Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Totally agree. I have no interest in using rooted firmware unless there is a major benefit in doing so. I'll hang on until the mainstream version is out. Fair play to them, they are working hard at putting out the updates!

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

There is an app called testmynet in the US marketplace is there any way of downloading it here? would a us vpn work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

There is an app called testmynet in the US marketplace is there any way of downloading it here? would a us vpn work?

The only way to do it is if you have a dev unlocked device. You can download xap and load it on.

On the Internet tethering thing. I saw before my eyes last night, a Windows phone sharing it's connection so an iPad could avail of it. I think it was a HTC but I can't remember 100%, I must have been in shock. How would this be a feature on another Windows phone if we are all on the same OS versions, or are there different flavours?

I extremely doubt that it was rooted or fiddled as the owner is not a techie person.

Story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Related note - have a problem.
    Have aNokia Lumia 710 - it wont charge and they're sending me another one tomorrow.
    I'm scared of losing all my contacts - but cant find anywhere an option to transfer the contacts from the phone to the SIM.
    Anyone know how to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Ronan H wrote: »
    On the Internet tethering thing. I saw before my eyes last night, a Windows phone sharing it's connection so an iPad could avail of it. I think it was a HTC but I can't remember 100%, I must have been in shock. How would this be a feature on another Windows phone if we are all on the same OS versions, or are there different flavours?

I extremely doubt that it was rooted or fiddled as the owner is not a techie person.

Story with that?

I've had internet sharing on my LG Optimus 7 for months now, surprised to hear you don't have in on the Nokia.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Story with that?

My HTC Titan has it out of the box. It's just something Nokia didn't get around to implementing before they released the phones.

OEM's can implement features, like the EQ and attentive phone features HTC has in their phones.

kstand wrote: »
    Have aNokia Lumia 710 - it wont charge and they're sending me another one tomorrow.
    I'm scared of losing all my contacts - but cant find anywhere an option to transfer the contacts from the phone to the SIM.

Your contacts should be store in your live id. When you set up your new phone your contacts will be downloaded.

Also after you set up your new phone download Reinstaller from the marketplace. That app lets you reinstall all your apps without having to go looking for them again.

mad muffin wrote: »
    My HTC Titan has it out of the box. It's just something Nokia didn't get around to implementing before they released the phones.

OEM's can implement features, like the EQ and attentive phone features HTC has in their phones.

Your contacts should be store in your live id. When you set up your new phone your contacts will be down loaded.

Live ID? I never set that up - is there no way to copy contacts from phone to SIM as I've always done?

Story with that?

Nokia phones are the only ones that don't have that feature enabled. Apparently its coming soon in an update bundled in with Tango.
    kstand wrote: »

There's no need to back them up. When you get a new phone and put in your Hotmail in again it will restore your contacts from the cloud again. Once you have a Windows Live ID set up or a Hotmail in the phone it will back up all your contacts, it will restore them if you move to a new phone.

If you wanna check to make sure their backed up just log into Hotmail and go look into your contacts and you will see whats there, though they should all automatically sync

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

how do you get your contacts to sync with hotmail acc?..i checked my account and the contacts have not updated..is there something i have to force to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Bulmers wrote: »
    how do you get your contacts to sync with hotmail acc?..i checked my account and the contacts have not updated..is there something i have to force to do this?

Settings->Email & Accounts->tap+hold on windows live->click sync

TBi wrote: »

Settings->Email & Accounts->tap+hold on windows live->click sync

Assuming one has a Hotmail account. Bulmers do you? If not, add one at the above Email & Accounts page...and then do the sync bit...

Your Hotmail/Windows Live ID is the email address you registered in the start in order to access the marketplace. You were asked to create a live ID. Without making one you wouldn't be able to download apps or sync contacts, calendar or trace your phone or remote install apps from windows phone website

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-ie/apps/windows-live.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

yes have hotmail account and sync'd hotmail but when i check contacts in my hotmail acc, i dont have the contacts from my phone..

is there a tickbox anywhere that i need to tick to sync phone contacts - i have mailforexchange and there is an option under the settings in email to tick what you want sync'd.

dont seem to have this for hotmail account..

yes have hotmail account and sync'd hotmail but when i check contacts in my hotmail acc, i dont have the contacts from my phone..

is there a tickbox anywhere that i need to tick to sync phone contacts - i have mailforexchange and there is an option under the settings in email to tick what you want sync'd.

dont seem to have this for hotmail account..

That's strange. How did you add the account? Did you use mailforexchange or did you set up as a windows live account? Do you have other accounts on the phone? Maybe they are syncing there.

Go into any contact on the phone and click edit, does it say "Edit windows live"? If it says something else like "Edit google" or "edit facebook" then that's the account where your contacts are syncing to.

Look Under Settings -> Email + Accounts if you go in you should see Hotmail or Windows Live or Whatever you named your email. It should have a flag icon beside it.

When going into it it should

[ Account Name ]

[Download New Content]

[Download Email From]

scaled.php?server=40&filename=screencapture2y.jpg&res=landing

This is how my account looks like when I go into it. Hotmail is an exchange server unless you somehow managed to set up pop Hotmail. Then that way your contacts wouldn't sync.

You can add a Windows Live ID by going to same place under Email + Accounts

scaled.php?server=819&filename=screencapturel.jpg&res=landing

Look Under Settings -> Email + Accounts if you go in you should see Hotmail or Windows Live or Whatever you named your email. It should have a flag icon beside it.

When going into it it should

[ Account Name ]

[Download New Content]

[Download Email From]

scaled.php?server=40&filename=screencapture2y.jpg&res=landing

This is how my account looks like when I go into it. Hotmail is an exchange server unless you somehow managed to set up pop Hotmail. Then that way your contacts wouldn't sync.

You can add a Windows Live ID by going to same place under Email + Accounts

scaled.php?server=819&filename=screencapturel.jpg&res=landing

Great stuff - thanks ever so much. Manged to get it done just before the phone died. If there was a "buy you a pint" icon I'd stick it on this. Thanks ever so much.

Lumia 800 for E375 on amazon.de at the moment. Very tempted... but still not sure if i need an upgrade for my Trophy. One question is... black or cyan?

Lumia 800 for E375 on amazon.de at the moment. Very tempted... but still not sure if i need an upgrade for my Trophy. One question is... black or cyan?

800? Don't you mean 900?

800? Don't you mean 900?

Eh... no...

I don't need a big screen on my phone, don't see the point of the 900.

• Advertisement

Eh... no...

I just thought that the price is quite expensive for the 800.

I just thought that the price is quite expensive for the 800.

Please tell me where you can get a Cyan Lumia 800 for a good price? Unlocked and from a reputable seller.

Please tell me where you can get a Cyan Lumia 800 for a good price? Unlocked and from a reputable seller.

Well I sold a black one unlocked and two weeks old for €250 :p

If you want Cyan though then I guess...

Well I sold a black one unlocked and two weeks old for €250 :p

If you want Cyan though then I guess...

Second hand != New

or if you are more familiar with Basic

Second hand <> New

Eh... no...

Well the 900 has

RGB matrix on the screen so the graphics are going to look a bit sharper, also the bigger screen might appeal to some more than the others.
    Front Facing Camera, might be important to some
    It also has tethering, gyroscope and it runs tango :)

and it doesn't have the floppy charging port door, which was quit a bad usability decision even though it looks good when its covered.

Those points appeal to me very much, they didn't appeal to me on the 800.

Though aesthetics wise I think the 800 with its curved screen and smaller size is a bit more appealing, the geeky person in me chooses function over design :) Hence why ill be picking it up soon when it launches in Ireland.

Though one major draw back of the 900 is that it doesnt have a BSI sensor in its camera. So pictures wont be as good as my Titan :(

Well the 900 has
    <SNIP>

I agree it has a lot of nice extra things, but they could have put them in the 800. It's actually one of the reasons i haven't got an 800 yet. I want the specs of the 900, in a 800 size body/screen.

Apple have crammed more into the smaller 4s than Nokia has crammed into the gigantic 900!

I really like WP7 but (ignoring the processor) there is no hardware out there that grabs me at the moment. I don't care if it only has single processor, but i do want accelerometer, BSI camera, FFC, tethering.

Second hand is not equal to new, yes, but there have been plenty unlocked examples, still in the cellophane wrapping, on Adverts.ie over the last few weeks. You still may not agree that that is not equal to new, but for the sake of saving €50 to €100, it's new enough for me!

Edit: Sorry, I have edited the bajaysus out of this post, taken out quotes etc... I was waffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just a quick question on voice recognition. Ive starting using it in the car with a bluetooth set to reply to text messages but cant figure out how to say a full stop, comma etc. If I use the words they just appear as the words.

adox wrote: »
    Just a quick question on voice recognition. Ive starting using it in the car with a bluetooth set to reply to text messages but cant figure out how to say a full stop, comma etc. If I use the words they just appear as the words.

I've done a bit of Googling. It seems that you can't do it, but I am baffled as to why it isn't possible...

http://forums.wpcentral.com/os-discussion/181509.htm

Seems like a very basic thing to not have.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Well the 900 has
    <SNIP>

I agree it has a lot of nice extra things, but they could have put them in the 800. It's actually one of the reasons i haven't got an 800 yet. I want the specs of the 900, in a 800 size body/screen.

Apple have crammed more into the smaller 4s than Nokia has crammed into the gigantic 900!

I really like WP7 but (ignoring the processor) there is no hardware out there that grabs me at the moment. I don't care if it only has single processor, but i do want accelerometer, BSI camera, FFC, tethering.

Couldn't agree with that more, though im sure everyone has a dream phone or a pc.
    Though its hard to always find exactly what your looking for, otherwise you wouldn't buy a phone again in your life :)

Nokia sort or quickly threw together all the current wp7 line up. All the current line of Lumia's are Symbian or Meego devices quickly updated to run wp7 to launch it together with mango launch. Might explain the missing functions.

Hence why I sort of stayed away from the 800. I hope with the launch of WP8 they will have something small and high in specs.

I really can't stand right now the way android is going with bigger is always better philosophy. I don't want a huge screen and iPhone is way too small.

Then again if I had a Lumia 800, 900 i would be complaining because you get a lot of features for the price 800,900 are both marginally cheaper than the iPhone. So its a good bargain I think. Especially on contract, 200 +- on contract for an iPhone 4S. 99 euro for a Lumia 800

Advertisement