Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KevIRL wrote: »
    Also, it should be noted we now face into our 8th Munster final since 2002. Thats pretty incredible stuff for Waterford. I hope that our support havent gotten to the stage of just expecting to be in the Final each season, as that consistency isnt always likely to be there

And fourth final in a row. We have only had to win one game in each of the four years but it's still some going. I think there may be an element of that or maybe more so the negativity that was surrounding this game, but there's no question that people don't have the money they used to as well.
    Cake Man wrote: »
    Daniels did do well but it is worth mentioning he did cough up some soft frees, got booked and I think his marker (McGrath or Ryan) got a few points from him. Not being critical of the lad, thought he did do well to and fair play to him.

Delighted to have another crack at Tipp or Cork in a Munster final, hopefully to put right the wrongs of last year. Still plenty of room for improvement but we'll enjoy the victory.

I thought he was excellent. Conor McGrath is one of the best young forwards in the country and he took his two scores excellently, and considering the amount of ball he got I thought Daniels did exceptionally well to hold him to that, delighted for him I must say. With Connors and Fives to come back as well, I really like the look of our back line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I second all of the above.

Wouldnt be as harsh on Davy tho, dosent really mean anything to me to beat him I know a lot of fans are delighted to see him beaten. But I thought he did a decent enough job with Waterford when he was here overall. and left on good terms so dont think there was that much of an edge to it.

Id like to congratulate Michael Ryan though on a good win. He wouldnt have been a lot of peoples favourites for the job not least myself but at the start of the season if you told me Division One survival and a Munster final/guaranteed AI quarter Id have taken it. Today is a huge win and lets hope we can push on now. Nice to see us hurl with more freedom again.

By the way I didnt get into Thurles til half 2 and still managed to get a parking space in the square... right outside Hayses!!! Sign of the times or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

By the way I didnt get into Thurles til half 2 and still managed to get a parking space in the square... right outside Hayses!!! Sign of the times or what?

We got into Thurles just before 3 and like yourself got a spot in the square, was more like a league game, the pubs and chipper vans must have really noticed the difference. Also noticed that Cullens pub is closed.

Some difference to the heady days of Munster finals v Cork in 03 and 04.

Id like to congratulate Michael Ryan though on a good win. He wouldnt have been a lot of peoples favourites for the job not least myself but at the start of the season if you told me Division One survival and a Munster final/guaranteed AI quarter Id have taken it. Today is a huge win and lets hope we can push on now. Nice to see us hurl with more freedom again.

Aye, fair play to Ryan indeed, he took a lot of stick in the league and deserves praise for the recent run of competitve wins. I also feel that due credit and recognition needs to go to Ken and Cullinane for the positive and calming influence they have had on the team.

The management team should come in for particular praise today for their substitutions today, each one of them worked a treat and was well timed also, it made a welcome change from the Davy era when I felt very often he was slow to make a change.

Final note on the management team, I hope they take Tommy Ryan aside and tell him if he ever finds himself through on goal in injury time with his team leading by 2 points he should take the point on offer not go for goal. Worst case it would mean we couldnt lose.

Final note on the management team, I hope they take Tommy Ryan aside and tell him if he ever finds himself through on goal in injury time with his team leading by 2 points he should take the point on offer not go for goal. Worst case it would mean we couldnt lose.

yea memories of eoin mcgrath v cork 07 quarter final drawn game. through on goal went for a goal, saved by cusack. a point would have drawn the game. as it turned out we got a free to draw the game after but I know exactly what your saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very good win today, really thought Clare were going to score a goal from that free. Thank god Darrach Honan didnt have the skills to score that goal near the end. Thought John Mullane was unusally quite (well not near the end, was celebrating like we won the all ireland lol). Its great for the county to be preparing for a Munster Final instead of a all ireland qulifer. and have a guaranteed All Ireland Quarter Final place.

The crowd was very disapointing. I reckoned the crowd was 60-40 Waterford. I really hope the munster concil learns from this and slashes the price of the tickets. Have a gut feeling the prices for the final will be 35 stand and 25 terrace.

However if youre and OAP or have vailid student ID you can avail of a refund ( i paid 30 for the ticket online and got 10 euro back).

If its a Waterford/Tipperary final its on in that dead trap of a place in Cork, hopefully not a repeat of last years scoreline

If its Waterford/Cork final its on in Thurles and would be much better location eg Pubs,food, atmosphere.

Hopefully the minors can win on Wednesday making it the 4th time in a row that Waterford play in both Senoir and Minor Munster Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thought John Mullane was unusally quite (well not near the end, was celebrating like we won the all ireland lol).

I thought Mullane did very well, especially when he came out into the half forward line. He uncharacteristically won some excellent aerial ball and contributed a lot more to overall play than he usually does. He got three lovely scorers too.

Mullane quiet? Were you watching the same game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not sure why so many of ye are getting so riled up that the 'experts' picked Clare to win. Many others tipped Waterford, and pretty much anyone who was calling this game thought it would be really close. If Clare scored that free at the end, does that make them all right and that Waterford are finished? no, it was a tight game that a lot of people thought could go either way, and thats what happened. Had Waterford came out and hammered Clare you might well say f*ck the media and all the other crap, but it was a tight win that could very very easily have gone the other way. Dont know why all the chip on the shoulder comments have to come out after a good win.

/rant.

decent game, if lacking quality. I think the teams were a bit match practise short, and this told with a number of mistakes on both sides. good intensity to it though, and being honest, it was a game both sides could claim they were better. Whilst it may not have been a penalty, Clares goal had a clear free out in the build up. Ref gave harmless frees both ways, but overall, didnt influence the game. Connors was lucky a penalty wasnt given against him when he barged Conlon out of it as McGrath came in by the endline and shot. Would expect more out of Waterford, and was impressed by a lot of their younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

cornerboy wrote: »
    Love the bit where Davey had the row with the linesman...."I have 2 f***ing all ireland medals...what the F**k have you"

Was that not aimed at Kelly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

redlead wrote: »
    I thought Mullane did very well, especially when he came out into the half forward line. He uncharacteristically won some excellent aerial ball and contributed a lot more to overall play than he usually does. He got three lovely scorers too.

I found it confusing with 3 Waterford forwards having red helmets on. It may of been someother player.

How would you rate Kelly Performance ??.

Anyone know why Tony Browne didnt come on ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Pity the attendance was very poor for this game. Though I wonder how much 25 euro in had to do with it or was it more due to general apathy with hurling.

just watching the sunday game highlights kellys celebration after his goal was pretty ridiculous considering he was rubbish for most of the game. Weve not come to expect anything better but hes not a kid anymore and youd think hed rise above that at this stage. kinda makes us look silly

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I found it confusing with 3 Waterford forwards having red helmets on.
    not half as confusing as the radio commentator on rte, he hadn't a clue what was going on and to add to the confusion he was getting mixed up between Kearney and Daniels

At one stage Kearney cleared a ball off the Half back line and he said "look where Mullane is now" jaysus, I took the Earphone out at that stage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I actually thought that Kelly did okay in the first half. He was putting their backs under a lot of pressure which resulted in us winning breaking ball from him. He also showed a bit of guile to win the penalty. This isn't necessarily something to be commended but it is something which Waterford has always lacked. The celebration wouldn't bother me at all, that kind of crap goes on in games all the time. It certainly wasn;t a stellar performance from him but I'm certainly glad he was there to take the penalty. Lads have a serious vindictive hatred of this guy and should give him a break. He's been going very well for Passage lately and can hopefully bring that form into the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

On the sundae game what was eddie referring to about Laois and Vaughan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Aye, fair play to Ryan indeed, he took a lot of stick in the league and deserves praise for the recent run of competitve wins. I also feel that due credit and recognition needs to go to Ken and Cullinane for the positive and calming influence they have had on the team.

The management team should come in for particular praise today for their substitutions today, each one of them worked a treat and was well timed also, it made a welcome change from the Davy era when I felt very often he was slow to make a change.

I would not be too harsh on him. Pictures on the Sunday Game in the last few minutes clearly shows that he was well hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

LeftBlank wrote: »
    Pity the attendance was very poor for this game. Though I wonder how much 25 euro in had to do with it or was it more due to general apathy with hurling.

30 for those that had to pay the full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black Suir wrote: »
    I would not be too harsh on him. Pictures on the Sunday Game in the last few minutes clearly shows that he was well hooked.

I would. If I was a senior player or member of management I'd be having a word with him over it. He had the option of feeding players in a better position but took the selfish option. It almost cost us in the end, we'd have been very angry if Clare had won by a point. Gavin O'Brien did something similar in the first half, inexperience.

Black Suir wrote: »
    hardybuck wrote: »
    I would. If I was a senior player or member of management I'd be having a word with him over it. He had the option of feeding players in a better position but took the selfish option. It almost cost us in the end, we'd have been very angry if Clare had won by a point. Gavin O'Brien did something similar in the first half, inexperience.

I agree with Black Suir, its a learning point for the lads, and I'd like to think they'll be taken to one side and told to take a point in the situation or look for an easier goal chance. Dont mean to overly lambast them, they are young and like I said its just learning.

• Advertisement

Michael Ryan made a good point also that this was our first competitve game in 11 weeks. Certainly room to improve more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I agree with Black Suir, its a learning point for the lads, and I'd like to think they'll be taken to one side and told to take a point in the situation or look for an easier goal chance. Dont mean to overly lambast them, they are young and like I said its just learning.

The lad is in his fourth year in senior. A word in training and it shouldn't be happening again.

Lads have a serious vindictive hatred of this guy and should give him a break. He's been going very well for Passage lately and can hopefully bring that form into the Munster final.

I dunno about that I certainly dont have a vindictive hatred of him, in fact I try to root for him as best I can but when you see him still at that after all these years. Maybe it dosent make much odds but certainly dosent do anyone any favours.

Mullanes reaction with Davy was bizarre. In fairness Mullane has matured a lot in recent years unlike Kelly so maybe that was just banter rather than spite. Never forget Davy &Mullane rolling around the ground hugging and kissing after the AI semi v Tipp 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Had to laugh when the Sunday game showed back the Davy shouting at kelly incident. Pity anyone on the panel didnt have the stones to say what Mod Snip he shouldnt be acting like that on the sideline. Have a good little cry Davy tonite when before you go to sleep.

bruschi wrote: »
    not sure why so many of ye are getting so riled up that the 'experts' picked Clare to win. Many others tipped Waterford, and pretty much anyone who was calling this game thought it would be really close. If Clare scored that free at the end, does that make them all right and that Waterford are finished? no, it was a tight game that a lot of people thought could go either way, and thats what happened. Had Waterford came out and hammered Clare you might well say f*ck the media and all the other crap, but it was a tight win that could very very easily have gone the other way. Dont know why all the chip on the shoulder comments have to come out after a good win.

/rant.

It'd be one thing, Bruschi, if this was the first time but time and again we're listening to how Waterford are past it and how they'll get beaten, especially when it comes to Galway. If it annoys us I can only imagine how the players feel given the effort they are putting in. We may not be in Kilkenny's league but the team gets undersold far too often. And I think I heard one person say Waterford would win and that was Sean Moran in the Irish Times. Outside of that nobody was saying they'd win, even if they were saying it would be tight.
    I actually thought that Kelly did okay in the first half. He was putting their backs under a lot of pressure which resulted in us winning breaking ball from him. He also showed a bit of guile to win the penalty. This isn't necessarily something to be commended but it is something which Waterford has always lacked. The celebration wouldn't bother me at all, that kind of crap goes on in games all the time. It certainly wasn;t a stellar performance from him but I'm certainly glad he was there to take the penalty. Lads have a serious vindictive hatred of this guy and should give him a break. He's been going very well for Passage lately and can hopefully bring that form into the Munster final.

I don't, thought he was very average, I remember him keeping the ball alive for Shane Walsh's point but that was about it. Again, he was just blessed with penalty. The tv angle wasn't great, but it was as clear as day to me and I was gobsmacked that it was given. There was nothing subtle about it like. As for his reaction, I don't mind celebrating with the crowd but don't get in the players faces as you may yet rue it. I have no hatred of him either, just think he hasn't really shown an awful lot in the last few years and exceptions always seem to have to be made for him when he's around the panel without sufficient evidence to suggest that they should continue to allow that.

On a different note, I have to say I am disappointed with RTÉ. There was no need to go draggin up the footage of Fitzgerald from the sideline, and then typical of them to say people on Twitter asked them to 'investigate'it. Shameful stuff, especially when you consider them picking him up last year during the Limerick match and I can only assume it's intentional.

I think what Fitz said is a sign of what he thinks of the players and I have no sympathy for him for Waterford players celebrating after the match. I also think to much was made of that as while he was near I don't think they were right in front of him. While I have no doubt they wanted him to see how much it meant to them there can't be any complaints because he'd have been doing the exact same if Clare had won.

I think Davy knew what he was saying on the sideline was picked up so he was coy enough being interviewed after the match basically saying it was banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Intruder

That's a description of Molumphy 5 years ago. He is a shadow of his former self and I would not even have him in the squad. He has lost the ability to consistently win dirty ball which made him such a key component of our team. He's nothing but a liability these days. His contribution consists of finding as many opposition players as possible, running into them and falling over and losing the ball.

I love it when people get it so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Mullane quiet? Were you watching the same game?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Well said.
    Great work horse proved his worth again today :)

• Advertisement

At least he's offering his opinion on things!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement