Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

So I caved and got myself an 800. Already came with the updates installed in the O2 shop. Am loving it so far. Screen is sharp, easy to use and battery life is reasonable.

Am also impressed with how the blacks truly are black!

The one observation I've made is that the camera, although good, is not great. My 5MP Nokia C5 has a a far better focus on it. Is there any plan by nokia to resolve this issue via software or is it primarily a hardware issue?

I'm also wondering too if Tango is coming to the 800? Apologies if it's already been said but wading through all of the pages can be a little confusing..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

TBi wrote: »
    Lumia 800 for E375 on amazon.de at the moment. Very tempted... but still not sure if i need an upgrade for my Trophy. One question is... black or cyan?

Cyan. Its beautiful. I was torn between it and pink but got the pink, can't imagine having black now. 375 is grand when you think they're still over 400 when locked to one network, mine was 430 from amazon.de. The price will jump slightly for vat adjustment but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

FGR wrote: »
    So I caved and got myself an 800. Already came with the updates installed in the O2 shop. Am loving it so far. Screen is sharp, easy to use and battery life is reasonable.

Am also impressed with how the blacks truly are black!

The one observation I've made is that the camera, although good, is not great. My 5MP Nokia C5 has a a far better focus on it. Is there any plan by nokia to resolve this issue via software or is it primarily a hardware issue?

I'm also wondering too if Tango is coming to the 800? Apologies if it's already been said but wading through all of the pages can be a little confusing..!

I feel your pain with the camera. It really is poor considering how cameras of the last two years have performed. There definitely is a focus issue, and it is not cool.

Tango is coming. It is already available on rooted handsets. At the moment it seems that the big feature of the Tango release will be tethering. Hopefully it will be one of a few big features on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

Really like the look of the 800 and my 3GS has seen better days (and a bit sick of iOS). So it's basically a toss up between replacing my 3GS with either a Lumia 800 (maybe 900 if and when it reaches here) or a HTC One S.

My main dilemma is that I use Whatsapp on a daily basis and heard that it doesn't play nicely with WP7, specifically that the push notifications don't work and the only way to retrieve your Whatsapp messages is to open the app and check manually. Does anyone have experience of using Whatsapp with a Lumia 800?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Whatsapp works fine on my Lumia. There is push notification, the only thing is that there is no icon to indicate that you have a message on the locked screen (if you happen to miss the beep and flash notice on receipt of the message) so essentially you have to unlock the screen and look at the icon to see if there's a message there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

adox wrote: »
    Just a quick question on voice recognition. Ive starting using it in the car with a bluetooth set to reply to text messages but cant figure out how to say a full stop, comma etc. If I use the words they just appear as the words.

Is this Siri style functionality? Did they resuscitate that irritating MS paperclip to talk back? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is this Siri style functionality? Did they resuscitate that irritating MS paperclip to talk back? :pac:

Yeah it's like a simplified version of Siri. You can make calls, send text messages etc and have them read out to you. You can also open up apps with voice commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

One question is... black or cyan?

Cyan :)

Untitled-13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Ronan H wrote: »
    I feel your pain with the camera. It really is poor considering how cameras of the last two years have performed. There definitely is a focus issue, and it is not cool..

agree,camera is really bad...colour is strange,focus random and quality no better than my old 3GS but maybe with updates might get better....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Have complained a bit in this thread over the last few months regarding the Lumia... Not so much about the windows platform but heres a couple of things ive noticed about my experience in recent times.

Regardless of the battery issues which were a major one for any early Lumia owner, I am finding other things frustrating.

I am not sure if this happans to anyone else, but I find the Call forwarding icon constantly staying on, also the Data roaming triangle will come on and stay on a good bit. I have poor enough signal in work and at home but It just bugs me that they stay on most of the day.. Checked out the settings and can't see that I am doing anything wrong.

Second gripe is the Notifications systems or lack of. I am not sure if this is a Windows Platform problem or the Lumia. My biggest annoyance is when you wake the phone up you start getting email or other notifications even though they are set up every 15 minutes to send for email.Agreed you need a certain amount of signal strength to get notifications but I remember even with my crappy 3G iPhone it was much better. BTW that doesn't happan all the time but its random.

Whatsapp sometimes works great, other times you need to physically go into the app and you might see 3 messages in a row that never got notified to the live tile. That is very annoying.

It's hard to point fingers at who's to blame.. I have had issues with the Lumia & with the windows platform but Its not a match made in heaven. I hope WP8 will be better cause if not Its back to IOS for me.

• Advertisement

Are you with 3 by any chance? Sounds like a carrier issue not a phone or OS problem.

micko2009 wrote: »
    Have... SNIP

It's hard to point fingers at who's to blame.. SNIP

You hit the nail on the head there, there are a few ossues going on there and they might all have a different cause, but I do agree that some of it sounds like a carrier issue, particularly the call forwarding and data roaming malarkey.

The notifications may just be a difference in the two OS's (you compared it to IOS).

On the WhatsApp thing, someone else mentioned a few posts ago about having to manually check for messages , but another person reported that it worked just fine, so that one is hard to nail down. Maybe settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ronan H wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head there, there are a few ossues going on there and they might all have a different cause, but I do agree that some of it sounds like a carrier issue, particularly the call forwarding and data roaming malarkey.

The notifications may just be a difference in the two OS's (you compared it to IOS).

On the WhatsApp thing, someone else mentioned a few posts ago about having to manually check for messages , but another person reported that it worked just fine, so that one is hard to nail down. Maybe settings?

I believe, with Whatsapp, you have to have it in your LiveTiles. You will get an icon on the tile and a toast notification, which isn't the best but that's down to MS to overhaul that aspect of it.

chrislad wrote: »
    I believe, with Whatsapp, you have to have it in your LiveTiles. You will get an icon on the tile and a toast notification, which isn't the best but that's down to MS to overhaul that aspect of it.

I think the OP is using the live tile though. The issue is that notifications are not being pushed to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Just using Whatsapp as an example I don't think the live tile notification is that reliable anyway. Say you get a push notification when the phone is locked.. Sometimes you won't hear this.. You look at the live tile for whatsapp and there is no change to it... Then you have to physically open the app and see what messages are there.

I have noticed the same for other live tile apps aswell. I am on three, that could be part of the problem but it does seem like a more widespread issue. WP8 needs a lock screen notifications system like IOS..

Yeah a lockscreen notification system would be great indeed.

I've just installed WhatsApp to see how it runs. I'll watch out for notifications that come in while the phone is locked and see what happens to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I may be missing something here but, I have 2 emails set up on the phone, a gmail account and a work e-mail account and both get notifications pushed out to them in real time. The tiles also show if you have new mail.

On the lock screen, while there isnt a ios style notification, there is an icon for the two different mails to show you if there is new mail in them and of course an audible sound every time an e-mail arrives.

adox wrote: »
    I may be missing something here but, I have 2 emails set up on the phone, a gmail account and a work e-mail account and both get notifications pushed out to them in real time. The tiles also show if you have new mail.

On the lock screen, while there isnt a ios style notification, there is an icon for the two different mails to show you if there is new mail in them and of course an audible sound every time an e-mail arrives.

Sorry, yes you are correct in that. That is a lockscreen notification system for sure. I guess what I am referring to is the comparison between the IOS LSNs and the WP ones. It's more advanced on IOS, and from what I can remember of my brief affair with iProducts, more interactive too?

Still haven't heard from anyone on WhatsApp to see how it functions under lockscreen. They all must be using Viber!

*** hint hint Windows Phone people, get a move on! ***

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm one step closer to getting my 800 but one thing that has just started to worry me, I am on Meteor, and I see back a few pages that there are problems with phone updates on meteor and 3.
    I'm not sure I want to change over to Vodafone or o2 but what if I got an 'unlocked' second hand phone, would that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's fairly easy to force the phone to update. Meteor don't do anything to the firmware, bar put their internet APN settings in there - no splash screens etc - I forced my Meteor 800 to upgrade nearly 7 weeks ago with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm one step closer to getting my 800 but one thing that has just started to worry me, I am on Meteor, and I see back a few pages that there are problems with phone updates on meteor and 3.
    I'm not sure I want to change over to Vodafone or o2 but what if I got an 'unlocked' second hand phone, would that help?

Yes developed unlocked phones get updates faster. But you can force updates for any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

You can buy it cheaper from amazon.de unlocked, why would you want to buy in Ireland? Unless you specifically want white.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Yes developed unlocked phones get updates faster. But you can force updates for any network.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Dub XV wrote: »
    How?

Google the cab sender method.

Not true, if you have a Meteor Lumia 800 you will get the firmware when Meteor push it too your phone, dev unlocked or not.

Any Nokia Lumia can be updated to any firmware even if the phone is locked. Updating this way using the Nokia software will reset your phone

The cab sender method will work on any Lumia 800 even if your phone is locked. This method will keep all your data and is the easiest method but (there's always a but) you cannot chose the firmware. The good part is that this is not really a problem with the Windows Phone.

So you can update the firmware yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Linked in app now available.

http://t.co/RISFOZso

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

You can buy it cheaper from amazon.de unlocked, why would you want to buy in Ireland? Unless you specifically want white.

It's €375 on amazon.de! Couldn't afford that.
    I meant second hand, from adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

We're looking at these win phones and are trying to get a handle on the connectivity issues. Why don't they have removable mass storage like every other phone?

According to gsmarena they 'do' WiFi and USB connections but you have to have some app called zune on your pc to tranfer files. This seems very restrictive. I may not be going to tranfer my music collection onto the phone but we will certainly want to transfer a few photos from the phone to pc without 'big brother' looking over our shoulder.

A more pressing issue will be the desire to locally back up the address book and calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mbur wrote: »
    We're looking at these win phones and are trying to get a handle on the connectivity issues. Why don't they have removable mass storage like every other phone?

According to gsmarena they 'do' WiFi and USB connections but you have to have some app called zune on your pc to tranfer files. This seems very restrictive. I may not be going to tranfer my music collection onto the phone but we will certainly want to transfer a few photos from the phone to pc without 'big brother' looking over our shoulder.

A more pressing issue will be the desire to locally back up the address book and calendar.

Its not much of nuisance as many people imagine it to me. Backing up music and pictures is simple. Whenever I need to get my pics of my phone i just plug it into the PC and it automatically copies it or moves them all to the PC. Less hassle than going through various folders on memory card to find the pics. Its simpler I think and faster since its all done automatically. Its really simple once you install Zune. My boss was sceptical about using Zune till I actually installed it and he got to use it and figure out how simple it is.

Alternatively you can set your phone to upload all your photos to Sky Drive as soon as you take them so you will never have to use a cable. Just log into your Hotmail and they all will be on your Sky Drive.

Not sure what email you use, but if you use exchange, Hotmail or Google mail once you enter your email address, all your contacts will be synced from or to the cloud, same goes for calendar, so you never really have to worry about loosing your contacts or calendar entries. I haven't had a contact on a sim card for the past 3 years seeing as all my contacts and calendar address are saved on my Hotmail and whenever I change phone I just enter in my email address and bam all my stuff is there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

Alternatively you can set your phone to upload all your photos to Sky Drive as soon as you take them so you will never have to use a cable. Just log into your Hotmail and they all will be on your Sky Drive.

Be very wary of this as your only option. Photos taken on the camera that are uploaded to Skydrive are not the same quality as when originally taken. They are highly compressed e.g. I have a photo that is over 2mb on my phone and also when imported using the zune software, however the file that was uploaded to skydrive is only 181KB.

Advertisement