Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

yeah kies is terrible but cause i dont want to flash my phone, i prefer updating my phone through kies or over the air.

i get the message "your device does not support software updating via kies" get when i connect my phone to kies, has anyone got this?

i've got the latest kies, have deleted it and reinstalled it a few times and i keep getting the same thing.

i dont know how to upload a photo of the message on to this

here's the message i keep getting

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

How do i create shortcuts for the people i ring and txt most frequently instead of having to go through contacts all the time? Could do it on the s2 but cant seem to find way to do it on s3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep when the GS2 came out loads of us had the same thing.
    You just have to wait till kies is updated. (in my case it was a few updates before I could update the phone using kies)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just plugged mine in and its fine,

When plugged in pull down the notification bar and make sure phone is connect via MTP and not Camera.

If that not it its possible your network has put some ****e custom stuff on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Click the Apps Icon on the home screen. Click Widgets (top menu).

Add the "Contact 1x1" widget by holding down and dropping onto your Home Screen. It'll then ask you to select the contact from your Contacts list.
    Marco85 wrote: »
    How do i create shortcuts for the people i ring and txt most frequently instead of having to go through contacts all the time? Could do it on the s2 but cant seem to find way to do it on s3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

This post has been deleted.

Did you flash this using ODIN mate or CWM? Would you be able to PM me a link to the UK ROM?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Thanks a million! What sort of battery life you getting out of it man?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think also the cell standy is an issue that I hope will be fixed by Samsung as it seems to be draining a lot of the battery too.

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Thanks, I think also the cell standy is an issue that I hope will be fixed by Samsung as it seems to be draining a lot of the battery too.

Cheers,
    M

Hmm I look at mine just now and it reported 46% but after a reboot it was down to 7%. Maybe a glitch in reporting the real usage? Or does it only count from your last boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

I got my phone at launch every now and then the phone will freeze and reboot its self it will also freez if I'm typing and got at message at the same time.

Today if I try to look a photos on Facebook instead of the photo coming up on the screen I just get SAMSUNG across the screen

fionny wrote: »
    Just plugged mine in and its fine,

When plugged in pull down the notification bar and make sure phone is connect via MTP and not Camera.

If that not it its possible your network has put some ****e custom stuff on it.

Mine is connected via mtp, I got mine from meteor last Wednesday, it looks like an unbranded stock rom cause there are no apps on it except Samsung and Google so im at a loss to why its not working properly....

Has anyone updated their firmware through kies, has there been any updates in Ireland yet??

god's toy wrote: »
    You just have to wait till kies is updated. (in my case it was a few updates before I could update the phone using kies)

I had the s2 and never had any similar problems with it. Would a factory reset of the phone help??

I uninstallled and installed kies a few times and its not helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Anyone having an issue getting the S3 to work with Samsungdive? I have everything enabled on the phone itself that is needed for the service to operate, and have a samsung account linked. But testing any of the services on the site such as Track My Mobile, Ring My Mobile fail instantly, with no errors being displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

bogman wrote: »
    Delighted, best phone ever and easy to unlock, once rooted, mine was onlocked originally

Root.....
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238

Unlock.......CF-Root 6.3 - SuperSU+CWM5.5+CWMManager
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simunlock&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5wcm9qZWN0dm9vZG9vLnNpbXVubG9jayJd

Real easy, give a few days for the battery to cycle, I left it run down completely before charging first time, it lasts a day

Still very new to android and the S3, so excuse the noob questions.

I have an idea about what "rooting" (I believe it is similar to a jailbreak on an ipphone). I can see the advantage of JBing an iPhone to be able to customize it and open it up to non-apple apps, but why do it to android? Isn't it open already?

I've jailbroken an iPhone before, and I found that if anything it made the battery drain quicker. As I'm experiencing poor battery on the S3, should I root it? Will it make things worse?

If I root it, is it easy to remove the bloatware? I have a feeling that there are some element of bloatware that are using RAM and possibly consuming battery even though I've hidden them from the app screen and disabled a lot of apps in the application manager. I'd prefer to be rid of them completely,TBH.

Whats the main reason for rooting? Is it just to customize the appearance or is there a performance advantage to doing it?

Again, excuse the noobie questions, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

it allows more customisation... it basically gives you rights to do anything to it, like overclocking (making the phone faster) etc.. by default its set with a limit as it is potentially damaging to the phone..(makes it hotter etc)

theres multiple benefits as such but little at the moment. new version of android comes out - samsung have to mess around with it and get their software working on it..ensure it works etc...
    if you have a root you can install a custom rom with new updated android when someone else does it..

besides that... customisations.. you can change the phone entirely to anything once you root it pretty much, the reason its required is so you dont mess up your phone... it opens it up to vunerabilities aka changing it completely which is what most people use it for..
    i had my old htc desire rooted, tried a few roms, underclocking etc... but wont be bothering doing it on my s3 as i never saw a huge benefit.. theres not much annoys me, and little to gain from a root.. maybe just backing up my phone i guess...
    some apps require root.. but you wont ever want to use 99% of them

you wont generally gain much in terms of performance either... its just if theres little things that annoy you, maybe they annoy other people and one of them changes samsungs software so its not in it (e.g im using a different to stock keyboard and it always tells me that in my notifications, unecessary imo... few other minor things...)
    or if theres a few default processes/apps that arent necessary someone might have removed them in a custom rom etc...
    in the end you wont gain much from doing it on this phone if you have the stock rom & no bloatware from your network imo...

To summarise...it opens your phone up to a whole world of random stuff to do if you are a bit of a techie, but nothing much besidse that.

apple stop you doing stuff because they say you dont need to.

android stops you doing stuff because if you mess with it and dont know what you are doing you will break your phone. you still maintain complete control of your software pretty much.

as for peoples complaints abuot battery.. i find mine dropping around 1% per hour in standby.. its the screen eats my battery..though i had it set to full for the past 2-3 days rather than auto so that may be a case.. that and mobile data ofc...
    either way im very happy with the battery life.. went for a 2 day stretch overnight for work at the minute and i can see me having no problems with it...
    i reckon 2 days no problem.. especially when they optimise it even more in future udpates and battery life peaks after its few charges.. imo its improving with each charge for me atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Does anyone know when the 32/64gb versions will be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

roarlad wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the 32/64gb versions will be released?

At the moment it's probably a case of if rather than when. With S2 there was supposed to be a 32GB, but it never arrived. It will depend on whether Samsung feel there is a demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

First S3 rom ive seen from MoDaCo

Custom ROM Ir1 for the Galaxy S III - new: Trackball Alert support

And from a person with the name of paulobrien he must have some Irish blood
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1734716

god's toy wrote: »

I had the s2 and never had any similar problems with it. Would a factory reset of the phone help??

I uninstallled and installed kies a few times and its not helped
    It might I suppose, I don't have a gs2 anymore as GS3 replaced it. Now just gotta get the few version 1.0 bugs sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

bogman wrote: »
    First S3 rom ive seen from MoDaCo

Custom ROM Ir1 for the Galaxy S III - new: Trackball Alert support

And from a person with the name of paulobrien he must have some Irish blood
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1734716

figures theres nothing major....
    iv seen some mad stuff looking around though. theres a way to install ubuntu on the phone :P
    still failing to see a reason for root atm. seen a few nice things but nothing major yet until new versions of ics come out i reckon...
    maybe longterm if im suffering for space on it with games etc and someone makes an apps to sd possibility with the phone i might as thats a major drawback atm for people who want a few of the bigger games available

as for comments about the 32Gb version, vodafone already have it i believe no? and theyre the only ones have it in ireland i thought (they bought exclusivity rights to that size). though doesnt seem available on their website specifically...
    you can pick up a 32Gb card for 30 euro which is class 10 which makes your phone effectively 48Gb storage (or 40 realistically)
    and there are 64Gb sd cards available i believe. its not a pc.. you dont need infinite music on it. maybe movies etc.. but at that i think you can chop and change imo... why you need more than 5 movies on your phone at a time when its personal use mainly... you can hook it up to a tv sure but when ur bringing cables etc to do that you may as well bring a HDD or a few spare sd cards... and the few extra gb of extra space isnt that great...
    also fyi class 10 = faster than phones internal storage so...yeah... best option imo. only thing is what i said above.. things like apps etc only potentially have the phones 11Gb of space which i guess is a limiting factor longterm as we are gonna see a huge range of games becoming readily available over the next year for sure. if space is needed something will be done though so it shouldnt be a concern i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Craigels wrote: »
    I got my phone at launch every now and then the phone will freeze and reboot its self it will also freez if I'm typing and got at message at the same time.

Today if I try to look a photos on Facebook instead of the photo coming up on the screen I just get SAMSUNG across the screen

Just to update I brought it back to carphone and they replaced it there and then so happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Apex here, much smoother than the standard TW launcher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Nova for me. I didn't notice much lag on TouchWiz but I hate that launcher and was trying out new launchers about 2 hours after getting the phone plus I like the option to resize icons that you get on the extra launchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Is there any fre way of network unlocking these? Got one from O2 insurance a few weeks back and now I'm switching to 3 but the phone is locked to O2 and they tell me it can be up to 24 days before they can get it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement