Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

WHAT F*CKIN FITZ FACTOR

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Great game, Breath taking at the end.real edge of the seat stuff,proper dog fight. Great win for us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Was an enjoyable game. Would agree that Waterford got some easy decisions and a penalty that shouldn't have been. Those frees the corner forward they brought on got were soft enough.

Clare will be a tough side for anyone in the qualifiers, they've a great young team, a good tight game like today will bring on even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

jaysus, davy looks like sh^t

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Shane732 wrote: »
    I think you have the jersey colours mixed up

Neutral here.

The ref has given you some very easy frees and also a penalty that should have been a free out.

We all have a level of tunnel vision about our own counties I suppose.

Clare man here though both sides got their share of soft frees alright.

Well done to Waterford anyway just about deserved the win I think best if luck in the final, happy enough that we look well on the way to being compétitive at this level again.

• Advertisement

our "ageing team" did it again,

4 'elderly' championship debutants :rolleyes: + the aging twomey, o'neill, connors, tommy ryan change the game

theres a lot of miles left on our aging team.

F*ck RTE, F*ck Cyril Farrel, F*ck the media... this team is going to be around for the long haul.........and last but not least F*CK Michael Duignan and his "neutral" commentary

GO ON THE DEISE

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Love the bit where Davey had the row with the linesman...."I have 2 f***ing all ireland medals...what the F**k have you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

jaysus, davy looks like sh^t

Yeah, he looked like the manger of a team who'd just lost a tight game by a couple of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

marco_polo wrote: »
    Clare man here though both sides got their share of soft frees alright.

Well done to Waterford anyway just about deserved the win I think best if luck in the final, happy enough that we look well on the way to being compétitive at this level again.

Excellent post.....I think this one meant more to Waterford. Clare probably have a brighter future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

phew is all I can say,everything is there for them to make a run of it for the year,straighten up the injry list,and a little bit more menace in the forwards,and anything can happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Great game. After a lot of poor contests in both the football and hurling championships to date, we needed that today. Great stuff. I think we had a fair bit of luck with the penalty etc., but you'll take it when you can get it.

Just in relation to the Davy Fitz v Mullane thing - was jumping around celebrating myself so didn't see Mullane's celebration. I did hear Davy using a fair amount of bad language when there was a contested line ball at the start of the second half. He also shouted "I've won a few All Irelands and you've won nothing". Very classy Davy.

I thought all the debutants did very well. Daniels did well with a very difficult assignment. Mahony was quiet enough but didn't do a whole lot wrong. G.O'Brien struggled to find his feet, but did get a good point and will have learned a lot. O'Neill was excellent on introduction and could push for a start in the final. SOK was excellent and made a fantastic save to keep us in it. Happy to see him as a long term goalkeeper.

Molumphy - proved a lot of doubters wrong today, and I was certainly one of them. Won a huge amount of dirty ball, took a good point also. This was his best performance in a Waterford jersey in a while, hope he can continue that for the rest of the year.

With Conners now back in contention I'd like to see Daniels moved out to the half back line which is his more natural position, with Foley dropping out - thought he had a poor day at the office.

The half forward line did far better than I expected. Prendergast used his size to his advantage, and Shanahan got his hands on a fair amount of ball. Kelly was quiet enough, but might be worth having for the likes the penalty situation - can conjure up a goal when needed. Tipp's half back line is simply awesome though, they won't get things as easy again.

Full forward line - very hard working performance. Shane Walsh harried and hassled nicely, and Mullane was simply epic. Showed a new side to his game winning ball in the half forward line, as well as his usual few points and a few assists.

cornerboy wrote: »
    I think this one meant more to Waterford. Clare probably have a brighter future.

yeah because we have so many old fellas on our team it probably stands as a bit of a last hurrah for us......... me eye

Love the bit where Davey had the row with the linesman...."I have 2 f***ing all ireland medals...what the F**k have you"

measure of the man really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Mod Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

our "ageing team" did it again,

4 'elderly' championship debutants :rolleyes: + the aging twomey, o'neill, connors, tommy ryan change the game

theres a lot of miles left on our aging team.

F*ck RTE, F*ck Cyril Farrel, F*ck the media... this team is going to be around for the long haul.........and last but not least F*CK Michael Duignan and his "neutral" commentary

GO ON THE DEISE

6 debutants when you include O'Neill and Twomey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

hardybuck wrote: »
    6 debutants when you include O'Neill and Twomey.

Who all played very well I thought. Rumours of Waterfords demise are are greatly exaggerated.

I'd kill for a few experienced guys like Mulane, Brick and Kelly in the Clare team its exactly what we are lacking. The only reason we are such a young team is that we have no other choice, as we are pretty well missing an entire generation of intercounty standard hurlers from 25 upwards.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Who all played very well I thought. Rumours of Waterfords demise are are greatly exaggerated.

I'd kill for a few experienced guys like Mulane, Brick and Kelly in the Clare team its exactly what we are lacking. The only reason we are such a young team is that we have no other choice, as we are pretty well missing an entire generation of intercounty standard hurlers from 25 upwards.

ye have the right man in charge in fairness for having over such a young clare team. Alot of our young players learned alot from being brought on by Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

ye have the right man in charge in fairness for having over such a young clare team. Alot of our young players learned alot from being brought on by Fitz.
    intermediates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Who got man of the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭BQQ

hardybuck wrote: »
    Just in relation to the Davy Fitz v Mullane thing - was jumping around celebrating myself so didn't see Mullane's celebration. I did hear Davy using a fair amount of bad language when there was a contested line ball at the start of the second half. He also shouted "I've won a few All Irelands and you've won nothing". Very classy Davy.

In fairness to Davy, he was full of praise for Waterford in the post match interview.
    Got a question about the Mullane celebration and didn't criticise him at all.
    Made nothing of the penalty decision either.

Some people will always find something to be offended by though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just back in the door from Thurles, pleasently surprised by the win, for weeks I didnt think we would, although had a bit more confidence this week given some of the postive vibes coming from within the camp. Also very happy with the way we played, more open expressive stuff, players playing for each other and working the ball well largely and some lovely scores. Much more a team performance than massive individual ones. Plenty to work on for the next day though.

O Keeffe - Great stuff, made a couple of crucial saves and was very good with puck outs as well.
    Kearney - Not a good day for Ringo, got turned a few times in the first half and wasnt too surprised to see him withdrawn at HT
    Lawlor - Did well again, good to have a full back who realises the number 1 priority in that position is to get the ball out of there!
    Daniels - Not too convinced by him in the corner, but overall a good game, was certainly involved a lot
    Foley - Did okay, first touch let him down a bit, would put that down to lack of matches though. Scored a beaut of a long range free too
    Brick - Immense, especially in the first half. Would be my MOTM
    Mahoney - Great first half, not as invovled in the second. Made one great break but seemed unsure what to do with the possesion.
    Moran - Would run Brick close for MOTM, excellent performacne
    Molumphy - Has had a lot of critics around Waterford recently, but silenced them with his best performance in the blue and white for 2-3 years
    Shanahan - Did well as part of a half forwrd line that functioned well, 1 of the 2 frees he missed was disappointing, but overall did well from placed balls. Concerned by his lack of pace though
    Prendergast - Best game from Seamus in a long time, caught some great ball, was clearly b*llixed though in the last 10 mins
    Kelly - Great penalty, although apart from that didnt do a whole lot. Still looked fit and well up for it
    Mullane - Great performance, did well at the half forward line when brought out too
    Walsh - Did well, hasslled and harried. Correct decision to bring him off and get some fresh legs in there
    O Brien - Scored a lovely point, unlucky not to get a goal as well. Will have learned a lot, positive debut
    subs
    Connors - Solid without being spectacular, great to have him back
    O Brien - A real breath of fresh air, and won us 2 frees which were pointed immediately after coming on
    Ryan - Set up a lovely point for fellow sub Martin O Neill near the end. Should have knocked over a point himself right at the death though, to ensure the worst result for us could be a draw
    O Neill - Really like this guy as a player, great point.
    Twomey - Not on too long, but a 6 debutant for this 'ageing' team.

I havent seen the Davy/Kelly/Mullane thing, did see Mullane's celebration, regardless of what Davy said during the game, those sort of in your face celebrations are not needed, and could come back to bite us. Every chance we could meet Clare again this season and it would add hugely to their motivation if it happens.

Lets hope there's a good few more Waterford fans at the final. I was actually surprised to see that we matched Clare in terms of numbers today. Finally please let the Munster Final be fixed for Thurles regardless of who gets through, Cork or Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

My take on it is that he shouted at one of the Waterford players either Mullane or Kelly ''I won two ****ing all all ireland medals, how many have you won?''. Although Id imagine there must have been something said before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Delighted with the win, Molumphy, SOK, Brick, Moran Prender, Shane Walsh all did very well.
    Was just saying after the match we're some team to grind out those 1/2pt victories, I actually can't remember the last time we lost one of those tight games, maybe Cork AISF 06?
    Delighted for the lads, don't think many in the country gave them much hope but they proved the critics wrong.

Agree with Kev, hope the final is for Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    My take on it is that he shouted at one of the Waterford players either Mullane or Kelly ''I won two ****ing all all ireland medals, how many have you won?''. Although Id imagine there must have been something said before that.

Ye it was, then Mullane was his classy self at the after the match too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Also, it should be noted we now face into our 8th Munster final since 2002. Thats pretty incredible stuff for Waterford. I hope that our support havent gotten to the stage of just expecting to be in the Final each season, as that consistency isnt always likely to be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Intermediates:

Was very suprised how this game went. The team was well out of it's depth and left themselves a huge task going 0-8 to 0-0 score down in the first half. The main problem seemed to be the half forward line which was far too small, really. They brought Gavin Crotty out from full forward to midfield to creat space inside, and it seemed to work better. Seamus Lawlor got a very good point to get the team going, which was added to by Finan Murray from play and then Brian O'Halloran made a good run through the middle and offloaded to Jake Dillon who received the pass and scored a goal. Clare tagged on another point as did Waterford and I think there was 4 in it at half time.

I was bemused to see Seamus Lawlor had been taken off at half time, but obviously the Management saw something I didnt unless of course injury was the cause. Waterford were very sluggish at the start of the second half too, and Clare picked off plenty of easy points. Clare then goaled from a penalty to leave 11 between the sides. Waterford fought back, however, and outstanding finish by O'Halloran was matched by and outstanding solo effort from Eamon Murphy. Ray Barry then pointed and there was only four in it but at that late stage there was time for no more.

Clare probably took the foot of the gas but the two key instigators in Waterford's comeback were Eoin Madigan (excellent second half) and Ray Barry, who really raised questions as to why he didn't start. Disapointing performance overall it must be said.

Senior:

What can you say about this team really? Time and time again they prove the critics wrong. RTE said they'd lose on their website, as did Gizzy Lyng, John Meyler and Vincent Hogan on the Comittee Room, and Eddie Brennan in the Sunday Times (he also thought Offaly would beat Galway) and I have no doubt the Sunday Game panellists didn't make much of our chances. There is some resilience in this team, no question about it.

First thing I'll say is it should not have been a penalty. Kelly pulled the helmet off of Cian Dillon's head and I can't believe the ref missed it. Kelly took it well, but that was about as much as he did for the entire match and a competent referee (if there is such a thing) would have given a free against him, and what you say about his performance then? Felt he should have been brought off before Shane Walsh, who scored 1-1, though injury may have been the cause there as he went down a few times.

Thought the backs in general were outstanding. Daniels would be either man of the match or next in line for it, the way he marshalled Conor McGrath was very impressive. Liam Lawlor did well enough when he was involved. Ringo was doing alright before he came off, and Moran was catching great ball with Brick solid in the Centre as always. Didn't think Foley had a great first half I must say but he did battle hard. Mahony was excellent first half and was good through out, himself and Daniels really proved a point to Fitzgerald who didn't give them much of a look in the past two years. Then we come to Molumphy, who I guess probably was the man of the match. He's just immense the way he gets in players faces and intercepts and gobbles up balls when there are a few players trying to win the ball, got a good point to boot.

I didn't think Seamus was playing well but then I guess I wasn't really taking into consideration what his job was. He disrupted McInerney so well he got taken off, and did get on a lot of ball as well as scoring a point. The interchanging of the forwards gave Clare a lot of problems in the first half. Maurice was solid on frees and did well I felt. I though Gavin O'Brien did well on his debut too, also contributing to the scoreline and giving his man enough to think about. Mullane caused a good deal of damage on the wing and caught two great balls, another impressive performance from him.

Paul O'Brien did well when he came on, winning those two frees and Martin O'Neill did well too. Was impressed with Tommy Ryan's workrate as he setup O'Neill, and unlucky he didn't get a goal, maybe he should have stuck it over but he's good player to have when the game opens up.

Stephen O'Keeffe is a great keeper and made two excellent saves. It was fitting that from the second one it was Molumphy that came out with the ball as the full time whistle blew.

On the ref, I think he was very poor. He definitely favoured us first half, gave us one or two soft ones, the penalty and also denied Clare a few frees they were entitled to as well.

Thought he shifted into favouring Clare second half, dunno where he pulled 3 minutes of added time from, and there was definetly some frees I wasn't happy with.

On balance, we deserved the narrow victory I think but we've plenty to work on in terms of winning primary possession in the forwards. I was happy to note that we seemed to be using the ball fairly well and there wasn't too many instances of really wasteful ball played out of the backline which is something I think we have been guilty of the last few years.

Anyway, delighted with win, UP THE DÉISE! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Good win. Thought we played some good hurling and Im happy that we are playing more direct hurling with faster ball going into the forwards which caused Clare a lot of problems. Clare seem to be playing the similiar short passing style that we played under Davy which saw them have a lot of possesion. They also had a few wides and we took our chances by and large.My worry is that we could have pulled away a few times but we kept taking our foot of the gas at 4-5 points up and letting them back into it. We'll need greater intensity for the 70 mins for the Munster final. Clare are a decent enough side but it was obvious enough from early on that we had the beating of them. A few times I thought we were going to throw it away but just delighted to come out with a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Daniels did do well but it is worth mentioning he did cough up some soft frees, got booked and I think his marker (McGrath or Ryan) got a few points from him. Not being critical of the lad, thought he did do well to and fair play to him.

Delighted to have another crack at Tipp or Cork in a Munster final, hopefully to put right the wrongs of last year. Still plenty of room for improvement but we'll enjoy the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

BQQ wrote: »
    In fairness to Davy, he was full of praise for Waterford in the post match interview.
    Got a question about the Mullane celebration and didn't criticise him at all.
    Made nothing of the penalty decision either.

Some people will always find something to be offended by though :rolleyes:
    davy thinks he has loads of friends down here ,"the lads"well mullane,s reaction is exactly what it means to "the lads "to beat them ,delighted i am ,he is [davy]always well briefed about losing the head in post match interviews ,he had a big call near the end and told your man to tap it over the bar and they down by 3 points, NO BALLS that man NO BALLS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to our hurlers today, great to be back in another Munster Final
    How many times have we been written off by the "experts" and time and time
    again prove them wrong.

Thought Davy was very dignified in defeat and came across very well in his
    interview afterwards, praising the Waterford players and saying they don,t
    get the recognition they deserve.

Last but not least, the fans made a stand today as only 12,000 patrons turned up. Time for the "Gaa" to get a reality check with their prices

UP THE DEISE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement