Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finish Line for the race

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering does anyone know where the actual finish line for the volvo ocean race is? Like is it far out into the bay?

would love to catch a look at the boats coming in if possible.

Any help would be great! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

First into Port I'd have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

when are they due ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Mutton island was the finish line last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

skwinty wrote: »

Just wondering does anyone know where the actual finish line for the volvo ocean race is? Like is it far out into the bay?

p190-Galway-Bay-plan.jpg

The Finish line will be between a white committe boat and a large yellow buoy, situated between the Foudra rock buoy and the green Tawin shoals buoy. The area is about a mile straight out from the Prom at Salthill Park in the middle of the North Bay.

The sailing instructions for the course are in this PDF document

Once the race starts on Sunday, the Live Tracker will show the individual positions of the boats in real time.

Notch000 wrote: »
    when are they due ???

That is totally weather and more specifically wind dependent...

However it looks like they will have a quick passage, based on forecasts of wind strengths from a favourable angle for fast sailing.

If you want to be more precise about it... when they pass Eeragh Lighthouse (NW of Aran Islands) they will have about 30 Nautical miles to go to the finish off Salthill.

The Tracker will give you the boat speed... so if they are doing 15 knots = 2 hours to finish... 20 knots = 1 1/2 hours to finish etc.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Tracker will give you the boat speed... so if they are doing 15 knots = 2 hours to finish... 20 knots = 1 1/2 hours to finish etc.

:D

The tracker was behind the actual boats last time & it depends on whether the crews have their AIS switched on. So I would allow a bit of extra time if you are planning to go out to watch.

Last time we ended up on a Connemara beach trying to spot a tiny light by the Clare coast. They should be closer to the Galway side this year as it is the shortest route to the finish. We really need GBFM to do a live commentary from Aran to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 prometheus2012

Discodog wrote: »
    The tracker was behind the actual boats last time & it depends on whether the crews have their AIS switched on. So I would allow a bit of extra time if you are planning to go out to watch.

Last time we ended up on a Connemara beach trying to spot a tiny light by the Clare coast. They should be closer to the Galway side this year as it is the shortest route to the finish. We really need GBFM to do a live commentary from Aran to Galway.

Finnegan is MC for the arrivals. I'd be surprised of they didn't cut from programming for it.

Finnegan is MC for the arrivals. I'd be surprised of they didn't cut from programming for it.

Last time we had the radio on & all we got was the usual news. There were no updates at all. I would of thought that GBFM or TG4 (the boats will almost be passing their door) would give a running commentary.

The really funny thing was that a big yacht passed through Barna & people let off fireworks assuming that it was the winner :D.

Because of the uncertainty & it being a working day, I can't see my neighbours at a beach party this year. I can't imagine that there will be as many bonfires as last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

What time frame are they estimating the boats are coming in at?

At present VOR are estimating the early hours of Tuesday morning for the finish in Galway.

The estimate may change depending on the winds they encounter.

• Advertisement

They've go the wrong way :D

Currently heading in the opposite direction to Galway as they have to go around an island.

Any arrival time estimates are meaningless until they get to Fastnet.

The Digital Yacht AIT series transponders which are fitted on every boat in this year Volvo Ocean Race update every 60 seconds, and it is illegal for the crews to turn AIS off. So absolutely no need to worry about the speed and accuracy of the tracker however you must click ’LIVE’ in the top left of the tracker screen and wait for the page to update.

The last time the fleet approached Galway in the 2008-9 race three of the boats were in ‘stealth play’, but stealth is not allowed this time, except when they were in the anti-piracy stealth zone in the Indian Ocean.

The Volvo tracker is definitely better than last time. Just checked it & it's ahead of the AIS by about 40 mins ! The UTC time is going to catch a lot of people out.

Stealth Play - is that what the Irish navy call it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Oh god no. Its a wonderful event but why inflict that on us :(

The Volvo tracker is definitely better than last time. Just checked it & it's ahead of the AIS by about 40 mins ! The UTC time is going to catch a lot of people out.

Agreed... and the weather feature on the Volvo tracker with a slider to show the forecast wind for the next few days is good too. It appears to have a favorable wind all the way to Galway.

Not only does AIS allow the fleet to track the position of other vessels but each crew member is equipped with a personal AIS SART which activates in the event of a ‘Man Over Board‘. The Digital Yacht transponders can decode these specific messages to generate an alarm and allow the plotter to track the position of the MOB casualty.

Juggling French local time, UTC, GMT and Daylight Saving Time is a bit of a minefield all right. (We are UTC + 1 I think)

Advertisement