at he food pavilion, Creans, Hooker and Trouble Ale and Stout. It would be wonderful if consideration could be given to craft beer stands on the docks as well. There might be fewer sore heads this morning. Heino is full of chemicals. Always gives me a hell of a headache the day after :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

squonk wrote: »
    Heineken is muck. It's a pity they get pride of place at so many gigs. I had some great craft beer over at he food pavilion, Creans, Hooker and Trouble Ale and Stout. It would be wonderful if consideration could be given to craft beer stands on the docks as well. There might be fewer sore heads this morning. Heino is full of chemicals. Always gives me a hell of a headache the day after :(.

I was dying this morning after it. Its a horrible drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What was disgraceful as a matter of interest, was on High St for a large part of the night and didnt notice too much out of the ordinary.
    There's no reason it can't be both ordinary and disgraceful, to be fair.
    It's the image that Galway goes for though, so I don't think the locals can claim to be too shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

plenty of pissed teens down the spainish arch drinking roaring and shouting,quite intimadating for familys and tourists.guards done NOTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Spent three hours in Salthill today after reading here and on the radio about a huge parade of sail with two hundred boats involved, I should have known better. They never came near Salthill at Blackrock where it was supposed to start and I counted 38 boats in total way out in the middle of the bay.

Why o why do they say things that never happen, I got drenched even went back to the car where Galway Bay FM announced the details of the parade which never happened.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Spent three hours in Salthill today after reading here and on the radio about a huge parade of sail with two hundred boats involved, I should have known better. They never came near Salthill at Blackrock where it was supposed to start and I counted 38 boats in total way out in the middle of the bay.

Why o why do they say things that never happen, I got drenched even went back to the car where Galway Bay FM announced the details of the parade which never happened.:mad:
    In fairness you would have been drenched either way whether twas on or not. Bad form all the same though, hpying everything for the week will be the norm id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hope the weather improves, traffic today was a nightmare, and parking worse.It never seems as bad when the weather's good/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Spoke to a guy at one of the food stalls and he said it was a disaster today for him, very few people around and yesterday was just average. The weather is the key to every outdoor event in this Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lads what time did Maverick Sabre go on stage yesterday?

Might head in to see Ryan Sheridan tonight but when the weather is bad i don't wan't to be waiting ages beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

galwayrush wrote: »
    Hope the weather improves, traffic today was a nightmare, and parking worse.It never seems as bad when the weather's good/

I had no problem with either. :)

Mind you, I didn't walk to or from the area (just in South Park, across the river and around the Docks) so I didn't get to experience the parking free-for-all, which may well have been as bad as happened in 2009.

I'd like to seem them sort out the pedestrian bottleneck on Merchant's Road. They seem to have switched off the signals on the Pelican Crossing.

Weather atrocious, but I enjoyed the Food Pavilion. And the paella stall, again. Also the Galway Baroque Singers, who were in good form despite the Arctic conditions.

Lots of people around, which suggest the crowds will be massive if the weather even half improves. Maybe the locals will try to emulate the foreign visitors, and wear waterproof gear when it rains...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Was there many at Dara last night

There was an odd empty seat here and there, great turnout really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

425442_10150930598437083_1661002211_n.jpg

In a Top Gear type challenge a Volvo XC60 car set off from the Lorient Race Village at precisely the same time as the boats for a road trip that will take them across France, England and Ireland to try to beat the boats to Galway.

Details here.

You can follow the car tracker here and the boat tacker here.

Whoever loses buys a round of drinks for the winners.

The way the fleet tore out of Lorient today and with 66 sailors in the race Krantz and Dahlgren could face a large bar bill if they lose their bets.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Way too many pissed teens in town last night & the cops doing SFA about it, one particular ban garda thought it was more important to give me **** over going into see friends in Ce na Mara with some cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

barryd09 wrote: »
    Way too many pissed teens in town last night & the cops doing SFA about it, one particular ban garda thought it was more important to give me **** over going into see friends in Ce na Mara with some cans.
    I saw a group of three teenager girls sipping on a huge bottle of WKD on Long Walk at 6pm yesterday, in plain view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Rubbish weather today altogether, so only a few pics.

1FF8A2CEC983448BB32C749517FE1F80-0000324460-0002914723-00800L-5D91668EAF9F40B5AE2B2094D5D5018F.jpg

0AFE781AB2104EED8859D883E95587C6-0000324460-0002914722-00800L-48547CED4CC8449C98133CC4E4CA8960.jpg

1F19301BACD04B55A29C4A83A8BC97F8-0000324460-0002914721-00800L-4B17EAB4F4AF4B4398B3248499510DC6.jpg

977B7781E92641F19F78940AE62832FC-0000324460-0002914720-00800L-D4E0089BA86B4F3A8E116EF0F3DE768C.jpg

4715B701A3DB4C0292734346341A8818-0000324460-0002914719-00800L-E4E976C8E3BD476482D0720493829454.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Ryan Sheridan was amazing. Will post some pictures and videos later/tomorrow

• Advertisement

just back from Aprés Match myself. I got a comp ticket allicated to my work. It was a good show but there wasn't enough of the lads IMHO. They did bout 25 mins before the match, half time and then another 25 mins after. The global arena is class and I enjoyed the show but had I paid I'd not be as happy. I'd have liked to see more material.

Heading to the docks tomorrow night for Lizzy. What have main act stage imes been like so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Couple of pics from last night and tonight
    7480041614_f28eb1a318_c.jpg
    Kanyu Tree 2 by Clunthoo, on Flickr
    7480016874_00d3aeab5f.jpg
    Kanyu Tree by Clunthoo, on Flickr
    7479960012_3d34e26708.jpg
    Stage depth by Clunthoo, on Flickr
    7482425608_68269902a7.jpg
    Niwel Tsumbu by Clunthoo, on Flickr
    7482365424_5ccd32f6b6.jpg
    by Clunthoo, on Flickr
    7482320458_8d6d057be7.jpg
    Ryan Sheridan by Clunthoo, on Flickr
    7482296936_1f5afd92ba.jpg
    Untitled by Clunthoo, on Flickr
    Not the best as I was only taking them with a L120 but alright I suppose. Videos will follow tomorrow, caught alot more of the wind noise today which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I was out there in the bay today, and there were well over 100 boats making their way into the Docks - yachts, hookers, dinghies, motor boats ... . From where we were 'standing' it was quite impressive to see all this colourful convoy heading in the same direction, all sails out. :) The volume of boats moored in the Docks is a testament to the event ...

From a sailing point of view, the conditions were pretty good despite a few showers here and there. But from a spectators' point of view, it is a indeed pity that it was wet, rather cold and I am sure visibility was rather impaired too. :(

I hope the conditions will improve ... however, we should all make do with what we get ... as we cannot change it.

Enjoy the week - I know I am looking forward to the rest of the festivities ! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Aprés doing Aprés Aprés in the Forge right now!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Aprés doing Aprés Aprés in the Forge right now!

What? Are they in drinking or performing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

At 1 am the fleet have already covered over 200 of the 550 nautical miles to Galway and are due to round the Fastnet tomorrow morning before 8am. Live Tracker here (click 'LIVE' for latest posn.)

Three of the boats went through the notorious Raz du Sein, a narrow stretch of water located between the Isle du Sein and Brittany well known for its violent waves and sea currents. It was responsible for wrecking one of the ships on Wolfe Tone’s ill fated Expédition d'Irlande to Bantry Bay in December 1796, with the loss of 680 lives.

They got through safely and luckily did not meet awesome Raz weather like this. :eek:

There is extensive live coverage of this leg of the race on the Volvo Ocean Race Site, from 10:00am until 13:00 and from 19:00 until 22:00 tomorrow, with video calls to all the boats and live footage of any action onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Tá siad ag teacht...

pVlBf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They are now approaching Fastnet ! The page showing the ETA is hopeless - it hasn't been updated overnight.

They could be here in daylight today.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

do you know what place will they finish the race, I mean where they stop counting the time of that last leg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

pepe00 wrote: »
    do you know what place will they finish the race, I mean where they stop counting the time of that last leg?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686745

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement