Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted that you're going to come through this with a positive result tbh!

Hard to believe how many times she has denied hitting your car at this stage. Even after someone came out to her house to inspect the car. Has this woman not seen CSI? Paint transfer etc. If someone admits to their mistake then, as you said, fair enough. But she's really dragging this one along for a long time, for no ones benefit, least of all her own. Apparently the maximum punishment for having no insurance is 1 year off the road and a nasty fine. I hope the judge for this case is in a really foul humor when she arrives in the door!

what I find is weird is that she denies hitting me, and yet still allows the assessor to look at her car. If I was accused in the wrong, I wouldn't be taking any calls from anyone except the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭endacl

tbh wrote: »

what I find is weird is that she denies hitting me, and yet still allows the assessor to look at her car. If I was accused in the wrong, I wouldn't be taking any calls from anyone except the guards.
    My feeling is you needn't go looking for sense where she's concerned.
    This will resolve well for you. Just a pity you've had to wait so long while she avoids the inevitable.

I wonder where she's getting her advice from...?

endacl wrote: »
    I wonder where she's getting her advice from...?
    Probably reading the thread and wants to give it subscribers a good show :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Probably reading the thread and wants to give it subscribers a good show :pac:

I'm still convinced she's a peed off boardsie that tbh banned and is now on a vengance rampage :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

If there's a positive outcome to this thread I vote it gets sent to list of legendary boards threads.

Gripping stuff here.

5 *'s from me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

LOL at the insurance fraud ad popping up for me on this page, given the topic.
    The bots are after us...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Exactly.

10101869A%7EJohn-Travolta-Pulp-Fiction-Posters.jpg

You don't fcuk with another man's vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe she's going to try and say that a recently emigrated friend/relative was driving it at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

GreeBo wrote: »
    if her insurance had just lapsed by a week or so and she just renewed it then they will usually back date it...dunno would they if you had had an accident in the interim though...

I doubt this very much. She did not produce her documents to the gardai so I would say she is not insured.

Maybe she's going to try and say that a recently emigrated friend/relative was driving it at the time.

Checked that - registered owner is responsible.

• Advertisement

The driver is responsible for the accident not the owner, the owner could be charged with allowing someone drive it without insurance.
    It would be up to the owner to say who was driving it, the only way out of that is to report it stolen, too late for that now.

hondasam wrote: »

The driver is responsible for the accident not the owner, the owner could be charged with allowing someone drive it without insurance.
    It would be up to the owner to say who was driving it, the only way out of that is to report it stolen, too late for that now.

Ah - when I discussed this there were a few things that didn't make sense - they do now! Thanks

Ah - when I discussed this there were a few things that didn't make sense - they do now! Thanks

She had just made things worse for herself, The guard will do her for not producing her documents as requested.
    I would say she has no insurance and was trying to sort it with her insurance company with no joy.
    I'm interested to see how it finishes up.

hit-and-run-unrated-widescreen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Epic thread and read.

Subscribed and hoping for an ending in the near future.

No need to check with your own solicitor OP. I have it here for you and it's very interesting --
    http://www.balbriggansolicitor.ie/caraccidents.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

No need to check with your own solicitor OP. I have it here for you and it's very interesting --
    http://www.balbriggansolicitor.ie/caraccidents.html

Personally i'd call 999 and consult my solicitor;)

That speil is obviously copied from some american ambulance chaser!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

hondasam wrote: »

The owner is vicariously liable. The driver is deemed to be the agent of the owner. Both can be sued and should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

pred racer wrote: »
    Personally i'd call 999 and consult my solicitor;)

That speil is obviously copied from some american ambulance chaser!

I was partially wondering how you can leave a note for the driver of the parked car saying what happened, and your details, and also not admit liability.

"Dear person, your parked car leapt out at me as I was passing - I put it back in the space for you, and here are my contact details."?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Thoie wrote: »
    I was partially wondering how you can leave a note for the driver of the parked car saying what happened, and your details, and also not admit liability.
    Hey I just hit you
    I was driving crazy
    So here's my details
    call me maybe?

• Advertisement

The owner is vicariously liable. The driver is deemed to be the agent of the owner. Both can be sued and should be.

Is that not what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is that a statement of the law or opinion vis a vis a principle?

How far would you take it? Would a finance company as a legal owner under a hire purchase agreement be liable? How about Hertz? I can see an employer being vicariously liable for the wrongs (torts) of its employees in the performance of their duties or a principal for the actions of its agent but the owner of a car for the actions of a driver which it was not controlling? Bit of a stretch (both in law and principle) IMO.

phill106 wrote: »
    Hey I just hit you
    I was driving crazy
    So here's my details
    call me maybe?

"Glad you are were not here when i hit your car.
    Loads of people watching me writing this now and
    they think i'm leaving my details for you,
    but i'm not"

I've been following this and can't wait for the news tomorrow when the visit happens, best go to sleep now to make it come faster. Like Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Any news today tbh? Can't be having this thread slip into obscurity on the 3rd page!

phill106 wrote: »
    Any news today tbh? Can't be having this thread slip into obscurity on the 3rd page!

Have to ring the guard tonight at nine. Even money says she'll have forgotten all about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Explain to the guard that there is a whole lot of people waiting on tenderhooks for the outcome.

In fact ask the gard to update this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Any chance of a live stream of the phone call?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Any chance of a live stream of the phone call?

I have a feeling we're gonna be disappointed lads. Either the guard won't be there, or she won't have done anything, or the other driver won't have been home. Not long to go, I'll be back!

• Advertisement

I have a feeling we're gonna be disappointed lads. Either the guard won't be there, or she won't have done anything, or the other driver won't have been home. Not long to go, I'll be back!

Have some faith in her, she will not have forgotten.

Advertisement